tjrock3

Thoughts on custom home building?

T Rock
6 years ago

Hey everyone,

I've read through quite a few threads at this point, and have recognized and enjoyed the wealth of expertise and experience on display. I wanted to get a general idea from folks on how long and how expensive building a custom home would be. I'm really just flirting with the idea right now. I've never even owned a home before (spent the last 17 years living in major cities in the US building my career). However, now I'm in Missouri and really dislike all of the ranches with atriums for sale.

I'm thinking of buying property like this:

Property in Augusta, MO

And building something like this:

https://www.houseplans.com/plan/3047-square-feet-4-bedroom-4-bathroom-3-garage-craftsman-country-40427

or

https://www.houseplans.com/plan/2946-square-feet-3-bedroom-3-5-bathroom-2-garage-country-traditional-40497

Something around 3,000 sq ft. Farm house, cottage, craftsman, cabin like. Good views, lighting, and fairly high quality building materials.

Anyway, I know it's impossible to predict exact costs and timelines and anything can happen, but I was curious what the best case, average and worst case scenarios would look like.

Also, any thoughts on different starting ideas for home plans are gladly welcomed.

Thanks,

TJ

Comments (30)

• One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

Also, any thoughts on different starting ideas for home plans are gladly welcomed.

Do you like to read? If so, this is your lucky day! :-D

See these threads for book recommendations and Bubble Diagram explanations:

Book Suggestions

Another Book

Bubble Diagrams

I have read, and enjoyed, Field Guide to American Houses and Get Your House Right. And I can't wait to get my hands on Patterns of Home.

Like many other folks, I started off looking at plans online, couldn't find anything I really liked, and then played around with stuff myself, as a hobby/stress reliever.

The more I learn about architecture, the more I am glad I did *not* try to DIY a home design (or buy a pre-made plan), because there's *so much* to do and learn and understand. I'm at the tip of the iceberg of Architectural Knowledge, which gives me just enough confidence to speak semi-intelligently with a residential architect, and really appreciate their value.

T Rock thanked One Devoted Dame
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

2 yrs. 700k.

T Rock thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Landscaping design with neighbor's garage

Q

Comments (10)
    I agree with the others - ask your neighbor about painting the side of the garage that faces your yard. Depending on your style of decor, you can treat this as a part of your yard and change the appearance completely. Consider a low fence to separate your yard from the street/driveway, something similar to the red fence shown, to provide you a smaller "room" for entertaining. I live in an area where the side of the neighbors house defines the property line and have decorated the side of the neighbors house with various items to break up the expanse of wall (old window frames with the glass missing, sections of old iron fences, bird houses, etc); it really helps to cozy up the space. A trench filled with gravel and topped with larger rocks will help with the water issue and direct the water to other areas of the yard. A brick or paver patio would be lovely for establishing a conversation/grill area. The pictures submitted by PC have some great ideas. I can't recommend plants since I have not idea what part of the country you are located in
    ...See More

Singaporean Houzzer? Say Hi!

Q

Comments (91)
    Hi Everyone! We are a creative, caring, energetic team of individuals who take pride in striving to be the best we can be for ourselves, our suppliers and our customers. We are excited by giving our customers the tools to create homes that are not only good to look at, but are fun, comfortable and functional to live in too. We aim to spark the imagination, so that our collections will give their owners a sense of putting their own unique stamp on their environment. Twenty years of travelling the world, searching for the unique has given us the inspiration and resources to create our own ‘Originals’ blend of furniture for the home. Shop at our online store : www.originals.com.sg or drop by our showroom at 896 Dunearn Road, Sime Darby Centre #02-03, Singapore 589472 Tel: +65 6471 9918 | Email: Shop@originals.com.sg Cheers, Originals
    ...See More

Covering up Verandah planter in Singapore

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Tammy, these planter boxes are pretty common these days and we've covered lots of them for homeowners staying in places like The Minton and The Palette. Our proposed solution is to build a stainless steel structure with industrial-grade walkway grating to span the depression in the balcony. This solution ensures a lifespan of 10 years and beyond. Then, we give homeowners the option of covering the area with artificial grass or wooden decking. I'm not sure about your balcony, but most balconies do get rainwater falling on it. This solution is ideal as it doesn't rot like a wood base does over time. I've attached a picture from one of our customers showing how we covered her planter box. Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us or visit our website at AbsolutOutdoors.com for more information. Warmest regards, Gareth Lim Absolut Outdoors Pte Ltd
    ...See More

Project Snapshot - 4-room BTO HDB Flat

Q

Comments (1)
    well done
    ...See More
  • Pensacola PI
    6 years ago

2 plus yrs, countless hours and breaking ground next month. Lot of work, do your homework. You can’t predict a cost per sq ft anymore than you can buy a Lexus by the pound.

