trish_blakeley

help with my decision!!!

These two photos are of the same exact 3 colors (actually one color) lightened by 50 and 75%. Revere Pewter.
It’s going I. A fairly large living room and common area as well as blending into kitchen. Need help on ceiling and wall choice please

Comments (62)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    It’s Hue Angle is 111 which puts it in Green/Yellow hue family in the warm segment. This hue family is usually good in your type lighting but it will have some green hue.
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I just bought the owl gray -balboa mist-and the oak one Will take a video and paint the colors when I get back in a few.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with my balcony!

Q

Comments (19)
    You can check out the outdoor floor tiles like the Scala (Google Snap and Go tile) which are easy to piece additionally on the ground for a new look. ;) I saw another brand here, http://list.qoo10.sg/item/OUTDOOR-TIMBER-FLOOR-TILE-SINGAPORE-SELLER-100-AUTHENTIC-BEAUTIFUL/482453309 (not sure where this brand is from but they all work the same). They even have faux grass, stones as well as timber. Definitely easy to DIY, and you can combine different surfaces together if you want (stones and wood combo for example).
    ...See More

Need help on placing my furniture in the living and dining room

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Trishtham, you can consider to have a see through TV feature wall or a glass panel wall with lower part as your TV console to create the location for TV and space for wall outside bedroom 2 as the location for sofa. If You want a spacious living room space, can even consider to extend the study room wall to push the TV feature further towards dining area.
    ...See More

Need help with my kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (6)
    Hello there :) Nice design by the way. Perhaps you can: 1. Change the door panels only. Keep the existing shape & the cupboards, the carpenter can 'update' the doors with different handles too (like image above). 2. Spray paint is more $$$ but I think it is longer lasting. 3. Laminated is less $$ but as we all know it chips & eventually the laminate comes out (wear & tear). 4. Unless you want the inside of the cabinet to be changed from existing white to a different colour, then the carpenter have to dismantle everything & redo. So more $$$$ Hope this helps & Happy shopping!
    ...See More

Need help designing my corridor

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi razis_wwf13, here are two articles on Houzz to get you started with. Although they are international, some ideas are applicable to the HDB context. My favourite is to use the corridor as an artwork gallery with some proper lighting :) [10 Clever Tips to Better Use Corridors[(https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/10-clever-tips-to-better-use-corridors-stsetivw-vs~77897314) [Create a Welcoming Hallway When you Don't Have one[(https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/create-a-welcoming-hallway-when-you-dont-have-one-stsetivw-vs~81092193)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The oak floor is still on the table. We looked at a couple of floor choices one was the Homerwood KerfKut hickory in Silver , but hickory in Montana doesn’t go well over radiant heat floor. And I don’t want to put whole house humidifiers in. We just did it in last house. It was forced air.
    We are probably stuck with an engineered thick wear layer oak of some type. I have been leaning a bit more towards some natural tints and stains. I’ll throw something Together. And an exterior photo might help. With surroundings etc
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    The moonshine is 10 points on the LRV scale more reflective than RP. BUT just depends in what stain you will use on the rustic alder and the color of your flooring. Etc.
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here are the next three samples. L-R on column and on kitchen wall. The first photo ignore the far left large sample.
    Balboa mist - Pale Oak- Gray Owl
  • dan1888
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you're going to cut the tint formula in half and again in half you should get the actual colorant amounts of the original color and what they mix for you. I've found often colors that move lighter on a sample card are often proportional reductions of a darker formula. But the paint manufacturer will not lighten the formula for a gallon beyond what they can divide it to be able to mix a quart. This is based on what they can measure on their tint dispenser. So if you want a lighter color than is offered try requesting the quart amount in a gallon. It's not going to be something BM or SW offers normally. But it could give you what you want for your use.

When colors are mixed to match the exterior of cars the parts are mixed by weight. A lot more precision is required with generally more different types of components when trying for a near exact match.

• PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Front door solid Alder - front entry. Not all stained yet (too cold outside) rear of house faces east and chimney cap is solid copper ( not on yet ) stairs will stay steel liking with 2” sandstone steps and landing. Cast iron old Newell posts from an old rectory/ catholic school will be bead blasted and we will put hammered nickel and copper into the recessed panels on them. Custom railing probably something chunky and organic but Not feminine. The wood surrounding stairs will have stone on it (Harristone Ledgestone in Midnight).
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Stone - chimney cap. - tile I was waffling over
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

The only worse way to select colors than on a computer screen is over the telephone.

Skunk dog holdings LLC thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

amen brotha..JUST NEED A PUSH ...this house is kicking my ars!

• PRO
    Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
    5 years ago

Hello Trish,

I would not break up the wall and ceiling color in the vaulted space. Paint the walls and ceiling sample #2. Paint walls only paint sample #2 in the rest of the space with ceilings in white.

• PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That was one thing I was sort of waffling on as well ,,,as my beams are not finished yet. When they're done they will resemble your lower photo, with corbels and a support member up the first 78" and we are putting mortise pegs in them ..

My issue with the paint colors is that there are mostly cabinets and appliances in the kitchen along the octagon wall so not really much wall space except the little nook with all of the windows ,.,wondering where to break it up and roll the Lving room color into it ,..I was actually thinking of doing ceiling the lighter color that Flo suggested (PPG Delicate White) and then use the Pal Oak (Middle sample) for the walls then run the ceiling color into the kitchen to brighten it up a bit ..there will be a huge island in center as well as one dividing the living area from kitchen ,,so plenty of distractions.JUST WONDERING IF IT'LL BE TOO WHITE!

I don't decorate with a ton of "Stuff"- (Hate dusting) so Im trying to keep the great room pretty clean but not" modern" looking. I want people to come in and feel comfortable nothing sterile feeling......We have a 100 year old red Persian rug that was purchased at an estate sale recently, and plan to purchase some Chesterfield type sofa and chairs to make it a more masculine decor In there ..the fire place wall will be pretty dark so I have to keep it lighter on walls as well ...lots of windows in the room ..ceiling is about 23ft at peak -14 ft on sides .

I like the landscape part ,,,not the foo foo stuff. Id rather be stamping concrete.

My hubby seems to be stuck In the 90's as far as taste for things so he's no help,,,,

I keep looking at bottom photo and like every thing about it

• PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

what is that wall color ??

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Trisha- wow. What an amazing home. Lived in North Muskegon MI and understand winter on Lake Michigan. Those pictures help. You asked about ceiling color but with the windows and beams and super high ceilings i would paint ceiling and walls same color in the Pale Oak or similar LRV reflective value. These colors will naturally look slightly different due to the varying planes of surfaces. Horizontal walls will look slightly different than ceiling and angled walls. Use a matte or flat paint finish for walls and ceiling. Satin finish for white woodwork. Going to be amazing.
    Skunk dog holdings LLC thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Flo. I wish I had some better photos of the house. It’s the Tasseler home plan. We changed a few little things but kept it similar. Very fitting for Montana for sure . We purchased-about 5.5 acres of basically virgin land that used to be Evel Knievel’s old horse property around his house (didn’t buy that -people live in it and it’s too old) in Butte right on the country club fairway so we got lucky. We may be idiots too. Jury is still out on that one. So much to do and I’m overwhelmed with it all. Is there a mood board app or anything on the web that I can put my photos of “stuff “ onto to help me coordinate things and get inspiration. ? I think I have a lot picked. Just not pulling the trigger on all of them yet. But a mood board would def help.
    I think I’ve decided on the pale oak over everything in living area and then just walls everywhere else that gets it with the white that you suggested on ceilings. Hubbys office is going dark though. I gotta have one thing my way. The views are amazing here!
  • fissfiss
    5 years ago
    Just wondering about hickory over radiant heat...we have had it here in CO at 8000 ft for 6 years with no problems.
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I have only tinted a ceiling paint (the than a porch ceiling) once in all my years of decorating. I've done it when I've used a pinky/terracotta red for the walls. I then used a very, very pale robins egg blue on the ceiling. SO pale that if not up against white, the blue would not be noticed. I think there's a reason that ceilings have been mostly painted white now for centuries.

