joannelim

Need Help on Colour Painting

joannelim
7 years ago
Our new house is going to painting soon, I have on idea at this moment, I want to go for simple and nice colour.....any suggestion !!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    7 years ago
    I agree with painting the rest of the house white or neutral first except for the kitchen which you should have picked out all the finishes already and hopefully give you some color direction.

Or do you have any existing furniture that you are planning to use in this house? Try using those colors for inspiration.
    Best Answer
  • charleee
    7 years ago
    Do you have an absolutely set design plan for each of the rooms already? Probably not, if you're like me. I would have everything painted off white, just to get paint on the walls. Then as you decorate each room, you can easily change the paint color. That will save a lot of brain-drain for right now!
  • mccutcheon1
    7 years ago
    One refinement on the all white solution: get three distinct whites for walls, ceiling, and trim. While you are considering marine-gloss magenta for the dining room, you will feel less as though you are a prisoner in a stark white box.

Benjamin Moore has some lovely, non-stark whites and off whites in their classic whites group. Their historical collection is particularly soothing, including:
    Concord Ivory
    Monterey White
    greys
    Edgecomb Gray
    Wickham Gray (very pale)
    Stonington Gray (a little darker)
    Revere Pewter (warm)
    Coventry Gray (neutral)
    pale yellows
    Windham Cream
    Hepplewhite Ivory

and plenty of interesting beiges.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    7 years ago
    Are you in a location where you can buy Sherwin-Williams paints or Benjamin Moore paints? Both or just one? I don't want to suggest exact colors if they are not available to you.
  • lepstein
    7 years ago
    My walls are Benjamin Moore dance de Soleil (rich yellow). I love the colour. It truly makes me want to dance. Can't quite figure out furniture, tho. Not white as it is the most used room. Not sorry I didn't go neutral.
  • joannelim
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Too bad at my area only can get Nippon or Dulux
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago
    I do not have access to those paint brands. Therefore, I suggest that a good neutral for you would be the color of a mushroom, the off white kind that to my mind is actually a light taupe, shading to a medium taupe. I would paint the walls and ceiling mushroom and the trim a nice white.
  • Elise
    7 years ago
    Depending on your climate and how much sun you receive, may I suggest a warmer neutral for a cooler, cloudier climate, or if you are in a sunny climate, think about cooler tones.

My personal preference lies with a soft, buttery yellow or lighter cream. Living in Oregon - many cloudy days. Otherwise I have seen some lovely soft grays and pale aquas that would work well also. Hopefully we are trending away from a lot of the beiges. (I do love the cocoa tan colors though.)
  • tandanewap407
    7 years ago
    Go with neutrals (beige, taupes, whites...). Neutrals will allow you to play bold colours and patterns into the room through decor and furniture (and switch it up without having to repaint). whites with hints of grey work well with most colours (for example, cascade mountains by benjamin moore paints), as well as whites with hints of yellow (example, feather down by benjamin moore paints).
Singapore
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.