koss3

What color sofa?

Brenda Grable
8 years ago

I have this great painting above the fireplace and want to get a new sofa . It will sit across from the fireplace. What color sofa would you get? I don't want white or off-white. There are so many colors in the painting you'd think it would be easy, but it hasn't been. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (44)

• kpappal
    8 years ago
    Gray, it's a classic.
  • Brenda Grable
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks , I haven't considered gray because it's not a color I am fond of in decorating, although I love to wear gray.

• Related Discussions

Matching black leather sofa

Q

Comments (3)
    The key thing to think about is making sure the 2 sofas are different enough that it doesn't look like you tried to match them and failed. You want to make sure the shape of the arms is in the same style - rounded or square? do they go to the front edge of the seats or not? Also is the back a tight back or loose cushions? Make sure the new sofa has the same visual weight as the old one. If it's a heavy looking sofa, get another heavy looking sofa. Since the leather one is black, I'd go with a grey colour. It will look good with what you have and be easy to clean. Make sure the fabric is 100% polyester. That is more durable than fabrics with cotton in them.
    ...See More

what colour should I get for my sofa to match my dining table in taupe

Q

Comments (2)
    HI -- From the brand of your dining set sounds like your modern ,right? Go with a neutral grey in a dark to medium tone . Need more info otherwise !
    ...See More

Color advice to match Brown leather sofa

Q

Comments (8)
    These are the color we are going to choose from. Our living room got one side is all window as shown in the picture. One side has two doors towards kitchen and a small storage room. We would like to put the Sofa in the middle to divide the living room into living area and dining area. Also we would like to paint the wall into a different shades than the rest of the room. Any recommendations?
    ...See More

Small Sofa for Small Space

Q

Comments (2)
    just giving some opinion here. it would definitely look great with some cushions on it. Would recommend you to get from an cushion online retailer in Singapore called 1001cushion My favorite cushion from them is Garden Cushion & Metallic Cushion (Classy and Fresh) P/S: They are doing promotion of FREE shipping now.
    ...See More
  • acm
    8 years ago

I would pick a brown -- anywhere from khaki material to darker leather -- going from the woman's skirt, and then accent with blue and gold (pillows, throw...)

• User
    8 years ago
    Any color. Your art should stand alone.
  • auntqueenie
    8 years ago
    What is your style? I think the candle holders on your mantel are too small in scale and do nothing for your artwork. I'd take them down, and just showcase the art you love do much. I like the artwork very much. I think since your walls are painted a neutral creamy/beige I would go with a warm color for the sofa. ( I'll try to attach photos of suggestions later) Compliment the artwork, accessorize your sitting area with pillows and throws. If you don't have a crazy color carpet, get a nice size rug to balance any color scheme ( solid sofa + patterned pillows and rug) and the rug will "anchor" the room. It will be a cozy area.
  • Brenda Grable
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. I intend to take the candle holders down. I was hoping for something neutral in a sofa so that I could use colorful pillows, throws etc. And I will probably get an area rug to add some color too. My style tends to be traditional, but casual, not stuffy. I don't like mid-century at all.

• printesa
    8 years ago

Why not blue?

2011 HHL Living Room · More Info

Hampton · More Info

• auntqueenie
    8 years ago
    Okay third time trying to post this morning..
    Blue would be nice, just don't go too light. The style of sofa can dictate more of the look than color. ( stuffy or not stuffy)
    You can jazz up the room with a rug. You should Google (like i did) blue sofa, brown sofa, traditional sofa etc etc and look at all the images. You'll probably see something that you like.
  • auntqueenie
    8 years ago
    I i render on posting pictures too but for some reason I can't. Anyway...post your final choice. I always enjoy seeing how a room turns out.
  • auntqueenie
    8 years ago
    *** Intended
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    What about a colored velvet sofa from anthropologie?
  • Brenda Grable
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Vicki for the suggestion of a red sofa. A sales lady at the store suggested red also, and while I think it would definitely work, I don't think I can live with a red sofa. I might like it in someone else's house though.

• susan2494
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Black tufted leather.

• User
    8 years ago

The teal from her right breast. Thats her right, not yours. When visitors, such as the Queen, come for tea and cucumber sandwiches, they will ask "what is the wonderful colour of this couch?" You can then answer "Right breast teal." Note, I haven't asked why she is sitting on an inflated giant surgical glove. Because it was there, I suppose.

• lefty47
    8 years ago

HI -- Any color sofa because you do not buy furniture to go with the Art or vice versa !

• PRO
    JHC ART
    8 years ago

I agree with lefty47 and sandyc - art stands on its own - and especially in this painting - there are so many colors in it that any sofa would pick up one of them.

• User
    8 years ago

Should I have nominated the red from the left breast, perhaps Lefty would have agreed with me.

• Depo
    8 years ago
    I vote dark blue, like a navy. It is a neutral and any color pillow you choose will look great on it.
  • PRO
    Design Intervention
    8 years ago

Living room remodel · More Info

The medium blue of this sofa would work well with the painting you are trying to match. The palette that this client wanted was grey/taupe/medium blue.

