teihlia_rupley

Makeover ideas, no wall change

Teihlia Rupley
8 years ago
I'm so lost in updating my kitchen.

Comments (138)

• Valerie Nimchuk
    7 years ago

We decided to not move our wall either, it just didn't work for our house.

If you can't afford new cabinets Home Depot sells a painting kit for around $120 Canadian. I would go for cream cabinets to lighten up your kitchen.

We went with cream cabinets and removed the peninsula and have cupboards all down the one side. I have a dark espresso island and on the other side more cream cabinets and my fridge. The walls went from a brown Venetian plaster to a creamy yellow Venetian plaster and lots of accent lighting on top of the cabinets and under the cabinets to show off my cracked glass tiles. It's bright and beautiful I love it so much!

Here are some before, the old 80's oak and after pictures...

• luanna4
    7 years ago

The entire kitchen looks a bit murky to me. I'm fairly confident that the gray-painted wall fad is going to wane rather soon, so I'd paint the walls in a lighter color to help bring some light into the room. If you're not replacing your cabinets now, I'd paint them out in a crisp white=even more light in your kitchen. Do you need all of your upper cabinets? So many upper cabinets make a kitchen feel very closed in. If you can pare down what you really need to store, I would start by eliminating the section of upper cabinetry to the left-side of your sink and install some floating shelves there to display some pretty dishes/bowls/crockery a green plant and a few cookbooks. I'd change out your center overhead light fixture to something more contemporary, that hugs the ceiling a bit more (maybe with some stainless steel trim?), and if you can afford it, have a couple of small pendant lights installed above your peninsula. For wall color---go to the home improvement store and pick out paint chips in some light-to-medium toned colors that make you happy (is gray REALLY anyone's favorite color??). Do you like warm colors like apricot/orange/yellow, or cool colors like aqua or lime? Any of these colors with crisp white cabinets would make for a bright, cheery kitchen, especially with the stainless appliances you are planning on. Bring the paint chips/swatches home, and try to imagine them on your walls. Better yet, if you're ready to make the plunge with paint, prime one section of wall and buy a sample jar of the wall paint color you're leaning towards (about $3) and paint that section of wall to see how you like the paint choice---be sure to look at it in different light at different times of the day. Once you make your paint choices, I'd then move onto choosing window treatments---here is where you can add a little pattern and fun to coordinate with your wall/cabinet colors. As far as your flooring---if you can't replace it soon, it CAN be painted as well. You'd have to lightly sand the finish, prime it, and use a durable porch floor paint (check the specific product to see if you need to prime it first). You could paint the floor in a soft light-to-medium neutral gray---not too cool and not too warm.

• Related Discussions

Ideas for this playroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Rock on Great space. Cretins gone, solar sheeting on windows they can see out but no one can see in. light is great. build toy box along wall under windows all the way across. hydro-lick lifts in both sides of toy box lid. cover and make seat, single books shelf at the back. cool chair fill with bright colored pillows guessing it is a boy wall size world colored sticker globe left hand side move lego building station under globe move shelves and cube thing to other wall paint all the same color one shelf on each side. above sticker abc's and 123's then child's name leaving enough room for other kids if you have them with the age right next to the name. on the angled narrow space a long chalk board. you can tack up his or her art on the globe in the country they would give it to change it out weekly on accident they learn world colors shapes letters numbers and can dream. easy clean up total cost about $250 will last till the 3 grade.
    ...See More

Ideas on updating/replacing the veneer trim under kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (12)
    I would seriously consider replacing the cabinets before putting a new granite countertop on them. The problem is that no one will remove the countertop at a later date if you want to change the cabinets, due to the possibility of breakage. The only choice you will have then is a reface. Adding new doors, drawer fronts, and veneered sides is just a facelift. You could also add new hardwood drawers with undermount cushion close slides, but by the time you do this if will be the same cost as new cabinets now. The cabinets you have now, frameless, particle board sides are notorious for having the hinge screws strip out the particle board they are attached to. Since you can't put a longer screw in them, because the material is only 3/4" of an inch thick you have a problem. You also can't put a wider screw in them because it won't fit through the pre-drilled holes in the hinges.
    ...See More

