edubya

POLL: Standing Desks - Yes or No?

Emily H
10 years ago
Standing desks have become more popular as people have realized just how much time they spend sitting while they work. Would you use a standing desk?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (133)

• G B
    9 years ago
    Yes please
  • hmf195
    9 years ago
    I, as many other drafters, architects, designers have used standing desks for hundreds of years.
    Whats the big deal?
  • Anne Pratt
    9 years ago
    hmf195, the big deal is the rest of the world caught on.

I personally use a walking desk, or treadmill desk, with my computer. I find standing difficult and we all know that "sitting is the new smoking." so it's ideal.
  • ispyeone
    9 years ago
    Only if I had the option of sitting also.
  • Beth Gazley
    9 years ago
    I am a middle aged academic who should exercise more. I got a cash award and spent it on a standup desk. I wish they were not so expensive but the kind with a motor that raises and lowers is essential, I think. Some work feels more comfortable sitting down. As other readers have noted, it does take some getting used to. But stick with it for at least a month and you will find your endurance and posture improving. I purchases a gel mat later, so that I could take off my shoes. It feels great.
  • Julie
    9 years ago
    My employer just moved out LA offices to a new building and I am the company purchaser. We bought 16 height-adjustable standing desks from GeekDesk and I love mine!
  • granmajb
    9 years ago
    I've used a standing desk for years---it used to be called a drafting table---also has a tall swivel chair for a sitting option. Can't imagine jogging while drawing an illustration???? Actually, I can't imagine jogging, PERIOD!
  • jillybeansisme
    9 years ago
    I work standing up on carpeted concrete. My job requires me to walk 15' and back regularly. My desk is a podium. Many of my coworkers and I suffer from severe foot nerve pain and varicose veins. Some have back issues. I would prefer to have something to sit on at least half the time.
  • Jean Besseling
    9 years ago
    i have a standing table in my computer/sew room beside a regular desk with a chair that can be adjusted for both the table is great for cutting and doing paper work lots of room for papers with a filling filling cabinet under it
  • eileygirl
    9 years ago
    Had to vote No. My bad knees, bad feet, varicose veins make standing any amount of time difficult. I like the idea of using an exercise ball and may try that though.
  • voegelsnest
    9 years ago
    I am a writer and spend a lot of time at my desk (I write by hand before taking my drafts to the computer). I have a writing desk in front of the window and a bookcase to my right. The bookcase is a perfect height for the computer and working on it while standing up. My back has been a lot better since doing that but unfortunately I now have hip and knee pain and I'm increasingly taking my computer to my writing desk. What a shame!
  • hazleaz
    9 years ago
    We've used them for years at our company. The desks are set up a littl over waist height and the chairs are like bar stools. We all have the option of sitting or standing or checking the computer before dashing out to the floor to check on something...
  • L.c. Giroux
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I set up a combination L shaped desk with 2 pieces from Target and a "shoe shelf". The taller "desk" is a counter height table and the other is a basic desk. Total price for everything -- about $200. I'm a writer, so I spend WAY more time at a desk than is good for anyone. I actually find I think better on my feet. I've even tried a treadmill desk but while it was fine for web surfing it wasn't great for actually writing anything of any length. Just to have all my bases covered, I have a day bed in there too. In case I need to, you know, work lying down. And yes, my office is cave like at this point. The paint goes the end of the month after I get this last book done!
  • PRO
    Jacob Roig
    9 years ago
    I guide #builders and #contractors in their businesses, when you have to be more creative it is greatly enhanced when you can be engaged and standing up is a physical way to stay engaged in whatever it is you are doing. That is why most presentations when done in person or on stages are standing. When we sit we relax both physically and mentally more so than when standing. Productivity for most is better when standing. I love the idea of a mechanical desk that allows me to do both!
  • kateeldred
    9 years ago
    As someone else said, if standing was all that, clerks, nurses, traffic cops would all be the healthiest people.....I love my standing desk (the operating table type that goes up and down) but I totally agree that one changes problems. Shoulders and back are better and legs and feet are worse. On a day with several meetings it's a good blend of sitting and standing. Otherwise I need to lower it and sit, especially when I really need to "make sausage"--do a series of tasks or write.
  • PRO
    David Thorne Landscape Architect
    9 years ago
    At our office we have a mix of standing and sitting desks. Preferences vary and it often depends on the particular tasks at hand -- our most of our designers prefer to design by hand standing up, but work on the computer while seated.

