sneetz

putting on a new exterior but have no idea what to do

sneetz
10 years ago
We bought a house that needs lots of updating. The next project is to redo the exterior. As you can see, there is a mix of rock and siding. We had to replace the roof already and we put on a black tiled roof (the images still have the old shake shingles).
Any suggestions?

Comments (104)

• sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Garden Oaks. Now that you see the close up shots, you still think the stone is worth saving? Or how much would you keep? Thanks so much for your contribution. And no need to say 'sorry' because it really is quite ugly. The real question is to determine if it is worth saving. If there is a hope of making it attractive to the eye. I suppose we could try the re-pointing on a portion to see what it looks like.
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    anitaherway ... from a distance, I think it can work beautifully. Up close, something has to be done or you'll cringe every time you put your key in the lock. However, I see a difference in the pointing of stonework among some of your photos--is there more than one style of pointing used or is that a trick of the light?

Given the cost of addressing stone, I would try some options before ripping it off. If it works, you will have saved a bundle and transformed an ugly duckling into a swan. That always feels good. (Took the ugliest house on our block and turned it into our residential office/display suite...must upload more project photos one day ;-)

Back to re-pointing. There are a few approaches. Take a look at the Jan. 11, 1:36 pm photos you uploaded. The shadow lines are created because the stone is proud of the mortar--an interesting effect. Other photos show the stone and mortar at the same level. The lack of dimension, along with the width of the mortar, is a big part of the problem. The light colour doesn't help, but a too dark mortar will present the same problem.

Recommendations: experiment, as you suggest, in a less visible spot with carving out mortar to get some dimension and to find the right colour (bearing in mind, the colour effect will differ against different pieces of stone. A hue that is close to the stone colour will reduce the effect of those gaps, and attention to shaping the pointing may also help

The lines of the house have a modern, mid-century, feel. So this next idea may seem out of line with common perception of the look...and I'd want to think this through if I were your guy on this project...but have you considered how you might integrate the house into more fully developed landscape and use natural elements (moss, vines, espaliered plantings, etc. to transform the look? Do you like the look of stone that has been in place for centuries? If so, moss and lichen have their place and can be encouraged. Unlike other biological treatments (e.g. vines that send roots into the mortar) moss and lichen are manageable and do not themselves present a problem on organic materials such as stone.

This is a very interesting project!
    sneetz thanked John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
  • Related Discussions

Need ideas of design for bedroom and workspace.

Q

Comments (4)
    First you need to purge and clean up. Living in a bit of chaos makes it hard to define spaces. I strongly suggest you find ways to store clothes etc . There are under the bed storage units and cabinets you can buy to make some order. First paint that green wall either the blue or the white (or is it a light blue). Or paint the whole room one lighter color ( a beige, a gray, a pale blue) . The lighter the color , the bigger the space will look. I've 'bought' you a large closet ( chifferobe or armoire) to put your clothes in. It would be about 6 feet tall and 3 -5 feet wide. I put it across from your bed. I moved your desk ( is there actually a desk under your stuff in the room???) to your window , facing out the window. If you need privacy, some blinds or a pair of curtains ( hung high over the window) would be nice. I placed your white cabinet ( I can see on the left) next to your bed to double as a nightstand and for storage. I would suggest trying to match a set of sheets ( preferably white) and a nice bedspread ( comforter). I can't see a TV in your room, but if you do have one and are allowed to wall mount it, do so. You could likely place it on the wall to the left of the large closet. Here is my mock up and some pictures of bedspreads etc: OR Curtain idea: Clothes closet ( armoire) And a desk if you don't have one. All these are available at Wayfair.com. OR you can buy as needed.
    ...See More

Where/what plants to get to decorate bedroom?

Q

Comments (7)
    Money plants are super easy to maintain! I've had mine for the past 7 months since moving in to our new flat and it is growing wildly around its 1.5m pole with minimal care. Cacti don't need much attention as well and make for nice decorative plants especially in toilets where you might not get much sunlight. The air plant in your second picture was actually being sold at my neighbourhood pasar malam and I was very close to getting it (apparently it only needs occasional spraying of water) but it wasn't quite my style and I went for a different plant that I'm still trying to figure out the name of. :)
    ...See More

Need Layout Ideas for HDB

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Charlie, Hope these two suggestions work. The first one is similar to your initial idea, I just changed the orientation of your sofa and TV console. I suggest a modular sofa where you could make it L-shaped or two separate love seats whenever you like. Where you put your island looks like a good place; least amount of reno/hacking! PS I used Sketch's sticker functions to put in the furniture.
    ...See More

Ideas for new apartment please!

