yashkaj

what to add or subtract from my console?

Nikaj
8 years ago
I bought my first house a few months ago and is presently working on small projects decorating.
I have made several adjustments decorating this console, is it too crowded? Im open to opinions and suggestions.

Comments (150)

• Sandybean
    8 years ago
    Home Interiors with Ease has a good eye and in my opinion the best suggestions by far!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago

Thank you sjfausnaught...I really appreciate that compliment:)

• Related Discussions

Clueless on rug color! Help me find my perfect rug!

Q

Comments (27)
    You already have your accent colour as your sofa pillows (log roll pillows). I would take one of them shopping with me to get a rug that has that colour in it. It doesn't need to be a lot of that colour (I love the idea of burgandy rug here...but it might be too much with your monotone scheme). You can find a large rug that incorporates that red/raspberry in it so that you have a colour that is now your accent.
    ...See More

Need help creating an industrial feel that's still cozy

Q

Comments (4)
    I would get rid of that pendant. Here's one link to industrial pendant lights http://www.houzz.com/industrial-pendants Pick a light that you like and show it to your landlord. I bet she/he will say yes to your suggestion since pendant lights can easily be changed. In fact, if there's already a really secure junction box there already i bet they may even go with a ceiling fan light combo if that's what you really want
    ...See More

My first house! Need your insightful advice!

Q

Comments (19)
    I very much agree with what Beverly said regarding adding shutters to your home. You don't have the space on either side of the windows to accommodate appropriately sized shutters. Awnings would definitely be an option. Since you're in the Caribbean, you can add color by using a brightly striped awning. One shutter option that you could consider would be a Bahama Shutter. Since they mount at the top of the windows, you wouldn't have any problem adding them if you like.
    ...See More

Where/what plants to get to decorate bedroom?

Q

Comments (7)
    Money plants are super easy to maintain! I've had mine for the past 7 months since moving in to our new flat and it is growing wildly around its 1.5m pole with minimal care. Cacti don't need much attention as well and make for nice decorative plants especially in toilets where you might not get much sunlight. The air plant in your second picture was actually being sold at my neighbourhood pasar malam and I was very close to getting it (apparently it only needs occasional spraying of water) but it wasn't quite my style and I went for a different plant that I'm still trying to figure out the name of. :)
    ...See More
  • Betty Stoddard
    8 years ago

So many good ideas for you to study. I can tell the blue plate is a special treasure of yours. Its color adds a lovely hue to your console.

However my concern for your plate is for its safety. If it gets jarred or nudged in any way, hitting the glass console will chip or crack it at a minimum of damage. Or if it falls on the floor, its beauty which you appreciate greatly will be in the past tense.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the possibilities as you try different combinations! We'll all be ready for what you choose. Best to you...

• Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Good ideas interia with ease, thank you wink wink!
  • Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Betty!
  • James Plantin
    8 years ago

I love the idea of adding books to your console. You can find affordable books on Ebay. I would get some art book or decoration book. Put the Orchid on top and it will look great.

• Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks James!
  • Toni McCormick
    8 years ago

I second Home Interiors w Ease. The basket doesn't do justice to the console it's too washed out and cutesy looking. I'm a chrome gal myself! And I have a plate similar to yours--don't know what to really do w it either! Might I suggest (along with everyone else's opinion) a fabric, leather Japanese flavor lacquered basket/box may do--I find that compliments my chrome/mirror preferences. Can't wait to see the finished product!

• judie
    8 years ago

As another person commented, place your tallest object to the LEFT (as we read left to right), and try larger items, as floor vase on table. I think you need texture to add interest. Mirror is very pretty. Maybe a printed fabric behind mirror to below table???

• judie
    8 years ago

Try silver candlesticks on left--gold leaf plate on right side of mirror. On lower shelf use bound books (any variety) sitting upright alone or flat with blue plate on side of shelf I rather have the feeling that the blue plate is troubling you.. Maybe try it in another favorite spot or room. Keep playing with it and trying anything you have as a new idea.

