michael_barry54

What color rug for black couch, grey walls?

Michael Barry
7 years ago
Keeping in mind that we're eventually planning to paint the trim/doors/Windows white and we're also planning to paint or veneer the fireplace to update it.

Tv stand and shelving behind couch will be replaced with something white as well.

We don't know if we should do a grey, silver, cream, or dark red rug. Maybe none of those?

Comments (39)

• PRO
    Belltown Design LLC
    7 years ago

Earth tones with a simple, organic pattern.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Earth tones are the last choice I would make with black and gray how about a really interesting rug with either tons of texture like a shag or some some interestin g pattern ( not nessessarily yellow) replace the wood blinds with drapes to go with rug and have all the drapes the same. The drapes you have now go with nothing in the space.Check out Besta from Ikea for white storage and T.V stand Your Eames chair looks lonely maybe move it to another room where it makes sense. Get rid of fan with the light if you need a fan get one without a light. when you do the fireplace omit the mantel and if it was me i would get rid of the shelving unit too.Put a piece of art on that wall instead.

• Related Discussions

wall color paint advise for an old ceramic floor tiles

Q

Comments (6)
    I think if you select a wall color that is too well coordinated to the tile, it will only bring out the vibrant pattern in the tile. So pick colors you like. Let your personal style and the vibe of the rooms dictate the colors. Your walls, furnishings and accessories will take center stage so you won't really notice the tile. Area rugs will down play the tile too. Ceilings are a great opportunity to add color also.
    ...See More

HELP NEEDED - matching color to granite top

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi, We suggest that you g⁠⁠⁠⁠o for grey (safer) or black (more "loud" and daring) laminate colours as it matches really well with the granite you have. These colours will definitely give a touch of elegance and express a modern look theme! You may also do polishing for your Granite to give it back its shine thus you will look like you have a new kitchen! Please do contact us in jojo@stoneamperor.com.sg and we may provide you more information and feedbacks about countertops! Cheers, Stone Amperor team
    ...See More

What colour should I pick for my curtain? I have a grey bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    The color will be fine, but put up samples of the sheen to make sure you're really on board. Among other things, the more sheen, the more obvious any flaws.
    ...See More

Expat needing help with rug selection!!

Q

Comments (5)
    A small place will read better if done in sophisticated neutrals, I think. No rug in DR. A neutral rug in LR. Pull slightly more vibrant neutral colors from the neutral LR rug as they have done here.
    ...See More
  • Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Patricia, I agree with the blinds and the drapes; they will definitely go. They came with the house.

When we do the fireplace we definitely will omit the mantle. I am looking at low profile bestas for the tv topped with solid oak (thinking natural finish, maybe just some Danish oil).

I agree maybe the shelving just needs to go altogether. I was originally thinking to replace with 3 white floating shelves that start higher, but maybe I omit altogether.

I'm concerned about too busy of a rug or something with patterns. Would a solid look too boring?
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

Teardrop Ikat Kilim Rug - Slate | west elm · More Info

Amazon.com: Contemporary Art Rug For Living Room Area Rugs 5x8 Green Beige Brown · More Info

5x8 Mirage Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info
    still in popularity but slightly one off, always think it upgrades.

• PRO
    Joyful Surroundings Interior Design
    7 years ago

Color, color, color! Right now the room is completely neutral - much like all beige would be. Anything from reds and oranges to blues and yellows - or a mix of all - would be wonderful! Pop with patterned/textured pillows and drapes and you've got an interesting and exciting space!

• Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like that raven pillow and the black with red circles, thanks!

So I am hearing go with color... maybe a red rug... or better to do a grey rug and red drapes?

