anrames

Help with living room decor

Anu
9 years ago
Please help suggest art work for the blank wall behind couch. Should I hang artwork centered on the sofa or should it be centered on the long wall? Attaching pics to show you what the rest of the room looks like as well. Rug advice? I am just trying to use a rug I already had. Not 100% sure it works.

Comments (64)

• PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think this shot was soooo staged! Cat comfortably napping and in front of her nose is a fake bird!

anrames, are you thinking you would take/use your own photos or are you going to shop for this?

What subject matter interests you? Your travels, hobbies, animals, family, etc.?
  • jacksplash
    9 years ago
    @sandy,I would say shop most likely, I would love to send you over to my 'dilemma' but i don't want to take people away from Anrames post!
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    I'm aware it's a fake bird(obvious) but that's what makes it humorous and whimsical. ;-)
  • jacksplash
    9 years ago
    I thought he was on the back of a sofa,I've got to get new glasses.)))
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    @jacksplash "ya think?" ;-)
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    Hello, your current area rug could go on the wall to become an art! GET A NATURAL FABRIC AREA RUG THAT WAY THE FABRIC ON YOUR CHAIR GETS BALANCED BY THE WALL RUG!

Another option is to go with zen inspired pictures for wall art. Ofcourse the colours of art to go with the fabrics n space. Someref images!
    Anu thanked chuppi
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    Oppose the correct sizes. Try the sofa in front of the window; the love seat on the solid wall; two chairs where they are now. Then try the rug.
  • Anu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Please feel free jacksplash. I am sure we are all benefitting from the wisdom and taste of the others here
  • Anu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    JudyG - would'nt that skew the whole flow though. Shouldn't the largest piece of furniture be against the longest wall?
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    Adding a little more zen to ur living... just a basic of how it will look with your rug hung up there!
    Anu thanked chuppi
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    I just noticed the sculpture. Is it from the Far East? You could hang some oriental art over the sofa and then feature your sculpture in the setting.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    I would move the tall plant to beside the door as you walk in and center the couch on the wall. I'm don't think the carpet is complimenting the printed chairs and I think a hemp rug would bring some natural elements to the room. A square coffee table will finish the room (add a orchid on top) and a japanese screen behind the couch could compliment your room.[houzz=
    Abbyson Living Morgan Square Coffee Table · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    6 ft. Tall Dragons Playing Room Divider · More Info
    ]
    Anu thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    My comments cont.
    Prints this size would have to be hung in pairs. Along with the palm, you would have a nice statement Iooked for a mate for the little boy with dragonflies but had no luck finding one. Would be a stunning wall with the black background paired up with the leather.
  • Anu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I like the idea of centering the couch. will try that. Rug not working :( I agree. I need to buy a better and larger one, but not in my budget currently.

Chuppi - looks great! how would I even hang the rug on the wall though?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Wait!
    The rug is just fine on the floor! As it is, the room looks collected over the years, welcoming and mellow. This is a great look so you do not need to rush out and shop for a replacement rug. The traditional style and colors are dead on. The only thing that might be better is a larger size, but this rug works for sure.

You could pull the front legs of your furniture up on to the rug but you will have to try it. Not sure the rug is large enough for all of the furniture to fit without touching arms. Do what ever it takes to make it work - feet off or on - for now.

Then, remember that you will be adding a cocktail table to the rug too. The top of the priority list right now has the art pieces and the cocktail table on it. Anything else will come in time.

Enjoy the good job you have done so far!
    Anu thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5175801_hang-rug-wall.html
    Also search for wall rugs in Houzz.com you may find some inspirational pictures...
    some pics from the same...
    Keep into considerations what you would like & how much you could spend on this project of living room update! go with your gut :)) Enjoy!
  • Anu thanked chuppi
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    Some coffee tables from wayfair.com, it may not necessarily be expensive to be beautiful.
    Also you can work your magic by getting some pieces & DIY ing... (Like painting a metal table to match your fabric).
    Anu thanked chuppi
  • PRO
    Eskandari Stone
    9 years ago
    You can add family photos, paintings or arts on the long wall. It would look great.
    Anu thanked Eskandari Stone
  • Sylvia Irene
    9 years ago
    I have no idea how to use this app. I am getting new furniture and have no clue hie to decorate.
  • Anu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Round or rectangle coffee table? I have this trunk that I love. But it is taller than the seat of the couch. Will it look weird?
  • lindabuzz
    9 years ago
    The space is screaming for a large painting above the sofa. I love the red one that Chuppi suggested. Would you consider changing the pillows on the sofa ? I don't think they work with the chairs. Maybe get a couple of solids and mix with a print that has the same red as the chairs. I think a nice rectangular coffee table would work, but nothing too dark. Good luck
    Anu thanked lindabuzz
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    In answer to the trunk as a coffee table
    Coffee tables can be higher than the seat in some cases, though. An example would be using a large steamer trunk for a coffee table. It may be higher than the seat but does not look out of place due to its overall proportions and original intended use.
    I hope this will answer your question ;-)
  • Anu thanked anne dee
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    If you have someone to help you move that trunk, it would be fun to see it in the space.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    I agree. A taller cocktail tbl is used often - I'm sure you have seen dinette-height tables in settings, so try the trunk! It is really neat. It might take a little getting used to since you have nothing there now. This is a "rule" that is breakable with much success, especially when repurposing.