• lenachristina
    8 years ago

The two most powerful changes for me in this thread were connecting the mirror to the console (by either bringing mirror lower or creating height with top shelf) and removing middle shelf of table.

• Toni McCormick
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Any new photos? You must be exhausted going thru all the suggestions!

• chris_106_965
    8 years ago
    Superbe !
  • Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lol no new photos as yet, It is still in the last arrangement, yes exhausted indeed, but grateful for all the help. This week I will do some more changes and keep you all posted.
  • Tia
    8 years ago

it is not so much of adding or subtracting at this point ... your #1 issue is the clash of all the items because of styles and scale. your console is slim and "barely there" because of all that chrome and glass. it is dwarfed by another very shinny object whose proportion is totally off track to your console table ... I.e. your gigantic mirror. I was going to suggest you get a much bigger console of different material to add balance in scale and texture ... but then I realized you don't have much space in your hallway. so you would have to swap out your mirror and replace it with something of not so much "bling" like a nice painting of appropriate size. bottomline is this: you've got too much "bling" going on there as all your items are shiny. you need different texture. ideally, a wooden console with much more prominent presence will accommodate all your mirror, blue glass, mercury vase, etc. but I am not sure you have space for a larger piece of furniture

• Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Tia, I think you are looking at the very first photo, lots of readjustment was done. So most shiny stuff removed and more natural stuff added!
  • Kameka San
    8 years ago

Congrats on your new home! Love your table and mirror....I like Home Interiors With Ease' suggestions. I think using the basket for mail etc is very practical and if you don't mind putting that beautiful blue plate flat it could catch your keys. I also like your floor vase, I would keep it as long as its not an obstruction! soon you'll find a perfect spot for all your beautiful pieces (been there ;) )

• marie Offutt
    8 years ago

Studs are vertical behind your wall, so if you're lowering the mirror you'll be pounding your nail into the same stud--just lower. No need to "add another stud." (not quite sure what that even MEANS?)

• Kameka San
    8 years ago

"Stud" could also mean nail (or whatever she used to hang the mirror) that was my interpretation...

• chris_106_965
    8 years ago
    MAGNIFIQUE
  • luvourhome
    8 years ago

Too busy/cluttered as is in fist photo. The mirror and plate are vying for attention and out of scale with each other. The mirror is way over-powering for that area/table size. The amount of items does not currently say taste, but sale-at-Pier-1. However, the items individually are pretty! If you like the blue, keep the blue plate and star-fish and group together so they look connected. Blue here is a powerful colour, but so is the size of the mirror. It looks top-heavy as it is. Put the blue items off-centre to the big mirror. Add a tall white orchid in a dark brown/espresso pot for height to the other side and to add some earthiness and balance the mirror's size and lower the mirror closer to the table. Take your middle shelf off from where it is and take all your other accessories off. Less is more. Too much gives the opposite effect of style. But there is nothing permanent so there's no harm done. Congrats and happy decorating!!

• luvourhome
    8 years ago

You could also try adding in a long, narrow rectangular rattan basket on the bottom shelf in a dark colour or a long narrow wooden tray in a dark colour. There needs to be something to balance out that mirror and ground it. I'm tempted to suggest a rectangular mirror in a dark frame instead if you like shiny objects on the table and want to keep the blue. I'm a blue fan also.

The suggestion for a basket with magazines and a blanket? Nooooo. Too much physical and visual weight and clutter for the space and size and style of the table. Your hallway is super narrow, too. That would work better beside a sofa, imo. Have fun! Decorating a home for the first time is a blast and so creative/inspiring! Enjoy and relax with your feet up. :) Oh yes, your home must feel like you. You know what makes your heart sing and smile. No amount of advice will work/ help if it feels off. Follow your heart and have things you love, not just because a design magazine says to have it.

• Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    That's right lol!
  • Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You got it right Kameka, that's what I meant. thanks!
  • ofgirl
    8 years ago

Hi. Yashkaj. Maybe too many knick knacks? How about the two clear candleholders from first photo and that gorgeous blue plate on the lower shelf only. The really tall stuff takes away from the beautiful mirror:)

• Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ok ofgirl lol, that's sounds too simple, you Dont like the orchid?
  • Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just a little update, yes blue plate again lol! How is this now?
  • Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I lowered the mirror, will take the nail old screw out. I know it's showing in the pic.
  • Sandybean
    8 years ago
    I think books under the orchid are enough, would do away with blue plate. Also think the orchid needs to move a little more to the right.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago

Middle of mirror 60" from floor??

how high is console?

I guess you didn't like my rendering :(

• User
    8 years ago
    I would remove those two little dishes on the bottom shelf and the plate under the orchid.
  • Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes interior with ease I took some of your rendering, I changed the orchid to fusia, I lowered the mirror and I added the picture frame lol.
  • Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    How about this now?
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago

That is wonderful..do you have a larger wax candle? That will help with the proportions...but still keep basket or go with the soft felt one I posted earlier if you want storage. You can move frame in just a tad more...very nice hope you like it?

• Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have the green candle but was advised to use one accent colour so will have to get another large one. Yes I like it but like the basket at the bottom to throw stuff like mails. Thank you!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago

I would just go with a white candle so very sophisticated no need to add color..your frame, books and orchid are plenty of color. Love your orchid I have the same in my dining room!

• Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok great will do, I moved the white orchid to the powder room. Loving the fusia!
  • hollywaterfall
    8 years ago

I LOVE the first revision (without the candle). The orchid color is great and the height of everything now works out. You may still want to move the mirror up a bit though.

• tlparks
    8 years ago

I feel like you need to move picture frame to the right a bit. Looks like it's about to fall off the table.

• Crystal Martin
    8 years ago
    I agree with moving the plate to the bottom shelf.
  • kcgreer
    8 years ago

Love the last picture. I think that's a winner, with the bigger candle added. I actually love that blue plate, too, yashkaj. I understand why it kept reappearing. ;-) Just.a thought, why not hang the blue plate ON a wall somewhere else in the room to bring the blue into the room and repeat the blue from the books you have on the console? Either hang it on a narrow wall (so it's proportionate and to scale) or as part of a wall collage with framed photos, etc. (giving the wall collage some dimension)?

• hollyjohn
    8 years ago
    Sorry, but I would remove the table and mirror from that narrow foyer and replace it with large art work (possibly a poster) in a simple frame. Seems like that little console is trying too hard.
  • PRO
    EL INTERIOR DESIGN
    8 years ago

IT LOOKS IT IS TO BUSY. So, the left side of upper shelf is okay but on the right side you must put something taller like the aqua plate, than put only a candle by itself in the center. Undoubtedly, the third shelf on the bottom is to busy, so remove one vase and put only one in the center. In any way all looks very crowded in very small space.

• lenachristina
    8 years ago

I would never be without a console in the hallway. I put my letters there so I don't forget to mail them in the morning. I don't junk up the console, but I find a mirror over the console by the door very functional whereas a beautiful piece of art doesn't serve that purpose. In addition, a beautiful art piece often needs to be seen from a greater distance than a narrow hallway. I'm sure there are a myriad ways to make the hall lovely, but I think this joint project has turned out lovely.

• Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    El Interior I think you are looking at the first set of pics and not the updated version in my last postings.
  • Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Lena I agree with you, I love my mirror and my console in the hallway!
  • Anna Fleischhacker
    8 years ago

I once read three items. Follow that rule and it seems anything works. I love the console. do you recall wear you bought it?

• Nikaj
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I bought the console at buclair.
  • Tamara Melinda
    7 years ago
    like you Yashkaj you take suggestions well : )
  • Nikaj
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    thx Tamara lol!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.