webuser_666127

Need help finishing my living room

We have recently painted, had new carpet installed, finished the fireplace surround and bought a new couch. Now need help with finishing touches/accent colors. Need curtains, throw pillows, blanket, side table, lamp and accessory/art recommendations. Thanks so much!

Comments (68)

• J D
    7 years ago
    Having fun: what about say one pillow that is navy w a design and then one pillow or throw that is orange? Maybe if he/she does it like that, it might be easier to find stuff?
  • hortenstinesara
    7 years ago
    I think the curtains and couch pillows are really going to be the starting point. from there you can choose your wall art. I think pops of deep teal would be nice...and some grays/whites/blacks
  • Craig Andresen
    7 years ago

I'm the husband of the original poster, and thought it might help to add the details of the finishes in the family room there and some priorities as we're overwhelmed by the responses (thank you to all!). It's really hard to tell from our pictures what color some of the finishes are. I like where this is going with navy with an accent color to make it pop for things like curtains, pillows, lamp, etc.

Many comments have asked what we like. I would say we're still at the point in trying to understand what would GO with what we have so far and then pick from there. We both like traditional, with touches of modern and rustic. Kind of the Pottery Barn meets Jeff Lewis look maybe? I'm an engineer, I really have no clue :-)! So probably in order of importance to us:

1. Curtains (living room and eat in area of kitchen)

2. Throw pillows

3. End table. The one we have is far too short. We were thinking something more rustic with a reclaimed wood top, maybe metal legs, thinking the rustic touch would match the rustic mantle (which is really the only rustic thing in the house currently). We had this one recommended to us and thought it was too tall at about 1/4" taller than the couch arm, but it sounds like that's OK:

Pottery Barn Griffin Reclaimed Wood Side Table

4. Lamp for end table. Need something bigger and coordinating.

5. We don't really know what accessories to put on the shelves to make it look good. Smaller, bigger, pictures or not, etc. We aren't going to paint them since they match the adjoining kitchen cabinets.

6. We never liked the ceiling fan there, but have no clue what would look good.

I think we plan to keep the brown leather coffee table for now. We have little kids and it's very kid friendly!

Here's the existing finishes if this helps:

A. Countertop: Pental
    Sahara Polished Quartz

B. Backsplash: Pental
    glass subway tile. 2x4 Moda Vetro
    C. Carpet: Masland – Oceanside 9495 - Coastal Fog 543

D. Benjamin
    Moore Bleeker Beige. Kitchen is same color, 30% lighter

E. Couch is Pottery Barn and I believe the Pearce in Silver Taupe:

These colors are obviously all very neutral, but we hoped to add some interest with the items we're asking about. Again, thanks to all. Hopefully you guys can help us narrow down the items at the top of the list, and hopefully the other items will fall into place!

• mzapper
    7 years ago

Lovely home!

I think if you decide on colour combination then we can all help with specific item ideas. With navy on top of your list there are a few combos that will look great - you could stick with other shades of blue along with neutrals, coral, orange, yellow, chartreuse..(or a variety!) so many possibilities. Perhaps take a look through living room ideas on here to see what colour combo you both like best.

Do any of these combos look appealing?

Laguna Cottage · More Info

British Colonial · More Info

Living Room · More Info

New Old Farmhouse · More Info

Hanover West · More Info

Hayneedle · More Info

Magnolia Northwest Modern · More Info

• Craig Andresen
    7 years ago
    I think I like the look of the fifth picture down (navy with brownish--can't quite tell what color that is). This one:
    Hanover West · More Info

I also like the first one with navy and orange. The only concern I have with orange is that our cherry cabinets are quite orange already. While this would go together, it may be a bit much for me. Side note: our kitchen used to be painted orange and we hated it as it was overwhelming! I'll get my wife to respond too on the colors and then we'd love help narrowing down choices!
  • mzapper
    7 years ago

I understand Craig - we have one orange wall in our living room and think I am over it! You could always have just a cushion or two in an orange or a softer coral and it wouldn't be overwhelming. The one you like is very nice and calming - I really like it as well.

