riteshjain82

Backsplash ideas - help needed!

R Jain
8 years ago
Hi all,

We just bought a new construction home and we are struggling to come up with the kitchen backsplash tile we should go with. Our flooring is LVP in gray distressed wood color, antique white color cabinets and santa cecilia granite on kitchen countertops and island. Our house will be painted in amazing gray paint color with white window trims, baseboards and crown molding all over.

We have looked at several backsplash tiles but cant come to a conclusion as far as color of the tile is concerned. Should we go with gray, beige or some other color for the tile.

If someone has this sort of look in their home and can post pictures, I will really appreciate it. If tou have specific recommendations for tiles, I would really appreciate if you can post a link to the tile or the manufacturer/tile information for us to research.

I have attached the pictures of our flooring, paint color, cabinets as well as granite for reference.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help! Looking forward to any help I can get.

Thanks!

Comments (78)

• R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks visualizemaven! I agree, we like the subway tile too. Unfortunately, I am not sure what you mean though. Do you have a picture I can refer to?
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Quite frankly you should not be buying any granite this way. Unless you are able to go directly to the granite yard and pick out your slab ,I wouldn't chance it! You could be very disappointed at what you end up with. I would insist on it! Bring your floor and cabinet samples with you and see what the whole piece looks like! Warts and all!!!
  • Related Discussions

Need help in designing Foyer Area

Q

Comments (28)
    Hi Few points: 1. It's not an independent residential apartment. It is a flat in a 25storey block 2. I have attached the floor plan for reference. The entrance is not too huge. 3. It's good to know that you guys have liked the Bathroom & kitchen design. The tiling work is in progress and it has come out well. I will take few snaps and post 4. When I say resort look - I understand and mean a simplistic natural looking design. More towards wood, nature, green, matt finish etc... Hope i am not confusing anyone here 5. Do you think the bathroom & kitchen design gels with what I mean by resort look. 6. The foyer area is a small (not too big) entrance. It's like a passage as you can see in the pics I posted earlier. When you enter you don't see the entire living room rather you see the wall (kitchen wall), where we intend to keep our dining table. Some thoughts on designing that wall is also requested Thanks!
    ...See More

Need help: Partition Ideas

Q

Comments (2)
    I have used Lumicor or 3Form resin panels for this application many times. The resin panels are translucent, letting light in but are still private. They are two panels with flat materials between them; like grass, rice paper, fabrics, metals, strings, bamboo, wood veneers, it is endless. Check both companies websites for different options of panels. Here are some examples. Another idea could be textured glass, like rain or water glass.
    ...See More

Need Help to renovate the Kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Alice, that's a really good question - challenging dilemma with a strong limitation (no hacking!) but I believe workable. Would you consider making changes to the backsplash? Adding some strip lighting will help too. Given the pink checkered floor tiles cannot be changed, I'd favour going for very neutral and clean looking cabinetry - to reduce visual clutter and bring in some harmony. Regardless of colour of finish choice, I prefer cabinetry that's not see-through. How about natural wood finishes: All-white with wood countertops might work as well: I leave it to the professionals to give their advice!
    ...See More

Resale EA - Need help to gather idea how to renovate my house

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi yoyo188, that's a very detailed plan! Looks fine with me, except I have a concern regarding the dining area. (The following done with Houzz Sketch function!) Just wondering if some of the guests at the dining table might potentially be facing the shoe rack? Not sure which you prefer, but I'd either reposition the shoe rack or the dining table: Regarding the proximity of the dining table to the kitchen, I like referencing the following Houzz Tours: [https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/houzz-tour-infusing-the-popular-scandi-theme-with-local-flavour-stsetivw-vs~84802854[(https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/houzz-tour-infusing-the-popular-scandi-theme-with-local-flavour-stsetivw-vs~84802854) [https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/houzz-tour-this-flats-defining-style-is-streamlined-and-cosy-stsetivw-vs~86080574[(https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/houzz-tour-this-flats-defining-style-is-streamlined-and-cosy-stsetivw-vs~86080574) [https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/houzz-tour-finally-a-scan-dustrial-home-that-is-different-stsetivw-vs~85725844[(https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/houzz-tour-finally-a-scan-dustrial-home-that-is-different-stsetivw-vs~85725844) But that's just my opinion, let me know what you think?
    ...See More
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    And Santa Cecelia is a very common entry level granite.
  • R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks lynartist! I will talk to the builder this weekend and tell them our preference. I agree, what you suggest is the right way.
  • shiningautumn8
    8 years ago
    I cannot believe the backsplash they put with that granite in the model home. Ugh. I guess if you have to so one just get a off white 3x6 subway tile and use off white grout with it. These builders irritate me sometimes.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    That's the model home? Oh geez, I didn't read back far enough! Why are the cabinets zig zagging up and down? Don't even worry about the backsplash till you finalize your granite! You could change your mind once you see it in... Then what?
  • susiesworld
    8 years ago
    Granite us OVER. Especially the "mottled "color ones.In 10 years it will look dated. Try a solid color Quartz or marble or honed black granite. Then go crazy with any backsplash you want. It will be a lot easier to change in a few years than all new countertops.
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

High again # 82!

