edubya

POLL: Do you have a dedicated space for working from home?

Emily H
7 years ago

HOME OFFICE | Contemporary Home Remodel Part Three · More Info

Do you have a dedicated space for working from home in your house?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes
No

Comments (73)

• S Elizabeth O'Kane Stone
    7 years ago

I would like suggestions on in kitchen office work area with storage and organizing space with cabinets above and below desk and filing systems next to desk.

• Jeff Lapides
    7 years ago

I move around to get the best light and temperature depending on season and time of day.

• Related Discussions

i am bored with the look of my home!

Q

Comments (26)
    Hi. It's looking really good and you've done well with the bookshelves! ! I love the new sofa! I would say just a tad more yellow if your husband can bear it, doesn't have to be solid yellow. I'd add something else on the left shelves (I'd move one shelf of photos to the right hand shelving and swap for some books), maybe a ginger jar if you can get an old one. Maybe a patterned throw or cushion for your wooden chair and a small yellow throw for the bench just draped over the corner. Table idea sounds great. Are you happy with it? I think it's made such a big difference
    ...See More

Covering up Verandah planter in Singapore

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Tammy, these planter boxes are pretty common these days and we've covered lots of them for homeowners staying in places like The Minton and The Palette. Our proposed solution is to build a stainless steel structure with industrial-grade walkway grating to span the depression in the balcony. This solution ensures a lifespan of 10 years and beyond. Then, we give homeowners the option of covering the area with artificial grass or wooden decking. I'm not sure about your balcony, but most balconies do get rainwater falling on it. This solution is ideal as it doesn't rot like a wood base does over time. I've attached a picture from one of our customers showing how we covered her planter box. Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us or visit our website at AbsolutOutdoors.com for more information. Warmest regards, Gareth Lim Absolut Outdoors Pte Ltd
    ...See More

How can I spice up my boring balcony?

Q

Comments (8)
    Artificial turf! The green (they come in different colours, too, if you'd like to be psychedelic) adds a lively pop of colour to a blah space, and they're designed in easy-to-install tile-style units that have some built-in drainage for minimal maintenance. Absolut Outdoors and Green Turf can tell you more :) And I'd hang an outdoor art piece or a screen for air plants on that blank wall, too, to enliven your balcony.
    ...See More

How to maximise space in a small apartment?

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm not a pro (and I hope a real designer answers your question), but here's how my family does it in Singapore: 1. Get rid of things. Don't fall prey to sunk cost fallacies. Just because you bought a piece of furniture or a bunch of clothing or books or toys or whatever, doesn't mean you need to keep them if they are no longer working for you. You can sell stuff on Carousell or donate them to needy people. Sometimes not having those things will provide more value, by freeing up space, than the false belief that you need to keep things around because you paid for them. 2. Everything should be multi-function. Especially here in Singapore, everything should have multiple uses. Your bed can lift up to provide storage. Your book shelf can also be your entertainment stand. Your coffee table can double as a breakfast nook or homework table. No tool in your kitchen should be a one-job tool (for example, if you have a blender, a food processor, a spice grinder, an immersion blender, a coffee grinder and a mortar and pestle - maybe it's time to clean out the kitchen cabinets). 3. Rotate toys We have a baby at home and try really hard not to accumulate too many toys. To do that we have two toy bins. Every two weeks we switch the bin that's in rotation, so every two weeks our baby gets "new" toys that he hasn't seen for a few weeks. That allows us to keep the total number of toys to a minimum and he seems to be pretty happy (and hasn't caught on to this trick yet). Hope that helps some. Google around for "small apartment" blogs and ideas - there is a ton out there. Andrew
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    7 years ago

Well I have a dedicated spare bedroom that is set up as an office/library but since I got my first laptop 10 years ago, I rarely use that space and really use my FR sofa for all my work.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm a full-time telecommuter. When I started, I worked from the dining room in my apartment. So when I bought my house 18 years ago, I made sure it had a room for an office with a door I could shut. It's located on the first floor, just inside the front door -- perfect. It's important to shut the noise out when I'm in here, and it's also important to shut the work in when I'm NOT in here. Having the space has made it possible for me to telecommute successfully for two decades.

• excanuck
    7 years ago

Like many of the above responses, my workspace started out with the best of intentions: Faced with the choice of moving or enlarging our home in order to provide our sons (who were just 22 months apart in age at the time) the space they needed to express their totally different personalities and interests, my husband and I decided to add a second floor to our home. The result was a large new master bedroom suite for us . . . and a separate room that would allow me to keep my sewing, craft, calligraphy and writing activities and supplies out of sight from the rest of the family and unexpected guests who showed up at our door.