Pls help, mosaic doesn't match with wall tiles, how can I salvage this

Q

Comments (3)
    Only two pictures are showing up for me. Can you have black or dark grey cupboards in your vanity or a dark framed mirror so that the cream becomes more of an accent colour (ie, the colour of your bath tiles are the 70%, the cream is your 20% and another colour your 10%?).
    ...See More

Need help creating an industrial feel that's still cozy

Q

Comments (4)
    I would get rid of that pendant. Here's one link to industrial pendant lights http://www.houzz.com/industrial-pendants Pick a light that you like and show it to your landlord. I bet she/he will say yes to your suggestion since pendant lights can easily be changed. In fact, if there's already a really secure junction box there already i bet they may even go with a ceiling fan light combo if that's what you really want
    ...See More
  • evenstar71
    7 years ago

we are doing our renovation in somewhat smaller steps as well. My husband and I pulled out all the base cabinets, tore out the tile flooring that looked hideous and replaced the kitchen area with a nicer no-slip tile (yes it does exist) and put the cabinets back. They were honey oak like yours but I painted them while they were out. I painted the top cabinets cream and put a chocolate colored stain in the grooves of the cabinets and then painted the lower cabinets espresso with stain. I used rustoleum's cabinet paint kit ($78 for each color) and my kitchen looks amazing. We also couldn't afford to put new cabinets and countertops in right now but this bought me another 5 years of loving my kitchen before I do the final makeover with a full remodel. I think I attached some photos (we are still doing construction so pardon the mess). Putting light cream on the top has made a massive difference in how bright and airy the kitchen feels. I would definitely consider it if you want to make changes now and hold on to the major changes until you can afford them.

Here are the cabinets before painting the day after our Christmas Party and the day we started moving everything out of the first floor to redo all the floors (don't mind my 20 year old holding down the counters while he plays video games on his phone :-):

Good luck with your renovation. It's a lot of work and takes longer than you thought it would but it is sooo worth it even just to make you love your kitchen a little more until you can get your dream kitchen.

• Shelley Blue
    7 years ago
    you said complete. which on houzz would be considered a WHOLE NEW kitchen. the complete was in answer to what are you planning on redoing.
    people are just getting confused about COMPLETE.
  • Penny Flatte
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Your kitchen has such nice bones - two windows even! I get what you are saying about baby steps to the new kitchen. Before we retired, our kitchen design showroom/studio was a place the public could come and get everything we thought was affordable and worthy (like Karndean International Flooring products and a mid - to - higher end cabinetry). If our products were purchased, the design (by me) was not an additional charge. We specialized in remodels and kitchen re-dos like yours. Perhaps you can locate a kitchen retail source like that and get the support you need without the cost. And like you, I too, despise a kitchen floor that's hard to keep clean.

So, here's my two-cents worth:

Your existing cabinets appear to be semi-custom and if that's true, you should be able to remove them and rearrange/reinstall for a better expression. Measure and think about it - you may be amazed at what you can create! Then two things I would suggest: 1) take out that peninsula island across from the fridge and 2) replace your flooring. I think your floor (and flow) is restricting your creative energy in this kitchen. Once you get the flooring you want and the flow improved, I'm fairly sure you'll soar with ideas and solutions. On peninsula counter, just cut the it back and edge it with matching laminate - until you are ready for a new counter top. If you get a quality floor product without a high gloss to it, you do not have to worry about the integrity of the floor surviving later improvements.

Karndean International has a website with a floor design interactive tool you might enjoy. If you buy Karndean, try to do it through a direct dealer, not a dealer who purchases it from a distributor and your cost should be affordable. The big flooring stores should be direct dealers and you'll get an affordable price. Hope this helps!