T Rock thanked Pensacola PI
  • opaone
    6 years ago

Cost can be $100 - $400 / sq ft. Or more. This is extremely geography dependent though so check locally.

Design/Architect time can be 1 month - 7 years. More or less. I think most are 3-6 months but our architect averages 12 months and ours took several years.

Build time can be maybe 6 - 28 months. Or more. The higher quality the builder the longer it will take as the people they use take much greater time and care to do stuff properly and there are fewer of them so a project will often sit for a week or two waiting on the next sub.

Visit open houses for local builders to get an idea of what they can build for what cost. These will likely be lower cost production builders and mid cost pseudo custom builders. True custom builders don't often do open houses unless it's for an Artisan Homes tour or similar but the visits will give you an idea of what's out there.

T Rock thanked opaone
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

In our area most of the custom builders also do open houses too. Only one or two don't. (I wish I could have used either one of those two.)

T Rock thanked cpartist
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

I'm in Missouri too, but I'm in north Missouri. Farming country.

The price per acre for the piece you show is very, very high. I guess because of its proximity to St. Louis? Do you need to live that close to the city?

T Rock thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • T Rock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for a lot of this feedback. I do like to read and I’ll check out some of the recommended reading list.

Visiting local builders/ open houses is an excellent idea. Thank you

Yes, I have to be close-ish to St Louis. It’s funny you think it’s “that close” as many folks aware of where I’m looking think it’s the boondocks.

400 per sq ft is way too much. Is it really that hard to predict the cost? I mean there’s a huge difference between 600,000 and 1.2 million. That variability could be enough to dissuade me from this course of action altogether.

6 years ago

T Rock: Welcome to Missouri.

Yes, it's all a matter of perspective. The last time I was in St. Louis, I was driving alone to a conference. When I topped a ridge and looked down at the traffic crammed into 12 driving lanes, I decided then and there that I'd never drive in St. Louis again! In my small town I don't even have to use my turn signal because if there's a car behind me, they know where I'm going!

And the very best farming land in all of Missouri wouldn't sell for much more than $7,000 an acre. Comparing to your $20,000 per acre seems ludicrous to me. But to each their own.

T Rock thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • User
    6 years ago

Yes it’s that hard to predict costs.

Location is only part of it. The exact home design is part of it. A 3000 sf boxy Colonial will be easier and cheaper to frame than a many gabled and hipped NeoEcclectic Nightmare.

Specifications for products used is part of it too. You can spend $79 for a stock vinyl white window off the shelf, or 2K per window for thermally modern black steel units. You can buy $3 a square for seconds and thirds “cabin grade” flooring or $25 s square for real salvaged sinker cypress. A 3K GE Cafe range or a 55K Molteni.

Decide if you want a Chevy Sonic or a Maserati.

Everything will cost at least twice what you think it should cost in the beginning. And take twice as long. And that’s a successful build. Your unaffordable $400 per square? If you want luxury, you can find yourself there in a heartbeat.

T Rock thanked User
  • T Rock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks and So true, little bug. Definitely perspective. DC traffic takes years off your life compared to St Louis. I grew up in a small town. So I know what you’re talking about.

• T Rock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

“Neoecclectic Nightmare”. I feel like you know me.

thank you for providing some color to the costs. That makes a lot of sense. If car analogies help, M3 crossed with Jeep Wrangler.

6 years ago

Start looking at homes you like in the area you like. Try to find something as close as possible to what you want to build on a similar acreage. When you find one, add at least 25% on top of the cost of the existing home. Because new costs more.

