carlamcguire

Help with with the family room

carlamcguire
8 years ago
We have a raised ranch and our family room needs a little help. We are not ready to renovate the room yet but I want to rearrange and add some light and pizzazz to the room. It's very blah. Any recommendations?

Comments (25)

• carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    More pics
  • carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Last pic. This leads to a garage and there is a closet and bathroom that you can't see.
  • Diane Land
    8 years ago

You need more color ( throw pillows, larger artwork with color) and better lighting. Wall mounting the TV just above where it now sits, will also lighten that area. It will also draw the eye upwards , giving it a higher ceiling feel. I would add more recessed lighting in the ceiling (other Houzzers will dispel that idea) but it is an easy and not expensive fix. Are you sold on keeping the treadmill in the room????

• carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas. We are looking for more equipment so we can take it all and put it in the garage. It will be moving. As for the artwork. I agree but feel stuck. Is the square one ok? What would you do with the tv wall if we don't mount it and do you suggest movie all the family photos on one wall? I love family photos and it's really the only room I have them in.
  • carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What about the mantle and fireplace? I was thinking of moving the mirror somewhere else and getting artwork
  • Diane Land
    8 years ago

Yes you can put the family photos in a gallery on one wall. Google search that and you will see lots of options. The mirror over the FP is a bit awkward. Also some thoughts. The large piece of art to the left of the TV might look better to the right of your blue desk ( so on the left of the window as you look at it). It's tricky when you have baseboard heating. It works well with the sectional that is near the wall but the other wall ( where the treadmill is ) is in serious need of SOMETHING. I would suggest two accent chairs ( like barrel or tub chairs) and an end table in between to make a conversation area. Another suggestion is at the bottom of your stairs. I think your red console type cabinet would look better there and the bench moved temporarily in front of the wall where the treadmill is until you can acquire more seating. Also your sconces and metal sculpture are hung too high ( for the bench - also thinking they may be a better height for the red table but not sure). I would move your blue desk where the red table is now ( more room for it) and move the quilt stand where the blue desk is. The black end table could go in the corner where the floor lamp is with a table lamp. The floor lamp might work next to the blue desk when moved. AND this is why I own a set of those plastic furniture sliders! You are probably sorry you asked...LOL

• PRO
    Pellegrin Construction
    8 years ago

Full home remodel · More Info

• PRO
    Pellegrin Construction
    8 years ago

My suggestion, to start, is to paint the ceilings and the walls light colors. The light colors will open up your space.

• Diane Land
    8 years ago

This might help with the photo gallery wall idea:http://jennycollier.com/how-to-create-a-gallery-wall/

So it can be done around the TV , it can be done with a mix of sizes:

or it can be done orderly:

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Here's some inspiration for your colors and a link at the bottom for a site with multiple arrangements around corner fireplaces. Maybe you'll gather some ideas there.

Basement Family Room · More Info

Jane Lockhart Basement Family Room · More Info

Family Friendly Entertaining Space · More Info
    http://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/2012/09/29/arranging-furniture-around-a-fireplace-in-the-corner-of-a-room/

• carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow! Thanks so much ! You are all very talented and gave me a lot of ideas. I'm going to try some ideas and will post for sure.
  • K Sissy
    8 years ago

I would take down those valances that you have on the windows. They are blocking a lot of the light that comes into the room. I think that some wide slat blinds in cream would look really good, and you can control the light that comes the windows with them. They are not too expensive. You can order them online from Lowe's (name is Dover). I have them all through my house, and they look terrific. We also have dark stained trim. I also painted my dark fireplace off white or almond, and it immediately brightened up our entire space. Another thing that helped brighten our space was to paint our ceilings a bright white. These things don't take a lot of time or cost a lot of $75.00 or less, and will make a big difference. I've also painted my doors, not the door frames off white and that helped tremendously. The other things that I've done to brighten up our entry was to paint the spindles on my staircase white, along with our stair risers when we removed the carpet. All of these things together should cost under $100.00 and can be accomplished in a weekend or less. Good luck.

• carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you. Those are all great ideas. Would love to see your windows and fireplace. They are all doable.
  • carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the pics.
  • awm03
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Lots of good suggestions here. I suggest painting the fireplace bricks the same color as the wall color, but using a semi-gloss instead of flat or satin. The texture of the brick will retain its character, but the color will flow with the room better instead of being a visual sink hole. I did that in two homes, and it looked great & got rid of the heaviness of the fireplace. A modern, clean look.

Colorful pillows! Your sectional is a blob of muddy colored fabric (practical & comfy, though). Break it up with big colorful pillows.

The walls are a bit cluttered. Large artwork in bold colors would be stronger, style-wise.

Yes to more can lights, wide slat blinds, painting the woodwork white.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I painted the dark woodwork in my bedroom white, and it was a bear. Think twice before you do this Carla, because it is difficult and time consuming. I like the white woodwork in my bedroom, but that's a private area. Your family room is a common area, and the woodwork should really be the same throughout the common areas. Once you paint it, you can't go back.

• carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I won't paint the trim because my whole house is wood and I actually like it. I don't have s new style home so I want to keep the character and nothing beats wood. I would like to something with the brick. Clean it maybe.
  • carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    My couch is a blob, huh? So true. I'd like to replace with leather. Of course I like the brown leather.
  • K Sissy
    8 years ago

Did you see the picture of my painted fireplace. I think that painting your fireplace would brighten your room up a lot, and freshen it without going to far.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Two comments here. Sheetrock and texture the brick above mantle as the beam is bisecting the brick and is jarring. If you sheetrock and then paint it the color of the ceiling it might be less noticable but this is just me being possibly picky. But still that beam is a monster and is block the brick so get rid of the brick with sheetrock. I would also paint out the wood trim on the walls; it bisects the wall and makes it look lower than it is.

I love the ideas you have been given. Keep us posted.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I understand. I think our houses are of the same period (80's). Flow is important, and I think stained would is an asset in a home, but at this time, painted is what most buyers want..... some going for black painted banisters, trim etc. I don't get that at all.

• carlamcguire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    K sissy I did see the picture. I like it. My house is from mid 70's. It's the house I grew up in so I won't be selling it until I'm old and very grey
  • PRO
    All Wright Electric
    8 years ago
    A coffered ceiling with dimmable LED lighting would add some detail and drama!
  • K Sissy
    8 years ago

I also understand. Having previously been.a Realtor, I look at everything concerning real estate from a buyers perspective. I also have no intention of moving from my house either

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.