• jodimk69
    7 years ago

Hello! I understand what you are saying about the budget. We have a very small kitchen that is from 1948. After a few estimates to remodel with moving walls, we decided to go a different route. The original cabinets were solid wood with 2 layers of paint. I removed all the doors and drawers and removed the paint. I had to use paint stripper and I bought myself a power hand sander. On the cabinets I had to do the same thing using paint stripper and sanding by hand. It was very, very messy and a time consuming task. The previous owners painted red paint over every thing so I had painstakingly remove paint from the hinges. After watching an episode of Rehab Addict she used a small crock pot and let the hinges soak in hot water for a while. I didn't have a small crock pot so I used an old pan and let hinges soak in hot water on the stove. The paint came over fairly easily, but I still had to use a wire brush to remove some the paint. After every thing was back to plain wood, I primed and used very good paint (Sherwin Williams) to repaint the cabinets. Afterwards, I put a couple layers of Polycrylic to protect. The Polycrylic was a little hard to work with, but with some research on youtube I found the best method to apply it. If you are willing to put the time into re-furbishing your cabinets - go for it! Our kitchen does not have nearly the amount of cabinets you have so it will be a lot of work. I think though for me, I am very happy I kept the old and re-burbed. I did some research on our cabinets and there was some history. As for the counter top - we just ordered ours and went with laminate with an under mount sink. Laminate has come such a long way. We just picked it up this weekend and have not installed it or I would post a picture. Laminate is more budget friendly and easy to maintain! Plus now with the under mount sink option it looks great! After we pay off the counter top we will have to decide on flooring. Baby steps is the way to go. Especially when your on a budget!

• Sharon Wettlaufer
    7 years ago

I would love the option of an undermount sink with laminate but have not been able to find anyone to do that here in Ontario

• mtnmom9
    7 years ago

evenstar: your kitchen looks great! I'd recommend putting in a nice pull-down faucet. Maybe $150 at HD/Lowes and you will kick yourselves for not doing it sooner. You can transfer the faucet to your new sink when you do your full remodel.

• PRO
    Civil cheif Engineering
    7 years ago
    painting is nice I think it needs afan
  • PRO
    Civil cheif Engineering
    7 years ago
    its nice and enough
  • PRO
    Civil cheif Engineering
    7 years ago
    I like 2 one
  • PRO
    Crystal Kitchen + Bath
    7 years ago

If you are looking to completely remodel your kitchen, it is highly suggested that you save up for it. Yes, you can paint cabinets and replace appliances but does that leave the kitchen functional to your lifestyle? Are things hard to get to and disorganized. Is there enough storage? Are products holding up to the test of time?

Quality workmanship and products are an investment and most kitchen remodels (not partial remodels or a refresh) start at $50k. Also, a designer is crucial when you are investing a great amount of money and time. Who wants to go through the process twice or not be entirely satisfied at the end? Hire a professional kitchen + bath firm with NKBA certified professionals in-house.

Until then, an inexpensive update would be paint. We suggest painting your walls white! This will make the space appear bigger and brighter! Also, add some colorful accessories.

Crystal Kitchen + Bath

• rhathcoat
    7 years ago

I would move the fridge to the wall where the stove is. I would then move the stove to the left of the sink. I would remove the bar and the wall of cabinets where the fridge is currently setting, to open up space. Then I would add a long island with cabinets underneath with seating in the middle of the kitchen with pendant lighting over the island. If you like rustic, I would paint the cabinets a dark grey with a stone backsplash and distressed wood flooring. You could paint the walls a light greige color that would blend the cabinets and floors. I would then add some Turquoise and cream accessories to finish it off. Just my opinion, good luck with your updates!

• Brandy Perkins
    7 years ago

Two ideas paint the bottom cabinets black and the top cabinets white you could use butcher block tops or formica now carries a Carrera marble where you can have the fancy edges that resembles the marble look. The second idea with be too paint them a greenish gray with Calcutta Quartz counter tops or butcher block. I would remove the small cabinets to the left of the fridge and do a couple open wood shelves for displaying items you currently have a lot of cabinets. I definitely love the idea of a counter depth frig. Samsung makes a nice one that is called Titanium so it does not show the fingerprintes like regular stainless steel. I think white subway tile for either.

