webuser_409534

Hutch. Yay or nay?

Joy M
5 years ago
I can't decide if I love the hutch in my dining room or not. I have another room in the house I can move it to. The first pic is from the foyer. Prior to I had plates on the wall and did like the simplicity of them. Hutch. Yay or nay in this space?

Comments (63)

• ulisdone
    5 years ago

The hutch does give your room some gravitas. Also needed: a rug with the blonde of the wood (yellow beige) and a repeat of the wall green.

And a blonde table runner.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Without the hutch. Without the plates. I would like a large mirror with a wood frame there instead. Would look nice reflecting the lights in the chandelier.

• Joy M
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here are a few more photos. Our living, dining, and kitchen all open into each other. I love green and white dishes. ❤️. I think I'll move the hutch to another room, plates back on the wall, but look for a narrow table under them and a rug. Thank you all for your input. Hubby will be so excited to move it.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    The hutch is perfect for that wall. Move it more toward switch. Reverse chairs and bench. Paint the green walls more neutral color but do the wall behind the hutch in a darker tone. I will think about colors. Then tie that color into cushions for chairs. Add table arrangement that further ties things together. The hutch is the focal point for both rooms!
  • teeda
    5 years ago

I don't normally like hutches, so was prepared to vote nay before I saw the photo. I really like that hutch in your room--but only if you paint it! I would do a dark gray/almost black. I never suggest that, but think your hutch would look great in a very dark color. I would paint the interior a lighter color, and clean up the brass hardware a bit (don't remove all the patina) to make it pop more. The hutch works really well with your chairs--it just doesn't work with the stain of the rest of the wood.

• gdevlinjr
    5 years ago
    I like the hutch. I am not crazy about the decor on top. I see what people are saying about the table and hutch not matching but I do think it finishes the room. You can still split the plates on either side or another wall but I like it
  • Joy M
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I swapped the chairs and bench, removed the decor on top. I would consider making the hutch darker. I don't want to repaint the walls. Thoughts now?
  • Sandybean
    5 years ago
    Such a difference with those small changes! I too like the hutch there, but agree it should move closer to the wall switch. Son
    Something on the table to tie it to the hutch including a nice runner, maybe scrunch up the runner.
  • Sandybean
    5 years ago
    Perhaps it's just the angle the pic was taken...is the hutch centered on the chandelier?
  • My House
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm changing my vote from above. Although, I do not care for what was on top of the hutch, it does need SOMETHING. BASKETS?

I like the idea of flanking the hutch with plates on both sides. The additional plates on the side will widen the space. I like the rug plan. I noticed the woven island bar seats.... Add something else woven on that side of the room, like a basket?

• seregiel
    5 years ago
    I think my biggest problem with both is the light switch plate. It just floats in an odd location, so this is a time I’d probably try to match it to the walls and make it “go away”.
  • Joy M
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The hutch is centered on the wall not the chandelier. We use this room and table every day.
  • Joy M
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Added a runner and center piece.
  • Jan
    5 years ago
    Like the last picture you posted. Center the hutch with the table.
    I’m not sure about the runner.
  • My House
    5 years ago

Something to consider.... Blend the wall socket with wood details, like board and batten or chair rail moldings ? Below is a formal look. Board and batten would be a casual look.

• User
    5 years ago

Hutch yay.

• imhofan
    5 years ago

Swapping the bench is perfect-- looks great and adds balance to room (chairs opposite hutch).

Helpful pic of kitchen---- you absolutely need the hutch there! Balances the kitchen cabinetry etc. I would scoot it down closer to "switch". Can always add a plant or something if desired in corner, or room for artwork, or a line of your white plates to left of hutch.

You could try a bronze or other switch plate if desired.

I vote nay on the table runner.

Looking good!

• 1stgarden
    5 years ago

Hutch yay.

What do you think? Yay or nay? That's all that counts.

Hu 200

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Been thinking about wall color. I think a blue/gray would work really well. Plus your white dishes would look good with a blue too.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Sorry just saw you don’t want to paint. Think about that. Green is not a good dining color. But your choice of course.
  • acm
    5 years ago

I would prefer a large piece of art there -- over a buffet if you need storage -- to either hutch or plates. Especially the view from the door could use less crowding and more color.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

The hutch is a big old no. Every Salvation Army and thrift store in this country is overwhelmed by pieces like this because everyone had one and now they're just too dated.

• mary3047
    5 years ago
    Would some of those beautiful white soup bowls on top of the cupboards fit into the hutch ? I think it would tie the two rooms together nicely.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Just a rough mock up with gray/blue walls and white dishes in hutch. Center piece is nice with whites and you have room for some white plates either side of hutch.
  • mary3047
    5 years ago
    Try putting the 2 beautiful candlesticks beside the hutch under the switch
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    You could just do the wall behind hutch in blue. Blues and greens place nice together. They are in nature together!
  • Joy M
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Flo you are awesome! I do love the blue green color combination. There is no stopping point between the dining and kitchen on the wall behind the hutch though. I definitely want to get more white dishes to fill the hutch. The curtains in the living room and dining room are a cream with green toile pattern.
  • shars55
    5 years ago
    I'm not a decorator, but I like it there. And as far as other people getting rid of theirs, trends come and go. If you like it, that's all that matters. Who cares what anyone else does....I have a hutch and I like it, so it's not going anywhere!!!
  • PRO
    NIELSEN DYE DESIGN, INC.
    5 years ago

I prefer the hutch vs. the plates as I feel that you need something of this size/scale in your dining room. With that said, it really doesn't match your dining set and it looks a bit odd together (I also don't like the bench at your table....you need chairs since it is your formal dining table). Maybe if you could strip and stain your hutch in the same stain as the table would help tie all of this together for you. Good luck.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

What you do is tie the color of the hutch and table together with other elements. Change that one wall color to work with the green you have (drapes are neutral enough that they will look fine) and then place a combination of the blue and green vases on the table using around 5 vases/pots and a few natural greens. It is very common in France to have light and dark woods together and more and more are doing it in this country and Canada. Just make it your own.