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi joyce_jj_chen, lovely home! Sharing my 2 cents: I think you've got a great living/dining space with lots of potential. The sofas can be moved closer to the TV to make space for dining. While not exactly a matching for your floor plan, this is a possible inspiration: Given the ample amount of reflective materials in your space (floors, mirrors), I'd go for some soft or matte textured furnishings or to balance things out and give the entire space coziness and warmth. Possible inspirations: Here it's the curtains that diffuse light that comes into the apartment, matte dark walls absorb and soften light, while greenery lifts the entire space. The example you've suggested is lovely, all the more so because of a contrast between matte (cabinetry, kitchen island) and shiny (fixtures, kitchen island countertop) and of course lovely warm lighting overhead. (consider using warm lighting instead of cool white?) For dramatic effect, or simply to add more warmth, a large rug is a good idea too: Hope this helps, I'm sure other will have great ideas too.
    ...See More
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    Just an observation that I come across quite often:
    That is a LOT of stone that you apparently hate...why did you buy this place knowing you hate the outside?

I really am curious, because I see this all the time here.
    sneetz thanked bungalowmo
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Replace the white siding for cedar and the brown siding for stucco, add some wood/charcoal trim around windows and doors and you'll have a charming lakehouse full of character.
    sneetz thanked rinked
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Garden Oaks: I think it's just the photos/light not so much a difference in the pointing. As well, I don't think the mortar and stone levels are consistent. I think it may be different at any given point...but certainly there are places where the stone and mortar are level and other places where they are not. Yes, interesting!
    As far as using natural elements. Our daughter suggested ivy (but I guess you would have the root problem). It is Utah so the climate is very dry. Moss/lichen probably wouldn't survive. Good thought though.
    Bungalowmo: we bought the lot, it just happened to have a house on it. Probably should have just torn it down and started over!
    Rinqreation: Good suggestions. Wish I had the money to do what you suggest, and if I still hate it, (the rock) then do something else. Problem is that on our budget we have to get it right the first time. Hating the rock as it is makes it hard to imagine coming to actually like it. Trying to keep an open mind.
  • Kivi
    10 years ago
    If you really hate the stone because there is too much of it, why not just remove it all around the windows, but leave it on the chimney. I think the stone works well on the chimney, but I do agree that I don't really care for this style of laying stone around windows. The window walls don't really have that much stone, and as others have pointed out the windows need heavier trim anyway. If the mortar is inconsistent in depth on the chimney, and you want the color a bit different, I would very likely have the mortar joints filled flush with the stone. Just do a search here on houzz and you can find examples of flush mortar stonework. It can be a very nice look.
    sneetz thanked Kivi
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    After considerable reflection, noting that the stone "works" from a distance (assuming adoption of some earlier proposals), I would concentrate on that and also reducing the "close-up_ impact. For example, the entrance way could be horizontal, flush mount clapboarding for a sleek look. I do think that slate black, cedar, and stone can transform your place. Good luck!
    sneetz thanked John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kivi. We agree with you. Seems like taking the stone away from the windows would be an easy cure. I'll check out the flush mortar stonework, thanks.
