drekrajec

Entryway ideas!??

drekrajec
9 years ago
I am looking for ideas to spruce up my entryway. I have 2 story house and the entryway is the entire 2 stories so very tall. There are these 2 mirrors with shelves on them on each side of the front doors and I just don't know how to decor them. Eventually these walls will be repainted. Not looking for huge contracting job such as removing them. Thanks!!

Comments (67)

• Ben Miller
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If it were me, I would remove the mirrors, paint the drywall in the niches black like the floors, and have a recessed LED shining down onto a piece of art on each side (portrait oriented rectangular for a wall mounted painting, or a sculpture of some sort sitting on the ledge itself), which would stand out against the dark background. Then, I would paint the trim, frame, and jamb of the door (and possibly the frame of the window up top and the trim of the arched openings) black as well to both spruce up the somewhat dated look of the doors/sidelights, and pull some contrast into those giant two story walls that are all one color. Also, it would help the frames not look like they were just the baseboard wrapped around the openings and door. In and of itself, I think the baseboard is actually pretty nice, but let a door frame be a door frame my man! ;) Also, keeping the contrast to black and the color of the paint would help emphasize the bold colors of the rug on the floor. Maybe that's too much of a contemporary direction when considering the architecture of the house...but that's the way I typically lean when I design. Plus, it would help the rug and black tile look a little more effectively juxtaposed against the traditional foyer feel that they currently do.

Anyway, food for thought. It's your house, and I have no idea if you built the home or purchased it, and therefore have no idea what your design style biases are, but that's what I would do if it were my home. :)

Good luck with your project and I hope you are able to find an idea you like! Post pictures once it's done!

• beckysimpson1
    9 years ago

I see a white door and I want it painted black. No colors anymore, I want them to turn black.

• Related Discussions

Living Area Layout - Dilemma

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Dagobert Duck (interesting name), I am assuming that this is a townhouse in Asia, as you mention the dry kitchen and wet kitchen (terms used mostly in Singapore) and also from the visible lift on the plan that you shared. I would definitly advice you to keep the dry kitchen and place the dining table close to the dry kitchen or close to the bay window on the left. The space here is rather large and can easily accommodate a regular 2 metre table with 8 chairs. If you are concerned about the view of dining table as you enter the house, you could always place a round table near the entrance to block off the view. I agree with Elaine about placing the furniture away from walls. Place a bunch of fresh flowers or art/sculpture above the round table like in a hotel entrance. So the the first view you see when you enter the house is the table with flowers. Its difficult to give you any further advice as we have no idea what your final vision of the place is? Feel free to contact us in Singapore if you need further advice? Hope you will have the home of your dreams soon.
    ...See More

Need help designing my corridor

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi razis_wwf13, here are two articles on Houzz to get you started with. Although they are international, some ideas are applicable to the HDB context. My favourite is to use the corridor as an artwork gallery with some proper lighting :) [10 Clever Tips to Better Use Corridors[(https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/10-clever-tips-to-better-use-corridors-stsetivw-vs~77897314) [Create a Welcoming Hallway When you Don't Have one[(https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/create-a-welcoming-hallway-when-you-dont-have-one-stsetivw-vs~81092193)
    ...See More

How to position my round table?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi 4eva zx, It's not optimum if you don't want to build a bespoke TV wall/console where I've placed the TV here (suggest that you get something where you can swivel the TV towards the sofa, or slightly extend that wall so the TV can be directly in front of the sofa), but in terms of spatial efficiency, your round table would be better placed like so: This is so that it's near the kitchen and you can use it for meals for more than two people. This placement will also allow you to make this family heirloom a visual focal point and conversation piece for your home. If you ever need to use a bigger table for gatherings with more people, you can simply put a rectangular top onto the round table and seat 6-8 people – the placement provides for space that allows this. Find a good ID or decorator who will work towards incorporating this family heirloom in your new home, and you'll be able to enjoy it for years to come. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Space Planning Help-Advice Seek

