patrina_cossey

HE WANTED COLOUR!

Patrina
6 years ago
Hi Houzzers so we are in the middle of redecorating our guest room and my husband's one stipulation was that he wanted a mustard colour. So far I've convinced him to have mustard as decorative features so I've refinished some bed side table bought on a whim a few in the ago. Grateful for any suggestions on incorporating his desired colour. Walls are just off midish Gray.

Comments (35)

• rachelmidlands
    6 years ago
    Wow! Just want to say the drawers look fantastic! Well done. As for other suggestions, maybe the odd cushion or artwork but keep the rest fairly paired back and neutral. The drawers should definitely be the main feature of the room. Love them:)
  • Sonia
    6 years ago
    The chest of drawers look fab! I would carry on the grey theme throughout with odd pops of mustard in cushions and maybe a rug in mustard/white to tie it all in. That would be enough mustard - less is more! Good luck.
  • Related Discussions

Need Help on Colour Painting

Q

Comments (9)
    One refinement on the all white solution: get three distinct whites for walls, ceiling, and trim. While you are considering marine-gloss magenta for the dining room, you will feel less as though you are a prisoner in a stark white box. Benjamin Moore has some lovely, non-stark whites and off whites in their classic whites group. Their historical collection is particularly soothing, including: Concord Ivory Monterey White greys Edgecomb Gray Wickham Gray (very pale) Stonington Gray (a little darker) Revere Pewter (warm) Coventry Gray (neutral) pale yellows Windham Cream Hepplewhite Ivory and plenty of interesting beiges.
    ...See More

What colour curtains for my living room?

Q

Comments (13)
    I understand the look and would possibly compromise by bringing a white and brown striped curtain into play. This would add verticality and tie your wallpaper and white cabinet into the decor. When open you would have subtle brown and white stripes, and when closed a continuation of the wall pattern
    ...See More

What sink & cooker colour should i buy, i have an all white kitchen

Q

Comments (1)
    I vote A! What did you decide to do?
    ...See More

Clueless on rug color! Help me find my perfect rug!

Q

Comments (27)
    You already have your accent colour as your sofa pillows (log roll pillows). I would take one of them shopping with me to get a rug that has that colour in it. It doesn't need to be a lot of that colour (I love the idea of burgandy rug here...but it might be too much with your monotone scheme). You can find a large rug that incorporates that red/raspberry in it so that you have a colour that is now your accent.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    MERRICK DESIGNS
    6 years ago

agree with forzaitalia, deep grey with odd pop of mustard

• adelemalcolm12
    6 years ago

Nothing to add just to say... wow! Fab job on those drawers. A.

• Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow thanks Houzzers, please keep the ideas coming. I hope to do this fab colour justice and would appreciate all the help I can get
  • Emma
    6 years ago

The bedside table is amazing, I love the wallpaper on the back!

You've probably seen these already, but might be helpful. You could switch the ways the colours are on the bedside table in this photo, so have a grey lampshade:

St Ives, Cornwall · More Info

Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

Can't wait to see your finished room!

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Love the wallpaper! I agree less is more. I'd start with 3 things and If it needs more add a couple of other pieces. It would be good to see pics of the room to see what else is in there stylewise however I'd add navy. The navy quilt and mustard cushion are from bedeckhome (1/2 price ATM!). As you've only got one bedside table I'd add a floor lamp the other side if there's room. I love the brass one in the pic, both John Lewis and French connection have similar ones. The navy velvet throw is from the French bedroom company and the art is from Attiko art

• Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments/ideas. @minnie101 Sorry I didn't post both I do have two bedside tables but finished the one posted first to give me some motivation (all that sanding is way overrated-but so worth it). I'm in the process of adding skirting to ceiling mirrors on either side of the bed with a very tall fabric headboard in middle the walls are a silver to mid Grey which came out very well. I've attached an in progress picture but still sourcing a roman blind which will be Grey as the main colour with mustard edge down both sides. Not too sure about a blind/curtain combo? I will also be adding an armchair similar to the one attached and also plan to add a greyish piece is art to the opposite wall for balance. Don't have the budget to change the artex ceiling unfortunately yuck!. The fabric hanging off the bed is for the headboard. Bold choice I know, but hope it turns out well.
  • Joanna Biddolph
    6 years ago

I endorse what minnie101 said - try three things. I read, I think here on Houzz, that you need three things in a room to make a colour work and they can be any three things - small, big, a pot, a vase, a lamp, a picture - and spread them around the room rather than put them all together. I've done that in my sitting room and it really works. That mustard colour is fabulous! What is the paint called? And I thoroughly approve of bold headboards!

• Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Joanna I also subscribe the less is more, that is why I talked my husband into not having it on the walls. The paint colour is Dulux deep Delhi Bazaar 3.
  • Joanna Biddolph
    6 years ago

Patrina Thanks so much. I am particularly happy to know it's a paint with an Indian name as I want an Indian feel. Great to know and I'll look for it. I am not sure the three things was about less is more; it was about being able to make a colour fit in when it's an accent, rather than a dominating, colour. Just one thing and it looks odd; two still a bit odd but three and it suddenly feels coherent. That was my understanding of the three rule. You can have more than three but it must be at least three. Thanks again. Really appreciate your swift response.

• Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not a problem my aim is to not go overboard with our accent colour.
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Just a glimpse of the the bedside in situ I love the glimpse of the back in the mirror which is the look I was going for. I will post some pics of the whole room once It's finished
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    Love it! Very clever with the pretty backside and the mirror.
  • Emma
    6 years ago

That look great! I love the artwork too

• Joanna Biddolph
    6 years ago

Very well done. I love the tricks mirrors play!

• rachelmidlands
    6 years ago
    Love it! The wallpaper on the back of the drawers reflected by the mirror is inspired. Can't wait to see the finished room.
  • PRO
    World of Wallpaper
    6 years ago

Love the sneak peek of the bedside table it situ!

Another way to get some of the yellow in the room is using a yellow wallpaper to line the back of a shelving unit (if you've got one in the room).

Could even try a yellow and grey wallpaper if you want to tie both colours together.

• Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not quite finished still need to find the perfect rug and a few more decor stuff. eventually the bed will be changed to a divan but for now budget dosen't allow for this. we hope our guests will enjoy this room. the first pic is what the room looked like before
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oops! forgot to post the pics ;-)
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    some more
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Any suggestions on a rug welcomed
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It looks fab. Very opulous. How about white sheepskins (faux or real, IKEA has them) at the bedsides to sink your feet into when getting out of bed?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hello Patrina,

Mustard or Yellow are fantastic colours and very uplifting. An excellent choice!

Consider the possibility that you immerse yourself in the COLOUR... bathe in the dramatic and then team it with something unexpected. So the accent is deliberate rather than just merely cautious. Another great way to use colour is to have gradients of the desired tone... It creates interest and allows you to "texturise" the walls... Like this and the colour is deliberate and dramatic it throws caution to the wind and offers the unexpected- my design for a private members club called, what else but... "The Amber Nectar" :))

• rachelmidlands
    6 years ago
    Looks fantastic! possibly a plain navy rug might work? I'm sure it'll look great whatever you choose:)
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Houzers once again thank you for your kind comments the room turned out better than I imagined you guys hsve been fab as usual :-)
  • A K
    6 years ago
    amazing! Did you spend hours sanding those bedside, and what type of paint did you use? looks glossy??
  • Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    AK yes I did spend hours just me and my little mouse sander but so worth it. The paint is oil and is called Dulux deep Delhi Bazaar 3 which I got mixed in-store. Lots of hours a primer coat and three patiently applied coats of mustard later and I am glad I put the effort in.
  • A S
    6 years ago
    Your room looks absolutely stunning! A fantastic incorporation of a bold colour!
  • nanabello
    6 years ago
    I've never been tempted to comment before, but you've done an absolutely amazing job.
    It has come together beautifully and honestly inspired me to finish our half-heartedly decorated master bedroom.
    My guests can only dream of such a room. Well done!
  • Karen Mason
    6 years ago
    Well done, it looks amazing, only thing I can fault is the radiator.
    Could you get a radiator cover and paint the sane colour as the walls.
  • PRO
    Metal Monkey Designs
    6 years ago

Here are some sliding wardrobe doors we produce in a driftwood design, hand painted, with a touch of mustard and fine detailing -very masculine

• Patrina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you both, rad covers are a sore point in my house I love them Hubby don't but thank you for your suggestion I think it is brilliant Idea I will do that I think. After all he won't be sleeping in there ;-)
  • Joanna Biddolph
    6 years ago

Or you can paint the radiator the same colour as the walls. It's not as smart as having a cover but it makes a huge difference.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.