• T Rock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey little bug. Thank you. Interestingly enough, there’s a perfect home to compare it to. It’s right next to the plot of land for sale. To clear up any confusion: I don't want this house.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/326-Coyote-Crest-Ln-Augusta-MO-63332/89789587_zpid/

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Do yourself a favor and before you even think of building, educate yourself a bit on good design so you don't wind up building a McMansion like the one you just linked to.

A good book to start with would be What Not To Build

• new-beginning
    6 years ago

the kitchen in the home you linked to is terrible and that roof will add lots of $$$ to the build cost

• T Rock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

"Do yourself a favor and before you even think of building, educate yourself a bit on good design so you don't wind up building a McMansion like the one you just linked to."

i didnt link to a home I wanted to purchase. But thanks I guess

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

And you don't want to buy that one because...?

All these house are identical to any house in a new subdivision in West County or South County. It's a gorgeous piece of property! I remember going to a fraternity party (Wash U) about 55 years ago, at a brother's parent's farm in Augusta. Just breathtaking! Hire an architect to design a home with what you want but that lets the site and views be the "star".

T Rock thanked Anglophilia
  • T Rock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Completely agree with you Anglophilia. Just wanted to get a rough idea of cost and time from everyone who's been through this before.

I'm a huge proponent of outsourcing to experts. No one googling my profession for a few months could do what I do. I'm not under the impression I can do what professionals in this space can do.

just want to know if it's realistic.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Very long and very expensive. Now contact a local architect to fine tune that answer. Any estimates you get from strangers that do not know your area will just be misleading.

• User
    6 years ago

It’s realistic if you have a good grounding of your priorities for the build in order to make the inevitable compromises that will be needed between competing priorities. If your budget is your #1 priority, and having something that fits the building acreage #2, then a simple traditionally shaped plan, designed by a pro to work with the land instead of against it, should be able to happen. You likely will not be able to fill it with top of the line finishes in every category, but the whole key to great design is not expense, but creativity. That is the importance of having a good architect involved from the beginning. And a good ID during planning can help the home be cohesive and achieve coordination of finish choices and room sizes that will all actually work.

Find the right Pro. And know your priorities.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Exactly what Mark and Sophie said too.

It is very hard for any of us to be able to give you an idea of cost even if we had built last year right next to you. Too many variables.

Using my house as an example. I could have built my house for at least $100,000 and probably even $200,000 less than it will cost us. Our house is just under 3000 square feet at 2870. How could we have built it for less?

We could have chosen to build a rectangular house instead of a U shaped house or even built an L shaped house instead.

We could have eliminated the pool and the travertine pavers or at least built a plain rectangular pool without the sun shelf, the planter box and the spa.

We could have eliminated the 32" eaves and gone with a more standard 18" eave.

We could have eliminated the rafter tails and gone with a more standard boxed eave.

We could have eliminated the rock trim around the whole house on the bottom and along the porch and its columns.

We could have chosen less expensive lighting fixtures for the exterior but being near a salt water body of water, it would have meant replacing them sooner.

We could have chosen a metal railing that comes standard with our builder instead of the one we chose.

We could have eliminated the 2 x 6 trim work around the exterior windows and doors.

We could have chosen a shingle roof instead of a metal roof (although that would mean less savings with heating/cooling since we're in Fl).

We could have eliminated the expensive tile in the friends entry and the fireplace and even chosen a less expensive tile for our master bath.

We could have eliminated the 16' slider to the outdoors from the living room and just put in a standard slider.

We could have eliminated almost all the trim work in the interior of the house. For example instead of wood returns with sills and aprons we could have just done drywall returns.

We could have used standard trim instead of the 1 x 6 trim we're using inside and the 1 x 8 baseboards.

We could have eliminated the wood floors and just gone with tile.

We could have eliminated the upgraded variable speed, 3 zone HVAC system and gone with a single speed 1 zone system.

We could have eliminated the Bosch appliances and Miele DW and especially the integrated fridge and gone with more basic appliances.

We could have eliminated an island completely or at least pick one that wasn't quarter sawn oak.

We could have chosen to pick a level 1 granite instead of the quartzite that was labeled Exotic at the stone yard.

We could have chosen to have the builder put in just bars in the closets instead of the closet systems we are putting in.

We could have eliminated many of the windows we have.