• Kelly Cason
    7 years ago
    Is that an app you used to show the before and after idea with painted cabinets? I need that, badly! I'm lost with my kitchen reno and that would help me so much! I love your ideas, too. The paint and backsplash make all the difference in the world (:
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    7 years ago

As a kitchen designer for the last 7 years, I can tell you that having the side of the microhood exposed like that is a big no-no. You really need to get a professional kitchen designer out there to take measurements and see if appliances can be moved. She they can put it on a 20/20 computer program with the style and color of cabinets you want so you can see a rendition of what the new layout will look like. There are a huge range of cabinets and countertops out there to fit all budgets.

• jdd3612
    7 years ago

Your question has generated many great ideas. When I had my kitchen gutted, I'm very glad I chose cabinets that go to the ceiling since storage is an issue for me. I use the top shelves for things I don't use often, and some of them are for display. I went with Schrock cabinetry but saved money on the hardware by purchasing it at Ikea. Lighting was my other issue, and I'd recommend LED strips for under the cabinets.

• lamaisonbleu
    7 years ago

I'd cut off that peninsula (which you said blocks passage), get a counter-depth frig, put in bamboo floor (you hate your floor & bamboo never shows dirt!) plus you can add more flooring later if you change the kitchen floor plan. You like the warmth of wood.

DO NOT spend money you don't have! I'm 69. Never have & never will. Some ladies here lived w/kitchens 20 yrs. I would NOT paint your cabinets. They are still the same ol' cabinets. Wait. Cabinets do not have to be expensive. It will all come in time & you'll enjoy the planning. I helped a friend. We painted the walls. Changed the art work. Installed Bamboo flooring. Changed the light fixture. Got stainless appliances. 5 yrs later... now we'll change the cabinets & replace counter tops. 1/2 the job is already done! He was not emotionally ready for such a big change & doing it in 2 stages has been no problem at all.

• jkerc42895
    7 years ago
    Go to a book store that has coffee and kitchen design magazines and look at all of the designs-- do the same with Houzz website and look for what inspires you. You need a mind full image of what you want as an outcome --it may take 100 images or magazines to find all or part of what wou envision as your new kitchen-- but mostly consider WHY you are doing this new kitchen before you spend money other than to have a planner compose a digital plan.
  • F Payne
    7 years ago
    Dear Lost I completely understand your dilemma. I walked into my husband's grandmother's kitchen after we bought the house in February and thought what in the world will I do with this. After a couple of months and still have some little things to do. This is what I did. (1st picture)
    Your kitchen is like this one kind of dark. I would first start by getting some good lighting. If you have a small budget look at making your Windows bigger to add light. Depending on the size maybe $200-300 each. Possibly add some lighting on the top of your cabinets to highlight the ceiling height. Bring the eye up and your space will appear bigger. You could also add lights underneath your cabinets. Maybe change out the flooring to something lighter. Your cabinets look in good shape I would go online and look for new pulls and knobs much cheaper than local home improvement stores.
    The three last pictures are of my current kitchen. We gutted the entire thing and thanks to my Mother and Father in law who know how to build cabinets we did the entire kitchen with new appliances, marble tile countertop, hardwood floors(in three rooms) for $2700.00. We bought oak boards and ripped them down and added beadboard insets.
    I wish you the best of luck and just know that nothing is permanent. If you don't like you can change it.
  • dory50ish
    7 years ago
    Dear Lost, My husband and I remodeled our kitchen ourselves. It took us 8 mo's to do and I absolutely love the way it turned out. We had thought about doing hardwood floors but the cost was so high we opted out of that thought immediately! We orginally had this ugly grey tile...it was there when we moved in 16 yrs ago. Talk about hate!! We rented a machine and removed 500 sq ft of it and replaced with wood look tile floor. Absolutely love it. Easy to care for and always shiny. I shopped around...mostly on line. To cover our floors it costed around $600 but I'm sure you don't have that much area to cover. We did hire someone to lay it because of the huge area. The cabinets are stock from Home Depot plus we used some of our old. I added rope molding, painted antique white and then faux finished. We added crown molding at top of cabinets as well. It was all a labor of love! Definately need a plan. Appliances were purchased through Sears outlets. For the fridge, double oven, and cooktop was less than $2500. Dishwasher we already had. If you can't budget for new fridge but want stainless steel I found on Amazon a company that makes stainless steel that comes in a roll and goes on like contact paper. The granite was so reasonable as well. I never thought I could afford to do natural stone! In our old house we did replace the laminate with laminate from Home Depot pre-cut pieces. I did have a plan, I got everything purchased before we started. I know you can do this! The Internet is a wonderful thing. If you want to do something and not sure how look it up. Good luck with your project!!
  • Joyce Ritchie Charnetzky
    7 years ago
    All white kitchen with white marble countertops. Cabinets to the ceiling
  • Sharon Wettlaufer
    7 years ago

