poece

Need help with living room

poece
8 years ago

I have no idea what I'm doing and would love some help. I need a new couch and chairs. I know I want something smaller (and just better looking), but I don't know what color or what style. I was thinking about getting rid of the green. I can make new covers for the ottomans. I don't mind buying new curtains.

Comments (130)

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

Hi mmas4. I think it would be a much more economical alternative for window treatments. Although I know we would all like to be able to have the most elegant and expensive window treatments available we all have a budget to work with and it's nice to have other options.

I hope I didn't step out of line speaking for you to the other posters but it seems some folks don't take the time to look all the way through the thread and find out what has already taken place before they comment.

poece thanked katinparadise
  • poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh no, you weren't out of line at all. And thank you so much for all your help so far.

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

Glad to hear it. You're more than welcome-happy to be of help.

• dd75
    8 years ago

Something about the scroll shelf brackets is throwing everything off. Can you replace them with something simpler?

poece thanked dd75
  • poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah I can do that. I will do that when I get around to painting the shelves.

I got the console table and lamps

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

Nice! Are you happy with everything so far? Do I see some sort of window covering? If you could, you might want to center the console table behind the love seat and put the lamps at each end. It will help balance it visually. Do you plan on getting a floor lamp for the chair in the window?

• poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes. I am happy with everything so far.

After taking pic I realized the table was off center. Already fixed. I will move the lamps farther apart.

The shades are still the roller shades. Since I don't hate them, I don't know if I will replace them. At least not yet. I will worry about it later.

I don't think I need a lamp next to that chair.

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

Sounds like you're happy with everything as is. Good to hear. Are you considering yourself finished at this point then?

• poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pretty much. I will get to painting shelves and possibly new roman shades later. For now I'm done.

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

Well then congratulations! I hope you and all of your wonderful pets get many years of enjoyment from your new room!

• judygilpin
    8 years ago

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, get rid of those horrible white shelves.

• robin701
    8 years ago

I've been following along, and keep scrolling back and forth between the original picture and latest one. Such a nice update - you did good :)

poece thanked robin701
  • Shannon Fortenberry
    8 years ago

I absolutely love that you have shelves for your cats, and I am not even a "cat person."

I am looking to remodel our den specifically for our rescue dog.

People who didn't read your comments and are just now posting ignorant comments are just showing how inept and lazy they are.

It is amazing how two throw pillows in a print that blends the walls and ottomans completely changed this room.

Don't change your wall color. It is great! Beige/ivory/taupe people hate my walls, and I am ok with that. :-)

poece thanked Shannon Fortenberry
  • Laura Snyder
    8 years ago
    I really like your new furniture and your layout however to perfect it I think you should center the chair with the middle window panel, align the facing chair and coffee table. I would then center the sofa on the half wall. I would add two small rectangular end tables next to the chairs (sofa side)to have a place to put down a beverage. It looks great just needs to be spaced out a little.
    poece thanked Laura Snyder
  • kez
    8 years ago
    I love your cat shelves idea, my kitty is envious :) Great update!
    poece thanked kez
  • doods
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Will be so anxious to see those shelves painted same colour as wall, I think that will make a huge difference in the overall appearance of your room. Love cats, what a great idea for them. I too agree with Jan (below), if you paint out that wood trim around the window to white, and the wood trim on that half wall behind the sofa to the same colour as the wall,it will really update the room, and make your room look more cohesive, less cluttered. New furniture looks great!

poece thanked doods
  • PRO
    Interior Expressions by Jan
    8 years ago

I would start by taking down all of the horizontal shelving. The horizontal sight lines are making the room feel short in height. If this is an 8' high room, the goal is to elongate the height of the room by tricking the eye. If you choose to keep the paint color of the walls, are you opposed to painting the trim white? I would do simple drapery panels in a crisp white or cream, mounted at the ceiling level in dining room. If you do not use the draperies for privacy in the living room, I would add one panel to each side of the bay window area, not on each individual window. By taking the panels to the ceiling, you are tricking your eye to add the height to the room. If you do need privacy in the living room, you can add simple shades to the individual windows. Keeping the draperies neutral will allow you to re-use when someday you may want to repaint the room.

poece thanked Interior Expressions by Jan
  • poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Shelves are staying. I realize they are not good looking, but my pets come first. The cats love those shelves. I think I will get around to painting them soon hopefully.

