nikki_reyneke

What colours do I use?

Nikki Re
10 years ago
I desperately need help with choosing colours for my decor!!

We have an everyday living room with charcoal carpets and grey sofas - as in the photos the top are light and dark grey striped, with solid grey at the bottom. We have stark white walls in this room.

My question is what accent colour/s do I use? I started going down the teal track and bought cushions in this colouring, but now am second guessing myself. My husband likes red, but I feel like red is 'been there, done that'.

Someone has suggested use teal and mustard together, but the thought of mustard terrifies me. I'm a purple/blue/teal/soft green kind of girl - help!! What colours do I use, and without scaring poor hubby?

Comments (57)

• Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Genevieve, the 'stool' you are referring to is our little girl's handled trampoline, it won't stay next to the sofa though - we're moving that out of the way behind the 3seater so the room isn't so cluttered.

Being based in Auckland, New Zealand I feel we have very little, or no decent furnishing places that sell amazing cushions. Thank you to everyone who has commented so far, do you know if I was purchase these cushions online, if they would deliver to NZ?
  • Related Discussions

Very high bay window! What shall I do?

Q

Comments (3)
    I presume your toddler won't be able to climb out of the window. Count your blessings.
    ...See More

What do you love most about this bathroom?

Q

Comments (2)
    I love it allllll! Especially the little shower ledge/seat
    ...See More

What should I do with this boring entrance?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Rachel, This is quite easy to fix. Firstly I would brighten the space up with a white paint such as Nippon Violet Whispers (warm white), this will give you a good base to work from. Then I would replace your table with one that is larger. This table is too small to be useful and is making your entrance feel small. I recommend using teak and keeping this console table simple in design. On the wall I would place artwork - the bigger the better as this will make a dramatic statement. Then add some lighting (table lamp on console table) and decorative items and voila your entrance will be instantly chic! I have mocked up two options for you - one is based on blues, the other pinks, so depending on your preference you can go either way. This is the blue version with hints of tropical This is the pink version. I would love to work with you, so if you are interested in my ideas, please contact me via my website www.atelierlane.com Ellie Owner & Creative Director Atelier Lane
    ...See More

Need help what to do with concrete kitchen top

Q

Comments (1)
    Oh geez. Maybe you're just going to have to say that's the style nowadays as I have no idea on how to help.
    ...See More
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Do you sew? Cushions are very easy to make. Jewel colors go great with gray and I love the different yellows that have been suggested. :)
    Nikki Re thanked hanna1984
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    Love your sofas! They are so smart. I see yellow, ranging from pale soft butter to vivid chrome, in patterns and bold gray and yellow stripes. The teal is beautiful, but it goes better with browns as a base than grays.

I like orange and all those tones -- wear a lot of it! -- but orange and gray has a "harsh" look that isn't edgy, just -- harsh. If you go towards apricot/melon/shrimp, you could avoid that.

A touch of lime wouldn't hurt. Not much. A vase, something small. A good counterpoint to yellow. Don't go towards chartreuse.

You really have to trust your own sense of color. You know what you like, but sometimes, if you want a new direction, you have to live with it a while before it feels "right." Buy a couple of pillows in different colors and stare at them at odd times until one color starts to feel like a fit. If you can choose sofas like those, you have plenty of decorating savvy, so trust yourself.
    Nikki Re thanked inkwitch
  • Pól Dominic McCann
    10 years ago
    Hi Nikki,

Chee Soon & Fitzgerald have amazing fabrics and cushions as other decorator ideas. The post over seas - if you get the cover sent over and buy an insert in NZ, it's only about $15 in postage for two. Just called them and they said they have sent stuff over the Tasman many times!

http://www.cheesoonfitzgerald.com/
    Nikki Re thanked Pól Dominic McCann
  • Pól Dominic McCann
    10 years ago
    Sorry, I meant to say that they are in Redfern, Sydney. Could even be worth a flight over for a shopping weekend.
  • Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts and ideas, really really appreciated!

Unfortunately I'm not a sewer but wish I was - in saying that I'm sure my mother in law could help, I'm definitely keen to try and visit some fabric stores.

I never thought of yellow, I don't mind soft lemon but anything else from that, it would definitely take me a while to adjust.

I absolutely LOVE our sofas, but I feel having the stripe in them is limiting us on what we can use on them.

