jennifer_reynolds5131946

Help with room addition - furniture!!

Furniture just arrived..... and I hate the chairs. Love the couch. How can I pull this together. Do I keep the chairs?

A rug for sure but what goes best? Also need a coffee table and small side tables.

Going for a casual but traditional vibe.

Comments (51)

• hollybar
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Great space. Since you can return the chairs,I would. Now, what exactly don't YOU like about them? Make sure you know so that the next ones suit you perfectly. Rug-wise, do you have pets or small children?

edit to add: my rug choice might be a wool that looks like sisal. Which I 'd likely switch out for more color and pattern in the winter in the winter ;-) Chunkiness/pile of the "sisal" would depend on the new chairs.

• PRO
    DesignFix LLC
    4 years ago

Another option for this room would be to place the chairs in front of the window with a small table and lamp between, and have the sofa with its back to the rest of the room. That way you have the option of adding a sofa table behind it, which would make the room feel cozy and complete. You could put a plant and candles or books on it. I think the chairs might be feeling like they're "floating" too much and doing those things would give the space a sense of boundaries.

If you were to get new chairs, an open look that is more similar in scale to the sofa would be nice, like this one or this one. That would keep the open feel but take up less space.

• Related Discussions

Living room

Q

Comments (5)
    Contemporary, since the furniture is such. Colours which ever go with the present furniture, orange and white sofa and same shade of orange is there for the kitchen cabinets (open kitchen)
    ...See More

Need help creating an industrial feel that's still cozy

Q

Comments (4)
    I would get rid of that pendant. Here's one link to industrial pendant lights http://www.houzz.com/industrial-pendants Pick a light that you like and show it to your landlord. I bet she/he will say yes to your suggestion since pendant lights can easily be changed. In fact, if there's already a really secure junction box there already i bet they may even go with a ceiling fan light combo if that's what you really want
    ...See More

Please help me with 2 questions on this bathroom!

Q

Comments (13)
    I take it this isn't your bathroom. The glass could be handmade lead light which means bespoke by someone who makes lead light windows or it could be a transfer applied to a plain glass window. Check on ebay or online sticker/transfer stores for similar. I've never seen a piece like that in Australia so I'm thinking this might be an American antique. It's not normal to put an expensive antique piece in a bathroom and if you did it would be best in a bathroom that only has minimal use. And you would want to have a lot of good exhaust extraction to get rid of moisture. If you picked up one of those repro Indonesian mahogany pieces you would be spending a lot less money and might regard the piece as expendable. You can buy wood hardening sprays that resist moisture from the hardware store and spray the carcass (all the unstained pieces inside) with this stuff to resist moisture. You'd still need a good exhaust system however and keep the room well aired.
    ...See More

Help me furnish the living room

Q

Comments (3)
    Would definitely look great with some cushions in your living room, and i would recommend you to get not just normal cushion but decorative sofa cushion P/S: They are doing promotion of FREE shipping now.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

i like them. you just need accessories.

here are quite a few options. (you could also do a leopard print accent with pillows)

I tried to get all white furniture, but you may have to throw in some natural wood or leather just to ground things a bit. and of course some type of plant.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I think the space is too narrow to put the sofa across the space as you have it. Have you tried it along side. Then chairs across from sofa. How wide is the room?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I would want that arched window left open and would move the sofa to the left triple window. Chairs are not scaled to the sofa, as said, so try to do better. I think leggy chairs would help open up this small room. When you're looking at rugs you will be happier if the rug is at least 2 feet wider than the sofa and large enough for leggy chairs to sit entirely on. Here are a couple of helpful charts for end and coffee table sizing.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Hi. Beautiful room, Jennifer.

-The chairs are too large in relation to the sofa.

-The lamps are too small.

Option A

Remove the new chairs and place 2 smaller chairs with legs in their place. You can try this, by removing the chairs and placing similar chairs you might have there. Example, some dining chairs with arms.

Option B

Same as A, but place the sofa against one of the side windows, leaving the large eyebrow window open.

If there is a tv in the space, option A might be more conducive.

Question:

What is on the other side of the room and what is the purpose of this room?

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

A room with a view......a view that's blocked by a sofa.

I'd like to see the eye run through the room and out the window without stopping. The focal point is that glorious back window. Put the sofa on one side and the chairs on the opposite. A cocktail table serving the sofa won't obstruct the view. One table between the chairs. If the chairs are too large, replace them with slightly smaller, but as for the style I really like them. Either seating area can then look out the side windows (patios?).

• karrilouwho
    4 years ago

Curious about the size of this room. Can you share the dimensions? We are considering a similar addition and are debating room sizes for furniture placement.

• Jennifer Reynolds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Everyone! For the chairs we wanted swivel rockers. This room is right off the kitchen and certainly a nice space for entertaining. Having swivels allow people to turn towards the kitchen as well. The room is 11x14. No TV in this space. The lamps are not a fit and not for that room. Just what I had at the moment. Either are the side tables.... which are really bar stools if you look closely. :-). Lol.

These chairs are just too rounded in my opinion. I will try to move some stuff around and see if it works. I may be stuck with the chairs however.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Try moving the sofa to the side and chairs on other side (across from sofa) with a small drink table in between. If off the kitchen, you don't want to miss out on the view out the back windows. If you can return the chairs, then get airy chairs that don't swivel (you won't need to if the chairs are on the side). Some live plants in the back corners and a rug (animal print maybe) will tie it together.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

One feature I actually like about the chairs is the rounded backs, pulling in the arch in the window. If you can return the sofa, I would use 4 of those chairs.

