waverly6

before photos: need help deciding on flooring

waverly6
5 years ago
Please help me decide on flooring in the new kitchen part of great room. Please note, these are BEFORE photos.
I am redoing my kitchen in a coastal waterfront, beach area home. Exterior of house is white siding and grey roof. Decorating has been influenced by the blue water of the bay and greener water of the canal almost surrounding the house. I will be keeping the existing Santos Mahogany in the rest of the great room. Besides the wood floors I have a lot of different woods used as furniture and art throughout. The new kitchen will still feature white cabinetry. ( with possibly walnut accents) and glass. It is a total gut job and the kitchen will double in size,and will extend into the part of the room to the right of the existing kitchen in the photos (which now currently has a pool table. ) Angled island will be replaced by larger rectangular island. Dining area will be made larger. I am not replacing the wooden floor on the rest of the space. The floor in the current kitchen space is unattractive porcelain tile. Obviously my first and obvious choice would be to weave in more Santos mahogany throughout. The cons against this choice are that unfortunately it’s not a solid wood plank Secondly it shows every cat footprint, footprint, strand of hair, fur, droplet, smear, scratch, mark and smear. When I use a wet swiffer it just shows every swiffer smear when dry. In the kitchen area there are constant spills and drips. I have always had easy to clean ceramic or limestone tile in my kitchens and we are now talking about the possibility of putting tile into the new kitchen area. Yes, I know the Property Brothers would be horrified at not having consistent flooring throughout. (But they don’t live here with cats and a constant stream of messy, hungry houseguests .

All polite, helpful and non sarcastic comments and advice appreciated.

Comments (22)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.