lvpugs

Where do I begin.

lvpugs
10 years ago
I need a lot of help here. I have these two open rooms as soon as you walk in the front door. We don't entertain much. Pretty much just family for the Thanksgiving. I have used my dining room 4 times in 4 years. The first room when you walk in where we have my husbands arcade cabinet. Which I would like to try and keep it in my space. It's designed to be a formal living room. Which is not our style at all. We already have a large family room that is connected to the kitchen and its nice and wide open which I love. I have added a dining room table which is a medium wood and a large picture thats it for the room. Then I stopped because I wanted to some how make sure I get these two open rooms to make sense. It feels like wasted space. I have had it empty for years. I have seen many houses on my block that are the same. They all had a formal living room. One thing I noticed I didn't like they did was they hung their curtains on the bottoms windows in both rooms and most of them had medium to dark drapes. Visually what that did was pull your eye down, and it took away from the openness. I wasn't sure if it was because the curtains weren't light. I don't want that. My focus for now is the 1st room. I was first thinking game room but then thought it would work and would look silly. We do play the arcade cabinet and I would like to try and keep it in the space. I decided to make this room a Sophisticated lounge. I am going to be making this DIY bar. The chairs you see I do have 6 of them i just didn't put them all out. My dining room table is a medium wood. Sorry for such a long story but I thought if you had a better insight to what I was trying to accomplish on a very low budget it would help. My questions are....
Window coverings? and do I later on have the dinning room ones match it.
Accent walls? Which ones? Colors dark light?
Please help me I'm stuck.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    10 years ago
    Sounds like a big projoect, have you considered hiring someone to help get it done correctly?
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Banister is a maple, dining room table is medium medium wood. Still working on Chandelier. It's was bright gold toning it down with antique gold rub n buff. Thinking later on to put a long bench under the picture. I'll be painting a book shelf blk then adding tacks to the sided and making it like a mini bar. I have all these ideas but then wonder do they work together.
  • Related Discussions

Where do you store medicine?

Q

Comments (7)
    I usually store it in the kitchen. I tend to imagine the germs the goes around the bathroom and I wouldn't want germs on any medications/first aid etc to be around that. Also, the bathroom has too much moisture to be keeping medications.
    ...See More

How to do I compliment or accentuate my art in the living area.

Q

Comments (10)
    you painted that? it's stunning! you can do a lot with just a rug. I have 2 toddlers 2.5 yrs old and 19 months old. and I used a low pile indoor/outdoor rug from Walmart. it was like 40$ for a 5x8. it was soooooo easy to clean even when it was blackberry stains! if you really don't want a to buy a rug there are a ton of DIY area rugs on pintrest where you take a cloth and tape it to a non slip pad, then toss it in the wash! brilliant right? you can definitely use 2 big pillows, the have a mustardy/yellow one at ikea (you can wash the covers and switch them too) and maybe a couple small accent pillows. but LOVING the painting...and I wish it was mine..K bye lol! :)
    ...See More

How do you store your shoes?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have a cupboard where I store all of my shoes, but the ones I wear most often are just out by the front door. Depending on how many people live in your house, maybe a shoe cupboard with enough shelves for everyone would work out best.
    ...See More

Where can I get black window frames

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Jim, you definitely should have a look at the Windows contractors in the Houzz Singapore professional directory, and contact them directly: https://www.houzz.com.sg/professionals/windows/c/singapore I'm pretty sure many of them will be able to do black frames, as it's a popular style recently.
    ...See More
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Banister
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm doing everything on my own on a very low budget. The painting I might only because I can't reach the top. I could rent equipment to paint it myself. It might look better not painted that's what I'm not sure about. Color or leave it alone?
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    It is a big space and a big project.

Windows: leave as is for now. the light blinds blend in well to the wall without chopping it.

Stair railing: Not a great match for existing architecture or your furniture. Perhaps one day you'll change it to something more modern. I would be tempted to have a carpenter cut those ball knobs of the posts and then paint the whole thing, e.g. mid gray.

Function: What do you want to do in this room? Talk, TV, read, board games, music? Hobbies, play instruments? The most important thing is that the space work right for the life you actually lead. If you need a place for a 5 piece string band to set up, then plan for that! If you often have 20 people over for drinks and appetizers, then you needs lots of seating and small tables, all of which can be moved around when needed. If you adore jigsaw puzzles and like to always have one going, find a nice table for that and provide great lighting. If you often eat in the living room, make sure upholstery is Scotch-guard treated or washable slip covers, and table tops are glass or other impervious surface, not finely polished wood.

Lighting: Get a designer, have high-efficiency lights (basically Solatubes and LEDs) installed so you do not need a million floor and table lamps. With the high ceiling, this is even more urgent for you than for others.

Conversation: Group furniture so everyone is facing and close enough to talk. You have done this already - great!

Furniture: What about a couch and/or sectional to stretch out on?

Color: You have the perfect neutrals - black and white - so you can choose literally ANY color(s) you want. Use the 60 - 30 - 10 rule, e.g. 60% base (white), 30% coordinating (black), 10% accent (e.g. teal and butterscotch).

