allenpagold

I HATE MY NEW BUILDER'S KITCHEN, PLEASE HELP!!

allenpagold
9 years ago
My kitchen in our home that is currently being built has a refrigerator on a wall by itself that is placed between 2 doors. The oversized island, which is pretty basic, is most likely the reason why no cabinets were placed on the wall with the refrigerator. The attached photos are of a similar kitchen in the same model (my cabinet size and color/stone/cooktop etc. are different but the layout is basically the same). I was not aware of the poor layout prior to signing the contract. What can I do to make this kitchen more appealing? The builder, K.Hovnanian, is not willing to allow changes so my husband and I will have to pay for a fix after the closing.

Comments (247)

• Laura Olson
    9 years ago
    just finished building also, We have island, One wall of cabinets(but frig is on it), and pantry. KEEP the pantry. Hides alot of stuff. If possible, get the overhang out of the traffic pattern. It will work better. Best wishes
    allenpagold thanked Laura Olson
  • Tina
    9 years ago
    I don't think switching the oven and fridge will change anything because it sounds like your concern is that the wall with the fridge has no cabinets and it looks off balance.
    Is the pantry a walk in pantry? If it is then you can make the pantry door look like your cabinets and put false cabinet doors above the pantry to give the illusion that it is another cabinet. Fix the cabinets that are above the fridge so that it blends in with the false cabinet above the pantry door. Once you do this it will look like there are cabinets from the corner of the oven to the fridge and will give you the balance effect that you are looking for.
    allenpagold thanked Tina
  • Related Discussions

HELP NEEDED - matching color to granite top

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi, We suggest that you g⁠⁠⁠⁠o for grey (safer) or black (more "loud" and daring) laminate colours as it matches really well with the granite you have. These colours will definitely give a touch of elegance and express a modern look theme! You may also do polishing for your Granite to give it back its shine thus you will look like you have a new kitchen! Please do contact us in jojo@stoneamperor.com.sg and we may provide you more information and feedbacks about countertops! Cheers, Stone Amperor team
    ...See More

Need help for our kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!! Though your idea is excellent,We cannot keep both the fridge together as it is taking all my work space .I am hardly left with any counter space if you go by dimensions. I will be looking forward to more of your brilliant ideas!!! .Thanks a million once again!
    ...See More

"Need help for 3rd Floor of my House

Q

Comments (7)
    So you just want to enclose the top area to make it a place to sleep? Does it need to have a kitchen and bathroom or just a sleeping area? I am not an architect but you might want to ask more direct questions like " How can I enclose this upper floor to make it livable?". It looks like you live in a very mild climate. Perhaps you should put up wood walls with windows that match the design on the balcony panels. I am not a builder so I hope someone else has some ideas for you.
    ...See More

Need help on the furniture layout for open plan living room

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for your comments, its great to discuss with houzers! You are so right @decoenthusiaste the view is beautiful and one reason why I chose the apartment. the room is longer than it is wide, and I wanted the kitchen/bar to be included in the seating so the attached pic is how I was planning to lay it out. @cdrdesign I can't/change the table, its a gorgeous mahogany piece I had custom made and one I see keeping for some years yet! I dont plan a TV in this room, will put it in another room. This room in for living and entertaining guests. Sorry I dont have layout software, so you will have to make do with my scribbles using powerpoint! Could really do with help on choosing the light fitting in place of the central fan- what would look nice here or should I wait till the furniture gets here to choose the light to match?
    ...See More
  • bookofideas
    9 years ago
    In studying your photo the most economical change would be 1. Rotate Island. 2. Cut cabinetry on right hand side of sink in half. 3 . Move fridge to end of sink on right. 4. Add bar or more cabinets in frig spot between two doors. 5. Add more cabinets or a tall cabinet to end
  • Laura Olson
    9 years ago
    I respectfully disagree with Tina. Switching the frig and oven is a great idea, as you use the frig so many more times a day. BUT I wouldn't want to open either of them into the bar area.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    It's a shame you have to go thru the island to get to the fridge. Layout is a challenge. Visually this is horrible. Dark floors, dark cabinets, dark tops. All are essentially the same color and value. Lighter color Paint and glaze on the island would have a great impact. Refer right of the sink makes sense for access but will cut off the light from the window and partially close of the sight lines. I wouldn't do it. The oven and cook top wall are okay. If the line from the refer to the sink area is reasonably straight I'd suggest living with it for awhile. It may not be as bad as imagined. Please, if you can, brighten up, lighten up some of the color pallet.
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Tina, you are correct, my main problem with the layout is that the kitchen looks off balance because there are no cabinets on the wall where the refrigerator is located. Woodcrafters Intl Inc., the kitchen in the photo is not my kitchen. It is the same layout, but my selections are differenct. Thanks for the advice regarding the refrigerator blocking the light access if I were to move it to the opposite wall :)
  • PRO
    Laurie Brasnett
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Oh boy! Red flags. But not as bad as some make it out to be. Someone did not use a Kitchen and Bath designer. I am up in Canada so just like me instead of buying me a drink. How far into the build are they? Most builders love change orders/upgrades when they are done in a timely fashion not after the fact. It is all about timing and money. Anyone who builds/renos a home would be wise to read code and get referrals. You should be inspecting/ walking through your new home build everyday, to check work, answer questions, and ensure the labourers are getting paid. The city/municipality should be inspecting during the build too. I would be present when they do their inspection. Once the drywall is up, what can you see? Building inspectors need to be scrutinized too: follow them through their inspection, take pictures of everything, and ask questions. A reputable trades person will not balk at this.