That was in the early '80s, and much has changed since then; e.g., both kids out of college and out into the world to make their own fortunes . . . marriage and two kids for one of them and a new career for the second. . . a home-based business for me . . . and death of my husband 6 years ago. And, of course, my workspace has changed accordingly, as well.

e.g., the clothing rod in the closet designed to hold out-of-season garments and other items, was removed and replaced with wire shelving and wooden shelves to hold the supplies mentioned above . . . the drafting table and tool below the large window was replaced with two low, matching cupboards, a small bookcase and two tall, hard plastic sets of shelving for books and small equipment. The large desk and hutch that fit into the corner of the room and extended onto the two adjoining walls was assembled inside the room and was too heavy to move, still sits on the same spot, but is now surrounded by the low filing cabinets and printer tables that I needed for my business, but which was dissolved several years ago. The remaining pieces have been rearranged from time to time to accommodate the changing focus of my interests (e.g., the table that once held another printer received new life when I moved it to the opposite wall to serve as a my sewing table, though I had to push it several inches toward the closet several months ago, in order to accommodate a storage cabinet holding doll clothing and supplies (another interest) when I needed its space for a portable fireplace to warm up the bedroom during the winter months.

Needless to say, it's hardly the productive workspace I once envisioned. There's hardly room to walk around in here anymore and my desktop is covered with paperwork for all the personal and volunteer projects I'm working on. My goal is to reorganize the room and get rid of what I don't need . . . And I will — just as soon as I can declutter the rest of my life. The only thing stopping me is all those other projects that are so much more interesting and fun to work on.

• Blogen Dot
    7 years ago

Just finished remodelling my house, and i have a small room for workshop since i'm a crafter and runs an online shop. The workshop extended to the attic above my bedroom, connected by a metal stairs, giving more space to work

• Webado Webada
    7 years ago

Oh yes, I have a very nice dedicated room to use as a home office. It's bright and you can step out onto the brand new deck that sits on top of the garage. The only problem is that it's a mess because I'm very disorganized myself. Now that the tax filing deadline is approaching I'll have to get organized else I won't be able to find anything. One of these days ....

• PRO
    ANN G
    7 years ago

Yes i do and it dedicated for only work s.Its a very comfortable and inviting space for My at Home Decorator business

• buster57
    7 years ago

Nope. When I broke my ankle and had to work from home for 6 weeks I was working at my kitchen table (which is my only table). Made meals very interesting but I was dedicated. Then I finally thought I should buy a small desk. I am so glad I didn't because I was fired 3 months later! So much for dedication. LOL.

• Joann Scheetz
    7 years ago

I had an office with computer desk and a wicker daybed for occasional guests.. When my mom moved in with us for part of the year, we converted it to a bedroom for her with her own furniture. Now I work at a corner of the kitchen table using a laptop and have no real space to store my files and books, I recently ordered a small oak desk, which will fit in a corner of the dining area. It will hold some of the paperwork and books, even if I still sit at the table to work.

• Brandi Rea
    7 years ago
    we barely have room in our house for us! definitely don't have extra space for a work space. all these people wanting tiny houses are out of their minds lol!
  • Giselle Sitdykova
    7 years ago
    I converted a linen cabinet between two bedrooms into a desk, wrapped a stone looking paper around the cabinet top, screwed on a sliding keyboard from an old desk and added a few white shelves from Michael's Crafts store and a white leather chair, the whole setup cost me less than $200. It was an inexpensive, attractive and functional solution to make a dedicated work-from-home space and collect various documents in one place. I need only a computer for work, so I didn't need a whole bedroom for it. I should've added a light somewhere.
    I ended up using a kitchen table for my laptop. :)
  • Cheryl Cotter
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

After my son and his family moved out I switched bedrooms, and transformed my old room into a library/work area. It is about 13' x 16'. I have 12' of bookcases, a 6' x 2' sofa table under the triple window overlooking the garden, with a very small computer/printer set up with a rocking chair. There a small sitting area with a pink/blue floral couch and chair, a cut down kitchen table for tea parties and paper sorting in front of the fireplace. It is painted a very pale yellow as it faces north, and has a large pink rug, with floral prints on the wall to keep it cheery in winter.

• PRO
    Kate Cledwyn
    7 years ago

It's a must to have a little corner of dedicated work space to separate your self from your domestic life. I am lucky to have a balcony space so I can let a breeze in. I can also close the 'office' when it's time to stop! I have just painted my office Hague blue which has given it a smart more formal feel perfect for a more work like atmosphere. I change my art on the walls to see how it feels for clients buying my work so I can experience it.

