mhf310

8' of empty wall space

mhf310
10 years ago
Hi Everyone!
Any idea on how I can utilize this big, empty, awkward space to the left of the bookcase or is it fine as is?
I'm open to rearranging furniture, adding wall decor/furniture, etc. Perhaps a bench? I'm stuck and have been feeling rather blah about my space lately so all suggestions about any areas of the home are welcome!
Thanks in advance!
p.s. I usually have a plant in the pot on the floor by the tv and am in need of a new one. Any recommendations for places to buy plants real or faux?

Comments (82)

• PRO
    Project Guru
    10 years ago
    littlemissk gave you great advice, I particularly like the concept of bringing everything toward the fireplace to warm up the feel of the space. a long console such as this one http://www.worldmarket.com/product/greyson-sideboard.do?camp=ppc%3AGooglePLA%3Anone%3A40004148659adwords_groupingBuffets&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CPGahuD7y7oCFYRDMgodwjwAtA would work to house electronics, etc and could become a home for the tv, allowing for art above the fireplace. With a little tlc, the bookcase, turned on its side, with new shelving, could become the console behind the sectional, and a home for lamps, a few books and accessories. Have fun,
    mhf310 thanked Project Guru
  • mhf310
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree @littlemissk gave wonderful advice (as well as many others)!
    I love your idea @Project Guru to flip the bookcase on its side to use as the console behind the sofa.
  • Related Discussions

• littlemissk
    10 years ago
    Hi mhf310 ... My background is in landscape architecture (a love of horticulture since I was a little girl) and a minor in interior design so I understand the desire for living with plants.

You have some lovely, large windows that give you good light. I'd wait on the plant(s) until you feel satisfied with your room arrangement. I think it will then be clear on where and what type plant(s) make the most sense. Real ones closest to the natural light and then perhaps a few nice quality silk ones for those darker areas away from the windows.

I thought I saw a small computer area tucked back in that corner opposite your balcony door? Seems masked by the sectional so perhaps you could pull out whatever desk the computer is sitting on a bit from that little alcove wall/window and tuck a Kentia (Howea Forsteriana) or Rhapis exelsa palm there. Get one large enough you can see it from the rest of your room but that doesn't overpower your computer area. The Kentia gets taller and the base is skinny enough that you should still have good room in the corner. They do become prone to spider mite so if you go with something like this just keep a check on them and wash off the fronts regularly with biodegradable soap and warm water.