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Janet, ok I originally sketched on my tab (red) as 1 BR then modified on my phone (blue) for 2Br. hope you’ll get the idea. Master’s with walk-in closet, connected bath with added door (for sharing). kept store at end, open kitchen, Living rm ok to fit a sofa with tv/media cabinet. For dining, I’m seeing to combine your work and dining table. get another similar table to combine with your 1.7 table. (or if budget allows get a long table 1 piece.) dining side you put benches and work side get a high chair. this setting becomes the main feature of your house( my idea only not a rule) the bookshelves be on 1 side and can be longer as needed. hope this brings you more ideas for your new home. cheers! arielc
    ...See More
  • Ben Miller
    9 years ago
    I think Becky sees the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes...
  • drekrajec
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The problem with painting the trim is that it continues through the the entire house. So where do you stop. I like the trim, crown molding lighter. I wish I could picture the door darker.
  • itasf
    9 years ago

The strong colors of the rug is pull your eye to the floor as you enter. The lines of the doors' glass, the grout lines, and the curving lines of the rug are competing for attention. The foyer is too busy. Color the grout lines black. Replace the rug with a black or monochromatic rug that blends in with your black tile. Remove the 90s mirrors and add art. Don't paint the trim.

• PRO
    janis Evans Interior Design
    9 years ago

I'd put a runner on the stairs, a pattern with a black ground. This would tie the room together. As it stands, the stairway isn't connected with the rest of the room. Niches are nice. Even the mirrors could be an advantage by providing reflective light and contrasting depth. Put a pair of floral arrangements in sculptural urns in them and you have an inexpensive solution.

Artwork above the doorway and up the stair wall (incorporating black either in mats or frames) would further contribute to a completed look.

• stacyspanglerjensen
    9 years ago

Paint the doors black! It will be beautiful. Remove the mirrors in the niches, too disco/glam.

• katscorvette
    9 years ago

I so love those doors, but the rug, not so much. I would take out one of the shelves and mirror. Put in a small table or a corner table on the side you take out the shelf. I would paint the trim a dark charcoal. accent lighting in the left shelf. and definitely some type pf runner on the stairs, to tie the room together. Oh and a fabulous light fixture in there!

• lucianasmith
    9 years ago
    I'm sorry but you really should consider removing the mirrors plus shelves to become a flat wall. Hang a painting and/or put a small table there would be perfect & classy. I also agree that the rug looks to modern for this classic hallway. Love the idea of painting the doors in black. Good luck!
  • Mark
    9 years ago

Use your area rug for inspiration and add some lovely hand blown glass to the niches.

• Sharon Church
    9 years ago

I suggest painting the doors black. Put a runner on the stairs,. I would put tall (as possible) matching oriental vases (empty) in the niches. An oriental rug would be nice on the floor. A larger finial on the stair post...such as a glass pineapple shape would be pretty. Maybe farther back in a small hallway you would have space for a console table with mirror above? Or a small console or chest on the wall beneath the stairs. Paint the walls your choice of color, and you will have a beautiful welcoming entryway.

drekrajec thanked Sharon Church
  • PRO
    affordable elegance
    9 years ago
    I love your entry. It's similar to mine. You have to paint the walls. It will never be inviting until you get rid of the sterile white. I'd paint the door a dark charcoal gray and the walls a much lighter gray in the same family. Maybe a hint of brown or green. Just to keep it warm. I would leave in niches. Just remove the mirrors as others suggested. I like the rug. And with more color it won't be such a focal point. Painting the trim would work if the room stops, but most entries are open, so that's tricky. Plus I love gray w light trim.
    drekrajec thanked affordable elegance
  • joy shone
    9 years ago

When I look at the rug I think of glass and chrome - all very modern. The entrance hall is lovely and I do like the wood and doors. A calmer not so busy rug maybe.

• PRO
    Ideas Design Excellence-in Art
    9 years ago

Personally I dont mind the mirrors they seem to me to add a little sparkle and help widen the tall narrow space. I agree with puttun something colorful and sculptural in the niches that plays if the carpet. acouple of peices of art to bring your eye up the walls and down the hall would also help ballance carpet and finish space. Ilove the crisp white mouldings and doors but would set them off by painting the walls one of the light to mid nuetral tones from the carpet. Just be carefull to make sure it works well with the adjacent rooms and is not to heavy. The collor will also set off the lighting and bring your eye up as well. It is hard for me to tell from ththe photos but i would consider having the carpet cut down a bit and rebound so that it lines upb better with the flooring and has some more breathing room around it.

