nddonahoo

Same rug in 2 rooms?!

nddonahoo
9 years ago
Hi,
I have adjoining living and dining areas. I have a rug for the living room, but having a hard time finding one for dining room that won't fight the LR one. The edge of one will be about 6' from the edge of the other, do they are close. The rug I have now would work in either area, is it a mistake to just buy a second rug like the one I have? Photo shows LR/DR area. Thank you!!

Warm regards,
Frustrated rug shopper

Comments (67)

• Jamie
    9 years ago
    Arearugstyles.com cheaper than overstock.
    nddonahoo thanked Jamie
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I agree with tennisanyone - you may not need a dining rug. Since it should be 4' wider and longer than the table top, and still not run into walls or furniture on the walls, I think it may be too crowded to put one in the dining. If you do have room for it, can you find one that reverses the color of the living rug? it would have a light center and dark border with a similar floral pattern.
    nddonahoo thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Related Discussions

Living room ideas

Q

Comments (6)
    HI -- Great windows !! Full white drapes right across the whole window wall , full length ceiling to floor and wall to wall . Long low 3 or 4 seat sofa or square sectional in white (leather or fabric ?) and a swivel chair or two in black (leather or fabric ?) Have the sofa and chair-s in either material just not both the same . A long reclaimed /distressed wood dining room table -- you need the wood for a bit of warmth in the room. Modern white and chrome chairs and maybe two funky statement chairs for each end of the table.Too cold and flat looking to have total black and white. An area rug for living room area -no rug under dining room table. The area rug could be one with a salt and pepper texture or a chevron pattern or similar . Then silver accents as in side table bases with glass tops and lamps . Then some big colorful modern art.
    ...See More

Need help on the furniture layout for open plan living room

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for your comments, its great to discuss with houzers! You are so right @decoenthusiaste the view is beautiful and one reason why I chose the apartment. the room is longer than it is wide, and I wanted the kitchen/bar to be included in the seating so the attached pic is how I was planning to lay it out. @cdrdesign I can't/change the table, its a gorgeous mahogany piece I had custom made and one I see keeping for some years yet! I dont plan a TV in this room, will put it in another room. This room in for living and entertaining guests. Sorry I dont have layout software, so you will have to make do with my scribbles using powerpoint! Could really do with help on choosing the light fitting in place of the central fan- what would look nice here or should I wait till the furniture gets here to choose the light to match?
    ...See More

Clueless on rug color! Help me find my perfect rug!

Q

Comments (27)
    You already have your accent colour as your sofa pillows (log roll pillows). I would take one of them shopping with me to get a rug that has that colour in it. It doesn't need to be a lot of that colour (I love the idea of burgandy rug here...but it might be too much with your monotone scheme). You can find a large rug that incorporates that red/raspberry in it so that you have a colour that is now your accent.
    ...See More

Please help me with 2 questions on this bathroom!

Q

Comments (13)
    I take it this isn't your bathroom. The glass could be handmade lead light which means bespoke by someone who makes lead light windows or it could be a transfer applied to a plain glass window. Check on ebay or online sticker/transfer stores for similar. I've never seen a piece like that in Australia so I'm thinking this might be an American antique. It's not normal to put an expensive antique piece in a bathroom and if you did it would be best in a bathroom that only has minimal use. And you would want to have a lot of good exhaust extraction to get rid of moisture. If you picked up one of those repro Indonesian mahogany pieces you would be spending a lot less money and might regard the piece as expendable. You can buy wood hardening sprays that resist moisture from the hardware store and spray the carcass (all the unstained pieces inside) with this stuff to resist moisture. You'd still need a good exhaust system however and keep the room well aired.
    ...See More
  • Jamie
    9 years ago
    Wow. Got me this time sacapuntaslapioz!
    nddonahoo thanked Jamie
  • hthornton01
    9 years ago
    Hello! You have a beautiful home already, but if you think a dining room rug would make it look more complete, you might even try a solid neutral rug to reflect one of the colors in your rug, but not draw a lot of attention to itself. (i.e. black, beige, or even a natural sisal)
    nddonahoo thanked hthornton01
  • baggie2
    9 years ago
    What an excellent suggestion Iperna! We remodeled, eliminating wall to wall carpeting, with hardwood in living and dining rooms. Thought I wanted area rugs in both rooms, but couldn't decide on one for dining room so was just waiting. We love the bare hardwood in the dining room for easy of cleaning and movement of chairs at the table. Give it a try both ways per Iperna.
    nddonahoo thanked baggie2
  • Liz H
    9 years ago
    Judy Cook Interiors said everything I wanted to say. My opinion: Listen to her!