I like Project Guru's suggestion of turning the bookcase on it's side to use behind the sectional. That is a great idea to try!!
    mhf310 thanked littlemissk
  • jingstad
    10 years ago
    I would put the side chair (or a nice chaise lounge) on the 8 foot wall beside the fireplace. Move the book case to the little alcove by the windows. Place a small side table with a lamp or an interesting floor lamp next to the lounge with a coordinating art piece on the wall. It would make the conversation area more of a conversation area than all the seating facing the fireplace. It would also make a cozy reading spot next to the fire. You could place a lower bookshelf between the lounge and the fireplace instead of a table.
  • nmcs
    10 years ago
    I agree with everyone that suggested moving the tv. I would get a long piece that would fill in all of the space that could work as a bookshelf and as a media center. The bookcase as is detracts from the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Precise Home Builders
    10 years ago
    You can place a nice bench in front of the area with a little nook on the wall :-)
  • PRO
    Boards and Beams
    10 years ago
    Boards & Beams has many products for your wall here are just a few ideas check out our web site
  • Atsuko Joseph
    10 years ago
    I would swap the positioning of the lounge and dining table and put either sideboard/entertainment unit along that big vacant wall with TV on top. Maybe a tall floor lamp on a side will look great. Over the fire place, it can be decorated with a paint or something.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would get a large entertainment center for that wall . Remove the TV from above the fireplace and put TV in the wall unit. Hang a large picture above the fireplace instead. Arrange the furniture so the sofa is facing both the TV unit and fireplace.
  • mhf310
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, I started playing around with different pieces thanks to the insightful posts I received.
    Unfortunately, I can't do too much until my husband gets home to help me with the heavy lifting (couch, rug, bookcase behind couch, etc) hence the trunk in the middle of the room.
    Should I shift the tv one way or another? I'm afraid if I put the bookcase behind the couch I'll end up with a big empty space again.
    Also, I know that my setup above the fireplace is not ideal and I need a longer/different media console but I wanted to give an idea of where I'm heading.
  • morish
    10 years ago
    1stly I can never understand putting a tv above a beautiful fireplace. it is 100% the focal point of a room....needs a beautiful mirror or picture & this style is ideal for wall lights on the columns. The bookcase need moving right away from this wall & i agree with the chair to one side of the fireplace...
  • morish
    10 years ago
    mantel piece looks MUCH nicer. Now for some wall lights. Use the trunk for your'coffee' table & put a nice tray on there with some beautiful things on it...
  • littlemissk
    10 years ago
    If you take that bookcase and put it on its side behind the sectional, slide the table the TV is on to where the bookcase is at now under that register, then take the slipper chair and place it beside the fireplace at an angle to fill in that space. This might give you a feel for how large a console the room can handle without looking too cluttered. That will free up where the slipper chair is currently located so that you have a clearance into your dining area. It should open the space but not sure given the width of the room.
  • littlemissk
    10 years ago
    If this works and provides a better line to your dining table you should think about an area rug for under your dining table to "define" that room. http://www.potterybarn.com/design-studio/decorate/howtomrug/
  • PRO
    Heritage Ceilings
    10 years ago
    Make a pressed metal feature wall. The large sheets of decorative aluminium will give the wall some texture.
  • jingstad
    10 years ago
    Move the dining room server to the wall under the vent. Hang the tv on that wall above the server along with complimentary artwork (as in the post above). Put the accent chair between the server and the fireplace with the little table and a floor lamp. Put a nice floor plant to the right of the fireplace. Move the dining table a little farther out into the room and put the bookcase on the short wall by the dining table. With the server on the fireplace wall, you delineate the dining and living areas. This will help to balance the height of the fireplace as right now you have all your tall items on that one wall. A nice bench under the windows, similar to a window seat, would add more seating as well as visual interest.
  • houseatthelake
    10 years ago
    Your wall is calling out for some built in cabinets. Cabinets with doors below and open shelving above on each side of your flat screen T.V. , or even just a row of cabinets with doors with your T.V. wall mounted above. An armoire or even a large dresser with mirror over. Depending on your needs. Attaching some photos.
  • houseatthelake
    10 years ago
    Ha ha LOL Got your attention.
  • Ruth Moore
    10 years ago
    for the picture at the top of the page, I would put the bookshelf in the center of that space with a draping plant on top of it and use tall plants on either side and there ya go.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Glad to see the TV off the mantel, but the furniture is still mostly lined up on the opposite wall. Unfortunately, you've opted for a chaise sofa rather than a sectional with two equal wings. That always limits what you can do when arranging. Floating the furniture, much like in the floor plan you posted, will actually make the space appear visually larger. If possible, consider the TV/credenza on the wall opposite the FP, sofa floating, a second chair to pair with the one you have for a grouping opposite the sofa. Dining floating right behind it and you can use your little sideboard behind the sofa to serve as sofa table and sideboard. If you don't have furniture sliders, cut the bottoms of of plastic milk and juice jugs to try some new arrangements.
    mhf310 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • joher
    10 years ago
    we have the same problem. I like all the answers that suggest using the wall to showcase a new texture (and maybe the theme could continue on the other side of the fireplace). That way the textured wall might look as though it was there first. We used airstone and drop lights with milk glass up one wall as an accent because it is the first thing you see when you walk into the living room. When you walk out, we thought we would continue the same theme on our "dead space wall). We like architectural features and texture. Not much for just redecorating with pics. ( I like this feature in Houzz. thank you.)
    mhf310 thanked joher
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Slight rethink on my comments earlier, you could place a tall container plant (real!) where you now have the bookcase. I really think the bookcase has to find another home. Look for a TV console that has a bookshelf in it so that you can place some of your books and personal items there. (I have several bits and pieces I like to be able to look at every day in my living room.) Do try to pick up the dark blue in the cushion on the sectional elsewhere -- perhaps in the container for the plant? Also in art for the mantlepiece, or in a blue item there; blue glass would be beautiful.
    mhf310 thanked Rina
  • mhf310
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So, we're chugging along but still have a number of changes to make: lower/remove mirror, move bookcase, move chair, pull couch/rug/coffee table out and find a plant as @rina and @littlemissk suggested. When purchasing a plant should I look at local nurseries or a big box store?
    The things we moved around last night made a BIG difference (at least to us) and we're pleased with the changes- so, thank you for all the feedback!