1) The lighting is dismal minimal and centred in the ceiling not over the work areas. The room is dark. That is an upgrade I would have them change ASAP. Today -before they spray the ceiling with stipple.

2) In any larger kitchen you will have work flow issues. It is basic layout, not as bad as some, because the fridge does not stick out. The BI pantry and mudroom access are in a good spot for loading up the fridge. BI pantries are wonderful! I would leave the layout as is because you are looking at electrical and plumbing changes if they are already in. You are going to walk around an island no matter what the size. That is the nature of the work surface called islands and peninsulas.

3) Change out the microhood for a beautiful hood over the cooktop and centre them both on the wall not the counter space. Consider putting the microwave under the countertop on the island near the table.

4) (You said you were having different styling to your kitchen so this is FYI.) The cabinets are a dated trend styling. Put in eurostyle, not face framed cabinets if possible as you can add changes in time. They are raised panel in photo, go for flat panel, more modern style, like shaker, and spend the money saved on door style for full height wall cabinets to the ceiling along the far wall. Mix your wood tones and wood grains or use a painted finish with a wood floor. Add more drawers. You cannot have enough drawers. You can add drawers after if they are eurostyle cabinets by going back to the manufacturer even if you have already ordered cabinets.

5) Your faucet showing over the pony wall will drive you crazy in the years to come so raise the pony wall or change faucet.

6) Order a lighter, brighter countertop and you will enjoy working in it long into the retirement years. Dark countertops are hard to work on as we age. (again FYI)

7) Consider having the island in a different countertop or stain colour than the perimeter.

8) The room will not look so unbalanced once you paint the walls a colour you love, have stools, art on the walls and all your stuff in place.