Skunk dog holdings LLC thanked Anglophilia
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So you should have the same issues as me as far as weather ...We are a tad over mile here where my house sits ...just super dry. My radiant heat is Warm Board so the wood or tile is a direct install over the subfloor with the grooves vs gypcrete over tubes heated floors ( no concrete here )...I'm baffled about the wood though as there are hundreds of churches and schools here with maple in them ,....go figure! But I have been told by an installer that has been doing it for over 40 years that Hickory was fine - Oak was better , but both are ok as long as they are engineered ...So because I want a 3/4" thick board it has to be a higher quality engineered with thick wear layer ...The solid wood tends to shrink up a ton in winter here and creates cracks ..and I won't put a whole house humidifier in this beast ...

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

We installed Homerwood hardwood hickory over radiant heat. The warranty was voided.

House was new construction with HVAC year ‘round. The floor did cup.

Skunk dog holdings LLC thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thats what the rep told us as well...so it's out ...I just loved the colors of it and the kerf Kut..this is why engineered is gonna have to be the go to for wood I guess...just want to get thicker wear layer ..I have 3 border collies that go at the speed of sound. need distressed or something to forgive the nail marks..ha ha

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    How beautiful. Yes there are apps.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Here is one. It is called Scrapbook. You save photos then select them into a format you select. Pretty easy to use.
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

I love your home and location. Beautiful! I must admit to not having read all the comments but looking through the photos those samples look dark to me.

Love the examples Carl Williamson gave. A soft white is what I would choose if it were me for your great room, not a gray. Will be interested to see what you choose and watch your progress., no matter what, it will be beautiful.

• PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The majority and my daughter win. We are going with the Pale Oak on walls and ceiling in great room and the Delicate white on ceilings with the Oak walls everywhere else .
    Gonna do some desperate colors in a couple of other rooms but I have some time for those
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Oops I posted a few minutes too soon. :)).

Pale Oak looks a beautiful light warm color.

• sprink1es
    5 years ago

I think the paint color really hinges on the millwork and flooring color in the room. I like the color, maybe #2 best. But everything has to work together

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Very good choice. Pale Oak will be beautiful! You’ve got this. Hale Navy for office. Or Van Deusen Blue. Lovely combo with carmel leather.
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Flo. This is crazy ! The same pic my daughter picked out for the office is the one with the spudnik light. She and you are two peas in a pod. She lives in Calgary and goes to all of the new homes being built —they’re very on trend there. So I know in my heart she’s right. But she’s always been like that. Picks good decor -etc. she’s a hair and makeup artist so she tends to pick good things. Ordering all chesterfield sofas and chairs for his office and she’s got a dark navy or blue of some type picked as well as rugs and everything. It makes me giggle. You guys picked the same stuff exactly !!
    I’m still looking at flooring. I want tile into my mud room and kitchen from garage entry. And the baths.
    I’m making mood boards as we speak .
  • DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

I think you've made good choices. The Pale Oak will act as a nice neutral backdrop for whatever else you do. It's got enough presence so it won't look wimpy in your big, beautiful space but it's not going to command attention and suck the life out of decor that you want to take a starring role or those gorgeous views.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    That is so fun. I have a kindred spirit. I love chesterfields in office spaces. Not so much in main sitting areas. The high straight arms are not teal comfortable so lower armed sofas for your great room. See what DD thinks. Going yo be so beautiful!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    *ideal
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I looked up the house and it looks fantastic but on that site it will be spectacular. One suggestion. Make sure the chesterfield will fit in office. If you kept the corner fireplace, they make furniture arrangement difficult. Plus wall space is at a premium so check on that. I always do scale layouts of each room to make sure of dimensions needed for furniture. This exercise reveals lots of issues that can be resolved early in the process. You are well along, but easier to adjust now rather than regret it later. I do think the Pale Oak is a really good choice!
    Skunk dog holdings LLC thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I think the chesterfield could go in three diff places / rooms in the house if I don’t like it in office. I’m gonna try and find one with maybe an Eased arm a bit lower maybe. But close to the same look of a chesterfield. With the leather etc I’m making that mood board so I can get some thoughts from ya.
  • lrunner
    5 years ago

Silver Satin in is one shade lighter than Balboa Mist. I used Silver Satin in several rooms of my house and I love it.

• PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok kids. My painter is telling me to get my @&&& “@$&& colors picked out. So we can order them today. Hubby’s office. Pretty decent size 18’wide x 16’ deep with window pop out. Facing E -NE Have purchased 2 black bookcases at Costco because they had amazing handles, so we have them to build on. Fireplace wall I don’t want a bench. Just a mantle to keep it streamlined a bit and open up floor space. Desk will be some sort of love edge wood about 6ft wide located in center towards window have built in cabinetry planned for the wall on last photo.
    Want a dark color. Tried Hale Navy on last house and it just didn’t work for me. And I loveee blue. So I’m looking for a more “dusty” color blue. Help FLO !
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sea serpent SW
    Grizzle gray SW
    Gibraltar SW
    ?????
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Bookcase
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Peppercorn bottom color
  • maduto
    5 years ago

SW Dustblu is a nice Dusty blue color, but not too dark.

• lrunner
    5 years ago

Sherwin Williams Metropolitan Gray is a nice dusty blue gray color. I have used it in 2 different houses. It is definitely a lighter more neutral shade though.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Have you looked at SW Dark Night! It is an awesome color. SW 6237. It is a deep green and with the views you have I think it would be very exciting and golds and woods would look amazing with it. There is an article here on Houzz talking about a place that used this color. Here is a screen shot of the color.

SW Dark Night · More Info

I love this and I think it would be amazing in your office. This rug is pretty darn awesome too. If you don't want to go with this color, another color along the lines you are talking about is SW 7076, Cyberspace. It is a dark gray and has an LRV of 6; while the Dark Night has an LRV of 4! But ya know, I think the Dark Night would be so gorgeous. Take a look and see what you think.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Some analysis. Peppercorn has a hue family of 300 which is in the Purple hue family. It could go purple with your light exposure in that room. I looked at SW Dustyblu and I think it is too light for your room but I will post analysis on that next.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

OK Trish - I did an analysis of these two colors and here it is:

paint analysis · More Info

• PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Dark night is amazing. It may be “the one “ it’s really nice in that light.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Search no further, it is "the one" Dark Night all the way. You can do the woods for the desk, the carmel leather chesterfield or you could even do a navy blue leather chesterfield. Anything goes with this color. Plus, it will look great in that light year round.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

As promised though, and it will confirm Dark Night, IMO, here are other analysis.

Here is Dustyblu and the darkest color in that Hue Family Sea Serpent. Notice the Hue Angle of 258.2 and 258.9. That puts them in the Purple/Blue Hue family so in your light will tend to lean to purple. Nice colors but not for your light IMO.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Here is the Color Strategist Color Wheel. The Hue Angles are noted on the outer edge. They are in terms of degrees. You can see the Dark Night has a hue angle of 240. That is in the Blue Hue family but close to the Blue Green family and it is in the "warm" segment of the angle. The Peppercorn is a Hue Angle of 300. You can go up the wheel to 300 and see it is in the Purple Hue family. It is hard to explain all the details, but I hope you can see that figuring out the Hue Angles really helps you in decision-making on color. Trust me, Dark Night is going to be totally amazing in this room. You surely don't want grays or even gray blues in this natural light. In all seasons it would be depressing. Go with Dark Night.

• PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Done. Ordered it ! Flo. I think I love ya !
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I love you too! Can’t wait to see this. Going to be your fav room! Might work in kitchen somehow? Not sure. Depends on cabinets. And flooring.
  • PRO
    Skunk dog holdings LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cabinet samples supposed to here today for approval. I’m operating the tele-handler now for “operation chimney cap” so I’m grounded to my post for a bit.
Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.