hduns

Full overlay cabinet spacing for custom cabinetry?

Heather N
5 years ago

We recently installed a kitchen with full custom cabinetry. I am a little disappointed in the final result because the spacing between the doors/drawers is more than I expected and it also isn't consistent throughout the kitchen. For people who have been involved with custom cabinetry projects, what is typically done?

1) Do cabinetmakers typically confirm the spacing when customers place their orders? Our cabinetmaker never specified the spacing anywhere in their documentation and never discussed it with me. I wasn't aware that this was something that needed to be specified, since the kitchens I've seen with full overlay cabinetry all had pretty tight seams. I take some responsibility in not having specified it, but I also feel like the cabinetmaker should confirm these measurements if this isn't something standard across the industry.

2) Is the spacing typically the same for horizontal and vertical seams? In our kitchen, all of the horizontal seams (the ones running above/below drawers) are 1/16-1/8" high. The vertical seams (to the left and right side of drawers) are all 1/4" or slightly more. In all the images I've seen, the spacing is typically the same throughout. I don't get why they would decide to use two different measurements throughout the kitchen. It makes it much more noticeable than if they had just done 1/4" all around.

I understand that sometimes more spacing is needed for vertical seams because the cabinet doors need room to swing open, but most of our kitchen is made up of drawers. Additionally, I know that there are hinges made to open in very tight spaces because our bathroom cabinetry (not from the same cabinetmaker) has 1/16" seams and the doors open without an issue.

Any feedback about the right course of action at this point would be appreciated.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.