purplepnut

What would you do with this large tv wall???

Brenda
7 years ago

The space between the windows is 10 ft. The tv is 55" and we are buying a new one in the near future. I don't care about 'hiding" the tv. Maybe a larger built in console with open shelves or artwork? Interested in your thoughts and ideas! Thank you!!!

Comments (105)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

fam rm · More Info
    Just to give you a bit of an idea how the medium gray sofa, driftwood TV console and cabinets behind sofas and your purple chair, plus flooring would work together. Kind of hard to do this with any accuracy, but it gives a bit of an idea.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

sofas · More Info
    This is a nice sofa for your room. Good size (length, depth etc.) nice med gray, low arms so with pillows you can lay out for that nice little nap and transitional styling. Two of these with your existing chairs, plus rug, cabinets behind these sofas, and new TV console and then some art and done. I think perhaps some "movie" posters on the walls either side of your TV might be fun. I haven't forgot about your kitties either. I'll be back!

Brenda thanked Flo Mangan
  • Related Discussions

What would you do to modernise this dated facade?

Q

Comments (2)
    Here are a few examples of modern sidewalks. I think that I would replace, stain or cover the entry sidewalk with large rectangles of concrete or stone. I would also replace the door with a more modern door. Perhaps you could just paint the door that you have but definately remove the storm door or replace it. Paint the trim & facia a charcoal color would be nice. I think in the entryway I would cover the brick with a horizontal wood plank stained in a rich color and replace the light fixture. Upgrade landscaping by putting matching tall simple pots.
    ...See More

Need help creating an industrial feel that's still cozy

Q

Comments (4)
    I would get rid of that pendant. Here's one link to industrial pendant lights http://www.houzz.com/industrial-pendants Pick a light that you like and show it to your landlord. I bet she/he will say yes to your suggestion since pendant lights can easily be changed. In fact, if there's already a really secure junction box there already i bet they may even go with a ceiling fan light combo if that's what you really want
    ...See More

Which room do you like more?

Q

Comments (8)
    Such different styles for different usage but I vote A as I love that more seemless indoor outdoor experience and the way curtains can just break up the indoor and outdoor sitting areas
    ...See More

What should I do with this boring entrance?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Rachel, This is quite easy to fix. Firstly I would brighten the space up with a white paint such as Nippon Violet Whispers (warm white), this will give you a good base to work from. Then I would replace your table with one that is larger. This table is too small to be useful and is making your entrance feel small. I recommend using teak and keeping this console table simple in design. On the wall I would place artwork - the bigger the better as this will make a dramatic statement. Then add some lighting (table lamp on console table) and decorative items and voila your entrance will be instantly chic! I have mocked up two options for you - one is based on blues, the other pinks, so depending on your preference you can go either way. This is the blue version with hints of tropical This is the pink version. I would love to work with you, so if you are interested in my ideas, please contact me via my website www.atelierlane.com Ellie Owner & Creative Director Atelier Lane
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Garden Oasis · More Info
    Something like this in that back corner would be so fun and the kitties would LOVE it. Doesn't have to be this elaborate, but a pole (could be cat pole you currently have?) some shelves, with carpet glued down very fun. Also a box for their toys at bottom would be a good way to kind of organize and be a place to gather things up.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Downtown Madison, WI Condo · More Info
    Here is another shelf idea, very cute and easy to do too.

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo Mangan thank you so much - I'm glad you love purple too! I love your ideas for the I have been considering the shelf idea but have never seen them on an angle...what a great idea.

i picked out 2 sofas

Klaussner K29000

sofa - 86 x 39 x 30

1 arm loveseat w/ left arm chaise 87 x 59 x 30

i could not find a taupe fabric I liked and they had zero fabrics available with purple...which I wanted for the pillows...hmmmmp. I did not go with gray because I have zero gray elements now...

i went with a fabric with a subtle criss cross pattern in the color putty. It is beige..but I like it! Below is a pic of the swatch. Do you see yellow undertones? I can't tell. I have a hard time with that....during that whole "what color is the dress?" Debate on the internet, I saw white and gold! The hubs and kid saw black and blue!?!?

The second photo is a pic of the couch. I actually really like that oval ottoman....wonder if I should order that too...lol

i really love that rug you picked out and the angled couch layout very, very interesting. I'm going to test it out tomorrow.