• Ann
    8 years ago

I love your art!

• btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Think about green for your couch..any where from medium to dark forest...and to tie it in with the art ...paint the art wall to match the couch..this will create a cohesive cozy grouping that encompasses the flair of the art and a more conventional color for the couch..taking it to the next level find understated prints (that duplicate the painting colors) for the couch pillows.. Above all the style of the couch should be comfy, homey, organic to keep it all away from the serious " gallery " feel
  • Maureen
    8 years ago

Any color blue and then use vibrant pillows that also compliment your art. Painting the wall a deep color would also be quite nice. A color that hasn't been mentioned is a deep, rich caramel for your couch.

Bachelor Pad · More Info

Glenn Gissler Design · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

Love your painting :)

Any of the five colours below would work, depends on what colours you love

• Ann
    8 years ago

I love that sofa color (bottom one) Tracey just posted with your art.

• PRO
    Inspired Closets of Greater Boston
    8 years ago

A navy blue sofa would compliment this painting well!

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

I might base a wall color on a piece of art, but not a sofa. Take the art to the sofa store and see what they have in stock the you like with the picture.

• Brenda Grable
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone, this has been interesting. I originally wanted a green sofa, but the selection of green fabrics was very small and so that kind of threw me off and that made me look at other colors. At this point I'd say I am thinking of a tan/camel and some shade of medium to dark blue or blue-gray.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

"Thinking of' and finding are two different things. Again. take the picture with you when you shop. Selection may be more limited than you expect depending on where you live.

• User
    8 years ago
    Good luck sofa shopping. As most of the comments have said, any color will work.
    I think you should stay away from the primary colors, just because they are in the painting don't go overboard with them.
    Let the painting be the star. It will begin to become too matchy and contrived.
    A beautiful neutral sofa either in natural linen or any other natural fabric will look great.
    You don't match your furniture to your art!
    It kills me when I see photos of rooms posted on Houzz, where the sofa throw pillows match the large piece of art usually hung over the sofa. This is not the way to install art.
  • PRO
    Gallant & Jones
    8 years ago

I would do #marsala! Pantone colour of the year 2015, great classic colour. Lots of great couches in this colour this year thanks to it's fame.

But if you don't like it, grey or olive would look great. :)

• Brenda Grable
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again everyone. The painting is much too large to take to the store (52 X 40) It won't fit in my smallish car. But I have taken a picture of it and printed that, so that I can take it. I wasn't really trying to match the colors in the painting as much as I was trying to use it as a place to start in choosing colors to use in redecorating my living room. A lot of the things in my living room will go, but the painting stays. Ah...decorating. It's never easy for me.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

ITC, use the white in it for trim paint, a very light blue shade from the blue background for your walls and the other colors for accent pillows, throws and accessories, including a rug. A camel, tan or darker blue sofa, like the right side of the picture would work.

• User
    8 years ago

koss3, if you're doing a major redecoration, then pick a color you enjoy and run with it. That painting will support any color. I think the style of the sofa will be influence the color you choose. Also, with that level of a redo, I would suggest you have the "feeling" of the room you want to convey solidly in mind. Casual, formal, transitional, modern, Victorian, whatever you decide, just keep that feeling to the forefront and the pieces you need will sing to you.

• miacometlady
    8 years ago
    This pictures calls to me for quirky and luxurious, almost a boudoir feel!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Thank you for seeking to match a sofa to a painting instead of matching a painting to a sofa.

• User
    8 years ago

I like the idea that the painting is the inspiration for the rooms colour palette

• studio10001
    8 years ago

So literal! Who said you needed one colour?

Bensington Velvet Boheme Sofa · More Info

The first is Anthropologie, and absolutely ANY coloured sofa from them would be a perfect fit. Best of luck with your project!

• PRO
    Colorsmith
    8 years ago

I love a deep deep green on a couch-that's what I have on my own, it is a great neutral. Mine is a simple modern style that has moved twice...and walls get painted different colors etc etc. the deep green velour is inviting and so good for lounging : )

• Brenda Grable
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Colorsmith for the suggestion. I like green myself, and my sister has a very deep green that I like. So far I haven't found a green fabric in the brand of sofa I am looking at. Very disappointing.

• User
    8 years ago

If you can hold off for a little while, all those deep rich colours are coming back into fashion . You should have no trouble getting a deep green sofa next year.

• Depo
    8 years ago
    My favorite sofa ever, was a dark Forrest green velvet. I'm sure I would still have it to this day, but our cat got very mad at me for leaving him home alone for a couple of days, and sprayed all over it!
  • Depo
    8 years ago
    But I still like the idea of dark blue for your art!
  • Brenda Grable
    Original Author
    8 years ago

At this point I have pretty much settled for blue. It's just a matter of finding the right blue in a fabric that I like.

Thanks again everyone. I'm pleasantly surprised to see comments so long after I posted my question.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.