• mzapper
    7 years ago

maybe nice neutral window coverings in living room with a slight pattern or solid in similar shade to sofa or soft blue. Pottery Barn has some nice ones.

Martinique Printed Cotton Single-Panel Curtain, Taupe · More Info

Belgian Flax Linen Drapery, Mist Gray, 50" X 96" · More Info
    and then some cushions with a bit of soft colours, think there are several combos of three that would work together

Kylie Hollywood Regency Linen Down Light Blue Pillow, 22x22 · More Info

Alaric Geometric Pillow, Gray Coral, Down Feather Filler, 18"x18" · More Info

Light Blue Blue Poppyfiled Pillow Cover with Large Flower · More Info

Ferah Slate Blue Pillow, Set of 2 · More Info

Paisley Coral and Blue Damask Throw Pillow · More Info

Greek Key Throw Pillows, Taupe, Set of 2, 17"x17" · More Info

Gray moroccan ikat decorative pillow cover · More Info

• mzapper
    7 years ago

Chenille Texture Medallion Pillow, Blue/Ivory, Without Insert · More Info

Cottage Mineral 16.5" Throw Pillow · More Info

Surya Pillow Kit Down Feathers Square Rainy Day 18 x 18 Accent Pillow · More Info

• allanaspree
    7 years ago

You have a lovely home. Your choices to date have provided you with a lovely neutral background which means that you can basically have any colour scheme you like with one proviso - there needs to be some warm undertone in some of the accents to co-ordinate with the built ins. By warm undertone I mean a hint of orange or copper or terracotta or similar somewhere in the accents. Does not have to be the dominant colour. If it was my room I would choose neutral curtains & bring out the colours in art, pillows etc. I am not sure where you plan to hang your art but in my opinion I would get neutral curtains first & then find a piece of art that you both love - in that order. The art will somewhat dictate your colour scheme from there. Some colour boards mocked up below to show you how different colour schemes will work against your existing sofa fabric & carpet. Actual accent items are just plucked at random & are just there to show you a colour scheme. Good luck!

• mzapper
    7 years ago

Fia Floral Pillow Green 18"x18" · More Info

Embroidered Medallion Pillow, Blue/Tan, 18"x18", Without Insert · More Info

Surya Facade Down Fill 18" Square Pillow, Taupe · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

ok, after looking at all the lovely pillows, and ewwing and ahhing before gagging. when i put things up i shop for the everyday person. so you do not need to go locally. all pillows are under $25 for 18" I am going to go with a dark blue with gray tendencies to start. I do have a wonderful set that are pastels, more beachy in colors, just let me know. Oh i got rid of everything else.

• havingfun
    7 years ago

sorry, thought it was blue. i can replace it. but first what do you think of these?

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

As for what to put in the shelves, here's a good "rule of thumb:" 1/3 books (hardcover only,) 1/3 large decor items (big enough to be identified from across the room,) 1/3 open space.

• Monica Steinborn Andresen
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the help. Having fun : I'm more into patterns than the Asian feel. I do like the idea of navy with some other accent color like another blue or perhaps red or even eggplant color. Thank you all for all of the comments. It has been so helpful!!
  • PRO
    V-lonne Custom Window Treatments NY
    7 years ago

Your Room is fairly neutral, clean and sleek looking. Did you like into having Custom shades such as roman shades or sheer shades. Here are some ideas for living.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Second hand stores are a good place to pick up some books for decor.

• PRO
    Bayberry Cottage
    7 years ago

Maybe sharing some designs of ours will help you move forward in finishing you living room. Notice the rug, how the built ins are decorated, and gallery wall.

Equine Manor · More Info

Equine Manor · More Info

Equine Manor · More Info

• mzapper
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here is a room that shows a nice mix including eggplant, might be nice to have an accent chair in navy or eggplant if it can work in the room?