I like the c table too....such a space saver....and if I don't have room for a big table this would work great. I need a spot for my coffee.

what do you think of the built in Jen Osborne suggested in her 3rd picture above? i'm pretty sure my husband could build that using stock big box cabinets.

window treatments - what color would u suggest? I'm really liking some orange/spice ones I have seen on wayfair......I'll post them in a bit.

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are a couple I like...I actually don't think the 2nd option is the right color.

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Or this

• havingfun
    7 years ago

flo, i love that rug, had it for nearly a year, could not give it away to anyone!

purpl, did you not like my rugs with purple? i like your new color on the sofa. you know mine should still go, no? I can give you pillows with purple, you want a set for the sofa and chairs? i kinda like to get the rug out of the way first.

here are some predone sets.

Amazon.com: pillow set of 4: Home & Kitchen · More Info

Amazon.com: pillow set of 4: Home & Kitchen · More Info

Amazon.com: Howarmer Square Cotton Linen Purple Decorative Throw Pillow Cover Se · More Info

Brenda thanked havingfun
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    That is nice fabric. Nice neutral. Love that oval ottoman! Perfect. I still think that rug would work and help tie everything together. I have to go back and look at what you are talking about for what your hubby could build. If it is the white, and now with your fabric choice, I am not a fan of the white. You can definitely bring your purples in with pillows and throw with purples. Let me look back. About drapery. I am undecided since you went beige on sofa. I will give it some thought and be back.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I think you have some decisions. First, rug. Because if you pick patterned rug you need window treatments to go quiet. I keep looking at your room. You have beautiful woodwork around your windows. I really don't think drapery is the way to go. It is going to overwhelm everything because there are so many windows. What is there now? Are those roller shades? I think Roman shades in a subtle linen look to be in concert with your new fabric would be good unless you want to do them in purple fabric! If the tv unit you are thinking is the IKEA I am not loving it. White and IKEA = cheap to me and I don't like IKEA products. When you add up all the pieces and your husband's time and energy putting the darn stuff together it is not a good buy in my opinion. I actually have a local company that puts the IKEA stuff together. They have all the extra parts, the special tools, and knowledge to assemble these units fast and right. They are very reasonable too. But you have to decide.
  • Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi having fun- I would have taken that rug! yes, I looked at the rugs - thank you. I have been drooling over rug #3 for a while now. I don't love it for my living room, but def a possibility for my bedroom, which has purple too. The first option I couldn't get a good look at but it seems too green. The other is very nice, but I don't love it. What I do love are the pillows you picked. Who knew there were pre done sets!?

i am on vacation all week ..yay! I will be going to a flooring store today to look at the area rugs they have in stock...I'll take pics.

Flo Mangan - thank you....IKEA is not my first choice either.

the window treatments I have are Graber double cell cellular shades and are brown. We chose these because they do a great job keeping the cold out in the winter (Maine) and heat out during the summer.

here is what I was thinking my husband could build between the windows. No bookcases....just the bottom piece with a wood top. Thoughts?

• havingfun
    7 years ago

ok i saved the rug you liked. when you tell me which you are going with i will give you the lumbars and statement pillows. have fun!

Don't forget take back the holidays!-means don't spend money on thanksgiving.

Brenda thanked havingfun
  • Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Havingfun I found the rug you couldn't get rid of!

here is one I love! It is all neutral gray, taupe, and beige an works with my new couch fabric. It's 100% wool and on sale for Black Friday on Houzz. Thoughts?

Oriental Weavers Anastasia collection gray

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

To be honest, I think the white cabinet look, gives the impression you couldn't do a proper console so just did "kitchen cabinets". I don't favor it. I would just do a nice wood (not orange!) console. Another option, is repurposed wood pieces which have a multi-colored look which would be really fun in your space and give it a more fun look. As to the window treatments, yes, the cell type shades are good for helping keep chills out. You understand how dominate drapery will look unless you do a color that matches the walls? idk You have a lot of windows and that is a lot of expense. I would just go with what you have and do some interesting posters or art around TV placement. I'll post a couple of repurposed consoles. I thought of that, but wasn't sure if this would be something you would like, but with the beige sofa, you need some fun in there!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

OMG, I love that rug. The one I posted and havingfun couldn't "get rid of". So, yes! Try it!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Gray one, not so much. It is OK, but I'm getting bland, bland, and more bland. But, your space. Maybe bring home several samples of varying looks and that will help you take the "leap"!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Back to consoles for TV.