Good luck its a nice space

• chime1
    9 years ago

Hmmm lovely stuff to work with here, beautiful trim, love the niches, the floors, lovely.

I would drape the door way, and match the color to a new entry rug, a little something to soften the niches (greenery, flowers? something fun in a small topiary display?). Consider that with fabric and a rug being reasonably priced, you can change them out for the season, with nice opportunities during the holidays.

The modern rug you have there is arguing with the classic trim work, and the hot pink fighting with the gold tones of the woodwork.

Such a fun space to work with, given it's small space but big impact (how much fun to choose the drapery rod, make that the art piece) nice transition to the window above it. Also consider that this is a transitional space, and will need to relate to the rooms it leads to on either side, but still, what fun space to work with!

I see an ornate wrought iron drapery rod, matching decorative iron draw backs, cascading fabric, a statement rug, oval dark metal planters with humorous topiaries, like horses or dogs or elephants (what fun!) for the niches. Gleeful at the thought of Christmas greenery!

• dufanddunc
    9 years ago

I would stain the doors the same color as the wood floors and banister spindles and I would remove the shelves under the niches and replace them with somewhat larger half moon shelves supported by a center bracket both stained the same color as the doors. The larger shelves would allow for decorative urns, sculpture, large candles etc.. I would then remove the large rug, replace it with a smaller round one in lighter tones and then place a medium sized pedestal table - either in black or the same stain as the wood floors - in the center of the foyer where you could keep an arrangement of flowers. I imagine the chandelier would highlight the table beautifully.

I also agree with itasf, stain the grout black and leave the the trim as is.

• juliasull
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous space! I agree with putting something in the niches - with or without the mirrors. Glass sculptures or maybe vases with flowers. I'm a huge fan of red walls in entryways, especially with black tile floors. But even if you don't go red, you need some paint to make the entryway feel more welcoming.

• llkerscher
    9 years ago

Good morning- beautiful house. We built our house 20 years ago. The one thing I knew I wanted was a black door in the entry. The men all cringed at the thought of "painting" a wooden door, especially black. I've never regretted it. I've changed the look several times as it's always a work in progress (different area rug and accents, paint the interior of the niche). I go for eclectic. When you look through the thousands of pictures in the Houzz vault what catches your eye? This website makes it simple to imagine the look in your house. I think a black door and sidelights would look impressive. A simple fix for the niches would be to simply paint the mirrors (prime and glass paint from Hobby Lobby) or cut and paint a thin piece of posterboard to see if you like the look. Maybe some small spiral topiaries would compliment the elegance of the dining room. These are all really easy inexpensive changes, (a trick I do to determine if I want to paint a certain color is to purchase a large piece of fabric, tablecloth, or curtain panel which can be returned, and drape it in the space for a while to see if I like the color.) Whatever you do I'm sure it will be beautiful, good luck and have fun! I know my entryway isn't for everyone, but I enjoy it- and change it when I don't.

• ann2shop
    9 years ago

Since there is separate family entry, is the rug needed? Could you sell it & live without a rug or get something simple until ready to paint & make the other updates mentioned? If I imagine myself as a guest being greeted at the door, I'd enjoy seeing something welcoming about your family in the niches, foyer, hall, & on the walls going up the stairs. Some ideas that come to mind are photos or other items that reflect your family & your tastes, travels,collections, etc.

• ajsalt
    9 years ago

I love your niches and and the doors. Initially I thought black doors would look great but since the tile is black I do think that would be too much. Once you pick your wall color and paint it will make the niches, doors, and mill work pop and open up so many more possibilities.