I would love white trim, but that's just too much work for me. I get to do all painting by myself.

I will be get new curtains for the dining area. I was thinking cream.

• PRO
    Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
    8 years ago

If I am right, assessing the color you chose for the walls, you are a high contrast person. adding neutrals in large areas would kill the room. Working with everything you have (the curtains are fine) I would use prints, stripes, patterns - with a white background - with colors that pick up the green wall (which is a green/blue) and add a bit of the complementary color - orange (red/yellow). Doing that will soften the wall color and add some excitement to the room. In the attached photo with the green/white rug - use something like that on the sofa, a chair or pillows. The "orange" photo illustrates a stripe that uses the wall color to best advantage (ignore the rug in the picture) . Your green wall is great. Just lighten it with some crisp whites in addition to the patterns. Go with your gut. Looks to me like you are doing great with the choices you have made. Check out the illustrations of some similar color combinations from my book, The Nature of Color in Interior Design on Facebook

poece thanked Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
  • slolou
    8 years ago

Go white young lady. White walls and white slip covered love seat will expand this area. Love the wood flooring. Bring in color blue with cushions, ceramic and blue print on white background in fabric for drapes.

poece thanked slolou
  • fergiesue
    8 years ago

The last photo I see is with your changes. I am sending before and after photos of your room that I brightened for you (using Corel). I love the blue walls.

poece thanked fergiesue
  • Melodie Taylor
    8 years ago
    Cats. Okay, but the shelves are chopping the visual height of those spaces, and not enhancing your design. How about replacing the wood with custom-sized plexiglass sheets? Online sources save time & $. You'd have clear "shelves" to open up sight lines, and brackets stay put for minimal install hassle. Leave clear protective sheeting on top until company comes-- for quick "clean up", would look nicer... then re-do protective sheets (or not!) but would minimize permanent scratching. (I found a photo example on Pinterest that shows a wall-mouted version of this type of shelving.) Also, adding layers of lighting would brighten front room and near foyer... utilize wall- and/or ceiling-mounted fixtures. Low-wattage uplights add warmth, too. These lighting options are cat (and kid!) proof.
    poece thanked Melodie Taylor
  • susiesworld
    8 years ago
    Paint the kitchen white it will brighten up everything. I love the living room wall color. All you need is a new sofa in a lighter color (linen perhaps) a new bigger coffe table in white or glass and a couple of fun chairs in a print. Try IKEA for chairs and West elm for s sofa . Good luck!
    poece thanked susiesworld
  • poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Painting the kitchen white is something I can do. Maybe I can get to that next week.

• robin701
    8 years ago

If you decide to paint or stain the cat shelves, you might think about picking up one of the tones in your flooring or the window and pony wall trim, assuming of course, that you don't want to paint them. I like the darker shelves against the blue walls in the photo tracieannie posted, although I wouldn't go that dark in your house. The brackets, if metal, would be easy to spray paint, especially for someone as industrious as yourself :)

poece thanked robin701
  • User
    8 years ago

I love the fact that your animals are an important factor, the shelves for them are really cool, and I think your space looks great.

poece thanked User
  • Laura Flaugher
    8 years ago
    This is quite a transformation! Well done. And happy let's make a happy mama!
    poece thanked Laura Flaugher
  • Colleen LaBotz
    8 years ago
    Sending my compliments on the changes. You sorted through the advice and put together the right combination of new and existing elements. You even have a few more ideas on how to continue, e.g. painting the cat shelves.
    poece thanked Colleen LaBotz
  • felizlady
    8 years ago
    I'm not being catty, but this gives new meaning to the term "catwalk".
    poece thanked felizlady
  • Debbi Spencer
    8 years ago