Rustic TV Stand Media Center, 76" · More Info
    This is nice example of one that has some personality, but keeps things kind of quiet. Good size.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Modern Craftsman 3-Piece Entertainment Center, Distressed Oak · More Info
    this might be a good option. It would give some interest to that large wall, without loading it up visually. The open shelves are nice. I think this is 3 piece unit. Two towers and one center section.

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Should I try that rug now with my existing furniture? Or wait until the new stuff comes in? (8 weeks) They will let me bring them home. I like the rustic media console...would that 'go' with my existing tables? They are all natural maple...of course...lol... I'll attach pics in a bit. Maybe I worry to much about them matching and should just get them to coordinate?

also, I hear a lot about colors flowing from room to room....does that mean I should have touches of purple in every room? Or can I do a diff color scheme? I saw this rug yesterday and would love it for my dining room...which is not directly visible from living room.

• 111ideahound
    7 years ago

purplenut-- you have to have purple in every room because you love it. :)

Brenda thanked 111ideahound
  • 111ideahound
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Kaleen Inspire Sensation Rug, Mocha, 9'x12' · More Info

Safavieh Courtyard Collection CY8481 Indoor-Outdoor Rug · More Info

not exactly purple, but I think these would go and are lovely. I love the ivory/white curtains put in your room.

• 111ideahound
    7 years ago

• 111ideahound
    7 years ago

Kostya Geometric Pillow Purple 18"x18" · More Info

Pillow Decor - Caravan Cotton 16 x 16 Throw Pillows, Purple · More Info

Purple N Plum Basket Weave, Purple Art Silk 18"x18" Pillow Covers · More Info

• PRO
    sagegreenlife
    7 years ago

I would add two Edelwhite frames on each side! The subtle modern look would go great in your space and the plants would bring greenery and freshness!

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How about this one? 81" wide. Too yellow?? I've never ordered furniture online or anything from this company? Anyone have experience with them?

i will post pics when my new couch arrives with the rug above. I ordered the 3 pillows 111ideahound suggested.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

We can try to do a photo shop on it for you. My initial reaction is it wouldn't be my first choice. But I like the style and the height. I think the length is OK? Can't recall that distance between the windows? Was it 10'?? I can try a picture mock up later tonight for you.

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo - Yes, 10'. You think it's too light? Or is it the reclaimed wood? I never realized shopping for tv consoles would be so hard.

thanks again!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I can't seem to get this photo thing to work, so I will tell you that I think this is a really nice console. Here is how I think it can be stunning! Paint that long wall behind the TV/console, deep purple! This console would stand out and it would compliment your flooring, a rug and the beige new sofas. I think it fits (you have to verify that, because I see what looks like electric heat units?) But from your pictures it surely fits within 10', just make sure nothing is going to obstruct it. But I like it a lot. So, those are my thoughts. The paint on the walls also might negate the need for drapery! You would have to make that determination. Your woodwork is so lovely kind of a shame to hide it. But your call.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Did you order console? Are you thinking about painting wall purple? Very curious.
  • Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Flo! No console yet.... still looking around. Funny thing about the purple wall.... the wall behind my couch used to be eggplant! What color would you suggest? The BM color of the year.....Shadow..kinda a raisin color.....or eggplant? Plum? I love purple so painting is definitely an option!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Believe it or not, getting a great purple is hard!! And it depends on what undertone you prefer. Blue, brown, gray. I like a blue undertone. I like Behr 6608-7 Exotic Purple. Behr 6408-7 Berry Jam is a bit lighter and more purple undertone. But of course, you have to do samples in your light. But any of these would really be good with your floors in complimenting but also toning down the orange from the floors! I still like that console and it would pop against a purple wall! Go for it. That rug with the multi-colors and purples would be awesome with these combinations. Of course, the purple wall needs to work with your existing window treatments. BM Shadow is deep gray, so I wouldn't choose that for your room. I'm not one that runs with the crowd. So, you can set the new stage for 2018! Purple! Grays are out but people have it and a good purple brings life to grays. What would you say the undertone is of your purple chairs? I don't have a good picture of those chairs?