Transitional Living Room · More Info

Original Author
    7 years ago
    Mapper. I like that room with the eggplant color. Thanks!!
  • Lisa Vittore
    7 years ago
    Q
  • mzapper
    7 years ago

I don't think the poster is asking about a rug. I believe the room is carpeted.

• havingfun
    7 years ago

but sometimes it can help anchor things.

• Craig Andresen
    7 years ago
    I agree a rug could add some visual interest and anchor the room, but I don't think we want one for this space. Our new carpet is very plush for one, so that may be another tripping hazard for our 1 year old.
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

You don't need a rug. I would look for light linen colored drapes, and then use a few colorful pillows - navy would look great, maybe two solid and one patterned. Get an end table and lamp with a light colored shade for one end of your sectional, and use a floor lamp behind the small end table on the other side. Your square windows act as artwork, so you don't need anything else on the walls, unless you have room just to the right of your sectional.

• suezbell
    7 years ago

Really nice great room with plenty of natural light. With carpet, you don't actually need a rug -- you could well end up with a stumble/trip problem if you add one and, especially if you have children and/or pets, they're just something more to clean.

With the sofa and carpet color, consider shades of blue for throw pillows and window treatment.

Matching end tables with taller lamps (thin posts) with larger white (or even very pale blue) shades would be a good beginning; alternately, consider a pair of floor lamps that are a lamp/table combo.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mtEzSd0o6-BefmT-C54OZPg.jpg

Sectionals limit furniture placement and this room is a good example -- you have no really good place to add chairs unless, space permitting, you consider putting the other side of the sofa
    centered beneath the windows and use the side of the sofa now beneath
    the windows as a room divider or leave the sofa and larger window set appearing off center and add a chair -- perhaps a wing back chair -- beside the end table you now have.

Moving whichever side of the sofa you put beneath the windows so the sofa is centered beneath the large window set and a few inches from the outside wall will help the symmetry of the space.

While the three small square buildings permit natural light from that side while protecting privacy, they're placement seems a bit awkward for creating any semblance of symmetry with the furnishings and other windows using your sectional.

Using a tall floor lamp centered beneath the small window nearest the
    fireplace wall could also help by visually defining that space
    individually, separate and apart from the other two that are more
    closely centered with the sectional.

The curtains and rods you have don't work particularly well for that large window set behind the sofa. Seriously consider nearly floor length vertical blinds such as you'd use for patio doors instead and use the same vertical blinds for the larger window in the dining area. They come in wood, faux wood, fabric or even the less expensive vinyl that comes in a lot of different colors, since the room is not the stiff and formal look.

For the three square windows, consider stained glass. You could add white louvered shutters to all three high square windows and hang one stained glass hanging in the window above the lamp between the sofa and fireplace wall, leaving those shutters fully open while opening the louvers only on the other two windows thereby keeping all the window treatments the same while having those centered above the sofa different.

http://www.jdmglass.com/Blue%20bonnett%20hanging%20panel.jpg

http://www.jdmglass.com/rebeccas%20panel%20complete.jpg

https://img1.etsystatic.com/032/0/5450468/il_340x270.651138095_1s3h.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=stained+glass+for+windows&biw=1366&bih=622&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjzleOHjo7PAhXHFz4KHbZjBAoQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=stained+glass++windows+hangings

---

• havingfun
    7 years ago

i threw away everything i had before since it did not elicit any attention.

WYNDENHALL Hawkins End Side Table - 17463465 - Overstock.com Shopping - Great De · More Info

Discount Table Lamps on Hayneedle - Table Lamps On Sale - Page 3 · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

Birch Lane Penelope Pillow Cover | Birch Lane · More Info

Amazon.com: Red Square Cushion Cover Ethnic Rug Decorative Throw Pillow Case Ori · More Info

Blue Solid Color 12"x12" Velvet Throw Pillows Cover, Navy Shimmer · More Info

Steinhafels - Cable Knit Pillow · More Info

Modern Decorative & Throw Pillows | AllModern · More Info

pillow Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info

pillow Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info
    is this more appealing? Please tell me i will be upset, do you like some? tell me which or should i get rid of all. this is a more classic kind of look in my opinion. a couple tapestries, the rest are made by a rug company, so another form of tapestry.