• roserustler
    7 years ago

In a corner of our great room we have a work space located behind my L shaped sectional. It is positioned so that my husband has just over 5' wide and about 8' long spot. Book cases in front of a narrow window and around the corner of the room. A hard core door finished, trimmed and stained set over 4 filing cabinets comprises his desk or command center. It is a cubby just large enough to load way more stuff into than he actually needs. No pictures available!! But it allows him to be on the computer all day "studying" and I have a laptop closeted under some nested tables at the other end of the sofa. This way we can be together, which is just what we want to do. :-)

• buster57
    7 years ago

2 filing cabinets and an old door on top.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7 years ago

Yes, but I think mine's ready for an update. Lots needs to get done from home, but luckily it's just a computer so my work space is small and clean.

• stewarlo70
    7 years ago
    I work for a financial institution where we're asked to work from home twice a week so I have converted our library space into my office. It already had a desk and a French door so it worked out perfect!
  • Nadia North
    7 years ago

YES! I have recently taken over and organized our home office, and now I LOVE it! First I had to deal with mountains of paper, but it was so worth it! My blog post about organizing my home office, and what I did with all the paper/books is here: http://wp.me/p7PFcl-jP

• PRO
    Cameron's Design
    7 years ago

Yes, I have a dedicated home study in a corner of my bedroom. And as my decor is of a bright Victorian style, I find it to be highly inspirational for my home decor descriptions.

• Lisa Witteman
    7 years ago
    I work full time from home. My office is in a spare bedroom. There is a double bed and nightstand in the room for guests, but my desk and an armoire use most of the space. The armoire houses the printer/scanner and office supplies. My desk has a keyboard tray, but no closed storage. I like the lighter look of it. The challenge for me is, this is my 8 hour a day office, and ergonomics are important for my 50 year old body. I need a real desk chair, and two large monitors. I cannot work from a cute vintage chair, typing on a laptop keyboard and looking only at a laptop screen. How do I make this look good, or at least better?
  • Khoncepts GraphicArt
    7 years ago

I finished off the loft space in my townhouse to use as my office and studio. I used my graphic art printed area rug to pull together my favorite colors. Creating prints using clients' favorite 2-3 colors on a variety of home decor and fashion items is the main portion of my day.

• agentkate13
    7 years ago

I'm a realtor and turned my second bedroom into an office/cat space. I had cabinets built like steps under the window. The cats can lay on top and look out and I have storage underneath. Also a desk that goes around both walls with a corner connecting unit. A great space for me.

• buster57
    7 years ago

agentkate13: pictures please???

• agentkate13
    7 years ago

Okay but I have to finish cleaning my desk surface first.

• agentkate13
    7 years ago

Here are some pictures.

• buster57
    7 years ago

agentkate13: This is terrific. It would work for my space too! Gotta figure out how to print your pictures. Thanks so much. What lucky kitties!!

• agentkate13
    7 years ago

I got the desk from Wayfair and put it all together myself. I had the cabinets built and stenciled kitties on them.

• pianogram
    7 years ago

I am a piano teacher. The music room is just large enough for my baby grand piano, bookshelves, and a closet and file cabinet full of music. There is a small sitting sitting area for guests, should we invite a parent in for an mini recital- however the room is too small ( 14'x15') for a concert venue.

• Judy T
    7 years ago

I work at home 1 day a week and since my galley style kitchen has a nice big built-in desk on 1 end by the only 2 windows in the room, that is my work space. The desk has 2 large legal size file drawers on 1 side as well as a wide shallow drawer above the open area. My printer fits under the desk when not in use. I have a small table with 2 chairs in front of the windows and 1 of those chairs serves as my desk chair when needed. The only problem with working in the kitchen is I'm much to close to food! I never snack when at the office but when working at home I seem to snack all day, but I do love my work at home days.

• klolo
    7 years ago

Yes and I spend a lot of time there running my business so I dedicated a lot of time to it. I have a desk I found at a Salvation Army that I absolutely love paired with a pink chair I found at Marshalls. My office used to be a family room with a bar, so I now use that as a stand up desk instead. I also have a chaise where I can prop my feet up and continue working from my laptop when I get tired of standing. Switching often between these 3 positions helps me work longer hours without any neck or back pain. I also have a yoga mat on the floor so whenever I feel any kinks starting to creep in I can sneak in some stretches.

• wfamularo
    7 years ago

We bought our house specifically because there was a space for a home office. We could save the rent money and buy a nicer house. The house has a side door off the driveway leading to a three season room. We insulated the room and added heat. We moved the laundry room which was just outside the three season room into the basement. The old laundry room has become the waiting room for patients. We close the pocket door which leads into the main house and we have a separate office, waiting room and bathroom. It has been an easy solution to our office needs for years!