As to the argument for no rug at all.... Well, sure, that might be easier. But I personally believe that no matter how splendid a hardwood floor might be, it's still a mere backdrop for a gorgeous oriental.

Good luck!
    nddonahoo thanked Liz H
  • Liz H
    9 years ago
    My own non-scientific process for choosing coordinating Oriental rugs is to cross my eyes when looking at Rug #1. I won't be able to discern the pattern, but I will have an impression of color. If the impression reads crimson and navy, then Rug #2 should give me the same impression under the same cross-eyed conditions.

When looked at normally, the rugs will be different in design. No two hand-knotted Orientals are ever identical. But once I know that the two rugs work for color, I can move on to other considerations (size, quality, condition, etc.).

I'm a Persian rug addict, not a designer, but there's no question but that my non-matching rugs "go"together very well.
    nddonahoo thanked Liz H
  • baggie2
    9 years ago
    Lizzie91001, I am also a fan of Oriental rugs and have a runner, a round, and a rectangle oriental rug in my kitchen, all different but I agree that they just seem to go together. However, for the convenience of young children and very senior citizens (mother-in-law will be 101 this year), as well as those who are frail; I opt for no rug so they can seat themselves comfortably and move about easily. I like the look of a rug, but our guests need to be accommodated.
    nddonahoo thanked baggie2
  • Liz H
    9 years ago
    You are absolutely right, Baggie2. I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis and was told that I needed to rethink area rugs. I hate that advice, but then I'm not particularly fond of reality.
  • baggie2
    9 years ago
    Sorry to hear that, lizzy. I guess we will just have to appreciate and vicariously enjoy some thing we love. Hope you get along well!
  • miromostafa
    9 years ago
    hi ! yes it would look more elegant to have another rug. It shoud not be totally identical to the LR room rug but it HAS to have the same tones and similar colors and style. hope this helps
    nddonahoo thanked miromostafa
  • PRO
    Acanthus Interiors
    9 years ago

I agree with Decoenthusiast. A second rug is not absolutely necessary because the living area is already defined and separated from the dining area by the existing rug. However, if you have your heart set on a second rug, reverse the colors.

Toula Favreau, Acanthus Interiors, Vancouver, Canada

nddonahoo thanked Acanthus Interiors
  • ninac1021
    9 years ago
    how do you know what size rug to buy? is there rule of thumb?
  • Joy
    9 years ago
    I have to add my 2 cents worth. I understand the desire for a rug in your dining room, but it looks like your chairs will not move easily on a rug. Iperna's suggestion is great! I bet you will find that when pulling the chair out from the table to sit, the back legs of your chairs on a couple sides of the table will get caught on the rug when trying to move into the table while seated. Experiment with the rug you now have. An acquaintance, who is a designer, wanted carpeting to soften a dining room she was designing. She opted for runners placed behind the chairs a distance away for easy mobility. It was a HUGE dining room. :-)
    nddonahoo thanked Joy
  • PRO
    Belenky Interiors, LLC
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Your dining room space is beautiful without adding a rug. The lovely rug in your living room anchors that specific space. People often just sit on a living room rug in lieu of chair etc. No one will ever be sitting on your dining room floor. (smiles) . Below is a project my firm did. Please note (no rug in dining area) (sisal rug in living room) Both spaces connect.
    nddonahoo thanked Belenky Interiors, LLC
  • mdcathy
    9 years ago
    I actually have an indoor/outdoor rug under my dining room table---cleans easier if there is a spill. As long as the colors are similar, different rugs work okay together---I actually have 3 different rugs between my living room, leading into the dining room and then under the table---and I like how the patterns change but have similar colors to connect them.
    nddonahoo thanked mdcathy
  • nddonahoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your time and comments. I greatly appreciate all the input. I personally like the look and feel of having a rug under the table. Because what I have had there in the past has been a very low pile, I have not noticed any difficulty with moving chairs. We only use the dining room for special occasions, so it is looked at more often than actually used ;-) The rug that is in the living room is from the Karastan Persian Renaissance collection (black/ivory). I really like the idea of something that either reverses the colors in the same style rug or at least finding just a similar rug. I found something close and similar, but a bit different. Wondering if they are too similar?

