adriannie911

Will I ever be okay with 8 ft. ceilings?!?!

Adrianne D.
10 years ago
We live is suburban NOLA and are lucky to own out house and the vacant lot next door. It makes for an amazing backyard for our kids. The problem is our house is too small! We are considering a major renovation but there are somethings that I just can't change...like the height of our ceilings.

I have googled for inspiration to see if I could love them and have been coming up short. Any advice on how to make low ceilings great ?!?!

Comments (10)

• Debbie
    10 years ago
    We have 8 ft. ceilings in our house. Ditto to EVERYTHING karemore55 said! She rocks! I've learned the hard way with paint colors. Stay light. We ended up choosing an off-white (not bright ceiling white) for the ceilings and have used the same ceiling color throughout the house. It compliments the wall colors. 8 ft. ceiling are livable!
    Adrianne D. thanked Debbie
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Really, I think your light exposure has more to do with how light or dark your house feels.

Anyway, lower ceilings = lower heating bills!
  • Adrianne D.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's another pic of the exterior. Thanks for the advice!!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Ooh ya! Adrianne, your home is beautiful! I hope you will let us Houzzers help you with the decorating once your addition is done!
    Adrianne D. thanked karemore55
  • Debbie
    10 years ago
    Another lesson learned on the ceiling...use flat paint. We have eggshell on the walls, but flat on the ceilings. I guess it really depends on what type of texture you have. We replaced all the popcorn ceiling with a knock-down texture.
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    I feel like I'm in a Hobbit house with 8' ceilings, but never fear, it's not the end of the world. First poster has good ideas. Also, do without draperies/curtains if you are able. Avoid piling on top of book cases, cabinets, etc. Keep furnishings light colored, and window coverings in the same hues. De-clutter. Let in the light. Celebrate your extra lot!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    A few other ideas that might be helpful:

1. Avoid using overhead ceiling lights and fans because they draw the eye upward.

2. If you can afford some structural changes, raise the interior door openings up close to the ceiling.

3. Use a tall vase for floral arrangements like seasonal grasses and blossoming branches as part of your decor. They will slow the eye movement as it gradually moves upward.

4. Cover the lower part of the walls with bead board and then paint the upper part of the walls and the ceiling the same color. Otherwise, paint your ceiling a lighter color than the walls.

5. Hang curtains or window coverings as high as possible from ceiling to floor.

6. Use lower furniture with low or no arm rests to help emphasize the distance between furniture and ceiling.

Your home is beautiful, even if it feels like a hobbit. Go outside with your kids if you get any feelings of discomfort -- fresh air, children and play always helps! :)

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    Use gloss or semi-gloss on your ceilings. The reflective quality, of gloss paint, will make your ceilings appear higher, especially in large rooms, where your ceiling is always in your field of vision.

[houzz=
    School House Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • Dwayne McAllister
    4 months ago

I live in Edmonton, Canada and I bought a house built in 1964, the builder ( George Golden - Golden Homes ) had certain design ideas, although back in that era 8' ceilings were standard he built all his houses with 8' tall interior door's except in the basement. This may seem odd but actually it makes the house seem more open and the ceiling feels taller. Yes it is unusual but it's nice.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.