    Garden Oaks. Thanks again for your comments. Slate black, cedar and stone. Sounds like magic to me. The entrance way is small and would benefit with the stone gone, and the clapboarding would look sleek. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    This is a very quick mullion layout for the main windows to show you the potential when you give the windows more traditional look / interest. It may inspire you to go back to the lodges posted above and click on the links to see the other photos of those amazing houses and discover the potential your place has. I hope it helps you as you make your choices. The stone is what makes this an architectural gem of a lodge suited to its site . . . please try the inexpensive concrete stain on the mortar or repointing a small section (where they fill the mortar joints with fresh /now dark colored grout) before you decide to demo anything. Taking a bunch of it out will cost A LOT - covering up some inside, not so much. There will be a happy medium you can find.
    sneetz thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    KJM Design Studio
    10 years ago
    I like the mullion ideas above. As for the main elevation photo, I would leave the stone on the chimney (perhaps address the mortar with stain or re-pointing), take the stone off the rest down to the window sill height, then run a drip-cap band at window-sill height from the chimney, around the corner, and across the house to form a datum line. This could be concrete-colored. Up top, the vinyl needs to be replaced. I would eliminate the shutters as well, and if there is a way to paint the window frames or replace windows, they should be bronze on a house like this not white. Cedar under the soffit would look great. Between the main windows I would use a dark-painted wood or a stained cedar. The back could benefit from a realignment of the windows - maybe plant a couple of big pine trees for now. When you take the stone off between the windows maybe it could be reused to cover up the cinder block on the bottom, so it looks like stone all the way to the ground. Good luck - big project here. I would suggest hiring a designer.
    sneetz thanked KJM Design Studio
  • PRO
    KJM Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Pro Tip: A good way to think about the stone is: "If it were real stone, could you possibly stack it that way?" If the answer is no, then the stone gets removed (i.e. above windows w/o a lintel, skinny strips between windows, edges where the stone appears 'thin') or addressed properly (lintels added above windows, etc.). If the answer is yes, then see if you can address the look of it with some stain, and if not reassess from there.
  • PRO
    Pebble Stone Coatings
    10 years ago
    There seems to be a lot of concrete surrounding the home so I would recommend Pebble Stone Coatings and their all natural pebble stone concrete overlay! It is great for aesthetically enhancing the exterior of the home as well as adding in that personal homely touch! Visit their website for more information! www.pebblestonecoatings.com
    sneetz thanked Pebble Stone Coatings
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    kjm - this is real stone. It is not plant on or cultured - it was built as custom lodge architecture in a place of natural beauty. with properly tinted grout it would be gorgeous. The vinly siding is uninformed. Hardieboard shingle look siding and traditional mullioned windows start to give you the shingle lodge classic you might find at yosemite or the grand canyon - this is special you guys. . .not just a house. I am a builder / engineer with years of architecture school - please . . .look at these links at luxury lodge homes and the historic grand canyon lodge photo.
    sneetz thanked libradesigneye
  • sneetz thanked libradesigneye
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    I haven't been following the thread since the beginning, but just read it all. I agree about the giraffe look. I had the same thought but didn't want to say. Now that I've read the thread and admit that stone is my favorite house material (but I like French traditional stonework), I can see that the problem is the grout and the windows and lack of molding around same. I think you have a lot of good advice and don't like wasting money and the earth's materials when you have a lot of good stuff already which can be improved upon. I agree that you need to look into dark mortar/grout. The stone is cooling and energy efficient in other ways mentioned. Just removing it would be a shame. I think you have tons of good ideas here. You need to experiment and go slowly. I can see why your husband would say there is no way to make it better. It is probably overwhelming in person and up close.