If we had done all that, we could have had a much less expensive house. It can be done but you first need to figure out YOUR priorities for your build as Sophie alluded to. Figure out your budget first. Be sure to figure in a large contingency and go from there. Then find a person of design talent.

• rockybird
    6 years ago

That property is gorgeous!! I would be tempted to snap that up if I was in the market in your area. I agree with everyone else - do a lot of research and hire an architect. If you are serious about the land, I would do due diligence to make sure it is buildable - water, sewer, soil testing if necessary, and maybe hire an architect before you buy it. I dont want to sound mean, but the home you linked really is a McMansion and not very attractive. Also, it looks like it would be very expensive to build. With an architect, you can build something very special. I’m guessing modern isnt your style, but it might be cheaper with less ornate detail. It generally has lots of glass, but with your views, you’ll want it.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Echoing some of the posters above, it'll be more expensive and take longer than you expect. However, the more research you do and the more you're willing to learn, the less things will cost and the more smoothly things will go throughout the process (which might help to streamline the timeline).

Bookmark the threads One Devoted Dame mentioned and read as many of those books as you can. Read through the archives in this forum.

Develop a good thick hide, because you can get some great advice here, even (especially) when you don't want to hear it.

A lot of building a house comes down to paying more upfront so you don't pay more later -- pay for a good architect at the start so you don't deal later, via change orders or a remodel sooner rather than later, with the consequences of a poor plan by a draftsperson or bought online. Pay more for extra insulation and quality building materials so you don't pay later in higher heating/cooling costs, etc.

I agree with everything Sophie said, especially this, "You likely will not be able to fill it with top of the line finishes in every category, but the whole key to great design is not expense, but creativity."

Good luck!

• T Rock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I really am grateful for everyone's input. Thank you all for taking the time to help guide me along. I've got thick skin, thanks to the Marines, so the criticism doesn't hurt my feelings. Although, I really have to insist that I didn't link to house I want to buy. I agree it's a McMansion. Just shared it as a neighboring house to the property and what it was being sold for.

ill absolutely choose to work with an architect once I'm better educated.

Thanks again, everyone.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    6 years ago

Construction costs can vary a lot depending on location. One of the best ways to get a handle on construction costs is to tour homes in your area that are similar in size/style/amenities/level of finish/quality/etc. to what you have in mind for your home and asking the builders what the cost would be to replicate the homes on a particular building site.

T Rock thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • T Rock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Girsh. That is extremely helpful.

• PRO
    GIRSH DEVELOPMENT INC
    6 years ago

Anytime

• notoriouscat
    6 years ago

Hi T Rock,

I don't comment so often, but your post struck me since I live very close to Augusta (New Melle). I have followed this forum for several years. My husband built our newest home here two years ago and has been a custom builder for the last 16 years in the area. He typically builds ICF homes, but has built many stick built homes as well. He is a wealth of knowledge and is very straightforward and honest with his clients about the home building process. I haven't a clue how to message privately, but if you would like I can give you my email address if you would like to speak to or meet with my husband. He would welcome you to visit our home or speak with his past clients as references if a custom build interests you.

• Joy Wills
    6 years ago

Something else that no one has brought up are to do due diligence on the neighborhood/HOA. A lot of neighborhoods around the Lou have building covenants that spell out how big the house must be, what exterior material/landscaping must be done to meet minimums for the area, and even if you are allowed to have out buildings, like a pool house or separate garage for lawn equipment/cars. It just depends on how the neighborhood was set up when it was originally developed, or if it is truly rural where there is no real 'neighborhood'.

I love that area of the state. I've bounced between STL and NEMO since 2011, but now that we are considering building (my parents and I are all 'retired' on disability), we don't have to limit ourselves to the same town I grew up in. I love the hills and the water views from so many of those small communities. Plus you are close enough to drive into Chesterfield for shopping, or to the major hospitals in the city. Not to mention the Amtrack ride from Washington to Downtown is about an hour, so plenty easy to catch Cards/Blues games or concerts/events downtown.

The other thing I will remind you of is traffic patterns/weather maintenance. Make sure the area that you finally purchase in is well maintained in the winter and has easy access to the highways you will need. Ice on semi-maintained and hilly roads are not fun in the winter.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.