Uttermost Philippa 2-Piece Finial Set, Powder Blue · More Info

Some blue finials. with some green pots and you have a "tablescape".

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Lime Temple Jar · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

The tones don't have to match, just look pleasing together.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

I would just do that whole wall in the blue. AND, put those beautiful white soup tureens, etc you have on top of your cabinets in the hutch. What a great collection, and they aren't being shown to their best advantage. Just add a blue and green one with a white one on the table and you have it done! Great combo! I could see a wooden tray roughly the color of your hutch for the table to tie the hutch in and help bring the two finishes together. Lots of options. You have the elements, just need to tie them together.

• Jennifer Dube
    5 years ago

I think the hutch ties in nicely with the chair seats. Swapping the benches and chairs made a huge difference.

I rather like your green walls -- in fact we had that same green in our master bedroom in our last place.

Though hutches are dated I think it works great in your space. That said, you could always try just removing the top (the glass cabinet part) and using the base as a server, with plates above, and some of your tureens on top. It's easy enough to give it a try, or just for a change of pace.

• Jennifer Dube
    5 years ago

As an added benefit, you then have the top of the server to place food and drinks and such when entertaining.

• Jennifer Dube
    5 years ago

I think I'd take one or two of your white tureens down and fill it with gourds and use it for a Fall centerpiece.

• imhofan
    5 years ago

I agree with Flo on the paint-- but totally also get the desire not to paint again!

Few things looking back on photos: I would remove the tureens from on top of your cabinets. Display them in your buffet and dress them on your table with perhaps finials as Flo posted and then some greenery or other in one of the tureens.

Another observation: It is difficult to view your rod, but it appears like the last ring is inside of the wall bracket? II think you could benefit from moving the last ring of each drape panel to the outside of the rod bracket. It is a design tip that helps enlarge the window and gives better view from front (filling the rod) and usually better side view. Like this image I quickly pulled up.... BTW- Love toile and is perfect with your table/buffet/decor. Classic and lovely! (and your paint color does not need to "match" the green in your toile:).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Plus, some rods have a hole in the wall bracket for one additional hook to make for a "return" and close the ends up. That gives a nice polished look too.

• Sandybean
    5 years ago
    I agree those tureen a would look great in your hutch and on the table. Hang some of your plates above the cabinets in place of them but none above the tall cabinet.
  • Joy M
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Good mornings fellow Houzz friends, I was busy last night. I moved all of the tureens to the hutch and I love it. I do feel like the kitchen lacks personality now though. Should I add a window treatment to the kitchen window?
  • silviakunst
    5 years ago
    I think the plates look much too skimpy ! If I had to choose between the two it would be the hutch ...but ...can you stain the wood the same color as the table ..? ...the different wood colors ...are a problem
    Anyhow if you have another room for it ...start over ..I would put a side table with a large beautiful mirror or painting ...are you buying any rugs in your house ....you may need some ...
  • Joy M
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    There's been mixed opinions about anything on top of the hutch or not. Are the pitchers ok on top? If not I can move them to the corner kitchen counter.
  • Kate
    5 years ago
    The hutch now looks so much better with white pottery. Also, i like the kitchen better without stuff on top of the cabinets. Yes add a window treatment in the kitchen to soften it up. Do not add anything on top of the cabinets.
  • njay
    5 years ago
    Hutch and table don't coordinate. I don't like the plates either. I think you need a larger piece of art work on that wall.
  • imhofan
    5 years ago

I love how you have arranged the tureens-- even on top of hutch--and I usually don't like anything- but I think is perfect!

yes- flat roman shade style over sink- and a backsplash would really make impact:)

• mary3047
    5 years ago
    Much better all around in my opinion . You have the beautiful collection of plates. Hate to see them tucked away someplace. Not sure if or how to also put them up someplace . Any ideas anyone? Maybe a row up and down each side of the window?
  • cpaul1
    5 years ago

There was a long period of time that people had real china so they needed these pieces of furniture to house them. And now people don't use tea cups and saucers so they no longer need a place to store them. We need to move on and have our homes reflect the way we live today, not how people lived in 1950. I know there is a sentimental value to them, but there is no financial value, can't give that stuff away because the antique stores know they already have too much of it and no one is buying it. Sad, but true.

• shars55
    5 years ago
    Some of us STILL DO use real china. If we want a hutch, then we will have a hutch. Our kids can toss them after we kick the bucket if they want. People who don't want a hutch, china, tea cups, etc are welcome to decorate their house any way they want, and I'll decorate mine they way I want. I LIVE IN IT, not someone else.
  • Jennifer Dube
    5 years ago

I have two sets of china, one from my wedding and one from my grandmother (depression era floral pattern). This isn't counting the daily use dish set. Yet i don't have a hutch to store them in. I have them stored in built in slab cabinets in my DR, which is modern. I.e, behind doors and not on display. But that is how my house is designed -- modern. If I had a more traditional style home like the OP -- especially one with such interesting vaulted ceiling -- then yes a hutch would make sense. I think it gives her DR gravitas and it very much works with her decor. The hutch is beautiful and so is the china!!

• Jan
    5 years ago
    Hey cpaul, no we don’t need to “move on”. I have my “wedding china” and I’m not getting rid of it. If you don’t want a hutch or China or family heirlooms that’s ok. Just don’t push your ideas on some one else.
    I love her china cabinet and soup tureens.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.