[houzz=
    Mountain Lodge · More Info
    ]

I especially like the look from above. This is a modern exterior like yours. I think you can get this effect.
    sneetz thanked Ramona
  • PRO
    KJM Design Studio
    10 years ago
    libra - nice steamboat springs house, that thing is seriously awesome. I have to disagree with you, however, on the stone being 'real' or not. It may be real 'face stone' or thin pieces of stone veneer, but it most certainly is not structural. i.e. it should peel off rather easily, and is likely bonded to a 2x structural wall. There is no way this stone is structural.
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Have a look at the buildings by Lake-Flato architects online. They combined natural looking stone, wood and concrete in many of their commissions and were masters at balancing materials for rustic modern exteriors. I don't see the stone as a bad thing, veneer or not. But look at more creative mixes of texture and color. Replace the garage doors and replace the raised deck with a concrete and steel structure. I'd also take down the hedge row and invest in landscaping with varying textures and heights.
    sneetz thanked Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    KJM: many of your ideas we also agree with. "If the stone were real, could you stack it that way?" I'm thinking no. We did have a builder come and give us an estimate for removal of the stone. He seemed to think it would 'peel' off. So I guess he thinks it is a veneer. Structural? I have no clue, but again the builder did not indicate that. Believe me, I read and re-read everyone's suggestions and look up terms I don't know. A designer is a must, but as you know, it never hurts to pump in more information!
    Libra: I love the ideas/pictures of other places but somehow I can't see 'my stone' in those photos. Thanks for the mullion ideas ON my stone. It does make a huge difference to see it done to my specific stone. I do hope to find a happy medium as you said. Your certainty that it is special gives me hope and determination to give it a try.
    Jeffrey: thanks for the link. I think a mixture of texture and color is definitely the key. That hedge row will be among the first things to go, for sure.
    Ramona: it is overwhelming up close and personal. Good advice to experiment and take it slow.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Must be slate (or some other layered rock) veneer, but might be inches thick.
    sneetz thanked rinked
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Keep the rock, darken the grout, trim the windows, add beefier posts. I would get some wood garage doors ( custom) to replace the white ones.... they throw the look off. I would probably think about a pergola in heavy rough wood, and stucco to replace the vinyl look siding..
    sneetz thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • Lori Desormeau
    10 years ago
    I didn't read all of the many comments here so forgive me if someone I'm repeating others' suggestions. I like the rock. It gives your house a connection to the outside and looks high end. I would change the grout joint color to one that more closely matches the color of the rock, therefore it would not have as much of the "giraffe print" effect. I think that the rock is a lovely warm color but the joints are very light and bright. I'm not sure how this could be done, maybe by making a thin slurry mix of grout and painting it on the joints. I think if you sided this entire house it would not look as interesting or substantial. I like the mixture of materials: rock and siding. I live in a neighborhood of mid century modern houses and mixed material exteriors is common. Concrete and siding or wood. It creates interest and depth. Spend the money on great landscaping, painting the window trim and garage door darker and changing those small windows. Those shutters do not belong on this house. They look colonial and your house is not colonial. I think replacing those small windows with ones that follow the angle of the roof would look much better. I'm assuming that the house is older and that the rock came from the area? This was something commonly done by some of the world's best architects. It helps the house fit into the landscape, a place of great natural beauty, from your words. To side it or make it all stucco would make it stick out unnaturally, IMO.
    sneetz thanked Lori Desormeau
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lori, well said. I truly appreciate your comments. Indeed, the windows will be changed. I will lose the shutters, that is agreed upon by all. I do hope to give it a unique, but pleasing look and the mixture of materials will indeed be the way to go.
    Ringreation: I need to let everyone know if it is a veneer or real rock. But it is thick I think.
    Sustainable dwellings: yes, yes, yes. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Lori: In a way, it's better not to read the entire thread. When more than one person has the same idea, then it's worth really looking at. You did repeat a few suggestions, which to me means they were really good suggestions!
  • Lori Desormeau
    10 years ago
    Glad my repeats helped, haha! it's a cool house, btw. I'm sure that the view through those windows is awesome!
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    I am posting this photo because your stone would look so nice with some dark beams along the roofline or just one along the ridge of the roof
    Texas Hill Country · More Info
    sneetz thanked Dar Eckert
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dar. This is an amazing photo. The stone seems somewhat similar in color and looks to mine; amazing against the dark beams. There is even a wide mortar, and light colored mortar. It appears that the mortar is level with the stone. Thanks for posting! I went to the Houzz page and saved almost all of the photos from this grouping. Thanks, thanks. One more thing, the stone in my veranda is almost the same as the stone on their patio. I will look for a picture...
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    I love the stone on the exterior! It's gorgeous, I think....screams potential! Love the mock up with the addition of the dark trim...love the beams. Def add a wood garage doors as previously suggested. All great suggestions! Please post after pictures!!
    sneetz thanked Timeless Interiors
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Timeless: I will post 'after' pictures. Especially because I feel like so many suggestions and comments were carefully thought out. I can't say how much that is appreciated!
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    okay Dar. Here are pictures of the stone flooring in the veranda. Also the stone wall in the veranda. Mind you, the whole house needs updating and every room screams for attention. Plus as I said, we are renting it at the moment, so not my belongings that you see. For now we are doing the exterior. I just was amazed how similar the stone wall/flooring was to the photos you posted
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    Ya know, I just don't like the stark white against that stone because it accents the grout lines. I think I would paint the ceiling a different color, maybe a light latte color or even a light blue but not glossy. You might also consider staining the fireplace surround espresso or darker. I see that orange as in the picture on the wall is wonderful with the stone.
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    I was looking at your living room area, wow what a grand space. It will really be one of a kind. It really reminds me of the great fireplace rooms in some of the old lodges built by the CCC. (Timberline, Mt. Ranier etc.) It might be a good idea to talk to a designer about colors & furniture because you have such a unique space. It looks like the room color in the entryway is wrong for the stone and you need a new front door and chandelier which are much to plain for that great living room. Not sure of your taste but medium grays would be good color for the walls. Furniture should be on the larger scale.