you have certainly received many opinions. Are you totally confused or are you narrowing your choices? Will be great to hear what decisions you have made

• johnwalker2
    7 years ago

The solution is actually very simple and not expensive. From your picture I assume your room is 10 X 14. It has two doors..one to the outside and one to a dining area. It has two windows..one over the sink looking outside to a back yard more than likely and the one seen in the photo..also looking outside but to a side yard.

The solution places all built-ins and appliances along opposing walls and opens the entire center of the space...room for people.

STEP 1

Tear out all flooring, cabinets, and countertops and discard.

STEP 2

Buy white Shaker styled cabinets..approximately 8 LF of lower cabinets ($1,200) and 7 LF ($700) of full-height (to ceiling) upper cabinets. Install all cabinets along the wall where the sink is now...

a 3-foot base cabinet from the wall where the window is that can be seen in the photo...a 3-foot base cabinet under the window looking to the back yard..for a sink installation ($500 sink and faucet)..leave a 2-foot space for a dishwasher ($600)...and add a final cabinet wide enough to take you over to a few inches on the door to the outside.

Install upper cabinets over all areas except where the sink is. Finish at ceiling with crown moulding.

STEP 3

Buy and have installed 3 CM granite along entire stretch of base cabinets (@) SF @ $40/SF = $800).

STEP 4

Install 3" X 6" travertine back splash along entire wall..13 SF @ $30/SF ($390).

STEP 4

Build a wall 2 feet from the doorway to the dining area parallel to the wall that existing door is in. It will run approximately 6 feet. Return that wall to the wall the existing doorway is in. You are building a space for a butler's panty. Along the outside wall you will have a two foot wide space. Buy a chest 36-inches high at a garage sale that will fit..be sure it is all drawers. Install a shelf above 16-inches above it. Put your microwave ($200) on the shelf. You will need electric run to power the microwave.

Opposite the place for the chest..build a 1-foot deep broom closet. Be sure you leave a 3-foot cased opening for passage through the butler's pantry between the kitchen and the dining area. Increase current opening size into the dining if it isn't already 36 inches.

STEP 5

Place your refrigerator (32-inch French door stainless $1,200) so that it sits against the return wall that is the back of the broom closet. Move your stove (electric with self cleaning convection oven stainless and black ($800) in line with your refrigerator. Have an electrician provide 220W for the range. You can add two 1-foot cabinets to either side of the stove and 2 9-inch full height cabinets (with open shelves) on either side of the stove. Add 36-inch exhaust fan over range (stainless-$150). Finish with countertop and back splash to match other area. (Cabinets, countertops, backsplash here - $800).

STEP 6

Replace your back door with a full glass inset door and hang opposite hand...make it a right hand door.

STEP 7

Install dark brown laminate floor ($500 labor and materials). Install 5-inch base (~ 15 LF) where require and paint white to match cabinets.

STEP 8

Install 3 can lights aligning with the window seen in the photo down the middle of the space. Add in the ceiling one smaller can at the sink, one at the butler's pantry and one at the stove ($90/can).

STEP 9

Patch wall and ceiling. Paint ceiling ceiling white, Paint walls taupe.

STEP 10

Place 30-inch round table and two chairs under window shown in picture.