• RubyRoses
    7 years ago
    with those pillows..maybe something like one of these? you would want to start tying the red into different areas of the room.
  • sandradclark
    7 years ago

The rugs are all awful. Go with a jute rug & take it under the sofa about two feet each way. Change out the drapes to beige linen grommet top or clip top so they can move easily across the slider door. Also add one panel each to the outside of each of the windows (keep the blinds). Add color with art. glass pieces & sofa pillows.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Jute rugs are IMO very boring I think a patterend rug give sinterest and lets you use the colors as you wish so I guess my answer yes solid with all the other solids will be boring

• thinkdesignlive
    7 years ago
    And don't be too quick to think you have to paint your trim "white". It's very elegant and minimal to match your trim to your wall colors and it simplifies everything visually.
  • Cb
    7 years ago
    I would paint trim etc white. I think that there is ALOT of oak colour and any more beige or neutral will wash out the space.
    Go with the rest of the posts and choose colourful cushions( that can be changed in future if you want).
  • Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

CB, I agree, there is too much oak.

Any experience painting trim? Am I in for a world of hurt to take that project on? Should I just bite the bullet and hire a professional?

• Cb
    7 years ago
    I would pint brick a rich gray or make a facade around opening to keep the rustic brick feel.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would purchase nothing until you complete your plan of:

"eventually planning to paint the trim/doors/Windows white and we're also
    planning to paint or veneer the fireplace to update it.

Tv stand and shelving behind couch will be replaced with something white as well."

Spend your money on those items "important to you" first. Gazillions of rugs. Do not spend one dime until you get the basics as you want.

• Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cb, yes to both...thats what we were thinking... 3 options - 1 is to paint the brick a nice grey or white, 2nd option is to build over most of the brick with wood, drywall, or a combination to make it less brick, and the 3rd is to put a stacked stone or slate veneer over the brick and get rid of the mantle. I think we will start with painting first since it is the cheapest option, and we can always put the stone veneer over the top of that if it still doesn't have the impact we are looking for.

• Cb
    7 years ago
    Yes, painted whole house trim white, but we removed old and went with higher boards.Do a few good primer coats with a Kilz product or something that will adhere to the gloss finish. They'll be lots of floor taping, but if you decide to paint the walls then your clean wall painting will be cut in just above trim anyways. I think it will modernize and freshen the space! Have fun!
  • Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Judy, that is a good point... we just figure it may take a year before we can get the trim and fireplace done. The TV and shelves will be done within a week or two.

Maybe the smart thing is to buy an economical rug in the color we think we would like, and then see how it goes for a year while we wait on the rest. Once complete, if we still like the color we could invest in a nicer quality item.

• Cb
    7 years ago
    If you are up for a more modern style, as shown in your couch choice, then maybe a stone veneer would be the nicest idea.
  • sandradclark
    7 years ago

Check out Persian rugs with an overall design & many colors. It will give you inspiration for a color scheme.

• Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cb, we already painted the walls because we really just couldn't stand the color from the previous owners... so now it will be more work when we want to prep and paint the trim than if we had done it all at once, but when we did it, we just didn't have the time to do all of it. How did you do doors and windows (or were your windows already white?)

When you say you removed boards, do you mean that you replaced the floor molding but kept the crown? We are wondering if it may just be a better idea to buy all new trim (more in line with our modern style) and paint it before it gets put up. We know that will be more expensive, but it would ultimately complete the look better.

• Cb
    7 years ago
    I think you will find that the oak blinds may need updating. A Roman shade, sunshade woven roller type blind or 2" horizontal slat blind in a white or light colour would make them stick out less. This would provide privacy but not make a solid block on either side of fireplace.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

One year in your young life...a rug can wait. Not that important. Your floors are good. Spend your money where it really counts. Trust me...I am way, way older than you and your family. Start with the basics first and build on it.

Begin with the rug money going to a quality paint and do the trim. Love your panel doors. You could leave them as is. Trim? Try BM Linen White.

Could the t v mount on the fireplace if you removed the mantel? Think then you could reposition the sectional.

