germanshorthairpointer

Any suggestion for updating withou spending a fortune?

Just got a house and would like to update this kitchen with minimum spending until I can afford fully renovate in 5 years time.
Having read other discussion I would like to...

-Paint all the cabinets white
-Replace the worktop to laminated white marble pattern
-Paint the tiles/splash back to light blue
-Replace the oven and cooker
-Lay a new wood cheap flooring
-Take one unit out to create more space

Could someone kindly advise me what other things would you do to modernise this kitchen to have an impact without spending a fortune or if my list of things are right thing to do? And is there any creative solution to utilise the bookshelf section next to the oven?

Comments (23)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    There is one cabinet in your first picture to the right that looks painted. I would try to go with that colour that looks an ivory grey rather than a white... White may be too harsh and with low light, it tends to reflect a cold grey rather than a warm light. Hard to tell, but that is what I am seeing right now.Again the laminated marble pattern is probably the worst direction you can go in because it doesn't look real. Also you are back to the grey/white problem again. You are better off going with a wild pattern that clearly demonstrates it is a printed surface rather than something trying to be something else. You said you like modern - what about a laminate in a colour you like - such as a teal or red or yellow https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-houzz-38-years-of-renovations-help-artists-live-their-dream-eclectic-kitchen-montreal-phvw-vp~3174799 it is up to you how you live - do you need more space or will you regret the storage. I can see a perfect spot for a microwave in the unit you want to take out. But I would remove the shelf unit by your oven (still leaving some counterspace next to the hob)
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    It's not necessary to paint the cabinetry, perhaps just remove the wallpaper and update the hardware.
  • PRO
    Stone Harbor Hardware
    10 years ago
    I would start with new wall paint and hardware (easiest and most economical options) and then go from there. There are some laminate countertops that don't look like standard laminate tops - check out some of the "HD" counters.
  • mfwolfe
    10 years ago
    Taking out the unit as you suggest would open up the table area. Good idea. Remove wall paper and paint after you take out the unit. Pause and see what you have then. You may want new flooring at that point. For a small room it isn't a big investment so that could be your second step. At that point you could start saving for cabinets and countertop. That is the big expense in a kitchen.
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
  • germanshorthairpointer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you ASVInteriors for your advices. Matching with the existing cabinet color sounds like a good idea. Saves me from painting it.

I understand what you mean by the laminated countertop though I hope the technology has come a long way compare to the laminated this kitchen's worktop. Saw the photo of the link bold color looks fun!
  • germanshorthairpointer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Dytecture for you suggestion. Very tempted to paint the cabinets though as it looks like the easiest thing that can be done even a by me, a novice DIY person.
  • iwantit
    10 years ago
    Where is the refrigerator? Is it that appliance next to the sink where the dishwasher should go? Are you OK with that?
    Is that table the only eating area you have in the house? Cause if it isn't then I'd put a dishwasher in and get a full refrigerator in that cabinet area, where the pantry is that, you want to get rid of.
  • germanshorthairpointer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you stone harbour hardware, in the photos the laminated countertops looks nice with different edges to choose from.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    You don’t have a full size fridge from the looks of it. I’d figure out a spot for one and put a dishwasher in the spot the little under counter fridge is now.
  • germanshorthairpointer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you pgteach! Your comment is eye opening. I have moved from a super modern flat in Tokyo to this over 100 year old period property....super overwhelmed with the renovation. I like the blind idea.
  • germanshorthairpointer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you mfwolfe. Yes space is crucial for us!
  • germanshorthairpointer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Warner Decor, love the transparent chair!
  • germanshorthairpointer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Iwantit, dish washer is next to the fridge that is open toward the sink,,,,and the freezer is inside the cabinet second from the left. We do have a separate dining room using for entertaining mainly so being able to eat in the kitchen is a must for us.
  • germanshorthairpointer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    JudyGDesings, no I don't have a full size fridge. It is my first time using this kind of freezer and fridge. We are planning to buy a full size fridge and store it in the basement for that does not fit in the fridge in the kitchen fridge/freezer.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Charming kitchen . Love the big window and built in cabinet. It adds such charm. Your wood cabinets look to be of nice quality. I would not paint them. Just add some nice hardware. Your white back splash is fine. The floor isn't that bad either. I'd paint the walls. If you want a new floor, consider cork. It's easy to keep, not expensive and good for the environment. Doesn't involve killing trees. Plus it comes in many colors.
  • PRO
    VT Industries
    10 years ago
    We'd suggest taking a look at laminate countertop options. Yes, they have come along way! Take a look at our VT Dimensions: http://vtindustries.com/dimensions-countertops. VT Dimensions countertops take the look of natural surfaces at a fraction of the price. Let us know if you have any questions!
  • danaschatzle
    10 years ago
    Hi, congratulations. I agree, paint is awesome, inexpensive and can really change the way things look. I'd be cautious though painting tiles. I would be fearful that most paints would peel off of the tile because of the surface of the tile. Painting things white is good, you can always buy an inexpensive colorful throw rug for under the table, change the curtains and hang a funky light fixture too. Good luck!
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Don't paint tiles. I would not suggest a rug under your table. That would visually chop up the space. Take baby steps first before you embark on a big project.
  • Jennifer Owen
    10 years ago
    Here are some options in blue for the backsplash that you are looking to do. They are our new glass Aspect tiles in Storm and Morning Dew. The can be applied right over your existing tile!
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I can see this kitchen All White and then paint the ceiling blue;) Get a couple new light fixtures and some new blue and white curtains... could be so charming;)
    White Marble Kitchen · More Info

Inverted Box Pleat Curtain, Yosca Blue · More Info
  • PRO
    Switch Lighting & Design
    10 years ago
    A white Link fixture would look so lovely with those colors!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.