9) Lucky you to have a new home: enjoy!
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Spectrum Cabinet Gallery, great points. My kitchen, once completed, will include many of your suggestions--full description, of my kitchen selections, is above. I did not choose the shaker doors, however, and now that you mention it, the shaker style does give a more modern feel to the kitchen. My cabinets are 42 inches high but I do plan to add trim/crown to take them to the ceiling. Regarding raising the half wall to hide the kitchen faucet, wouldn't that be too high? The wall is currently bar height.
  • graceous
    9 years ago
    I agree, the cabinets should go all the way to ceiling. It would make that kitchen look so much better.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Akallen228, have you closed yet? Just don't close until you are satisfied. That is your right. Did you have a "walk-through". That also is standard when building a house. Kitchen is the most important room in the house.
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    I think your kitchen layout is great and you don't realize the potential for it yet. I have many neighbors with a similar island to sink relationship and it works great. When you slide stools up under the overhang of the counter, they will not be in your way. I also think the cabinet space you gain under the island should make up for less upper cabinets.
    If you sales rep will allow you to change the gourmet kitchen back to the standard, then you could do that and save the money. Usually they have time limit for these structural changes. If you press the issue that they did not clearly explain the differences, they should try to work with you. I would have for my buyers when I used to work for a national builder, but you have to decide what is the path of least trouble. I have known buyers to get the standard kitchen package and then completely remodel it before moving in. Of course you have to go to closing on the house first. I really think that your kitchen has a good layout and you are fortunate to be moving into a beautiful new home.
    allenpagold thanked sunnydrew
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    sandradclark, the home has been framed and the wiring is going in...most of the fault is mine for not noticing the lack of cabinets on the layout. I just expected a nicer appearance, especially after seeing the Model Home kitchen (See photos below). So, at this point, I am stuck with the layout, but, I do believe that my kitchen will look better than the one above due to the upgrades & change order requests that we were able to make: 42 inch white cabinets, stainless steel hood, 6 burner cooktop, pendant lights, under cabinet lighting, upgraded double oven. After closing, I plan to take cabinets to ceiling and somehow improve the flow/appearance of the pantry, refrigerator niche and mudroom. I've received great advice from the Houzz Community--I will post pics afterwards. Someone above mentioned that the above photo was the Model Home's kitchen--that is not the case--the Model Home's Kitchen is below: (this upgraded kitchen was not available for my model--the photo above IS THE ONLY AVAILABLE UPGRADE for my model which is why I am not happy.)
  • Sue Hofbauer
    9 years ago
    I agree with the post about using it for a year before changing anything. If you place a long narrow farmhouse table with some beautiful chairs to complement your cabinet color, and a beautiful lighting fixture above it, and a nice area rug, it will take the focus off the 'openness' of the area by creating a 'wall', and it will appear cozier. Then you can take your time to make more expensive design decisions.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I have two questions. Will there be doors on the pantry and on the opening to the garage?
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    sandraclark, yes both the pantry and the mudroom have a door but they are hard to see in the photo.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Good I think that will help your situation. It is nice that your fridge is recessed & not sticking out like a sore thumb. I'm thinking once you are in you will learn to love the attributes of your new kitchen & with all the suggestions you have received, you will be able to make some simple changes to make it work & look better for you.

How lucky to be moving into a new house, although you have had to suffer a lot of misgivings & poor coordination with your contractor. Half the posts (or more) in this string you can eliminate because people haven't really taken the time & energy to truly understand your predicament. If nothing else, this site has helped you to vent your frustrations & it does seem that you may be able to use a few suggestions to your advantage. Make it work for you.
  • Donna Curry
    9 years ago
    I like the layout! It looks like you will have a nice walk in pantry and you have a great work triangle. Seems standard... My advice would be two fold - by stools for the island that slide under and don't have a back. That way, when not in use, you can slide them under and hide them and they aren't taking up more walking space. Also, just wait until you move in and give the kitchen a try. You'll see what works and what doesn't and then you'll know what needs to be changed. You may be surprised!
  • Jen L
    9 years ago
    I think the kitchen in the photo looks off because of the model of fridge they've put in there. With a nicer looking fridge you'd probably feel a lot better about it, the model we visited when building our home had the exact same problem (we bought a much nicer looking French door model for our own home). My old house had a cabinet built around the fridge, I think you could find a carpenter that could do a nice job of 'encasing' it for you and framing the surround.
  • Jen L
    9 years ago
    The fridge in the first photo is a $600 rental home fridge, the one in the model home is a $6,000+ gourmet fridge. It really makes a huge difference in the feel of it.
  • PRO
    Бахтинов Николай архитектор-дизайнер
    9 years ago
    I would rotate 90' island stools in front of camera. Above fridge is too dark. I would remove or repaint or add some bright curtains above fridge
  • Amanda Roderick
    9 years ago
    Wow I would be happy to have such a nice kitchen! Beautiful dark woods, maybe you need to find a wall colour. Try natural table linens, earthy texture like baskets to soften it.
    allenpagold thanked Amanda Roderick
  • Simon James
    9 years ago
    The layout is ok-I think if you have spec'd lighter cabinets and different granite, add in a very nice backsplash and improve the lighting, and I am betting it would be a massive improvement. That kitchen is just a soulless design. So bland.
  • PRO
    3dview
    9 years ago
    hi
    My name is Lukasz. I am an architect but I do renderings. If you need help whit design, colors, materials let me know. I can do for you nice looking rendering, we can test different looks, colors and then you can start to change your kitchen. I do i realistic job and not expensive. Please check my work:
    www.wojluk.carbonmade.com
    and when you are ready just let me know
    thank you
    Lukasz
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    sorry, I haven't read all the (many) comments, but I'm not sure what the main problem is (other than this isn't what you were expecting in your mind). But don't fear this photo/kitchen does look pretty sad, yours won't.

