patticella22

Need help with our new family room. Its big but ugly!

patticella22
9 years ago
Hi! Bought this house a year ago and I have a love hate relationship with this room. Love the beams and space! Hate the fireplace, 70's paneling, and mismatched bookshelves. Problem is we practically have no budget so I am looking for a cheap fix. So paint may be our only option.

1. Can I paint the wood paneling, trim, and bookshelves all white? Or is that too much?
2. If I paint it all white, do I paint the back of the bookshelves a gray to compliment the fireplace? Possibly stone harbor (bm)??
3. Do I paint the beams white or keep them dark?
4. Do I ask a carpenter to remove all the shelves besides the ones under the windows since they are mismatched anyways?
5. I have to keep the carpet and furniture due to budget but I can remove the leather chair and add something else? Thoughts/Help! Much appreciated!

Comments (18)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.