• streator
    9 years ago

I think what quite a few of the comments are trying to say is that the rug is awful. Just so out of place. I can barely stand it. I want to visit you and drag it to the basement, or if you must put it in a guest room that is rarely used. I don't know why but I immediately thought of hiring someone to remove the mirrors but put in stain glass. Something that would go with the age of the home itself. I actually like the white entryway, except for the rug. If you are going to keep those doors go with a rug that compliments the doors and make the doors the point of interest. Nice home, congrats.

• PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    9 years ago

Add sculptures to the niches, paint the walls a dark gray, and the moldings around the door white to emphasize the graceful curve. Carry the gray hue on the wall that leads upstairs. With your black floors, the black, gray, and white color scheme will make your entry hall dramatic yet inviting. Note the niches and ceiling in the photo below.

• ohmimix2
    9 years ago
    I believe your foyer is as big as my whole house! Very lovely. I peeked into your beautiful dining room as well. I am thinking "She likes this room. She has it all decorated to HER liking". With that said, and if true, this is what I would start with if you are working with a budget: 1) Roll that fabulous contemporary colourful rug up (after taking photo) and SELL IT! If your dining room is more your style that rug has to go! 2) Leave the niches alone for now. However, search your own home, thrift stores, tag sales, etc and find something that is YOUR family! After all, you will be welcoming your guests through these ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS front doors!! And, since you are not selling your home, it IS ok to say something about who lives in the house! I like the idea of a table of some sorts, but didn't see a coat closet. I am wondering if a rustic bench (just my opinion to "age" the foyer a little) would work. I always love the mixture of rustic and glam!

I, personally, don't get caught up in colour trends because....well they are just that...trends! With tomatoes being thrown at me right now....LOL...I also think painting all that front door black is WAY TOO MUCH! You have black tile floors in a pretty good area. I definitely would down the road as budget fits, put a beautiful runner on the gorgeous staircase to tie into the tile unless you are going to replace them. I WOULD paint the walls a colour that is complimentary to your dining room. Whether you paint it a complimentary shade or a colour or two lighter it will, in my opinion, flow into your other rooms. I definitely would like to see a rug (my preference is something that would be easy enough to clean or at least spot clean) in a more Traditional or Transitional pattern. You stated that the walls will be painted and that is quite a feat being your two story foyer. I almost think I would save painting the doors/windows lastly. Remember, if you place something in the niches, you can always change them out if you are not satisfied! Which brings me to holidays. I have a wonderful bunny in suit holding a dangling carrot which would be AWESOME standing on a couple Easter books to get you through the next couple months. Then fresh flowers will be in season or handpicked from your own garden.....

Have fun! Hope you post a "work in progress" or finished picture of your project!
  • mometz
    9 years ago

All that space is crying for plants. Big ones, cascading ones, flowering sprays of color from your garden or craft store. I will make the entry inviting and warm.

• pmlmll
    9 years ago

I would add matching hardware to the left door to match the right door to balance the doors. Then I would add greenery in both corners, like tall, flowing trees, as they would be reflected in the mirrors. This would soften the foyer. I would also change the rug to be more subdued and more rectangular. Take the red out and find something in grey and blue and cream? Or whatever color that is in the surrounding area for a smooth transition to the other rooms. What is seen as you come inside? This view is important and you want a harmonious effect.

• Bradford Copeland
    9 years ago
    Feng Shui principles indicate that mirrors should NEVER face each other, as this causes energy to get trapped and stagnant which in turn yields negative energy.

Now keep in mind that Feng Shui also ENCOURAGES the strategic placement of a mirror in the entryway of your home. Mirrors invite energy into the space!

I would certainly keep these principles in mind as you surge towards making that parlor fabulous.