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Flo - definitely blue undertones. I will get a good picture of them tomorrow in the natural light. I will also go to HD and get the paint chips for the 2 colors you recommend. I agree that finding the right purple is hard. When I painted my wall eggplant it did not look purple at all, it looked dark brown!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Yep! Quite often these go brown. You make purple by talking red and blue and black to get a purple shade. More black darker color. You also need deep base to get depth of color and you need proper tinted primer. Good luck. Bring several tones home to rest in your light as you know!
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

Room Reveal - The Lilac and Grey Bedroom · More Info
    found this guy today. new i saved for a reason, gray white and purple.

Brenda thanked havingfun
  • Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a closeup of my chair fabric.

here is what my coffee table and side tables are...of course, more yellow!! They are also natural maple.....do you think the tv console I picked will coordinate? I'm not really sure how to mix wood types, colors.

i didn't get to HD today for paint chips.. hope to do that tomorrow!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Your purple (at least on my screen) has a lot of brown in it. But I would go for the more purple look because the chairs will blend nicely. The woods will look fine together. The console will pick up the lighter looks in your flooring and they aren't all grouped together, so you will have other pieces that create your overall look. I think you found the one. I haven't seen anything better (and it is long too) with as much look and function. Maybe you could see it somewhere in person? Or get a wood sample? Might be worth a phone call. I'm not sure where that one came from?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I just scrolled back and checked, it came from Wisteria. I have a Wisteria near me, so if I get a chance and you are serious about this one, I'll run over there next week and check it out for you. Just let me know.

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo-thank you so much for offering to stop and check it out for me. I have never ordered furniture online before and very hesitant to do so. I really wish I had a Wisteria here in Maine....seems like they are only in TX. iF it is not too much out of your way and not too inconvenient for you to do so, then yes, please check it out for me.

111ideahound - thanks.....they were ordered from www.pompy.com. They still need a knob or drawer pull.

i'll get a better pic of the chairs.....

thanks !

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 years ago

Depending on your budget you can also do something like this

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

GN Builders - what a great idea!!! Any website you would suggest Where I can take a look at ventless fireplaces?

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 years ago

This is one of the sites where you can find a large selection of fireplaces they also do free shipping... they have direct vents, and ventless, also take a look at advanced electric fireplaces which are very popular today especially for built-in's... you can also check locally for businesses specializing in fireplace sometimes they have good deals going on left-over models.

Good luck

Brenda thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • jjanetspiteri
    7 years ago
    I agree it does seem unfinished. I would build a cabinet with open shelves and drawers underneath you can hide the cables in one of the drawers and affix LED lights to the cabinet so you can turn off the room lights and still have light in the room from the cabinet. Also I believe a good idea to make the TV easier on the eyes is to have a light just above it. I suggest a soft-white/off-white.
    Brenda thanked jjanetspiteri
  • Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think you can really see the color better now.

Flo- getting the paint chips today. I didn't get out yesterday. We set up the tree and decorated for Christmas.

• Akasam Interior
    7 years ago
    Nice combination
    Brenda thanked Akasam Interior
  • PRO
    wolfstang03
    7 years ago
    you need a massive sound system and a 70" TV!
    Brenda thanked wolfstang03
  • Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wolfstang03 - lol! My husband would agree if he had his way. We just ordered a new 65" tv..... should be delivered Wednesday.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

On my "To Do List" to get to the shops maybe tomorrow but decorating has taken over here too! Have fun!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

UPDATE: Houston Wisteria shut down. Nearest is in Dallas which is 5 hour drive so no luck there. Sorry. I could call them and ask a bunch of questions. It is reclaimed wood, so I wonder if it might have splinter factor with young ones? Not sure. I love the look of it and I think it would be great in your room, just questions. Ask about their "return" policy. Returning "restocking fees", etc., shipping costs, etc. Have to be careful for sure.

• Brenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Flo! I really appreciate you going there for me. I'm going to look at a few local furniture stores this weekend. Lots of 'floor model' sales going on right now...maybe I'll get lucky....most likely, not. Our new tv will be delivered today....it is bigger than the one we have now....(sigh)

I went to HD last night. They did not have paint chips for the 2 colors you suggested. I used the 'paint finder' computer at the store and it told me paint chip not available. Looking at the colors though, I think they may be too purple for me. I prefer a deeper purple....specially if I am going to paint that entire wall!

i really do appreciate all of the advice you and the other Houzzers have given me thus far. Thank you!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    My pleasure. You will find the right one. I will keep looking too!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.