Also, I'm looking into purchasing a new rug for under the couch (examples attached) to add some color - any input would be greatly appreciated!
  • PRO
    M&M Design Studio
    10 years ago
    I'd be more of a fan of relocating the TV to this wall. Bring in a black entertainment unit to frame it and give it more of a built-in. This allows that nice niche shelf above your fire place to have a nice piece of artwork to display (what the lighting appears to be meant for). You can shift the bookcase down under the return grille if you've got room. If possible, I'd flip the L to of your couch to the opposite side of the couch to provide separation from the dining area as well. For plants, I'd do Areca Palms in the living room, they are micro scrubbing and will give you some fresh air. If you're looking to mix it up, you can do a money tree as well.
    mhf310 thanked M&M Design Studio
  • littlemissk
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi mhf --- on your area rugs. Purchase whatever floats your boat, makes you feel good and that harmonizes with what you have. Use it/them as inspirations for decorative pieces, ie, pillows, artwork, vases, etc. Check with your dealer on their return policy. I have all wood flooring and will usually purchase a rug and take it home to see if it works with placement and color (they change color given the lighting in your home and will also look different at various times of the day) ... usually for a week or so. If it doesn't work, I take it back and either exchange it for something else that might work better or get a refund. Never had a problem doing this, but again, check on return policies. Area rugs can make or break a room so it's important you get one, or more, you're happy with.
  • PRO
    Robert
    10 years ago
    I too would suggest that you move the bookcase to another corner and put a wooden carved desk in the space.before doing that you could highlight the wall and then match the desk with the rest of the furniture of the room.this has to fit in your budget.Else you could just buy a bigger bookcase,if you have a good collection of books to put them on display in the bookcase.
    mhf310 thanked Robert
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    I love the first rug you posted. As Littlemissk says, the rug must float your boat but that one definitely floats mine.
    mhf310 thanked Rina
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Turn bookcase on its side and center. Add a big art 40x40 over it. Just a few items in case. Add pots in color to top. Hang art very low 10" above top of case. Art should be bold. Ck TJMax.
    mhf310 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    TJ Max for faux plants good to fill bare corners in rooms get tall and big put in nice ceramic pots in color.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    On mantel remove all. None needed. On side with gray pot put a very tall and narrow plant faux get a new pot in ceramic in a accent color. Pick one. And use around room.
  • PRO
    kelly mcguill home
    10 years ago
    If you just wanted to accessorize the wall you could add some cool long bookcases, a console table, or even a grid wall of art!
    mhf310 thanked kelly mcguill home
  • mhf310
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks @littlemissk and @rina for advice on the rug. I love the first one too but I was wondering if it would look ok with the light wood floors... but now that I searched on Houzz it looks like it would.
    Craftsman Entry by Dublin Architects & Designers RTA Studio
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    10 years ago
    I think you can move the table and chairs by the window, mover the sofa where the table is and make an entertainment center at the empty wall with the TV on the center
    mhf310 thanked Comwest Construction
  • littlemissk
    10 years ago
    It looks like either rug has shades of gold, and your flooring appears to be a golden oak or a maple. You'd want a rug that has a darker field than your flooring in order to ground the area where the rug is at and help to define each space, which the red field would accomplish. Either one you show would work. Think about the different colors in each rug. The more color choices you have (other than the field), the more flexibility you'll have to locate decorative items that will blend with your decor -- especially if you like to periodically change things out (winter/spring/summer/fall) to create "cozy" or "breezy". Colors change depending on the venue (wall color, natural light, etc.), so make sure you understand the return policies and don't be afraid to take things back if you don't like them and/or if they just don't work. Choosing the right items for your decor is a process.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    OK, let's make this easier. Get the bookcase out of your room. Trying to decorate around it is not going to give good results. Put it in a spare bedroom or study. It's throwing your whole room and thought process off--forget about it!
    mhf310 thanked leelee
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Get a lounge chair with an ottoman and a floor lamp and small table to put on that wall and angle the foot of the chair in toward the FP. That should take up about 6 to 8 feet.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Moving the large furniture to the middle will make all the difference. If you remove the bookcase from the equation, then when you finish arranging you may find there is a good spot for it. I still think two floating arrangements with the TV opposite the FP on or above a low credenza, will result in an amazing open room. Right now, the sectional is facing the glass door and so is not private. Pulling it to the center to face windows will be optimal. Adding a large rug you love and a pair of chairs will do wonders. If you can't match the current chair, try it in the bedroom, and get a matched pair for the living room. If TV can't be moved to the other wall use a long credenza under it on the left wall, and float the sectional facing TV/FP, but out of view of the glass door.
    mhf310 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • chrazzy88
    10 years ago
    A nice pop of red in the rug would be refreshing. Maybe position a soji screen between the chair and dining table to define the areas. A tree beside the fireplace would help break up the space...maybe with some mini lights.
    mhf310 thanked chrazzy88
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 years ago
    Try a full wall of built-in bookcases.
  • Karen Vanelli
    10 years ago
    Looking good....I love that you are getting a colorful rug for the room! I love plants, so bringing one or two in the room will make it look so much cozier! Have fun and you are going to have a lovely room that you will enjoy!
    mhf310 thanked Karen Vanelli
  • mhf310
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions everyone.
    I went ahead and purchased the red rug (and am looking forward to it).
    Now, I'm onto a media console. I have two in the running pictured below. For reference the current table the TV is on is 48" long
    The first option would be 52" long (so not much difference)
    And the second option would be 62" long.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    I like the first because it's a better wire hider. But they both look really good. So glad you're getting that scrumptious rug.
  • littlemissk
    10 years ago
    Nice choice. As Rina pointed out, the enclosed console would hide your wires, the other "not so much". Just make sure that if you've boxes for cable, etc. and that need to be placed near-by the TV you've got access into the back of the cabinet so you don't have allot of unsightly wires going all over the place. Some cabinets come with removable backs, backs that slide or that have access channels in them.
  • wallysgirll
    10 years ago
    Your rug and console choices will look great! Definitely would "float" sectional in some way; everything against walls is like a rr car :) Somehow the float does make the room seem larger and will delineate spaces. Definitely buy or make some furniture moving "casters." I am always rearranging and have no one to help. Once I bought the round things at WalMart/Home Depot--voila!! I'm a moving fool!! :)
    mhf310 thanked wallysgirll
  • PRO
    Suzanne Powers
    10 years ago
    Mhf310, I like your rug choices the important thing to remember is the rug is medium to dark in color value. The general rule is to spread the main and accent colors throughout the room.