PS - The chandelier is an excellent element as it adds balance with the crystals.
  • mkse
    9 years ago
    I agree with everyone who has suggested a new rug. It competes with everything in that foyer. Your architecture is not contemporary.
  • knowingspirit
    9 years ago
    I think the walls need a color to warm up the space. Then the white woodwork will "pop" and give a clean look. I would also remove the mirrors from the niches and paint the backs white for a clean pallet for some tall sculptural pieces of art or floral arrangement. Black doors make a statement and add drama. I painted mine black and I love the look(see photo). It would also carry through with your black floors.
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    I think adding film or a dappled paint finish on the mirrors would keep some of the light and sparkle but end the endless tunnel effect of facing mirrors.wall paper could give quick color and texture. You could switch artwork seasonally in the niches. Potted plants would look good too even if it was just some silk ivy.
  • Linda
    9 years ago

Wow! You certainly have received a lot of recommendations. I am going to write mine to keep a minimum budget in mind. I agree with the poster who commented about the two mirrors facing each other being bad feng shui. It made me feel uncomfortable the moment I saw the pictures. So the mirrors must go, but the nooks are fabulous! Paint the walls a warm light color you like (even just the first floor up to the second floor with molding marking that dividing point to keep costs down), and paint the inside of the nooks the same color, or install complimentary wallpaper. Add greenery or pretty glass art in the nooks, and big, tall plants on either side of your doors. Your moldings and trims are lovely. So are your doors. With black floors, PLEASE don't paint your doors black, too. Perhaps in a contemporary home, but yours is quite traditional... which leads me to my last recommendation. The rug. Oh my gosh... the rug. Please put it elsewhere, sell it, give it to someone with a modern house -- but remove it from that lovely traditional space and bring home a few persian style, or traditional style rugs that YOU like -- and see how they make you feel. Select THE one -- then return the rest. And good luck sorting out all our well-intentioned comments from how you truly feel about designing your lovely entry. You have great bones to work with! We would love to see your "after" pictures! Linda from SF Bay Area

• Shelly Maan
    9 years ago

I think the carpet is very distracting and would remove it completely. I would also paint the walls of the entrance hall with a soft pale yellow and remove the lights in the niches which I find too sharp. A bowl of fresh flowers in each niche would be wonderfully welcoming and the chandelier would be nicer with warmer globes. If you must keep the lights in the niches I would suggest warmer globes as well. My thoughts. Hope it helps.

• chime1
    9 years ago

Tons of great ideas on Houzz under "Mirrored Niche", including glass shelves, wall sconce light fixtures mounted over the mirrors, framing the arch, hanging art in the niche, I might put a dimmer on the light fixture, but I like them lit, rather than shadowy.

Might also be fun to wall paper the inside of the niche, like a trompe L'oeil, without damaging the mirrors. Hanging seasonal wreaths in the niches might be fun too, treating the niches as windows with window boxes and seasonal floral displays. I find the niches an endless opportunity for table scaping in a small transitional space.

Some great ideas here but the space appears appx 5x10? So, not so sure there is room for a center table or huge potted trees. I find this space nicely appointed, well balanced, if I were to make a big change, I would change the black tile floors to something that transitions better to the lovely wood floors in the other rooms.

• beckysimpson1
    9 years ago

The more I see the photos, the more I think the mirrors in the niches have to go.

• stevedea
    9 years ago

The rug should go.... mirrors out - larger shelves with art....good luck

• elean13
    9 years ago
    It is such a beautiful foyer. I like the rug, although it is a bit big, and I agree that the grout would look nicer if it was black. As regards the colour of the door, I would personally choose ... red. The lights in the niches would look nicer if they didn't protrude and a tall vase with flowers or a tall figurine (see photos below) would fill the niche and give more interest to the entryway.
  • drekrajec
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all- lots of new ideas and things to consider. About the RUG- many people seem to hate it. Anyone have examples of what they would put down? The walls will most likely be painted a light tan- very neutral. This entry and then the great room and kitchen connect and they will all be same color. Some of the side rooms are more bold colors. Plus this ceiling is really high so I will have to hire this done and want to stick with a neutral color. So light tan/ brown neural walls and black floors-- what rug would you choose???
  • deb
    9 years ago

I like the niches just not the mirrors---can you take them out and put an art pc on them or something that pops.....and put a bench or table under them? Maybe the school art class would paint a mural inside the niches???? the floors just needs new grout.....doors i would not paint black--wouldn't that be too much black?? How about pulling colors from your other rooms for the rug in muted colors? Maybe a shape of the door and niche frames?