You mentioned you don't like them. What do you not like about the chairs.?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO the chairs are the wrong scale for the sofa so yes I would retun those and get something smaller scaled The lamps are too small , it looks like a small space but the tiny tables are just too small too. Why not put the sofa on the longer wall either side and the 2 new smaller chairs across form it with a new rug larger tables and lamps anothe table between the 2 chairs with a lamp and no coffee table

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

Love @CDR Design, LLC idea to use four chairs instead of the sofa. Excellent seating for everyone and clears the line of sight.

• katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

I agree with those who have said smaller scaled chairs, the sofa looks more the size of a loveseat. I like the chairs but IMO they don't fit the scale of the sofa.

• Jennifer Reynolds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. The lamps and tables were not meant for the space and will be replaced. I love the couch and will keep it. I like the clean lines. The chairs feel too rounded to me. However I may not be able to return them so I will need to find another spot or use them in the space.

We tried moving the couch to the side but I don’t like it. I feel the room then doesn’t flow.

I moved a different chair in the room
    That has some similiar lines as the couch.

What color rug would anyone recommend? Will
    Go with natural wood tones.

Below are pictures of the space when we bought the house. I loved the look o was trying to replicate it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

The depth of your sofa is the fundamental issue, so you probably have to place it on that back wall. Smaller scale chairs that are more open will help with keeping open, light feeling.

Monterey Club Chair With Cushions, Frequency Sand With Canvas Walnut Welt · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Sheer Upholstered Fabric Armchair, Sand · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

The Armchair above is a good size and open feeling. Not a bad price either.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I like that last chair Flo posted. Or maybe something like this but in a white (unless you want something w/a little pattern)

side tables

plant in the corner

neutral rugs

this color combo would be very pretty w/your floors

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Before recommending any furher, need to know

-Will you be using the chairs and sofa you bought?

-What other colors do you have in your home?

• Jennifer Reynolds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We hope to use this space often. Certainly for entertaining and a place to relax, enjoy a drink, coffee etc.

My main colors in my home are Bungalow Beige (Sherwin Williams) on walls. My kitchen is white as pictured. My family room which is off this room has gray/beiges, black accents and a little natural wood color. My colors are a warm neutral.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

I would never buy armchairs with wooden arms, chairs are to be soft and comfy.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Gorgeous room. You can make the chairs work.

Renderings · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Jennifer- your home is beautiful and since you cannot return the chairs, perhaps with a rug and fewer other items in the room they can work. I do think a large leaf green plant would warm things up especially since you have limited wall space for hanging art. A pretty rug is a must and groveraxle nailed it with textural round coffee table.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I added plant to groveraxle’s mock up.

• Jennifer Reynolds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will probably learn the fate of the chairs tomorrow (returned or out of luck). I do know I need a rug and shopping for that now!

Groveraxel...... that mock-up is awesome and helps me visualize the space.

I’m going shopping!

• pmarch39
    4 years ago

Don't give up. It will all work out and be beautiful. Nice space.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

Daniel, I love your room.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    4 years ago

Jennifer, I would consider a sisal rug as a first step for the texture and then you can layer another rug in a design. Then you can add some pillows to your loveseat in colors pulled from the top rug. This is certainly a room with such a beautiful view and a texture on the floor will keep it comfortable, informal and traditional.

misc · More Info

Summer Living Room · More Info

The top layer can be anything you like.

• Jennifer Reynolds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anyone have an opinion on these rug choices?

• Jennifer Reynolds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How about this coffee table??

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Looks too big. I think a round would work better. Easier to get around from sofa.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

How about this? From Pottery Barn.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I like rug #3 - keep everything neutral and then you can play with a few pillows and accessories like a tray in a color for the ottoman/coffee table. Pottery Barn has some nice blue choices if you lean to blues. They have others as well. Perhaps a blush or textured off whites depending on what you want in the room.

Jennifer Reynolds thanked Flo Mangan
  • S N
    4 years ago

Following...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here is really pretty tray. Great buy too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Geo Lacquered tray from West Elm.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here is bargain wood tray from Pier 1. 18” round. This would bring touch of woods from adjoining rooms into Garden room.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I prefer the last rug (the moroccan one). It feels more casual and does not tie you into a color. I would go with a round coffee table.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

James and Daniel, a history of your comments shows that you're mostly interested in promoting the replica MCM furniture sold at Manhattan Home Design. You wouldn't happen to work there or own the store, or be friends or partners (personally or professionally) with someone who is, would you?

Also, there have been more than a dozen BBB complaints in the past three years about the store you've been recommending, which I would find problematic if I were looking to buy something there.

Also, your recent posts in this thread and others sound very similar to some by Gabriella Robbins, who is also promoting MCM replica furniture in general, and the store in particular. Are all of you friends or partners in this venture?

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Keep in mind you can add a swivel mechanism to almost any club chair.

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    4 years ago

Grover you always make things look better! How does it look moving the sofa left and chairs right? It seems like the sofa is the centerpiece instead of the view. First impression is "that's a nice sofa" vs "that's a pretty room" which is what jumps out in the OP's picture of the sofa to the left.

• Jennifer Reynolds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks MIGirl...I did not like the sofa turned. The flow to the room and kitchen just felt off and disjointed. So we moved it back. I uploaded a picture earlier.

• Jennifer Reynolds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Coming my together. Ordered different chairs in a light gray. Will be ordering a different ottoman in a gray brown distressed leather. (This one is temporary).

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Love your dog!

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

Looking so nice! Better with the darker chair. Nice job.

One thing...if you don’t mind, decorating with words on the wall or pillows etc is dated.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

The room is still beautiful. But you do need taller lamps.

• Jennifer Reynolds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh yes ... lamps are on the list.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Needle Table Lamp by George Kovacs at Lumens.com · More Info

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.