melissa_gibson

Need help with Master bedroom finishing touches

Melissa Gibson
10 years ago
I can't decide what to put on the walls. The window on the right throws off the symmetry of the room, so I'm having trouble figuring out what and where to place items. The wall on the left is bare and large as well. Also, do I need larger lamps? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My taste is traditional/classic with modern coastal touches.

Comments (19)

• printesa
    10 years ago
    Would it be possible to move the bed with the headboard on the left wall? I don't know where the door is so I can't tell if you can move it or not. As for the lamps, they need to be bigger (at least as tall as the headboard)
  • PRO
    FRED HOFFMAN ARCHITECTURE
    10 years ago
    Please take more pictures. It is very difficult without more interior views.
  • Melissa Gibson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately this is the only way the furniture can be arranged in the room since our furniture is so large (purchased it before buying this house). The first picture is the wall on the left(as seen from doorway) the second is the wall to the right (doorway wall, it is also recessed where the dresser sits). The third pic is of art work I already have that could possible work. Just not sure where to put it. The wall to the left of doorway is all closet.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I not giving up yet on rearranging the furniture! Can you post a photo while standing next to the bed looking at the opposite wall? Also draw out a sketch of the room with dimensions and also give dimensions of the furniture.

Can try putting your bed coming out from the corner at 45 degrees. That can help sometimes to free up wall space. Then put the lower dresser next to bed as one of the bedside tables.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Do the whole wall in floor to ceiling with drapes pick a shiny silky fabric that is 2 shades darker than walls. Solid. Then you can center bed on wall more. Yes taller lamps. Make base a accent color and light gray shades. Is that your wall color gray? Silver will also work for accent color, in drapes.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Here are some examples:
    Golden Scroll · More Info

Anita Diaz · More Info

Interior Design Photography 2 · More Info
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    On other long wall. Add 2 tall 5 -6 ft and wide 24" mirrors in dark thick frames hang low with 2" between them.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Why is dresser sitting in front of bed? It should be turned around and placed against wall. Put doors back on closet.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    You have too much furn for small rm. what is sitting in front of strange set up with dresser? A TV? If a TV stand remove put dresser in its place and put TV on top.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    pcmom. Though I like yr ideas, I think rm is to small to angle a bed. Need a very big room to pull off that look.
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    If you have an entry hall, your 9 drawer dresser could be used as an entry hall piece -- or maybe a tv stand in your den. Of coarse you would have to travel to get your clothing, but I think you have too much furniture in such a little room. My parents currently are doing this after downsizing into a smaller place. They are using their dresser as a tv stand. It works well and no one knows their clothes are in the drawers!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Trans you might be right there, but I always say "moving furniture is free"! I do think that it might work if that tall dresser could be moved to a different wall.

Poster, do you have a couple of friends and some furniture sliders?
  • Melissa Gibson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the comments. We have rearranged every way possible already. With the bed on the long wall there was only about 6 inches between end of the bed and the tall dresser. I know that the furniture is to big but I'm not willing to part with it as it's only a few years old and I spent WAY to much on it. Unfortunately we need all the storage space possible and I've already tried to find other areas in the house for it but we just don't have the space (foyer to small and it looked stupid in the living room). Sucks, I know! We are a military family that has to move often, so I'm just trying to make the space look as good as possible with the current layout/furniture. I wish I could afford to buy new furniture for every new house we have to move to but thats just not possible. The closet doors are still being painted and will be hung back up soon. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I really appreciate them!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    OK, nothing will move. I understand. So, back to what you asked to begin with.

I would your two prints to the long wall next to the bed. I think if you replace the small bedside lamps, move both off. Replace the one next to the wall, with a hanging light that would help with the asymmetry, the other could be put on the tall dresser or elsewhere in your home.

Second photo shows transinterior's idea of a full wall of drapery.
    My Houzz: Calm, Cool and Collected in Downtown Toronto · More Info

Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles Christmas Showhouse · More Info
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    When you move a lot, simple is good.
    [houzz=
    Master Bedroom · More Info
    ]
  • Marly
    10 years ago
    Get an oversize drapery rod and drapery rings, and hang a tapestry.
  • Melissa Gibson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Decided to go a slightly different route and bought white linen curtains and new bedding. Still searching for an accent pillow and new lamps. Any recommendations on either?
  • PRO
    Sablotny Floors
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think you should hang your existing chandelier/light to the left of your bed to help with the symmetry. I also agree that you should get bigger/taller lamps to put on each side. I really love mercury glass. It's clean and pretty. As for the accent pillow, I think a silver or metallic one would be really pretty with the grays in your new bedding. It would also look great with mercury glass lamps. I think you should hang big (maybe rectangular or two big square) mirrors on the left wall where it is bare. It could act as a faux window and also help balance out the room. Just a few suggestions :)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.