The caning used is nice with the palm, and supports the feel of the room. It also will blend in nicely with your leather pieces.
  • PRO
    Susan Melrath
    9 years ago
    I am no expert (and this is my first comment ever!) but I'd like to suggest a bit of color. Although I love the idea of all sepia tones as well. This pic may be a bit too strong, but you get the idea...red!
    Anu thanked Susan Melrath
  • PRO
    Susan Melrath
    9 years ago
    Ugh - now that I posted that I can see the painting is the wrong shape. Needs a horizontal.
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    Same take....rules are made for convinience... if the centre table is lower than couch it will be easier to lay things on & off it while in sitting position...but if you are comfortable & can et used to the arrangement ,you set the rules for your space :)
    The colour also matches your side table & couch...& the good news is it is worth more than $150 & you have it ready at your disposal.

check out similar table from wayfair.com
    Anu thanked chuppi
  • ashtonchic
    9 years ago
    I think you have some great pieces to work with! I love the chairs and think the chest would work great with the couch. I would suggest that you get some different pillows for your couch and loveseat. Etsy has some great ones for not too much money. Stuff them with larger sized down inserts to make them have some body. I'd pick up on the brighter colors in the chairs. You have a great eye for prints so you can mix and match. If you are close to Ikea, they have some really big, mural sized photos. You could use one behind your couch to fill the wall. I'd also move the couch forward a little bit and put a sofa table behind it. You could have a lamp and a vase (like the one sitting next to the plant), your little buddha, some books etc. on it. Your little table can go between the chairs. A pair of drapes for the window will dress them up. Again, use your chairs for color inspiration. You'll have a showstopper of a room soon!
    Anu thanked ashtonchic
  • Anu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    really appreciate all your input. I wanted to try fabric on the wall suggestions and found an old tapestry from my India trip. Seems a bit too small for the wall, doesn't it? I also dont know if it is too matchy matchy - I also added a print to the side wall. The chest does seem to overwhelm the space. Would love your opinions.
  • ashtonchic
    9 years ago
    Tapestry on it's own is much too small but you could do travel photos around it. Chest looks fine to me. My concern is the light chairs and dark leather. Seems heavy on that side. I still suggest balancing with lighter pillows.
    Anu thanked ashtonchic
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Is it possible to move the tapestry down so it is 6-8 inches from the back of the couch and post another picture??? Part of me thinks it has possibilities because it is long enough...just no sure about the height and would love to see if it will work. It is a special piece and it would be so nice to have it as a part of your living space.
    Anu thanked abbyjean
  • Anu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I took down the tapestry and put it somewhere else. I tried to do what you asked on my computer AbbyJean. Please take a look.
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    Hello anrames, Congratulations for coming further. You no have a style! leaning toward exotic Indian! I am not sure if you want to go this further but a saturated wall colour will be good backdrop for your tapestry.
    Here is the attached pic. Enjoy your new found space :)
    Anu thanked chuppi
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Ya know what? I like the tapestry once you lowered it!!! Look how it works with the colors you see in the pic you posted. Could something be taller? Probably. But does this work? I think it does.
    Anu thanked abbyjean
  • Anu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Chupp- thanks! the red wall looks great, but my husband woul dprobably kill me :) I do agree about the pillows. AbbyJean - yes whatever I end up hanging needs to be at that height. Will look for something taller and wider.
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    Anrames, if you have considered painting the wall or treating with wall paper currently or eventually when time & budget permits, you could definitely consider a more saturated tone of colour for the back wall...it may be a neutral to please all species :). Also consider incorporating a corner shelf going with your current style where you can display artifacts/ travel photos plants etc...
    Here is a pic depicting the same...corner shelf rom etsy.com
    Another colour to consider is the dull green in the ref pic.
    Good day!
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    Also notice when you treat the wide corner with something vertical, there will be equal space o both sides of tapestry! You could possibly experiment even with browns/ maroons for the back wall . Enjoy :)
    Anu thanked chuppi
  • Sofie Harris
    9 years ago
    I do really like the idea of using a sepia canvas. I found a really nice landscape image that I think would look wonderful. I think it would tie together all the elements of your room.
    As for your rug, I'm not really sure what you could do, I would just replace it.
    Anu thanked Sofie Harris
  • User
    9 years ago
    Can you frame the tapestry to give it a bit more scale? Add some coordinating pillows.....I really think that is all you need.
  • Bhaskar Adhikari
    9 years ago
    Where did you get that sofa and love seat from?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Another way to finish your tapestry is to use a rod at the top with tassels, or use a rod top and bottom. All you need to do is to stitch a pocket for the rod to slip through.

If the rods are a foot longer - say 6" on either side of the tapestry, they would add to the width of the unit - making it more substantial. Your sofa/love are solid and chunky and the artwork has to hold it's own mixed in with these pieces.

Also, a pair of lamps on end tables will go a long way to "framing" this wall.
    Anu thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • Anu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Bhaskar Adhikari - It is from Ashley furniture. I am still processing all the other inputs. Love the idea of corner shelf. I am not planning any new painting/wall papering right now. So I do really need to go shopping for my Sepia canvas. My tapestry I have moved it to the wall that had the print by the window. Will post pic soon. It looks much nicer hung vertically.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I am happy you made it a part of the room!!! Anxious to see the pics!
    Anu thanked abbyjean
  • Anu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here it is.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I like it!
    Anu thanked abbyjean
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    small wall hangings on either side of the tapestry will help too! Consider urn for accessory.
    Pendants can be played with also...
    Anu thanked chuppi
  • ashtonchic
    9 years ago
    Like the tapestry hung on the side wall - looks good!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.