edubya

Your Bathroom's Best Feature?

Emily H
10 years ago
If you had to choose one thing? What would be your bathroom's best feature? Mine is my wall mounted magnifying mirror. I have a love / hate relationship with it. Mostly love. :)

What's yours? (photos encouraged)

Smile Swiveling Magnifying Mirror 5X/1X · More Info

Comments (85)

• 747.2fra
    10 years ago
    After living with cracked lime linoleum, the sink partially in the tub/shower that required 2 shower curtains because the wall wasn't waterproof, and the toilet that was 8" from the wall, our remodel feels luxurious. It took us 7+ years to prioritize, plan and save! But now I love everything about the room.
  • mdnotdr
    10 years ago
    My favorite thing about my bathroom is the windows above and beside the tub. (Saving to replace the glass.) Least favorite thing...having to clean the tub after Sweetpea uses it for her bath..;o)
  • Related Discussions

Total Transformation of a 30-year-old Derelict Apartment into a Groovy

Q

Comments (30)
    Groovy Baby! Love it! I think if you are going to have a strong look like this, you have to go the whole hog to pull it off, otherwise it just looks like a bad take on a 'theme'; you nailed it, very well done!
    ...See More

How do you store your shampoo/shower bottles?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have a recess built into the walls which is great, but not helpful in this situation. We will always default to the easiest method when it comes to daily tasks and the caddie is probably the best solution it you are renting and not allowed to drill the tiles, but it is not as easy to put things in a caddie as it is a shelf. If you can drill the tiles, a shelf will be easier. Be as minimalist as possible with stuff on it as well. There are plenty of other options in cushion storage from storage shops too. Good luck.
    ...See More

What's your best tip to creating more storage cheaply?

Q

Comments (1)
    I used tiered baskets/pouches behind the door in my bathroom to hold brushes and appliances like hairdryer, straightener etc.
    ...See More