ENJOY

• Susan K
    7 years ago

I too had the same issue. An old outdated kitchen that needed to be gutted but we didn't have the funds to do it properly or all at once.
    First, paint - paint the walls a light, bright color to open up the space.
    I would paint your cabinets bright white and change all of the cabinet hardware. That will make your kitchen look brighter and will provide a new canvas for you to make the other changes you want. Use a pretty valance curtain or window shade on the window and change the light.
    Next, you should investigate countertop options and flooring. If you visit a granite wholesaler, you may be able to install granite for much less than you think !!! These changes will make a big difference while not breaking the bank. Then, you can continue to make additional changes to achieve your dream kitchen.
    Although you cannot afford to have the changes done professionally, it may be worth your while to consult with a contractor to give you ideas for the design and materials - both for now - and for the future.
    Investigate, investigate, investigate. Use the internet to look for kitchen ideas that you love and to obtain savings on the materials and decorations you choose to incorporate.
    Good luck !! Have fun !!!

• Joel Sanchez
    7 years ago

Cheap and quick options. First, go white on the walls. Second, go with a medium gray on the cabinets. Very in color right now. Third, change the pulls on the cabinets and drawers to whatever you like. Fourth, declutter the random stuff above the cabinets and put some decorative elements. Fifth, two pendant lights over the half island area. Sixth, pendant light in the middle (perhaps a larger version of the two pendants over the island.

If you have more money cause you won the lottery.... Get all new stainless steel appliances, especially a fridge that tucks in, replace counter tops and add a new sink.

• PRO
    Outrageous Interiors
    7 years ago

Check out these renovations we did in Marietta, GA and simple improvements that can update and change the entire feel of your kitchen!

KitchenDesign and Renovation Marietta, Georgia · More Info

• solutionzbykat
    7 years ago

based on what I've seen and done with my place, not knowing if you can afford to loose some cabinet space, assuming you want to keep the cabinets in the same place, sorry if you did mention that. great if you want to paint the cabinets or if you want, can buy new. i recently had to replace my kitchen due to water damage..i have been shopping everywhere trying to get everything i want for a decent amount of money, which unfortunately has not been much. here we go -

i would:

cabinets:

do white or off white cabinets (careful that off white doesn't pull yellow or too much, unless that's what you want)

or

white, off white cabinets on the top and darker cabinets/different color cabinets for the base cabinets.

or

Ikea cabinets - take a look at them (i did and my boyfriend is a contractor and he loves them, approves of them). one bonus is you can get 40" for less than 30"/36" and cabinets with glass doors are super affordable. the cabinets are made very well and give lots of flex and options.

you could put in a few glass door cabinets, that also offers a sense of openness (if you like that look) and if you don't like clear glass, get the clear glass and there are a number of options to frost it.

if you end up buying base cabinets and or pantry cabinets, I suggest drawers (soft close is an industry standard these days)

loose the microwave about the stove. replace it with a counter top one and put it in the pantry cabinet next to the fridge. (i did this, love it)

get a range hood (I suggest Costco or Sam's club, best pricing I've seen so far, that's where i'm getting mine). this will give a sense of openness. I would run tile all the up, behind the range hood. this will give a nice focal point, pop. range hood example

back splash - it's completely ok to put this as the last thing on the list to do. bring home some samples, prop them up and see what they look like and go from there.

counter top: i suggest granite. the cost of granite is much more affordable these days. do make sure the fabricator does not make big seams and don't let them put a seam at the sink, don't let them bs you either and make sure they are not going to have a bunch of other unnecessary seems either. don't go less than 3CM on the thickness of the granite. I suggest looking at the granite as a piece of art on display that you can use. and if you find one that may be a few hundred dollars more, save the money, don't skimp on it.

hardware - I suggest pulls/handles on both the drawer and cabinets.