What I mean about getting the travertine to match better is this: when you look at the first two photos you sent, do you see how the color of the travertine is not really coordinating well with the granite? It is too blush, too tan - it is off. I know the photo may not be accurate, however, it is quite common to have this problem so be very careful. Therefore you need to pick a travertine which reads almost white or has a lot of gold tones in it. That would successfully pick up the tones in your slab. And YES, you have to go to a granite/marble yard, with your sample, to get the match right.

I agree with comments above to try and get Quartz and not any sort of a visually busy counter surface BUT we explored that and you aren't able to work it out with your builder. Too bad he/she won't give you an allowance for the cost and then you make up the difference. I'm holding out hope you can pull that off!

R Jain thanked visualizemaven
  • gustaviatex
    8 years ago

Since you have to choose from the builder's offerings, you might want to read something on Undertones from Maria Killam. Your Santa Cecilia granite has yellow tones, so you do not want to choose a backsplash tile that has pinky undertones: What everyone should know about beige. Her site is full of fantastic information about color. Click on Blog at the top and there is a search box on the lower right. She has written extensively about kitchens, countertops and backsplashes.

If you want a travertine (much nicer than those dated glass mosaics) think ivory to pick up the yellow tones in the Santa Cecilia granite. And, the 4" strip will NOT look as nice as a full backsplash. Check some of the high-end kitchens here on Houzz and you will not see any with a 4" strip.

Good luck!

R Jain thanked gustaviatex
  • shiningautumn8
    8 years ago
    4" granite looks much better than dated travertine, dated granite and having to deal with undertones etc. Id honestly just tell the builder to put in no countertops then get that outsourced with something you really love once builder is out. Travertine and granite to me screams 2003 and especially with white cabinets I just don't get it. Quart, carrra, porceline subway, marble looks -- these are whats seen with white shaker cabinets and wood floors nowadays.

And i totally agree with the WTH re the cabinet tops being all staggered!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    I'm not sure we should be suggesting anything here in the way of granite/ backsplash etc. while I do agree a full height backsplash is preferable I'm not going to say the OP should get this or that countertop! The floor seems to have a lot of movement and color variation. My inclination would be to keep the countertop fairly simple in this case as to not clash. The OP needs to determine the overall tone of the flooring; be it warm or cool tone. You will be living with this decision for a long time and judging from the design choices at the model home I wouldn't rely on your builders input. If you do use a natural stone backsplash I would keep it as simple and neutral as possible. It will have to be sealed and that may change the color a bit so keep that in mind. Don't rush the backsplash; wait till the counters are in. Be completely honest with yourself about how the counters look with your other selections; not wether you like the looks of a particular granite , but how it relates to all the choices in your space. When you start to think of this as a whole , you may change your mind. Good luck.
  • Sam Gorson
    8 years ago
    I also have a busy granite with lots of movement and I love it. However, I agree that if you go with that style, you need a non-busy backsplash. Mine is a storm gray very large scale (3 ft by 1 ft) porcelain tile that matches some of the color in my granite. Because of the size, there are fewer grout lines and less business in the backsplash. Just a thought....take a look on Houzz and see if a larger scale solid or very slightly mottled tile (all one color) is something that might work.
  • Gordo Paton
    8 years ago

I avoided granite and opted for quartz as it does not need to be sealed every year to prevent red wine stains caused by over served guests. We went neutral on the quartz and white non-beveled subway tiles on the backsplash which provided the clean look we were going for.

• R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you everyone. Unfortunately, we dont have an option of quartz or anything other than granite. Among the choices we had, we liked the Santa Cecilia the most. I looked at the Neri bone subway tile and like it a lot, will check it out. I will also look into the option of getting a matched 4" granite.
  • naomiboshoff
    8 years ago
    Painted wall with a clear glass plate over it. For granite I would choose Zimbabwe granite pure black.
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

I know there has been a lot of back and forth #82 and you do sound like a very patient soul!