Check out stone wall in living room on Houzz of ideas about color combinations.

Pennsylvania Farm House · More Info

Talon's Crest · More Info
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dar. Again, as always, thanks for your comments. Fabulous tips, suggestions and photos. I appreciate everything so much. Great help!
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    Glad to be of help!
  • PRO
    garden design online
    10 years ago
    My designing suggests:
    sneetz thanked garden design online
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Garden: can't wait to get started on the garden as well! Thanks for your suggestion.
  • honeyklein
    10 years ago
    Let me be the first to say that I had a similar disposition on the shed style home I purchased six months ago. I liked the house but didn't like the stone. And it isn't flat like yours; the best way to describe them would be small boulders that are set in mortar. While it is a veneer the rocks are VERY real. I am attaching a bad picture but it was what I could find. Luckily, my parents gave some sage advice and many people who saw it liked it.

The home was a custom build for the original owner so the floor plan is amazingly ahead of it's time and the stone is also carried inside to the--you guessed it--fireplace. I plan on painting every interior wall white and maybe have dark trim. I'm not sure yet. I want plain white walls so my art and furniture will play the role of introducing color and visual excitement. I will have to post something to get advice from the Houzzers at some point. The cost of constructing this house today is so incredibly high that two insurance quotes I got for CONSERVATIVE replacement cost took my breath away, literally. I now realize that I have something unique (like me) with details that are not available today unless you want to spend high six figures. I also noticed that my mortar is dark which helps the stone blend with the cedar.

Also, I have seen many houses on this site with that kind of stone. I believe that when you embrace, instead of expensively remove (and have the contractor squirrel away what gets taken out because you're a fool LOL), you'll be happier. I have to agree with Sstar on that. After a discussion in October ( https://www.houzz.com/discussions/any-regular-houses-on-houzz-dsvw-vd~685949) about houses, where Sstar made some great comments, I have completely fallen in love with my house. With the cost of renovations being so high and availability of highly-skilled labor being so low, you'd be wise to work with what you have OR sell it for something that already has everything you want done. It's cheaper that way. :-)
    sneetz thanked honeyklein
  • Kendra Harris
    10 years ago
    Short comment, can u change the colour of the grout? To something that is less obtrusive. And upgrade the soffit? To something that goes with the stone better. I don't think the stone is that bad, it's just that its such a contrast to everything else going on. COHEASION
    sneetz thanked Kendra Harris
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Honey: thanks for the picture of the stone on your house. Looks great. Not overwhelming at all. I think the trick for our house is to get a mixture of materials, which many suggested. And Kendra: yes, getting the grout darker has been #1 suggestion. Thanks.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Anitaherway--Yes, I meant re-pointing, and others have brought it up since, as well. The top layer of mortar is manually chipped out, with a new color saturated layer tamped in. Dying will bleach & fade in this environment over time. You've gotten a lot of great advice here. I offer one suggestion: interview a max. of three capable arch. candidates/pay each firm for separate 2 hour initial on-site consults in which you listen, ask questions and take copious notes/get a fee proposal from your predetermined scope of all interior, exterior & site related design issues you wish to resolve during the design & construction process, which needs to include a cost for site observation by the winning firm during the construction process. Don't discuss one parties ideas with another. You want blind, unfettered, unbiased feedback--that is the best way to divine the right firm for your unique project.

This methodology is intended to best benefit all parties during the design process. IMHO, design and justifying how these ideas relate effectively to the existing conditions will drive your choice for which firm you choose. The right design firm is not oblivious to the merits of controlling cost, whilst demonstrating creativity and knowledge of constructibility, affording you the best marriage of all three during the design & construction process.