• barrowp
    9 years ago

Wallpapering over the mirrors is a great idea. Select a paper after you find the new rug.

The decor in your entry should give visitors a glimpse of what is to come. The entry should transition smoothly into adjoining spaces by sharing similar design styles and coordinating colors. Right now your very bright, contemporary rug is out of sorts with traditional architecture in the entry and the soft colors and traditional decor in the dining room. Better views of the adjoining spaces would help people come up with ideas for rugs that look like they belong in YOUR house.

Also agree that black grout is smart in the space as it will give you a more neutral foundation on which to build your new look.

• Shelly Maan
    9 years ago

You really don't need a carpet or rug in that area, the tiles are fine as is. Just make sure you have a door mat that's clean and serviceable for guests to wipe their feet before entering.

• beckysimpson1
    9 years ago

A wool Persian carpet with no black in it, or only a tiny bit of black.

• pam h
    9 years ago

I saw a picture, not on house, with hardwood stained black that reminded me of your lovely foyer and that incorporated my color and trim suggestions above. I cannot recall the search I did to land on it and I have been unsuccessful getting back to it. So, here are three picture that when viewed together I hope may give you some ideas.

drekrajec thanked pam h
  • pam h
    9 years ago

Entry Halls & Main Stairs · More Info

Peninsula · More Info

• pam h
    9 years ago

drekrajec thanked pam h
  • drekrajec
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really really like the third one. The rest of my downstairs has beautiful hardwood. This reminds me of my house and what I could do. I never thought about doing a slight darker color in entry way back wall and then lighter, that is what this looks like here.
  • kyddfool
    9 years ago

I like your rug. If it is something you like, disregard others opinion. It makes a statement and if you have a nice painting, coordinating color, then keep it and paint your walls a medium taupe and the woodwork light. Simple elegance .

• blueskiesinNM
    9 years ago

You have a lot of patterns and shapes fighting each other. Large square pattern on the floor tile, smaller diamond patterns in the glass, circular patterns in the rug, line patterns and medallions in your wood trim, arches in your niches. If you look at above photos from Pam H you will see that at least the floors have a flow. Yes I know wood floors have a pattern but it basically to the eye it feels uniform. Coloring the tile grout black would be a big help. No rug or a rug that is monochrome or perhaps like a jute that ties in with wood stairs. I also think a neutral wall color (not white) would be really nice so the trim and doors can stand out. A color that works with your dining room and rest of house. Art hanging in the niches would be nice (sans mirrors) I couldn't find art that would work perfectly. The one below also has too much pattern.

• ftmom
    9 years ago
    Your foyer is really nice. The niches with the mirrors look great with the arched entryways to the other rooms. It's also a good idea to leave at least one of the mirrors because people often like to look at themselves as they enter or leave a home... I really liked the idea of putting the glass cases in the niches and possibly painting the walls a mocha or light gray color. It would look nice against the white doors and trim. A console table or a bench would also look nice under one of the mirrors.
  • sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Chime mentioned wall sconces. These look sharp

http://houzz.com/photos/17940860
  • cparfc438
    9 years ago
    I like the grandeur and styles of your foyer. You said you're not looking for a huge/costly makeover. To that end, how about only painting 2 things: that white heat register at the floor, to match the beigey wood trim color and the white-appearing grout a just a shade or two darker, for just a tad less contrast between it and the black tile? I'd check to see if there is an almond or less white version of the electrical switches and plate to be swapped out--also for less contrast.

If at least one mirror is needed for a last second "check" before heading out the door, which one makes the most sense for you to keep? If no mirrors are needed and removal is costly, why not explore those neat ideas mentioned above---smokey, veiny, or other cling-ons made for glass (Home Depot...) or wallpaper. Maybe cut up a paper grocery bag or other plain paper on hand, and just tape it into a niche to get some sense of what might look appealing to you.

Even though the rug design is sort of "out there", I think it's fun and bold! Just need one more small, red item...like the slightly curved, elongated vase mentioned above--or ...? (I wish I could figure out how to see folks' posts as I type, so I could acknowledge their suggestions to you.)- --Good luck with your tweaking! Please post photos!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.