• havingfun
    7 years ago

i don't want to go back to curtains till this is done.

• lovetodance244
    7 years ago

You've got great Windows throughout! I'd address them first as it's an investment but it really warms rooms up. Do 1-inch cellular blinds on all windows in a light neutral color. Your TV room, the large window could be a top down-bottom up cellular as well as the window in your kitchen? You already have a side panel curtain rod in the kitchen so just choose a nicer fabric and do a proper floor-length drape. Same style in the TV room.

The fan light is a little harsh. Can you either change it out or paint it to blend with the ceiling?

The ottoman is cozy but a little heavy looking. Can you maybe do a glass coffee table as well as side lamp table? Something to reflect more light into the room. Then go shopping for those toss cushions, some patterned, some plain,

have fun!

Barbara

• Christy Reves
    7 years ago

I think some Navajo rug like pillows would look great. I can also see olive or spice colored leather. (Wouldn't some cowboy fringe or braid be fun?) I think you need to introduce another texture element like metal or straw. I would probably scoot the couch away from the window and perhaps place a narrow couch table behind to place reading lamps, pottery, candle sticks, art sculpture or something of visual interest. A round copper top table would be kid friendly as well unless you are very attached to the leather ottoman. I would hand curtains with a two tone or two pattern design. Solid color on top and print or contrast on bottom. This could also be used in the dining area. I would hand a more substantial curtain rod and consider changing out the light kit on the ceiling fan. Don't know if any of these ideas appeal to you, but it is fun hearing from another's perspective. Good luck.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all so much for the ideas.
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

monica, what i tried to say - brain burps, was that it will not upset me.

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

The room seems very dark. I'd stay away from dark colors and concentrate on getting some adequate lighting here. End tables should be equal to arm height or a hair shorter.

Dixon Side Table | Crate and Barrel · More Info

Entu Side Table | Crate and Barrel · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I only read a few comments. Are you changing anything in the kitchen / eating? If not I think those curtains should be lively! Add color there.

Chalk paint dinette barn red or a blue .... or new stools.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

This fabric comes in 3 other color-sets for 18 a yard.

Santa Maria Gem Waverly Fabric · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Each is 49 dollars indoor/ outdoor. Another is called Mimosa.

Santa Maria Indoor/Outdoor Panel, Azure, 52x95 · More Info

• Craig Andresen
    7 years ago

To havingfun, you removed a bunch of the pillows that we liked too. I know some of the navy ones were ones we were still looking at (some from Amazon maybe with a more geometric pattern?). Don't bother going back and removing stuff--it won't bother us :-).

• havingfun
    7 years ago

sorry, can you put like underneath, i will leave them then. see what i can replace

Loom and Mill 18" x 18" Purple Circles Decorative Pillow · More Info

Loom and Mill 18" x 18" Green Damask Decorative Pillow · More Info

Keaton Santa Fe Throw Pillow, 18" · More Info

Pillows Under $35 Sale | Joss & Main · More Info

Gotcha Print Throw Pillow Cover, Navy Blue and White Cotton, 16" · More Info

Natural Pearlized, Beige 12"x14" Cotton Linen Lumbar Pillow Cover · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

throw pillows decorative pillows chair pads home decor | Kohl's · More Info

Gathered Square Pillow | Arhaus Furniture · More Info

Throw Pillow Cover, Velveteen and Pink Floral Hearts Print, 18" · More Info

Blue Solid Color 12"x12" Velvet Throw Pillows Cover, Navy Shimmer · More Info

Amazon.com - Brentwood Originals 7650 Avalon Pillow, 13 by 20-Inch, Purple - · More Info

Modern Decorative Pillows - Size: 18" Square | AllModern · More Info

Amazon.com: purple decorative pillow covers · More Info

• PRO
    Barn & Willow
    7 years ago

Hello!

Do check out Barn & Willow for curtains! Your current ones are very short, and I think that a light neutral, like our Belgian textured linen in Oyster would look really nice in your room.

