leanne67

Need help with garden paths

leanne67
11 years ago
Hi there, I just love your website :) We have started landscaping in our front yard which we are making into a courtyard as we have a really awkward back yard and have easier access to the front. We need to put paths along the full perimeter of our house. The front, back and utility sides of the house are flat but the easterly side is quite sloped, especially in the small area in front of the gate. Our landscaper has suggested to concrete the whole area but I feel that this would look like a concrete jungle.

I thought that using gravel would be a real possibility but tricky on the sloped area so perhaps we could use concrete pavers. We have a local company that makes them in charcoal (or white) and sizes are 300 x 300mm, 400 x 400 mm and 500 x 500 mm and 48mm thick or larger ones that are white only are 600 x 600mm, 760 x 760mm and 915 x 457mm (these are all 50mm thick).

We live Australia and in a really dry area that is often hot in summer but we get heavy frosts in winter. Since my elderly mother lives with us we need something that is not slippery in normal circumstances and would prefer not to build stairs on the sloped area in case we need to use a wheelbarrow in this area. Because of our climate we would prefer not to have any lawn. The current concrete path will be removed as it doesn't serve any useful purpose.

We would really appreciate advice on materials, sizes of pavers if recommended and layout and any other tips taking into consideration cost (eg the 500 x 500 pavers are $12.50 each and large 915 x 457 are $29 each). Thanks very much in anticipation. Cheers, Leanne.

Comments (6)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.