The interior designer who came over mentioned because of the stripes we should steer clear of satin/sheer material cushions, and bold patterns - does everyone think the same? We have Trademe here in NZ and been checking out what cushions they have - here's a selection of ones I like the look of! Loving the 'duck egg' colour, which complimentary colour would work with the duck egg?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Inspiration - look at all the colors you can choose from
    Tips for Entertaining in a Small Space · More Info

Living and Family Rooms · More Info

Sunny Garden room · More Info

KIm Bartley Design · More Info

West End Studio · More Info

Iveta Abolina Before The Storm Throw Pillow, 26x26 · More Info
    Nikki Re thanked LB Interiors
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    Great looking sofas. I added a bit of color with a new wall color and some decor items. Have fun creating your perfect room!
    Nikki Re thanked doctornancy
  • luccia
    10 years ago
    I think you should stick with the yellow suggestion. It's modern and fresh. Your young, yellow with grey is an updated look.
    Nikki Re thanked luccia
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    Personally, I am not a fan of yellow - in my living space. However, it is a lovely color against gray.
  • Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi DoctorNancy thank you so much for your picture! Helps seeing a visual on what we could do with our room.

I'm slowly coming around to the yellow idea, interesting how you have changed the wall colour - didn't think to paint the wall itself! Do you think we could get away with a textured rug given there are stripes in the sofa?
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    Textured rug? Do you mean patterned rug? Depends on the pattern. I used a gray animal print in my image and I think it works.
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    I like lavender too with your furniture. Here are more examples that complement your striped sofa.
    Charlaine 23" Pillow · More Info

Hues Lavender 17x17 Pillow · More Info

Small River Purple Pillow · More Info
    Nikki Re thanked Chem K
  • PRO
    BEGUM finest Silk and Muslin
    10 years ago
    Some real colours Pillows from Benarashi Silk
    Nikki Re thanked BEGUM finest Silk and Muslin
  • PRO
    FK Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I like to treat gray as a neutral and use bright colors as accents like this pic....
    Transitional Living Room by Brooklyn Architects & Designers CWB Architects
    Nikki Re thanked FK Interior Design
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    The only way you'll know if bold patterns or silky (as in the pillows just above this post) will work is to put some with the sofa and see if they work. Try a combination of patterns, both bold and "petite: quadrafoyle, paisley, lattice, etc. You must go with colors you like, with what feels "right" (see recent article on houzz on this very subject), and trust yourself.
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    Dallas, Park Cities Project · More Info
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    Brick House · More Info
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    Kapalua Living Room · More Info

As you can see, yellow can come in a variety of intensities. All of these will go with the stripes. Using turquoise w/gray is rare; it requires a certain intensity. Search houzz to see how others are putting things together. We'd love to see the result -- and a patterned rug will work, too.
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    Carlsbad Townhouse · More Info

This rug will work well with that sofa, and if you had at least 1 or 2 cushions in the same pattern (quadrafoyle), the repeat would pull it together.
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    Neo-Prairie Style Parade Home · More Info
  • Divyansh Jindal
    10 years ago
    when there is such a dull coloured back , bright and fluorescent cushions add to the delight and use accesories in the similar tones in a corner of your room, or get some table mats or platters in the same hue. all the best.
    Nikki Re thanked Divyansh Jindal
  • Divyansh Jindal
    10 years ago
    you may also throw over a blanket on any one of them, keeping the volume of cushions lighter in prints
    Nikki Re thanked Divyansh Jindal
  • PRO
    BEGUM finest Silk and Muslin
    10 years ago
    available in all colours of our current collection
  • daw4040
    10 years ago
    Yellow I did my bedroom in all shades of grey and tried all different colors for an accent
    yellow worked the best and look wonderful..
    Nikki Re thanked daw4040
  • janiesavage
    10 years ago
    I would go with Yellow pilllows
    Nikki Re thanked janiesavage
  • PRO
    Linda Clayton Interiors
    10 years ago
    Don't be afraid of purple. It will look fabulous with the grey. Classic color scheme and always go where your heart tells you! Grey and yellow is very nice but why be safe, go for the gusto! You don't want to do solid pillows, pattern on the stripe will make things more interesting. I like the look of the large pattern pillow but if you are more of a floral person do a combination of the floral and the solid ones. Also don't be afraid to add an area rug to the room to bring some more of your color in and to cover some of the boring charcoal carpet. It gives you a great layered look which is more of a designer look. Be sure to add a few accessories in other places in the room in your new accent color so that all the color is not just concentrated in the sofa area.
    Nikki Re thanked Linda Clayton Interiors
  • Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I LOVE purple!! Just didn't want hubby to roll his eyes if we end up going with it :)

We're trialling a shaggy rug at the moment which looks ok, someone here suggested a patterned rug rather than a shaggy one. The one we're using is grey-white based, it looks ok but I'm not absolutely loving it.