floor - I suggest porcelain tile, even the tile that looks like wood floor looks great and pretty much anything will work nicely. i do not recommend wood or wood laminate (dishwashers, sinks can leak, spills happen more often in the kitchen)

lighting - do under cabinet lightening all the way around. add more cans if you can. change your light bulbs to "daylight", possibly led bulbs

that's off the top of my head for the moment

• Roxanne Dufrene-Wessler
    7 years ago
    I am remodeling my kitchen on a tight budget. I personally like white appliances. changing your appliances is a big expense. My suggestion paint or white wash your cabinets, add crown molding and change the floor and counter tops if that works in your budget. Choose a bright cheerful color for accent. I have been working with Lowes and the designer. No charge. Watch for sales and discounts. Take your time.
  • Cin Z
    7 years ago

I nearly made it through all comments but I did not see anyone recommend doing faux granite finish on your countertops. My daughter is talented and did her friends kitchen then her own bathroom, pictures below, quite amazing and durable. That is a weekend DIY and a huge transformation. I myself waited for what seemed like forever and bought Cambria, looks like granite and you never have to seal it, its a quartz composite. Amazing stuff. Love my wood floors. My kitchen is oak floors oak cabinets etc and i am having my floors refinished the same and was considering painting my cabinets but I am so worried the painted look will go out of style soon and the oak will be back in style and then that would be a bigger mess. I have great hardware from Restoration Hardware, another place to try

• PRO
    Eden Mosaic Tile
    7 years ago

Have you
    considered using a metal backsplash for your kitchen?
    We are
    a premium online supplier of metal mosaic tiles for backsplash and other wall
    applications. If you are looking for ideas, feel free to browse our customer
    installations for metal backsplash ideas:
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/72838/eden-mosaic-tile-installations
    You can
    also check out our Houzz store at:
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/Buy-on-Houzz/seller--edenmosaictile
    Good
    luck with your kitchen design!

• zembar ...
    7 years ago
    I would lighten up the walls and sand and paint the cabinets. go neutral on the walls, then put a light color on the cabinets. you can also go white on the upper cabinets with a light color on the bottom.
  • susannehudacek
    7 years ago
    Putting my two cents in... Measure your kitchen, draw a rough draft of the layout and go to IKEA. They can help you with getting an idea of the triangle, etc. (If you are not living close to an IKEA you can also download the program from their website) It doesn't cost you anything. I have just done that within the last 4 weeks because I still live with a "before" kitchen. I would advise against a piece by piece installation. There comes a time when you have to bite the bullet and do it - do it right and be done with it. The kitchen is the most important part of the house, you wouldn't want to live in a construction zone for too long!
  • PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    7 years ago

Since you don't get enough of sunlight in your kitchen, you should definitely go lighter on cabinets, backsplash, and walls. For cabinets, Oasis cabinets would go perfectly and for the backsplash, this mosaic tile would be our suggestion.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    7 years ago

For the countertops, we suggest granite. It's easy to clean, naturally waterproof, durable, and always unique - each slab is different. Granite is available in an endless range of patterns and colors and it's most likely you will find the perfect solution for your kitchen. It can also be tinted to complement any color palette.

• Keyandrea Varner
    7 years ago

Keep cabinets the same. Change nobs or spray paint them. Change color on the wall kitchen so dark. Use a colorful back splash under cabinets, and change counter tops does not have to be this one, they have stick on to save money. Change old bar chairs or just update them with custion on top or paint them. This way the appliances would match.

• PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    7 years ago

If a "remakeover" I would paint the cabinets white. Leave the white appliances. Change the floor and perhaps the wall paint. If a complete "redo" I would recommend contacting a CKD designer in your area. I am a CKD in Tennessee.

• Paul Todd
    7 years ago

I love your kitchen. I understand you not liking the peninsula, I'm not a big fan of it either. I say start with a new color in your kitchen, something much lighter. Then if you like that, paint the cabinets if you wish. I love your windows, my kitchen doesn't have a single one. I am also jealous of your drawers, I only have two in my kitchen. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• jdorner2
    7 years ago

I read some of the comments but didn't have time to read them all so here's my thoughts. Definitely change the floor to a laminate wood floor of a dark color. Definitely take down that red thing over the window posing as a drape. Also, I think you should take down the black light that hangs down and replace it with a light that clings to the ceiling. I'm not sure if you actually use the island area but if you do then I would remove that cabinet closest to the island so that you could install a couple pendant lights that hang down with a cute globe on them. If you don't use the island area then I would cut that off completely. From the picture it does look like your fridge is a little deep for the space it is in. It may just be the photo and you may be fine with it. But you could consider selling that fridge and getting another that is not so deep.