Miss Mustard Seed's Living Room · More Info

We also have free fabric swatches, so you can find one that would suit your windows.

• havingfun
    7 years ago

so ops did you like any of the pillows?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Wow! Tons of ideas. Here is a simple tip. Go shopping and select 6-8 different pillows with colors you like, making sure you can return ones that don't work. Then, bring them home and in your light at different times of day the best ones will emerge. Then, you will have your color palette. Then you can select another chair (not too big and preferably swivel so someone could turn to kitchen to chat or back to conversation area, or watch TV. Do that in solid color of your favorite color in your favorite pillow. Wait til you put that together before you tackle window treatments. There are loads of those available so take your time. A tip on your book shelfs. 1/3 books, 1/3 interesting accessories repeating some key color. 1/3 open spaces. You don't need to fill them up. I think you have a roadmap here. Go shopping and enjoy. Some fabric stores have collections of pillows that would give you loads of ideas without running all over the place! Enjoy!
  • Craig Andresen
    7 years ago
    I think we're leaning towards a dark navy patterned pillow, something like this, to start.

From there I think we'll add a touch of another color and texture. We like the idea of navy with subtle coral/orange (not too much because of the bookshelf color) or rust with darker grey as one of the above posters showed in a picture with the rust colored throw. We think we like those more than the more muted colors, I'm just afraid we won't be able to make it look nice picking ourselves! Once we decide between those two color palette options, we'll tackle window treatments. We were always told to do curtains first, but we really like the previous poster's advice to just get a bunch of easily returnable pillows and go from there. Thanks for the added perspective! This is so hard for us as neither of us are good at it. We've gotten such great advice here. We need to just get some options in our room and go from there!
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

Amazon.com: New Illustration Painting Mare And Colt Standard Size Design Square · More Info

Square Tucked Pillow In Henna | Arhaus Furniture · More Info

Brown Solid Color 18"x18" Velvet Throw Pillows Cover, Choco Shimmer · More Info

Steinhafels - Cable Knit Pillow · More Info

Trio Grid Pillow Cover · More Info

Amazon.com: BLUETTEK® 18" X 18" Embroidered Cotton Linen Decorative Throw Pillow · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Just idea for a throw, etc.. that echoes rustic vibe of stone. Doesn't have to look lodge-y. Such a pattern in neutral too.

Feathered Stripe Throw, Cobalt · More Info
    Feathered Stripe Throw, Flax · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Seeing this type of colors -- what about navy with stone-gold ?

Deny Designs Iveta Abolina Gray Yellow Feathers Fleece Throw Blanket · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I'd think it ok if you bought appropriate fabric [from same curtain line] and sewed it at Dining's bottom. Would this neutral go with and with navy? idea not meant to 'show' on sofa's color idk:

Cream & Beige Indian Pillow Covers Felt Wool 20"x20" Textured, Cream Texture · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

no rug here needed, but somewhere, pretty nice for 110:

5'x8' Brown Living Room Floral Machine Made Area Rug · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

Home | Living Room | Pillows | H&M US · More Info

Rizzy Home Orange 18" x 18" Pillow Cover with Hidden Zipper · More Info

Rizzy Home White Embroidered Artistic Stripe Decorative Accent Pillow - Decorati · More Info

Decorative Pillows | Wayfair · More Info

Amazon.com: Wendana Decorative Pillow Covers 18 x 18 Geometric Throw Pillow Cove · More Info

Modern Decorative Pillows - Size: 18" Square | AllModern · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

is this more like what you wanted?

you might be happy with these 2 predones?

Amazon.com: Shinnwa 4 Pcs Cotton Linen Embroidery Decorative Throw Pillow Case C · More Info

or
    Amazon.com: Floral Blue and White Howarmer® Cotton Canvas Decorative Throw Pillo · More Info
    with
    Amazon.com: Shinnwa 3 Pcs Cotton Linen Accent Decorative Throw Pillow Covers Cus · More Info

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.