• coastalsher
    9 years ago
    Everyone's comments are wonderful and nddanohoo probably is overwhelmed. My 2 cents. Two different rugs - maybe similar background color or maybe not (individual decision). Have the area rug small enough that only front legs of chairs are on it. Then when you get up much easier to slide chairs back. I have open plan although house is 50 years old. Living room rug in front of TV area modern beige waves. Rug under coffee table in front of sofa/loveseat beige leather rug. Rug under round dining room table is round beige and neutral color persianish. Going into galley kitchen runner with a rooster in the middle predominantly black but once again a number of beiges and neutrals. On going theme is neutrals and pop with accessories. Dark brown laminate floors run throughout the home (consistent).
    nddonahoo thanked coastalsher
  • ljfq
    9 years ago

Different rugs will define different spaces. They can have some subtle complimentary elements, if they must, but matching rugs would be infinitely less interesting, IMHO.

• prettylinens
    9 years ago
    I think you need a no-pattern rug. How about straw color sisal or something similar?
  • coastalsher
    9 years ago
    Pretty linens - Sisal would work if room not too formal but looks pretty form IMHO. Solid rug would work too!
  • pmhd2
    9 years ago
    My daughter has lovely old hardwood floors with no rug under the table and although it looks beautiful, there is noticable wear under the chairs used regularly, yes, even with chair floor proctors. It has been costly to get her floors redone.....just saying.
  • pmhd2
    9 years ago
    ^^^^^sorry, proctors = protectors.....silly auto correct!
  • User
    9 years ago

beautiful rooms just the way they are, but if you really really want a rug under the dining table I would like something different- I love the idea of a sisal- I love the texture and the neutral color would not compete with the LR rug. I don't think the sisal is too casual for the formal DR- it's a refreshing juxtaposition and solution to your home looking too stuffy and rigid. If you don't like the idea of the sisal rug, how about a no pattern off white plushy-ish, shag-ish rug, again to add fun texture and pick up on the ivory in the LR rug---like the runner on your stairs, but shaggier and lighter. Good luck/lovely home!

• riversidevickie
    9 years ago
    We just bought a VRBO in Colorado and I had the same situation. I found a wonderful orange mixed-colored shag rug and put it in both rooms ... Th living room walls are a medium beige and I dared to paint the dining room orange (found the orange color in a HOUZZ article:-) It looks amazing and everyone loves the rug(s). I made certain I could return the second rug if it looked weird but it really is charming. At first I thought it was perfect "for a VRBO" but probably not anyone's family home but after seeing it I would absolutely do it in my family home. You can see pictures at our VRBO by going to: VRBO.com/664086
  • cathiewannabe
    9 years ago

When we put the great room/kitchen on the house, I found 2 same 8x10 kilims at TJMAXX. One is in the Dining area and one in the Living area of the Great room. That was 1996 and they have held up well on our cherry floors, and we have not tired of them. But here's the deal....in my formal DR, I have no carpet over the hard wood floor (only room w/out an oriental, tough as the room is 12x25 and the table is 12' long), And I like it just fine too. I am nuts for Orientals. I have 5 smaller ones in our MBR, they are similar in color, same in other rooms of the house, LR Loft,laundry, walkin closet, and halls. So the identical ones in the GR was a fluke, just go for something matchie...Like the pattern (bokara runners in the halls are reverse colors), or colors. Buy what you love. Also make sure you can return it! ps.....all the rugs are wool and every several years, they go out on the driveway and get a good scrubbing and rinsing and dry on the grass in the back yard. They are all still fine. I probably would not do that to a real $$$$ antique rug. PPs re-looking just think of putting a small rug under the side board.