• Cb
    7 years ago
    We did buy new modern profile MDF trim (cheaper than wood) and primed and painted before install. Because it's new, we used no shoe moulding or quarter round- a more clean look.
    Windows and doors-I just tape the walls. Sometimes you need to do a fresh stroke of your wall paint to cut into door/window frame. But not a big deal. If you just painted the walls then it won't have faded, so would match . This is our Reno- Parisian Oak floors and Collingwood- Ben. Moore paint.
  • Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Judy,

We considered putting the tv on the fireplace but the room is pretty narrow (has a wet bar in the back right of the picture, not very visible) which limits our placement.

You think leave the doors oak when even after the trim is white? I thought conventional wisdom was to have doors, trim, and windows all the same color?

• Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

CB, your trim and colors look great, thats what we are going for.

• Karol Slomax
    7 years ago
    My view is that black goes great with gold...if you can get a rug or add ons in golden alike color it will look great.
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

removed rugs. removed curtains. removed unwanted pillows. i think you should research painting fireplace.

9 x 12 Area Rugs on Hayneedle - 9 x 12 Area Rugs For Sale · More Info

Jaipur Rugs Fables Bashful Area Rug - Area Rugs at Hayneedle · More Info

Jaipur Rugs Fables Valiant Area Rug - Area Rugs at Hayneedle · More Info

• Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Havingfun, I like that last rug a lot. I hat don't trust my tendencies to want to do everything monochrome, which that rug perpetuates.
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

all pillows are $25.00 >

Amazon.com: 【Bailand】pastoral Whisper Print Decorative Pillow Cover (18"x18", Bi · More Info

$25-$50 & Under $25 Decorative Pillows on Hayneedle - $25-$50 & Under $25 Decora · More Info

Amazon.com: throw pillow: Home & Kitchen · More Info

Amazon.com: Seville Stray Cats Pillow Throw Pillow: Home & Kitchen · More Info
    some rather different ones to mix in.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    7 years ago

Red would look fabulous. I think because you have the modern furniture, an antique rug would really stand out and make the space look incredible.

• Michael Barry
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I think I do like the red. Is that fine, to mix modern with something more oriental or non-modern in style?
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

yes, but you should have 3 of each element, this way it looks like it was part of the plan.

• Cb
    7 years ago
    I like the 2nd rug that havingfun posted. The strong pattern yet neutral colouring adds interests but not over bearing. IMO the red is a bit out of the room's character. Just my view tho.
  • Cb
    7 years ago
    The black patterned rug in the last post, I meant
  • J J
    7 years ago

love the pillows, havingfun. The cat pillow puts a smile on my face!

• J J
    7 years ago

I also have grey walls black couch. I have green in accents and rug.

• PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Michael Barry. You have a lot of great suggestions - love the cat pillow! Thought we might add a few more rug suggestions ranging from transitional and tribal to bold and dramatic. Good luck in your search!

Warm regards,
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.

Skull Rug, Reference No. 80277 08'02 x 11'03

30269 09'00 X 12'00 · More Info

30047 Contemporary and Abstract ‘Noir’ Ikat Area Rug, 10'00 X 14'01 From Esmaili · More Info

Kilims · More Info

Kilim Rugs · More Info

80222 Modern ‘Wanderlust’ Transitional Rug, 11'08" x 14'04" From Esmaili Rugs Co · More Info

30083 New Transitional Rug 8'11 x 9 · More Info

30157 Winds of Time Transitional Rug with Abstract Design and Modern Style · More Info

30274 07'10 X 10'02 · More Info
    30161 Abstract ‘Skies Are Blue’ Transitional Modern Area Rug, 08'00 X 09'11 From · More Info

• PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    7 years ago

Nothing wrong with monochromatic. I think it looks great just need that one treasure.

art...

penthouse - THE HOUSE / Dallas · More Info

Calle Chiquita La Jolla · More Info

Fireplace...

Ellis · More Info

East Plains Drive · More Info

Or rug...

Brighton Home · More Info

Vartian 2015 · More Info

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.