Are you afraid you don't have enough storage space? If that is the case, I think you will have enough, because you have a pantry, where you can store appliances, platters, etc. Unless of course, you have a lot of stuff. I hope the cupboards have pull out shelves and other conveniences, that will help, and I hope the pantry has a door, perhaps there's a pocket door we can't see? Unless you're a cook who has a jillion appliances and things, or ten kids, or..... I think you'll be fine.

As for the layout, it's fine. The refrig is close to the ovens and cooktop, so that seems to work. I see what you mean about the island overhang being near the refrig - that's odd. But in my opinion, the island is the right size, the overhang should be on the side facing away from the kitchen, so that when your family and friends are there, they can sit on the outside of the kitchen and be out of your way while you cook and prepare things.

Otherwise, it sounds like you got the taller cabinets (thank goodness) that go to the ceiling, as well as a wider cooktop. I hope you also got undercounter lighting, perhaps some nice pendants and a much nicer light fixture than in the photo. Perhaps a pretty backsplash, too? Perhaps not a stainless steel refrig that sticks out like a sore thumb?

This business about "gourmet" kitchens though, what a crock. All that does is place images in people's minds about what they should look like, I hate it when builders set up expectations. They should just call them "Layout #1" Layout #2" and tell it like it is! A gourmet is a person, not a kitchen. You can be a gourmet in any kitchen, it doesn't have to cost $100,000!
  • PRO
    Inspired Interiors LLC, Rebecca
    9 years ago
    What have you decided to do?
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We plan to keep our costs low, for now, by adding a pencil glaze, dark brown/espresso, to the cabinets; taking the cabinets to the ceiling; add legs to the island and add trim to the refrigerator niche--replacing cabinet with open shelf-- to give the refrigerator a built-in look. The kitchen will also have , double ovens, 3 pendant lights over the island, a 6 burner cooktop, granite countertops, a SS hood and a tile backsplash. The kitchen is still in progress, here is the latest pic:
  • Laura Olson
    9 years ago
    So after all, no change of layout. Best wishes.
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Laura, changing the layout was too costly. We are taking the advice of others to make small changes and live with it for awhile to see what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the well wishes.
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    akallen, looking good! Much better with lighter cabinets!

So, after looking at the refrig niche, it looks goofy to me. I think because they've recessed the cabinets. It wouldn't look so weird if the cabinets and trim were flush with the wall. That could probably be done pretty easily.

You've also noted - a couple of times - molding and corbels and that sort of detail. Those can be added to give you the look you want. One place to do that is up above, once you raise your cabinets. I would advise placing them 4 to 6" below the ceiling and filling the gap in between with thick crown molding.

Corbel-type supports can be added to the island - where it holds up the island top. They can match the legs.

Oh, and your idea of a hidden door (with cabinet front or chalkboard front) for the pantry or mudroom door. You can buy chalkboard paint - and paint one, or part of one of your doors with that. (check with Benjamin Moore).