For spaces without the option of having multiple desks, a raised desk with an adjustable chair is a good solution.
  • Mike
    9 years ago
    Very common in Germany. Makes office meeting sharper and shorter
  • User
    9 years ago
    For those who have a regular desk and want and alternative to the standard chair, try using an exercise ball. I use one larger in diameter than I would for exercise. Really forces me to sit up and keep good form. Very comfprtable, too.
  • bubbles1964
    9 years ago
    I have a high work table and can either stand or sit in a chair.
  • guylarae
    9 years ago
    I just changed to a standing desk and love it. I have found that I need to sit some parts of the day, too, though. It is nice to be able to do either.
  • farmteacher
    9 years ago
    I use a standing desk at work
  • jerryandsusan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    With our portable work stations, a standing desk is a great option. We all sit too much. Standing uses more calories than sitting. N'est pas?
  • PRO
    Evans Woodworking Inc
    9 years ago
    why decide? controlled by hydraulics.
    Via De Fortuna House · More Info
  • campbell3030
    9 years ago
    Et
  • PRO
    Rebecca Hite, Realtor, Huntington Properties, LLC.
    9 years ago
    An adjustable option is the best way to go in my opinion!
  • User
    9 years ago
    I tried it but found I couldn't stand for long enough. :(
  • scosner
    9 years ago
    I sit almost all day long working on the computer. Would love a desk that allows me to stand and work.
  • katbrick
    9 years ago
    Yes, I'd use one if it had hydraulic lifts and could be raised or lowered as needed.
  • christinedoucet
    9 years ago
    I work all day standing up... I need to sit at home between all the shores!!!
  • PRO
    Replacementtablelegs.com
    9 years ago
    We started selling this one a few months ago and enjoy working from it at the office. After using this one I couldn't imagine ever going back to a standard non adjustable desk.

http://www.replacementtablelegs.com/adjustable-height-hand-crank-desk-frame-26-1-2-to-39-3-4-height-adjustment-single/
  • Momof5x
    9 years ago
    I prefer to be sitting when writing or tip tapping on key board like now. I can't stand for too long especially when my back plays up. Although in the kitchen I like to roll out pastry etc. on a high counter.
  • Sauve
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the link Replacementtablelegs.com. I would buy those in 2 heartbeats except I'm in France. sigh
  • writerinfact
    9 years ago
    Not for me, thank you, given physical limitations (I have issues with standing for extended periods of time), although it SOUNDS like a good idea since I'm slightly hyperactive and move A LOT!
  • pickyvicky
    9 years ago
    When I was a pasteup artist we had adjustable tables and that was great, especially with cutting and pasting and deadlines. However, now that all the work is done on a computer, I couldn't see the benefit of using one.
  • pickyvicky
    9 years ago
    But that doesn't mean I don't want one....I think they're great!
  • Colleen Barkley
    9 years ago
    Standing, with a tall stool option, is the way to go
  • Patrice Paige
    9 years ago
    When I moved to my tiny beach condo I re-purposed my stainless steel prep-table as a desk and am using an adjustable drafting stool in case I want to sit. I love the flexibility and since the table has wheels it's easily moved. 2 matching drafting stool double as counter seating.
  • PRO
    Earth Bound Homes
    9 years ago
    Love my standing desk. Just keep in mind that you are putting a lot more pressure on your feet so get a standing pad at Costco and some soft spungy shoes. I like thick flipflops so my feel can spread out and relax.
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    9 years ago
    Like Mark Bischak, Architect, I have a drafting table that is adjustable in height with a foot pedal. Although I spend most of my time on my feet working, the drafting table is a real convenience in the shop. I also have a regular desk and table.
  • s m
    9 years ago
    I use a GeekDesk. It can be raised or lowered electrically, so I can sit when my feet get tired or sore. Great Desk! And my back is so much better since I have been standing and doing back exercises.
  • Whitney Raver
    8 years ago

A much better product is the Humanscale Quick Stand, which allows more flexibility and you do not have to replace your existing desk- or rig it as shown in some of the photos. It is a better cost option as well. You easily raise it and lower it throughout the day. I love this product!

• kgoodson1
    8 years ago
    I have an exercise ball seat I bought from Gaiam that I love. My friend's husband made her a desk on top of her treadmill which she loves.
  • PRO
    Evans Woodworking Inc
    8 years ago

Here is a large sit/ stand desk we built for a client. I love them.

• PRO
    Jacob Roig
    8 years ago

I have been using a Stand Up desk for about 6 months now. It is fantastic for me. No more back pain, I pace when I coach entrepreneurs and this allows me to pop over take a note and not have to bend down or sit to do it. Bought a stool with adjusting heights so the few times I get tired, I crank the desk down, lower the stool and stay in action. I Love It!

• uffelmad
    8 years ago

As I get older, I cant stand in one position comfortably. My current laptop working area is my lazy boy with a quick desk spanning the arms. It works great, but it probably is not especially healthy

• Sauve
    8 years ago

Don't worry about it any longer Uffelmad. Two weeks ago I read a report that has shown out of the 22 studies advocating the effects of standing desk not one of them took into consideration of the actual long term effect. Now that 5 years of data has been collect the results are in. What the data shows is that standing verses sitting had not effects on Weight, Heart Disease (MI, Attack), Blood Pressure, Blood Clots, or Stroke.

• uffelmad
    8 years ago

Whew! The lazy boy it is, then. I just need some time allocated to moving around aggressively.

• Bev
    8 years ago

I live with chronic pain on a daily basis and a lot of it is in my arthritic knees. Standing at a desk would be excruciating!

• PRO
    Jacob Roig
    8 years ago

I have had one from "The Stand Up Desk store and a 20 year chronic lower back issue and my hips in the morning feeling like they could use a "crack" like a chiropractor is gone! I stand up to 8 hours a day, it is hand cracked so no motors to repair in the future, I have not lowered it in over 12 months! I am more productive, do not have to bend to write a note, I pace when I talk on the phone and this has been one of my better business tool investments!

• William Chou
    last year

Yes, surely will use a standing desk. As it do has a lot standing desk benefits.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.