I'm concerned the Neri bone subway tile will look too beige and therefore not coordinate well with your Santa Cecilia PLUS subway tile is "busy" because of all the grout lines.................plz consider this.

R Jain thanked visualizemaven
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

This is the Neri bone in a beveled. It also comes not beveled. It is not beige at all. This particular client used it with Bianco Romano granite which had cream tones in it instead of white.

Traditional Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• Aline
    8 years ago
    Storrowgarden, I love your idea of using a large format tile as your backsplash. It's all those grout lines in standard backsplash size tiles that have bothered me and kept me from coming up with something I could live with. Do you have any pictures you can post?
  • PRO
    Lana Chu
    8 years ago
    With the Saint Cecilia or even the other granite I would go with either the same granite backsplash of about 6 inches or a cream subway tile that blends with your cabinets. With the granite splash you will have some of your gray wall color in between the cabinets and the backsplash so it would bring your walls and floor together very well. I do love the look of a cream back splash with cream cabinets though.
  • PRO
    Lana Chu
    8 years ago
    Arlington · More Info
  • R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone! I visited my builder today and she told me they are not offering Quartz as an option so Granite is our only option :).

Lana Chu - Thanks for posting the pictures, I really like these.

Visualizemaven - thanks for all your help here and I have made a note of every point that you have made to keep in mind when we are picking out tiles.

• visualizemaven
    8 years ago

your welcome,my pleasure, I wish you the best - you are doing a great job sorting through your options given certain limitations and all while keeping a very pleasant mood! lol kudos to you!

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Backsplash tiles what are your builder options? Or can you pick anything?

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

This is my personal inspiration pic. I love everything about this. Are your cabinets cream or white? Note the travertine. They don't have grey toned wood floors but I'm curious what options you have to work with. Can you select a warmer floor? Or is that decision set?

Wolf Willow-Cream on Cream Luxury · More Info

• Anne Cho
    8 years ago
    This is my home now and I love both of my kitchens.., but still renovating
  • R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So we spoke to the builder and he gave us an option to switch flooring! Any feedback on the two attached pics? Which one do you think will look better in the long term along with the granite and cabinets we gave chosen? We can also change the paint color if and as needed to make it all flow together.

Anu suggestions??
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

You sound excited that your builder is giving you other options and I am too!

But I'm not envisioning either one; not because of the color but because of all pattern in the floor. I really do think both are just too busy to coordinate well with a visually busy granite CT. There will be too much going on and one will distract from the other.

To avoid a conflict begtween your CT and floors, I would suggest a simple floor. Do you have any options for another floor?

• Joyce E
    8 years ago
    stick with your first granite! it was the one that you liked immediately, and just because there are people commenting here who don't care for granite with a lot of movement, this is *your* house not theirs. The second choice is very common/boring in my opinion. (but just my opinion... as noted)
    With either choice, I agree with comments that subway style tile does not seem to fit the look. If you do go with tile, definitely keep the grout matching the tile closely, since any contrast there would introduce a pattern to clash with granite.
    We have a granite with lots of movement as well. On perimeter counters we have the granite as 3 inch backsplash, with nice washable gloss paint above, and behind the cooktop we have a stainless backsplash that was an option with the range.
  • PRO
    Lana Chu
    8 years ago

Are the floor options for the whole house or just the kitchen?

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Where is the floor going besides the kitchen? If it's going on main level in other areas choose the floor that you want your space to look. The second one is warmer. The first, darker and more rustic. Choose flooring first if it's going in the entire first floor.

• R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi everyone - we'll have one floor across the house except bedrooms. We choose the gray one because it has a more rustic look to it which is what we typically prefer. Given a choice, I would have chosen Quartz or something else but from the two granite options we were given, we liked Santa Cecilia more. To go with the floors and cabinets, we chose the amazing gray paint considering it would look great with the white trim, ceilings and baseboards.

Where we stand right now, I think the best option for us would be to leave everything as-is (flooring, granite, paint) and just try to pick the best back-splash that would work for our selections.

In future, we may decide to change our flooring to engineered hardwood or one of the LVPs from Flooret Modin collection and at that time we may go with a little warmer wood tone however, that will not happen for another 5-6 years.

Based on where we are right now, I have got suggestions to look at 4-6" granite backsplash, small (2x4?) bone colored subway tile, maybe a travertine subway tile with 1-2 colors from our granite. I think someone also suggested 4" granite backsplash and a stainless steel backsplash right behind the range.

Any other suggestions?