I'll be honest the yellow isn't quite doing it for me. I've now found some cushions that I've fallen in love it, yes I know some will roll their eyes but I keep getting drawn back to teal/jade colours, I can't help it... I LOVE these colours!! the jade colouring in these cushions are AMAZING and so vibrant!

Do you think I could do purple cushions with the jade colour, or will it look bad?

I know the colours I use here is just a taster, and know to carry on the same colourings into accessories - candles, vases etc.
  • Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's the photo this time!! any thoughts on these cushions would be amazing!!
  • Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's a pic of the grey shaggy rug we're trialling, I'm not completely sold on it. Hubby likes it, and the interior designer we had come over suggested a shaggy rug would work best. I'm thinking a pattern rug like in the other image, would be better!! Thoughts??
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    In order for a rug to work, it has to be big enough for the front legs of all your seating to be on the rug. The second photo shows a rug that is too small. Do not care for the rug in the 2nd image, but if you like abstract paintings, this may work for you. I REALLY like the rug on the left, but I have a "geometric soul."

Love the turquoise; my fav color! It mixes well with yellow/gold tones. (Can't seem to get away from that color!)
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    The gray geometric rug above fights with the geometric pattern in your sofa. I also don't care for the shag rug; as ink mentioned, it is too small. Also, I believe the shag texture is incongruent with the texture and clean lines of the sofas.
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    Here's an image of my previous photoshop with one of the teal pillows you like and grayed-blue walls. I suspect the rug is going to be your biggest challenge.
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    How about something like this?
  • tlparks
    10 years ago
    I really like that gray tone-on-tone animal print rug better than the last one posted. It isn't quite as busy looking. U already have enough movement with color in wallhanging and pillows. I think it will tone down the rug a little more if u plan to have a coffe table in front of sofa.
  • tlparks
    10 years ago
    Another benefit of the gray rug is that if u ever wanted to change out color scheme in room, all u would have to do is change pillows.
  • Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    doctornancy I love that second swirl rug, it's gorgeous!! where is this? I imagine it's overseas based and to get it sent to New Zealand, will cost me a small fortune, shame... that's the annoying thing about NZ, we are so limited to what we can access locally.

We have a wooden square coffee table coming, it will be stained dark brown/almost black which I'm so excited about!!
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    Nikki, I found the swirl rug by googling images for "teal and gray swirl rug". I don't know who sells it.
  • Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Found these two teal coloured rugs on our local auction site, do I play it safe and go with a shaggy solid colour, or the teal swirl? I'm loving the swirl!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I love the swirl too. I think the large pattern with a dark coffee table. Black pillows and'rug' blue color for pillows. Black framed art or horizontal black framed mirror over sofa would have so much interest, but I'm a bit chancy and don't mind mixing the patterns.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    Have you considered going monochromatic
    (the swirl carpet will overpower your sofa/s. contemporary carpet. Your sofas are country casual)
    Nikki Re thanked anne dee
  • Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi anne dee, what primary shade (monochromatic) would you recommend, the different tones of grey/charcoal or a different colour completely?
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    I would go with different tones of gey/charcoal and add another colour for pop!
    Nikki Re thanked anne dee
  • Nikki Re
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi anne, that's what I was originally thinking, my issue is what colour I use for the 'pop' :)

I keep coming back to a teal/turquoise colour (it's one of my favourite colours!!), I love blues, purples, teal/turquoise - many on here have suggested yellow but I'm really not sure about it. Here in New Zealand we're in Autumn, nearing Winter so uncertain about the yellow.

I found these cushions that I've fallen in love it, and wondering how I could make these work.. do I try teal and mustard together, as an interior designer suggested?
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    here is a suggestion regarding assort prints but keep in mind they need to be in the same tone or similar to the sofas plus an added colour for punch
    ref for inspiration only
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    any accent colour you love.
  • Larry Karts
    2 years ago

Darker shade could be a practical one too. Perfect for hiding possible small dirt and stains.

Frey | carpet cleaning

• robandlyn
    2 years ago

Very old post

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.