Trust me, after 30 years in this field, the owner/architect/contractor relationship works best when everyone trusts each other and stays within their purvey. Respect what each of your team brings to the table, schedule (weekly?) site meetings, talk regularly and you'll net complete project satisfaction & loyal partners in your project team! Best Wishes with your domicile enhancements!
    sneetz thanked DMH DESIGN
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    DMH, your thorough and descriptive process of how to proceed is very much appreciated. Very much. In our remote area I hope there are 3 firms to choose between. (Kidding, there are probably plenty). I will take your advice very much to heart.
  • PRO
    Leo Dowell Designs
    10 years ago
    You have been given some great advice and some not so great advice. There are 3 directions you could go with this house, Rustic Casual, Eclectic ( a mix of classic with today's style), or Contemporary. Once you know the direction, the rest is easy if you know how to achieve it. But you first must decide the direction, other wise you could end up with a hodgepodge of ideas again! While it is great to ask everyone's opinion to help you with options, it can be very confusing because every one comes not only from a different point of likes and dislikes, but in the end the whole finished product has to tie together. Just a bunch of good ideas on their own merit does not make a house great or timeless appeal. I see clients doing this type of approach all of the time and wasting lots and lots of money!

With all of that said, all of your concerns can be corrected cosmetically. There are expensive ways to accomplish this and less expensive ways to pull off the same thing. But most importantly you have to have someone with the same vision that you like and knows how to get there. I travel to job sites all over the world to make this happen, and also work from blueprints. Exactly for all the reasons I stated is why I got into this business 35 years ago. Let me know if you want a designer to make your dream come true.
    Leo Dowell Interiors ( interior and exterior detailing)
    sneetz thanked Leo Dowell Designs
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your info Leo. I agree, nothing worse than spending tons of money only to spin your wheels and make no progress.
  • ourfarmhouse
    10 years ago
    Your facade is begging for some variation in materials. I would look to some of the WPA lodges as inspiration. You've got a grand structure that could handle the massive timber look, and the end result would balance out all your stone. Of course, it would mean removing the stone around the windows. I think it would be nice to have heavier timbers on the porch/breezeway area, as well.

I also think your windows could use more architectural detail in the form of muntins. your upper windows should be brought down to the same level, and I think it would help if they were a little taller. I think the right side could use one more window, since it seems that the right side is wider. It would be nice if the windows had heavier trim. A different color sash than trim would help the windows to pop.

Shakes on the upper portion would be another more classic texture that would complement the stone.

Also, it might be more appropriate to have a more natural looking landscape that uses indigenous plants and boulders that match the mass of the house.

Here is a mock-up...
    sneetz thanked ourfarmhouse
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Loving the 'window box', ourfarmhouse!
  • PRO
    Art-Faux Designs Inc.
    10 years ago
    Darken the grout lines and over glaze the stones to bring in some grayer tones over the bright yellow ochre and raw sienna colors of the stone. Incorporating the stucco around the corners of the chimney and around the windows would surely make for a great look by painting them with a darker rich tones as well.
    sneetz thanked Art-Faux Designs Inc.
  • PRO
    Art-Faux Designs Inc.
    10 years ago
    I would also wood grain the overhead garage doors
    sneetz thanked Art-Faux Designs Inc.
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ourfarmhouse: the mock up is amazing. Seriously, I am amazed. Fantastic! Now I can't wait to get started. A million times thanks. That mock up makes ALL the difference. I am a visual learner! Thanks Art-Faux Designs for the added tips. Perfect suggestions.
    Thanks everyone!
  • bvillehomes
    9 years ago
    Sneetz, I am facing the same problem only on a much smaller scale. Thanks for posting your pictures. Now I don't feel quite so hopeless after all the great suggestions you have been presented with.
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's six years later. We decided on a new route entirely....complete renovation inside and out. Thought it would be fun to post the outcome. The rock came down, and we took the fireplace from the prow and moved it to the inside of the house, making the prow symmetrical. We decided on a contemporary mountain home look. In the end, you can't even tell it's the same house. I never posted photos from the inside of the house, but the transformation is just as dramatic. Now for some landscaping!

• ArchitecturalDetails .
    4 years ago

Great results, but I would have been a bit more dramatic with the exterior color selection.

sneetz thanked ArchitecturalDetails .
  • sneetz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s true, more color might’ve been more fun. These colors are muted but fit well into the dry arid landscape. The imprint is minimal

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.