• PRO
    Advanced Carpet & Interiors
    7 years ago

I believe that the small cabinet that comes out to the refrigerator needs to go. Change the flooring to something dark (medium shade). Paint the cabinets to a off white which will make the room appear much larger and bring your eye up. The countertops would be nice in either granite, like a light color with a light subway tile backsplash. Then change the small light in the middle of the room to a flush mount light. Take down the small red curtain and change out the accessories above the cabinets and put larger items, to make a statement.

Last change out the cabinet hardware to either glass knobs or brushed nickle and paint the walls a medium shade of paint to draw attention to the newly painted cabinets.

If you need help in exact color selections, please let us know.

• Pat Spray
    7 years ago

We'll be rehabbing a 1976 mfg home as our retirement "permanently on vacation destination" starting in a month. The location is perfect and with about 2 decades until our own expiration date - rehabbing makes more sense than buying something new to park our old bones in for such a short while. (I'm a web developer so I'll be charting our progress on a website ;-) ).

In the home we are moving from we used brushed aluminum 4 by 4 tile as a backsplash to bounce the light from a tiny window over the kitchen sink around in a small "u" shaped kitchen. It is my favorite part of the kitchen refurbishment and is the improvement that has garnered the most interest and comment (where did you get the tile, how to put it up, etc).

I'll leave one thought here: think outside the box.

Put together stuff YOU like - find an inspiration piece and build around it. Flooring can go on the ceiling, the walls, and even (in some cases) the counters! Something that is sold as "for the garage" might be an admirable kitchen organizer. Don't be afraid to make your own rules. If the only room in the house for that huge master bedroom of your dreams is the living room - go for it! That too small master bedroom might just make the perfect cozy, private TV room.

Good luck and post your progress... you never know who you will inspire.

• Carmen Hudgins
    7 years ago

I LOVE your cabinets just the way they are. I have had mine for 22 years. I think wood cabinets do not show dirt, nor wear and tear nearly as quickly nor as much as white or painted cabinets. I would suggest a new counter top to your liking, new window treatments, and new light fixtures.

• jozani
    7 years ago

I would take off the top cabinets by the window completely. I would put white quartz counter tops. If you like white cabinets paint yours all white, if not, there is a blue gray that would look beautiful with the light coming from the window. I agree you can make room by making sure the fridge fits in better. About the peninsula, I think if painted with quartz white top, it would be actually a nice thing. I would change the tiles on the floor as well to match the color of the counters or the walls. Hope this helps.

• Kat D
    7 years ago
    I moved into to our home and couldn't stand the oak cabinets. Because they were solid wood I had them painted a creamy color - the lightest on the wall color swatch. I had a handy man add beadboard to the unfinished side panels and it's looks like a new kitchen!
  • Stacy Oakey
    7 years ago
    go to home depot, work with a kitchen designer there. tell the you are looking to re do it all, and see what they come up with for your triangle. you don't usually have to purchase.
  • Tanya
    7 years ago
    My before and after kitchen. The total for cupboards/IKEA was about $3000 and fairly easy to install with my Dad's help. I love these cupboards and drawers. I choose ikea for price and size selection, I wanted taller upper cabinets.
  • gella81
    7 years ago

larosetamay, is that an 'upper' corner cabinet used for a sink base?

• Tanya
    7 years ago
    That is a corner cabinet and I bought a door that fit diagonally.
  • PRO
    Artbypetrina
    7 years ago
    Oh dear,,,, no wonder your confused cause I am reading all the replys .Make a cup of tea and think of your favourite kitchen you have ever seen now it's yours ,maybe on a smaller scale .paint comes in every colour and texture if it's not working for you take it off and start again.
  • Cherry Sweatman
    7 years ago
    Ideas on decorating a bathroom with a huge tub in apartments
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.