I like the white shelves, actually. I'd pull the chairs out away from the couch at a slight angle (beyond the coffee table (it looks like you have the space), then cover the ottomans in the same fabric as your throw pillows or a complimentary one, and use them as tables topped with trays in whatever color you decide to pick up from the rest of the decor. Just gives it a little more punch. It looks great!!

poece thanked Debbi Spencer
  • Laura Flaugher
    8 years ago
    I meant to say happy PETS make a happy mama.
    poece thanked Laura Flaugher
  • dawnrr
    8 years ago

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/milano-leather-2-piece-chaise-sectional-sofa?ID=251138&CategoryID=37394#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D268%26ruleId%3D97|BS%26slotId%3D15 in white.

Sadly, I no longer see the matching double wide ottoman on the website. This is the only piece of furniture in our living room/home theater and we have found it to be quite versatile, even good for sleeping. Additionally, it really cleans up and modernizes an area.

• Lu W
    8 years ago

I just now wandered in after the fact. I think the room is looking great. I enjoyed reading each new mention of another furry family member. Such lovingness and givingness you have!

poece thanked Lu W
  • poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Like this?

• poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lu, I also have a rabbit, gecko and many invertebrates (they all live in my bedroom). I have my own little zoo.

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

The new arrangement looks nice as well. You can always turn the chairs around for tv viewing. Do you like it like that?

• poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah I do like the new arrangement better.

• Carol Singletary
    8 years ago
    I have had so much FUN reading this thread, and meeting all your animals. You have really made this a wonderful room. Thanks for sharing as you went.
    poece thanked Carol Singletary
  • Debbi Spencer
    8 years ago

Yes, like that! lol. Looks great!

• Debbi Spencer
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

OK. Maybe leave the coffee table closer to the couch so it can be used from there (not centered between all the pieces), and the ottomans used by the people in the chairs. As footstools when needed, with trays for tables when needed. I picked up wooden trays for less than $8 each at thrift stores, then painted them to match my room. You could also use your fabric in the bottom of the trays and cut a piece of glass or plexiglass to put over it. Very versatile! :)

• Debbi Spencer
    8 years ago

BTW-is the furniture comfortable? I love it! Thinking I should sell mine and start over...

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

I'm glad you like it that way. I really hope you enjoy the room!

• poece
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I find the furniture very comfortable. I like that its not so squishy like the last couch was.

• Debbi Spencer
    8 years ago

Thanks!

• ejkajn
    8 years ago

It looks just lovely. I have been doing my living/great room for almost a year now. I am getting the last piece of furniture this week. It is done and I hope you enjoy your room as much as I plan on enjoying mine. Be blessed

poece thanked ejkajn
  • maulseth
    8 years ago

I've enjoyed reading your thread! Congratulations on a new beautiful room! I think your blue walls are lovely, by the way. I do all the painting myself, and totally understand the work involved. I do not have a rug in my living room right now for the same reason as yourself. We do love our pets!!!

poece thanked maulseth
  • artista
    8 years ago

Congratulations your room looks very nice, I saw the sofa covers and I like it. Nice Job!.

poece thanked artista
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago
    Visit our store on Houzz search for " Stickonmania " we have over 22 000 products listed and will do custom stuff as well - Google for stickonmania.

Our production is located in FL and all products are made by hand. Shipping out in less than 5 days and prices starts at $5

We use premium material made for wall art only and it will not damage your wall when removed.
  • Steph
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

In my honest opinion, your biggest issue still is the shelving and contrasting wall color. I understand removing the shelving is not going to happen, so I think the best you can do is paint all the walls white to match the shelving and hem the curtains.

• Theresa Holt
    7 years ago
    We use indoor/outdoor rugs. There ae some nice ones out now and you can hose them off if anyone has an accident. LOVE how your space is progressing!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.