Wardrobe and bathroom together

Q

Comments (1)
    The humidity in Singapore is always a concern with wardrobes and storage in general. The exhaust fan will help up to an extent. Its going to a trial and error experiment for you as there are other factors that need to be included here as well..... Eg is there a window for cross ventilation close by. Is there an air con in the bedroom concerned. Will it be switched on all the time or periodically. You might be lucky and control the humidity with a number of factors. Do share and let us know your experience so we can all learn from you. There is however a dehumidifying rod that is available in the market and used in high end homes in Singapore. It helps up to an extent as well. Its a question of best dealing with the natural humidity as well as the moistness from the shower.
    ...See More
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Toilet. Without it we would be in BIG trouble. :)
    But seriously, our bathroom is small and decorated in a cottage style (by us). I love the floor. I also love the beadboard and the bullseye trim.And I like the blue color of the walls. I don't like the plumbing showing behind the sink. Please excuse the mess.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Ooops, here is the picture. I should have removed that box of Kleenex up there. But at least the toilet lid is down! My husband is very good about that.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    That mosaic is beautiful, ring...especially hard to work in different tile sizes.
  • vizkid88
    10 years ago
    Just finished renovating my 1943 bathroom and love the heated floor and extra outlet I was able to sneak in.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Radiant underfloor heated, urinal for spouse in a fairly bombproof corner, curbless shower, and three flaps in wall to dump laundry from master bath to hampers in the butler pantry. Will be adding towel bars, shower caddy shelf, and TP holders that double as grab rails. Top rating for me is the urinal; top rating for hubby is the laundry flaps.
  • centaurita
    10 years ago
    Great Conversation! We are building our last home right now and I can't wait to enjoy some of the things everyone is talking about here! Does anyone have a reccomendation for a towel warmer? I wanted to get one for my DH for Valentine's day so he can wire it in before the drywall goes up? I wouldn't mind having a freestanding one either, that could sit between the tub and shower - but I love how the hardwired ones looks on the wall! Any advice apprciated!
  • Mike Zweifel
    10 years ago
    I like nothing about my bath
  • houseatthelake
    10 years ago
    I like my built in shelving at the end of the tub. I plan to do more renos in this area. Want to cover tub deck with marble tiles possibly put wainscotting or subway tile around tub and window area. Also finish off the tub side panel. I like my mirror frame which I did myself with MDF painted and white river rock. The best feature of our bathroom should be the view as we have a lake view but as our windows are so high we can't really see it. Future plans would be to add a larger window as privacy is not really an issue. We have no neighbors close by. I would add shutters which could be closed when needed. Since we first moved here I have wanted a larger window in the bathroom. Hope to see it happen.
  • houseatthelake
    10 years ago
    Still more renos planned for this area.
  • karenrpowell
    10 years ago
    @centaurita. Im a designer/ decorater and just finished a complete home remodel on my new home. I put in a " mr steam" beautiful towel warmer. Here are pros and cons. Pros: Looks great on wall. Doubles as a towel rack. Might be a good feature for resale. Cons: Expensive. Takes an electrician to mount. To warm a towel completely you have to weave the towel in and out of the bars which can be time consuming. A super thick towel never warms completely, even after 10-15 minutes. You can only warm one towel at a time. Final grade: Looks - A. Function- D. Hope this helps you. PS my husband throws his 2 big bath sheets in the dryer to warm them.
  • centaurita
    10 years ago
    @karenrpowell, Yes it helps :) Thanks for taking the time to post. It seems like one of those things where price may not equate to function, and maybe I'll just have to wing it and hope I choose wisely!
  • dianecourbat
    10 years ago
    I love my huge shower with grab bars and built-in bench. I feel like I am in a spa.
  • midmodfan
    10 years ago
    The Geberit AquaClean washlet.
  • Hillary Moers
    10 years ago
    The view from my bathtub! treetops and sky.... divine
  • amanpino
    10 years ago
    Everything AFTER the refurbishment of our small apartment in 2004, because BEFORE, we didn't go inside that room without plastic bags put over our shoes and disposable gloves over our hands.
    We like staying there (in the apartment ;-) because it is so nicely located, in the city centre with views to the trees of a lovely private park.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    My medicine cabinet
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    Mine is spacious and it has windows so a nice breeze comes through the room.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I'm in love with my little black and white retro-tiled half-bath, except it has a very fun walk-in shower (it's tiny) that is also great for guests or bathing the dog :)
  • PRO
    Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
    10 years ago
    I have three - a separate toilet "room" with its own window, separate vanities/sinks for my hubby and me, and my wall mounted magnifying mirror.
  • Denise Tonner
    10 years ago
    Dclostboy, is that statuary marble on the large surfaces? How is it holding up? I just installed it on vanity top (slab) and shower walls and floors (tiles). I am most concerned about hair and body products and makeup. I have become much more aware of products and quick clean up as I put statuary in my kitchen too!
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Denise, it's actually polished Carrera on the large surfaces and honed on tiles...I seal every 6 months and have had no issues...but no hair spray or makeup here :)