• PRO
    Affordable Chic
    7 years ago

I have an area in kitchen that is my dedicated work space. It's convenient to all my shelving and storage in the hallway for all my samples, files, blueprints, etc. It keeps my desks organized and clutter free.

Also, I am steps away from my beautiful backyard to take a Arizona sunshine break and when I need a snack the kitchen is right here!

• User
    7 years ago

I' worked from home full time for 7 years and converted a third bedroom to a complete office. Right now, we are living in a house we are renovating to sell. Still using a bedroom for the office, but not nearly as nice! We are looking forward to getting into our "permanent" home so we can have something a LOT nicer!

• Kimmie Rose
    7 years ago
    I do not, but my poor husband does! Because he smokes, he has set up shop in the garage. Nothing fancy, it works for him. He is working hard right now
  • cindyloufrase
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Created an office this year. Fabulous. Mid-Century modern furniture, plus everything needed for a functioning office. My favorite room of the house.

• doglover56
    7 years ago

I work from home full time. Several years ago I built my dedicated home office in our basement. It was pretty basic at first, but over the years I have added a coffee bar, built in cabinets and shelves and other touches.

• Amber Lynn
    7 years ago

Occasionally I work from home. My partner and I have a dedicated room for a shared office space. So we each get our own desk. Sadly our master bedroom is not large enough for his clothes so the closet in the office is for his clothes. Our desks were bought off Craigslist and we use the IKEA KALLAX system for our office storage. We went with the light pine color since it helps lighten the room up. I also bought a cool mid century cushioned chair from Craigslist and a matted rug from Bed Bath and Beyond to protect the wood floors from the chair. It's a work in progress always, but having my own corner in the room keeps me productive when I do work from home.

• PRO
    Ferris Zoe Design
    7 years ago

here it is, and the view is the pacific ocean

• User
    7 years ago

Hi Lisa Witteman! How wide and how deep are your desk? I, too, work at home. I use two large monitors connected to a laptop that is docked - the monitors and all my peripherals connect to the dock (or are wireless). I recommend a really good ergonomic chair. I've been using HON chairs for years - one of the higher numbered lines. That in combination with a Relax the Back footstool protect me from back strain.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

I do - it's a third bedroom that's too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer, but at least I can close the door on the chaos. Since I use both my computer and my watercolors for my designs, it's a bit packed with supplies. I had a built in shelf done a few years ago and it has helped. If I could only keep my desk clear. Sigh...

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Yes, the tiniest room of the house ! But i get plenty of sunlight, I love it !

• PRO
    Frontier Custom Builders
    7 years ago

A stand alone office space out of the house works great when the spare bedroom no longer works or if there is too much going on inside the house while you are trying to work.

Also, for business owners that hesitate to bring clients into the home office, it is very nice to have the option of a separate office structure.

A couple examples:

• Margaret Blount
    7 years ago

I manage two apparel lines (sold via Etsy and our own websites) from home, with my office (and inventory) in the basement and a garage conversion for our screenprinting studio. I fantasize about building an addition to our house so that I can move the business out of our personal spaces, but that's an expense we're not in the position to have yet.

• June Buongiorno
    7 years ago
    Yes, I do have a dedicated office space in my garden apartment. The study serves as my work space for my realty company. I enjoy a pretty white functional desk and white upholstered office chair from Pottery Barn. Added a small white second file cabinet at end of desk. Now I have two file cabinets, a printer, bookcases on opposite wall to store books and a white queen size sofa bed between.
    Works very well for my work. And thinking my meeting with some clients can be in that room as well as Starbucks as has been before. All works well!
    I also work on my iPad in a living room chair I use for my stock market investments as I listen and watch the markets each week day morning.
    I, also used to teach piano in my home studio on a small grand piano in my living room.
    Now I have a Yamaha upright in my new garden apt living room. My music is stored in a old Lane baby chest that I refurbished years ago. That chest is stored in a closet near my piano. I am always looking for students to teach them the piano keyboard.
    I compose and post compositions to staff note paper.
    I like detail!
  • RedRyder
    7 years ago

I have worked from home for decades so having a substantial room for my business has always been a priority. Our current house was custom built by someone who clearly agrees.

I overlook several paddocks since my husband runs our horse boarding farm. Highly distracting.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    7 years ago

In our last house (we recently down-sized), I had an entire suite, complete with outside deck and small kitchen (and loads of storage). Now, I am sharing space with our "music room" (need to get some pics of that!). But, you make do, and it is all about organizing for us.

• User
    7 years ago

A room off my Den

• Rhoda Powers
    6 years ago

Yes, I have a climate controlled glass studio in a sub basement. It was the reason I bought the house.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.