Etc. Actually I could write a book on this. And people have.
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    I would leave the walls white - it's one of the best choices for a very open, irregular area like this.

That dining area light is scaled for an 8' ceiling. It looks kinda whacked to have it dangling on the mile-long cable. I'd look into a better scaled chandelier with more of a vertical structure, or just recessed lighting and perhaps a few accent wall sconces.
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Soberg, Thank you so much!!! This is so great. you have given me so many ideas open my eyes. Its funny to me because I never even realized all the banister balls. I love that Idea. Of chopping them and painting them gray. I never could figure out what was wrong with the chandler. Its hanging a mile away. I realize now what your saying. The banister does not go with the modern feel. For now I'm going to use gold accent in the dining room because of the picture and the lounge use a soft silver. I'm not going to change the lighting right now but will eventually. Should I have used the silver rub n buff instead of the antique gold ? Thank you again. I so appreciate all your advise. I really want this room for when I have my friend come over instead of sitting at the kitchen table with a glass of wine we can sit here.
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sobert, can you give me a suggestion on the Chandelier? Gold or silver? I was thinking of using a cord hider to blend more. How do you make a long hanging cord blend into a room?
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you think of adding this bench to under the large picture with a few pillows. The bench is 5ft long.
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    The chandelier is what it is, I don't know any way to hide the fact that there is a long cord. Perhaps if there were more going on, on the walls, the cord would not draw the eye so much. Your chandelier is intended to fit into a low ceilinged-room and IMO it will never look great in that high-ceilinged spot. Other chandeliers have been designed to go in a spot such as you have and they would fit in much more naturally, with a lot of vertical interest....more chandelier, less cord. I'll see if I can find a picture.

If you're keeping the chandelier, I would try to modernize it, e.g. remove shades, and also the "candlesticks" if possible, and find bulbs that are frosted or otherwise don't require shades. Either gold or silver is fine....I would tend towards silver but either is fine. Most rooms benefit from having the homeowner choose one color - gold or silver - and then use it relentlessly in all metal pieces, such as lighting, frames, knobs, hardware, etc.

When builders are building, and when the Home Depot buyers go buying, they all still tend to reach for the nouveau Colonial details like the railing and chandelier. It drags down a room to have the faux Colonial detailing used as if it were the modern standard. Try to train your eye to see the difference between authentic modern and just whatever is the lowest common denominator in the building trades. A modern space can never truly shine unless it has modern details. Form should follow function.

Re the stairs, getting rid of "balls" and painting seems like a win, but as I look more closely, the posts themselves have inappropriate detailing. You could ask your carpenter for his quick fix to give you a straight post with no detailing.

Bench is very pretty. I'd make sure to put it in a spot where it will really get used! Is anyone going to sit on the bench under the picture? If you mean behind the dining table, I wouldn't bother as no one will sit there. Find a place you need seating and put it there. Foyer, near window, whatever...

Colorwise, you have white, black, and now luggage with the bench. Better start getting an actual palette defined to guide future acquisitions. Neutral basics are great, and highly advised, but you also have a huge space that can and should absorb a lot of color to be truly charming and warm.
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Soberg, Thank you so much. I see things a little clearer now. I understand so much better now. I never realized the reason it didn't work until now. I'm very great full for all your valuable input : )
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I need some ideas for a Chandelier.
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    Simple ones are the most expensive. Hope something is to your liking
    lvpugs thanked sellaginella
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the second one. Where is that one from?
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Chandls. galore here. Maybe you will find something more to your liking with the vast choice you get there.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

LAMPS PLUS Store Locator: Retail Lighting Stores and Lamp Store ...
    www.lampsplus.com/stores/Find a Lamps Plus retail store near you - Lighting stores and Lamps Plus Outlet Storelocations. We're The Nation's Largest Specialty Lighting Retailer!
    __________________________________________________________________________________
  • lvpugs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just wanted to verify. The chandelier the 3rd pic is white. Will that look ok white?
  • PRO
    Delmarva Blinds & Shutters
    10 years ago
    Rule of thumb most people that do whites they match up with the color of the base board and trim not the wall color.
  • PRO
    Solatube International, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Solatube Daylighting Systems are a great option to bring in tons of natural light into your room!
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Replace the vertical blinds with simple drapes. Curtains will soften the hard lines of your room.
    I like the way these are made and their lightness.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Your picture is hung too high over something too small. The middle of a painting should be 60 inches from the floor is there's nothing beneath it. If hanging over sofa or table the pic bottom is 5 or 6 inches above the furniture. The picture is almost never larger than what it hangs over. So lower the picture (hey, it's free and easy) and move the little table somewhere else. Your pic would look better with nothing under it.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Too bad about the niche way up there and not good for anything. What are builders thinking?

These are plain but nice, no? They might look silly with a 20' chain but no more so than any other.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    If you don't foresee really using this room then don't spend too much on it. Put your money where you'll enjoy it like in your family room or kitchen. Didn't you say lots of neighbors have the same empty rooms?
  • Kels
    10 years ago
    we both have the same problem! But I love your colors more than mine.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.