I really do think this will be fine. Plenty of space once you walk into that pantry! Keep posting pics.
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, that wall with the refrigerator is what started all of this...I've added MANY gray hairs trying to come up with a FIX :).
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    have the builder pull that cabinet forward. Or do it yourself, it's a simple fix. Little things like this make a big difference. No need to reinvent the wheel (or redesign the kitchen). As a single lady who has renovated two houses, I swear, I'll come over and help you myself! Damn those guys, I can't tell you how many contractors I've pushed out the door.......
  • Blaze and Piper's Mom
    9 years ago
    I agree...much nicer with white perimeter cabinets! When you say you will use pencil glaze, are you thinking of tracing the recesses with a marker? I've seen inexpensive cabinet makers use this technique and I don't think it looks good. You can't really simulate a true glazed finish. Besides, will you still love it in 10 years when the glazed cabinet has gone out of style? White painted cabinets, sans glaze, will always be stylish!
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    Blaze's Mom - hey now, let's don't crush her spirits any more than necessary. This lady needs some happy sauce!
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks kmkane!! Blaze's Mom, yes, I only want glaze in the crevices, not the entire cabinet. The white looks a little plain to me... I plan to have it professionally done because I would probably make a mess of things, LOL!! Maybe I'll feel differently once the cabinet pulls/knobs are added, along with the rest of the appliances. I'll most definitely post pics.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I agree with kmkane- have those cabinets moved forward;)
  • graceous
    9 years ago
    I like that you are raising your cabinets to the ceiling because that will make a big difference. You don't really need the wide crown molding unless you just want it because the small molding looks fine when you take your cabinets to ceiling.
  • PRO
    Rob's renovations
    9 years ago
    I don't see sink / cook top but I would turn island if possible not a good working triangle for the size of house I wouldn't have put island / would made that neat wall like peninsula with seating in other room this layout is not thought through to well if your kitchen isn't set in stone I would layout different
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Rob. The cooktop is not yet installed but it will be in the open space in the base cabinets, aligned with the island. The sink is on the wall that opens to the morning room. It is too late to work with the layout so I will have to live with it for now. I'm not too concerned with the working triangle because the kitchen in my last home had a similar layout with the cook top, sink and refrigerator and it didn't bother me much. I think that it will be OK after I make a few additional changes.
  • urmikhatri
    8 years ago

Hi Akallen228,

Have you made the changes or moved in? I would love to see how you have your kitchen setup.

Thanks

• allenpagold
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Urmikhatri,

Yes, we have moved in and I've been able to make a few changes to the kitchen. I have to say that I am grown to love the layout--I have plenty of storage space. I am in the process of getting the backsplash installed. As soon as it is complete, I will post pics. Thanks for following up.

• urmikhatri
    8 years ago

Hi Akallen28,

Not to be a pest but was wondering if you will be able to post some photos of completed kitchen?

• allenpagold
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My apologies for the delay in posting a pic of the finished product. Here are a couple of photos of my finished kitchen taken on the day of the back splash installation. We made "inexpensive changes" and I am now happy with the finished product. Still searching for a rug for the dining table and art work for wall...

• urmikhatri
    8 years ago
    Thanks akellen. I think your kitchen looks beautiful. Thanks again for posting pics.
    allenpagold thanked urmikhatri
  • Tina Ri
    8 years ago

Wow @akallen228. I love the changes. Your new kitchen looks great! I'm also buying a new construction home, not by K. Hov (though they are building homes just down the street).

Is there any way you could post a close up picture of your new cabinets and countertops? I'm a fan of the mixed finish cabinetry but am having a hard time picturing what the final result would look like in MY kitchen and no amount of Houzz photos will help me.

From what I can tell, there are some slight differences -- you have antique white cabinets, I have winter white. You have Venetian Gold granite, I am considering Giallo Ornamental. Also, slightly unrelated, how do you like your floors? I assume they are engineered wood, with or without a bevel??

Anyway, thanks for the update!!

allenpagold thanked Tina Ri
  • pcmom1
    8 years ago

Love it! The dark island with the white cabinets!

allenpagold thanked pcmom1
  • allenpagold
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Tina Ri here are earlier photos prior to the changes. I hope that they help. The Venetian Gold granite is actually darker than most that I have had in the past--has much more gold in it. I would've preferred more of the lighter beige/creams but I was not able to select my granite slab. Your selections will be beautiful.

Also, I love the floors because they add a lot of warmth to the space. They are an engineered scraped wood. However, please note that they show dust/dirt/footprints like you wouldn't believe so be prepared to use the microfiber broom often. I have a central vac sweeper so it is pretty easy :).

• allenpagold
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tina Ri, I found a couple of pics of the finished kitchen that show the cabinets a little better...

• mrjenk
    8 years ago

Love the redesign. If I may ask, what was your solution for the microwave? I don't see it in the final pictures that you posted. Thanks.

• allenpagold
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The top appliance is an Advantium Convection Microwave Oven (GE) which serves as both an oven and a microwave. The builder was not able to incorporate a microwave into the island. Thanks for your comment and question.

• Kathy
    7 years ago
    Looks great. It is nice the stove backsplash is a focal rather than a big refrigerator. I think the changes you made were beneficial. Enjoy!
    allenpagold thanked Kathy
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.