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Good decision on flooring. It's a huge component and I think it'll be fine with the countertops. I don't think the granite backsplash would look nice at all. Pick a tile in a neutral.

R Jain thanked S Mistry Interiors
  • R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago

S Mistry Interiors - Are you referring to the gray flooring or the brown one?

• anthip
    8 years ago

I think the granite, floor and cabinets will work well together. I like that granite but then I don't like the look of quartz. I think you should go for the full height painted glass backsplash. Our kitchen has very large polished ceramic tiles that go the full height of work top to upper cabinets with as little grout as possible. Our granite is fussy but the large scale tile really tones it down.

• PRO
    Lana Chu
    8 years ago

This is what a 6" granite backsplash looks with the Santa Cecelia.

• visualizemaven
    8 years ago

Thank you for the picture Lana

• Tess Wakefield
    8 years ago
    Go for gray floor for sure!
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago
    You can not go wrong with subway with a moderately busy granite!
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The rustic one you said goes better with your overall look for the main level.

Did d you check out travertine?you might also try a porcelain or ceramic glazed tile. Choose something without drastic color variations.

• R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks! We will check out some tile shops next weekend.
  • PRO
    MARK IV Builders, Inc
    8 years ago

I think this back splash, or something like it, would work very well in your kitchen.

Custom Tiled Kitchen Backsplash with Black Range Hood · More Info

• R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago

All, so I have an update. I spoke to the builder and they have another granite option called Ubatube. Its a dark colored granite which I believe almost looks black. I don't have a picture yet but should have it by this Friday.

Will look at it and figure out if I should go with Santa Cecelia or Ubatuba. In the meantime, if anyone has any experience with Ubatuba or have some pictures of Ubatube with white cabinets and a backsplash, please share them. I'll really appreciate it!

• Aline
    8 years ago

One thing to keep in mind with the Ubatuba is that every drop of water reflects off it, an effect that is amplified If you have undercounted lighting, If your at all concerned about what's currently in vogue, my sense is that Ubatuba is pretty passé, whereas Santa Cecelia is still being installed in many kitchens.

• visualizemaven
    8 years ago

Hi again;

The thing with all granite now a-days is that many consider it passe or some colors/patterns more" in" than others. We know that you would get quartz if you could but you can't so.....................I would encourage you to think about which one you really like better.

The Santa Cecelia reads lighter and has more interest and colors going on. The Ubatuba reads dark; almost black. My first thought is that you have white cabinets so your kitchen will come across as a black & white kitchen if you go with the Ubatuba.

If this is what you like and want, then go for it.

I personally vote for the Santa Cecelia............but then again it is not my kitchen! LOL

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    I think uba tuba could be an option if you get it in a honed finish. Santa Cecilia is just as dated in my opinion! The honed finish would bring this tried and true granite up to date.
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

I'm not feeling the ubatuba with the wood floors you selected. I think the Santa Cecilia is much warmer.

• R Jain
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I like Santa Cecelia myself which is the reason we chose it in the first place. I rejected Ubatuba myself because we felt it will show every speck of dust or food particle and may need more work to keep it clean. Just wanted to check since our builder told us that is one of the option if we would like to get that.

The other reason is we visited a few tile shops and have been unable to find a backsplash tile that would tie the countertop, floor and cabinets together :(.

I think we will stick with Santa Cecelia. That is the one we like the most. Ubatuba came to our mind since we thought it would be easy to find a backsplash for it. However, if we didnt like it the first time, i think we wont like it in the long run.
  • PRO
    A Good Eye Curated Decor
    8 years ago

All this quartz craziness is ridiculous!! I had Venetian gold granite ( very similar to saint Cecelia ) with 2x4 natural travertine backsplash and cream glazed cabinets in my kitchen in my previous home and in my new home I painted the maple cabinets cream , kept the shiny black granite counters that were there ( not my 1st choice) added a polished crema marfil 1x2 backsplash tile and a dark island to mimic the black counters with a gorgeous busy taupe Bordeaux granite counter.. It looks gorgeous and matches beautifully .. The natural beauty in granite will never be "out" to me!! Think of all the upscale kitchens completed in recent years - to think people would spend $50,000-100,000 with lasting desire of only a few years is beyond comprehension! I'm attaching a photo of my kitchen showing how you can work , with what you have. Never ever should busy counters have busy backsplashes!! It amazes me when I see designers post pictures showing that combination.

above picture is new Venetian gold granite
    Above picture of black counters and taupe Bordeaux granite

• jvicktwin
    7 years ago

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.