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

Your dining room is beautiful without a rug.

• PRO
    Nazmiyal Collection
    9 years ago

Decorating and Interior Design With Antique Rugs I would strongly suggest NOT getting two exact rugs!!! I am including a link to some articles about decorating with antique rugs.

• Sharon Hanes
    9 years ago

I agree with Judy Cook's suggestions. It's personal of course, but I really love the added ambiance and feel of anchoring the entire living/dining space with coordinating area rugs. I shopped a long time trying to get a nice complimenting arrangement for my living/dining area and ended up with similar tones, size and 'complimenting' (not clashing or matching) rugs. It was a tough time. I also had the challenge of trying to bring color over existing dark carpet. Since you have little color in the living room you might bring that into the dining area and add pillows, throws,,etc of the same color in the living room to pull together the two spaces. I found both rugs at Pottery Barn on sale for around $700 each. Good quality and nice color.

• rjcjmill
    9 years ago

I prefer dining rooms without rugs. I have hardwood without a rug and it joins my LR which does have a rug. It's much easier to keep clean and doesn't present an obstacle to pulling the chairs in and out. Your space is lovely just the way it is.

9 years ago
    ویلای
  • laragazza
    9 years ago

I agree with others about no rug in the DR. It looks spectacular just the way it is, but then I am a bare floor person. Consider how much easier to clean without the rug, and as someone else said more comfortable pushing in and back from the table, you don't need to vacuums to clean if you keep the floor bare, and there is no contesting the beauty of the bare floor.

Having said that, I bought two identical rugs several years ago and put one in the LR and one in the DR, though they were much more separated than your layout. The designer said no no don't do that, but I did anyway and enjoyed them very much for a long time till I decided to change the DR furniture. I put that second rug in my storage room, and only recently found that I needed it again for another space. I was so glad to have it because it is a rug I just love.

So if you really want matching rugs I say get the second one, put it down, and see how it looks and feels. You obviously have good taste and will know if it works well or not. My rule of thumb in doing my own decorating is something I got from my favorite designer: Put the element in its place and if it says YES! then it's a go. If it does not say yes, then it is not a go. There is no maybe. It is either yes, or no go. Conversely, if you like something or think you like something, take it away and see if you miss it or not. If you miss it, then it needs to be there. If you don't, it doesn't. I've found these little tips work very well. Bless that designer! to get a good one is a wonderful thing.

• laragazza
    9 years ago

oops, TWO vacuums

• lnatorski
    9 years ago

Personally, I dislike a matchy, matchy look. If you feel you would like another one, find one that will pick up some of the colors in your existing one.

• whistlerhouse
    9 years ago
    I find a rug in dining area wreaks havoc with dining chairs. Creates difficulty sliding chair back and over tome causes joints to loosen as the surface the chair is on is not a solid one. I would not use a rug at all.
  • youngn1ina
    9 years ago
    I'd get a rug like you have but in the same family and style for example instead of a dark interior and light border, get a light interior and a dark border.
  • chrissiekirk
    9 years ago

Yes, it can be awkward moving a dining room chair back when carpet is underfoot, BUT I hate the sound more of a chair being scraped back on tile...like finger nails on chalk board! I would definitely have a rug under the dining set in almost like colors. Would anchor the room, the space, the table and chairs and look lovely.