  • Denise Tonner
    10 years ago
    Good to know! I will put my tile guys on my calendar for the sealer. So far so good with my stone on all surfaces but kitchen -wise I can see the 'patina' pretty quickly, so I am developing a heathy respect for the porosity but love it just the same. Your style and colors are similar to mine so I of course love your pictures, and your "plan ahead and save up"philosophy!
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Thanks...seal, seal, seal :)
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    10 years ago
    Heated floors! They are the best thing in our home, the one thing we have never taken for granted, ever! People don't realize the Ahhhhhh value of them and they aren't really that expensive to install.
  • skalergis
    10 years ago
    My thermostat needs replacing and that's expensive!! But the warm floor is amazing!!
  • judygilpin
    10 years ago
    I have a swing arm magnifying mirror just like the one pictured above. Have it mounted on the wall right next to my wonderful floor to ceiling window (yes the glass is frosted). The wonderful light from that window is my favorite thing in my bathroom
  • stryker
    10 years ago
    Blooming orchids. I put an additional window in my little 6x8 ft bath, and configured niches with a plant shelf at the foot of the tub/shower. The sun streams in, turning the shower spray into rainbows, and I feel like I'm naked in paradise with my flowers. It's really like an outdoor shower. The heated floors are great too.
  • merinlmione
    10 years ago
    towel warmer
  • Jacqueline Leider
    10 years ago
    i LOVE A NATURAL LIGHT IN THE BATHROOMS
  • woolywilly
    10 years ago
    I love the pebble floor in the shower we are just putting in
  • Kittylm Metcalfe
    10 years ago
    the 9-foot tall custom storage cabinet that separates the toilet area and the bathtub (this idea came from Houzz!)
  • maryr410
    10 years ago
    My heated toilet seat! (It's also a Kohler bidet toilet seat & comfort height toilet) Hope I'm never again without it. In the freezing winter getting up in the middle of the night is so much easier! 2nd favorite would be a heated floor. Thought of it to late when we re-did our master bath.
  • PRO
  • Kathy
    10 years ago
    Double vanities with different heights. His counter is taller, which makes much more comfortable use of the sink, etc. and affords an extra drawer.
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Bevmacrae, I love your mirror!!!!!
  • ptmatthews
    10 years ago
    A large walk-in shower - nothing worse than a tiny shower!
  • runninghome
    10 years ago
    Our awesome cork floor - from http://corkstore.com/ Love it!
  • Bruni Collins
    10 years ago
    Two toilets, one with bidet, behind doors! Yea!
  • psuep
    10 years ago
    I'm with everyone who says heated floors - it's 8 degrees this morning and I would give up every pretty, shiny, fluffy thing in my bathroom for 85 degrees underfoot. Gleefully, I already did! In time, perhaps I'll make it look as luxurious as it feels.....
  • Kat Cheng
    10 years ago
    The huge skylight is my favorite thing, I think. It gives the room a sense of open space, which Is important to me.
  • praguemama
    10 years ago
    We are the process of building out retirement home. Have ordered the umbra towel warmers that are slightly arched and have wide slots to warm towels better are hardwired) (2 smaller ones were cheaper & higher wattage.) Have the Gerbrit wall hung toilet installed & with the Toto washlet that has a warm seat & closes when a person leaves; it will be the bomb! Heated floors are a must! Dear hubby put in a large window so I'll be able to look out into a small greenhouse filled with all my orchids, tropical vines and my orange tree, (we live in the country but do have neighbors so I used that excuse to get my greenhouse!) Can hardly wait until the house is done!
  • garmire
    10 years ago
    I'm fond of my soaker tub and the glass tile window around it. Also the chandelier above the tub is romantic. Well, it could be!
  • praguemama
    10 years ago
    Love the chandelier also, I have the pieces all cut for mine, just have to take them to the glass guy who has a larger kiln than mine so I can slump them! I'd put a climbing plant in each corner of the glass or a couple of orchids, they love the indirect bright lite and the steam from the tub. Lucky bamboo also would work!
  • reneekip
    10 years ago
    The only thing good thing about our bath is the toilet will flush!!! Horrid blue shower (NO tub), sliding doors are too large, so they overlap and only one side opens about 1/2 way. The bottom is not solid and stepping in the wrong places makes me wonder if I'll finish my shower in the basement. Gross sticky back tile squares. This house needs a major overhaul.
  • PRO
    Innovative Product Sales International
    10 years ago
    Heated floors and my shower caddies!
  • onthecoast1
    10 years ago
    My bathrooms are basic, but the deep closet in my main bath is AWESOME. Also love the curved shower rod in my tiled tub shower, and the built-in towel bar on the shower wall to hang the damp towels on to dry. My main bathroom has red walls which I get a lot of compliments on -- very energizing in the morning. I also put in a toilet which I think has the prettiest shaped base, tank, and tank lid -- first "pretty" toilet I've ever owned! lol
  • Lourdes Cantillo
    10 years ago
    I love my car wash, open shower and the Venetian mirror on the vanity.
  • centaurita
    9 years ago

@ Innovative Products,

I have those caddies and they have been great so far. We didn't want to drill holes in the new tile so they worked out perfect.

We finished out home and the master bath is one of my favorites. I love it all! Best things are probably the heated floor and jetted soaking tub, but I got everything I wanted in there. Heated towel rack (went with a large hardwired one on the wall), two windows, chandelier, long granite counter.....etc.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.