I would add red accents like some of the pillows in addition to the white or all red and/or a lamp with a red base. I would keep the art generally light in value (stand five feet away from an object and squint your eyes so that the light to dark value can be seen) since the rug is going to add darker colors in addition to the dark wood furniture.

Art is an opportunity for some red accent color in the room also. I have chosen several prints that would coordinate from my art gallery. Should you want to add color over the sectional the first red and white pattern triptych would be stunning.

All of the prints come in many sizes and an inexhaustible choice of mats and frames, I would recommend the canvas wrap or acrylic with no frame.
  • thadcopeland
    10 years ago
    You can do anything but how much do you want to spend?

I would say axe the surround around the fire place and make one large builtin from one side onto the other. This will tie in the crazy big wall, tv, and fireplace and make it not so choppy looking. You can make your tv lower which is better and you still have a fire place over to the right
  • nmaclaren
    10 years ago
    Wall Decals will always fill up the space https://www.etsy.com/shop/StickersForWall
  • PRO
    R. Rodgers Restoration and Remodeling
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    I am a builder, not a designer, but i would like to suggest another inexpensive option. a paneled wainscoting on the wall to the left of the fireplace would look great and would add depth and character to anything placed in front of it. something as simple as a potted plant or bookcase and tv with stand as seen in your photo.
    Of course you'd want to build it on the other side of the fireplace. I would make it taller than typical wainscot. Possibly 5 feet tall with a top cap that would match the crown moulding on your fireplace.
    Thank you
  • mhf310
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Short update!
    New rug is finally in and I'm very thankful for the color in the room. We still have a ways to go. Right now I'm waiting for a few different pieces of art to arrive.
    I've also been doing some serious decluttering/purging so don't mind all the bags around the room.
    Thanks for all the input!
  • ktdid56
    10 years ago
    Love the rug and color. Suggestion: Move the rug so there is less under the furniture. It looks like it is smothered under all that weight. It is beautiful. Show it. I like that you flipped the dining set and moved the sectional down the wall to across the fireplace and wall. Great start.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.