dsmdesign

Wok cooking on an induction cooktop?

David Satterlund
9 years ago
Is this acceptable? What is the power of the burner? Do you need to have a flat-bottomed wok?
THANKS! I am trying to resolve this dilemma in my own kitchen.
My Houzz: Simple Living Inspires Efficient Northern Californian Home · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    GoGo Creations
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Yes, David, you will need to buy a flat bottomed wok. Induction is very powerful and can be sufficient for wok cooking.
  • julieotoole
    7 years ago

Actually you can get induction wok burners which are concave and fit any old fashioned (i.e. iron containing) wok and work VERY well. As well or better as the traditional high heat gas burners. Ours are from Cooktec

• PRO
    Flamtech Appliances
    6 years ago

Gaggenau also makes one that is flat, but can take a round bottom wok "floating" on ring because of the way the inductions elements are set up there. Gives you flexibility to cook proper round wok, OR a flat skillet or stockpot.

• julieotoole
    6 years ago

Yes, I guess it depends on whether this will be your only cooktop. If your primary interest is in wok cooking, though, the concave is definitively superior to cooking in a flat bottom wok on a ring. Th concave cooktops are for serious Chinese cooking and one of the cool things about them is that the handles of the iron-containing wok stay cold to the touch no matter how hot the wok is.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.