• qosj
    9 years ago

Surround yourself with things *you* love, and you will never regret your design choices. Having 2 rugs alike is a perfect example of this. I would surely have a rug under the dining chairs and table, although it may be a larger or smaller size (depending on the room size), rather than the same size. Not only would it anchor the table and chairs, it would also help soften the area, not only in looks, but also in noise...it can get noisy in a room with ceramic or stone tiles. Quietness has a softening, warm, intimate & welcoming effect.

• User
    9 years ago
    You have a beautiful home! I see you have high ceilings. We also have high ceilings, and an echo effect because of it. We don't particularly care for carpeting or rugs, because we have pets, but they do add softness to the rooms and reduce the echo. So if you find that conversation in your DR has a strange hollow sound, you should consider an area rug. You might consider taking a color from your LR rug, and get a no patterned rug for the DR, since you won't see much of it.
  • Lauren Burton
    9 years ago
    I'd buy the same rug in an oval or round shape or buy a slightly different rug pattern with the same colors. Try rugs.com
  • mitchdesigns2000
    9 years ago

As a designer with 30 years of experience working with and
    designing Oriental rugs there a few options I’m recommending. First you
    can use the same or similar design but with a center medallion. Second
    you can use the same or similar design but reverse the colors where the field
    is ivory and the border is black. Third you can use a different design but similar
    in scale and balance and colors. Lastly, there's no rule that says you
    can't use the same rug especially in open floor plans. Nejad Rugs www.nejad.com

• riversidevickie
    9 years ago
    First of all .. I really do understand the value of a good designer ... They have seen so many more designs "in action" where families actually live with the final outcome. I do not understand "design rules" .... everyone lives differently and enjoys different designs and rules are made to be broken. In the past I have bought more expensive (not too expensive) rugs and what I have come to realize is I get bored with rugs and pillows and paint colors after a period of time so I now buy very inexpensive rugs that look wonderful but will only wear well for a number of years ... Certainly not hand-it-down-to-he-kids sort of rugs. We recently bought a Vacation Rental in Colorado and I bought TWO shaggy looking rugs for the living room and dining room and they are funky and fun and bright and welcoming for our guests ... the comments have been great .... toss the "rules" and love your home ... and by all means .... have FUN!
  • User
    9 years ago

The room is beautiful so you obviously have an eye for design. The main issue on this decision is whether you actually have room in the dining room for a rug. The rug should ideally extend 30" on each side of the table. You could get away with 24" but no less. The practical issue of pushing back a dining chair without falling off the rug with the back legs of the chairs requires this allowance....no exceptions!

You want your living room to be more visually important than the dining room and because your living rug is large, you can accomplish this and still have a rug in the dining room. I like the idea of using the same colors in a coordinating but similar pattern.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Your Favorite Room By Cathy Zaeske
    9 years ago

Sisal rug (for all the reasons already listed) with a black band, no question. Just be sure to watch the undertones as it needs to work with the pinkish floor tile and the goldeny curtains. The black band will help with that transition and tie into the other rug. Here is an easy peasy retail option from Pottery Barn. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/color-bound-sisal-rug-black/

• latifeh hammad
    9 years ago

Use this one in the dining room and buy a smaller one if not the same design the color and use it in the living room

6 years ago

Why do people put rugs in dining rooms? It makes it almost impossible to get in and out of your chair because it won't slide on a rug. And when food is dropped and spilled, it makes a mess of the rug.

• PRO
    Nejad Rugs
    6 years ago

Many professional interior designers and clients choose to use oriental rugs in the dining room because it visually and
    aesthetically defines the space and adds beautiful texture and design.
    Most people also find that it is more comfortable to have a rug on the
    floor rather than sitting in chairs on bare floor. Additionally rugs
    help dampen noise levels.If the chairs do not move easily there
    are many castors available for almost every chair leg. And finally
    most quality Oriental rugs will clean up easily with spills if treated
    in a timely manner.

• mdefree
    3 years ago

Same rug will work! Rules follow...open concept: entry way and great room open to one another can have the same rug. Kitchen room can also all match in the kitchen. But, no no to dining room and kitchen. It breaks the flow.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.