webuser_185943068

Help... need colour in my new kitchen!

HU-185943068
4 years ago

Hoping someone can help me as I’m at a loss... a big fat, first world problem LOSS!

We had a new kitchen installed last year, gloss grey with white quartz worktop. We kept the white tiles which we had before (husband fitted the kitchen... tiles would have pushed things over to divorce teritory).

In the hallway and dining space which is all connected to the open plan kitchen, we have some crazy colour. Bright pink walls, bright curtains etc. As the contrast is soooo stark, I think we need some balance in one of the rooms to harmonise the 2 together. At the moment one half is stark, one half is crazy.

I’ve added a couple of colourful accessories in the kitchen (pink toaster, lime breadbin) but it’s not really made any difference. Do I just need to keep going and get more accessories? I don‘t want to end up with loads of clutter on the worktops so I’m a bit wary. Or do I need to tone down my beloved bright and colourful dining room?

Any thoughts / help would be much appreciated!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    DESIGNER TOUCHES LTD
    4 years ago

Firstly congratulations to your husband for fitting the kitchen! It's not an easy task and looks like he did a great job!

In terms of your colour scheme, you are working with a complimentary scheme (fuschia and lime) which work well together. They are both very strong colours however and I would advise that the quantity of pink is reduced and the amount of light grey increased, which will leave the space feeling more balanced and perhaps consider changing your curtains, as the pattern is introducing another colour (navy) into the scheme.

I hope this has helped.

• Blue Burg
    4 years ago

Hi,

I would definitely tone down the dining room end so that it complements the kitchen rather than 'clashing' with it. You could also try taking everything out of the dining room end and just having the table and chairs in there to begin with, and maybe think about having a wooden table and chair set to re-introduce some warmth in there. I would suggest mocking it all up on sketch-up or similar first to make sure you're happy with the finished look. At the moment there's a sponsored photo to the right of your question of a dining room by Forest architecture in the vein of what I'm thinking of (not necessarily including the rug).

Good luck! - Andy

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Yes I see what you mean. The kitchen is a calm sleek room, then the other end is pow!! If I were you, I would paint over all the pink in an off white or very pale grey. Then I would remove the colourful accessories and take stock. Take a few chosen pieces that you love and put them back. Accessories don’t have to be too matchy matchy, but they need to co-ordinate. I would clear the table and just put one wooden bowl or plant on it. Exposing the wood will add warmth. I really like your curtains and blind, but I'm not sure they quite fit in the new colour scheme, if you do decide to re-paint. Here’s a few pics of grey kitchens to give you some inspiration. Note that touches of wood and plants as accessories will update the look. Think calm natural colours.

• HU-185943068
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I think you are right that instead of adding more colour to the kitchen, I need to take some of the colour out of the dining room.

My worry is that I don’t want to take out too much and end up really neutral. The rooms were both neutral before we (probably over reacted!!) and went for super bright clashy colours. We really love colour and I’m worried that if I dull things down too much we won’t be happy.

I’m wondering if whether calming some of the walls down with either a very pale grey (or possibly a much calmer pink?), clearing the dining table, adding some more textures / shades of grey and then adding some plants will be enough, or whether I need to go even more neutral.

Sonia, I love the curtains too! I love the fact they clash with the pink but if I tone the walls down I agree they won’t work! 😢

• HU-185943068
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Just adding the hallway in as well!

(stairs WIP)

• minnie101
    4 years ago

I will say now I'm useless at colour 😂 I do wonder if Farrow and ball peignoir (on walls) may work keeping your curtains? it may be too similar in tone to the units though so in which case look for a deeper shade of the peignoir?

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I tried to look at the colours in the curtains and blind, apart from the yellow, and I can see blue, pink and, I think, some green? Maybe use a paler version of those?. Or what about navy walls or dark grey? I’m not sure they will go but I’ll see if I can find a pic or two to back this up! You can add your bright colours in accessories and art - art is a brilliant way of adding colour to a neutral room. As you love colour then I think you need it, just a little bit more controlled 🤓

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I think navy walls would work. Although it is bold, it is also calm as well (if that’s possible!). I also think F&B De Nimes may work, a sort of grey-blue. Another Houzzer painted her open plan kitchen in it and I think it looks great. You can see she has added colour in cushions and the lampshade, in the pics below:-

DE NIMES BY FARROW & BALL

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Hi. It’s so refreshing to see someone who loves colour and not afraid to use it👍👍. Well done for hubby with the kitchen, it looks really smart. I like what you’ve done in the hallway pic where the pink is picture rail? height and white above. Could this be continued into the rest of the space, would it look odd?? I’m no designer so no idea if it would work but it would certainly give you some extra brightness. In terms of connecting the pink to the kitchen I think the tiles/splashback might be the only way but to save arguments😉 and easy to revert if necessary how about using a coloured grout? Think it would look good with your decor style.

• Carolina
    4 years ago

Forgot to say that the kitchen looks fab and I do like the black and yellow with the art in the hallway. And I also like the block of colour in your kitchen.

• rinked
    4 years ago

Try a jeans blue, indigo, stiffkey blue. It wil make your curtains fit in better too.

Or a more bland color (white) and then look for a bold colored dining set?

Even metallic charcoal came to mind, but not sure if that would help ease it down. I agree the pink is too harsh with the serene kitchen.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I would be considering painting the walls in a color that works with the main colour in the curtains- I might consider Farrow and Ball Hay and then add dark grey accents so that your existing bright accent stand on their own and have maximum impact

• HU-185943068
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think a navy / denimy blue is a great idea- will go with everything whilst also acting as a neutral for the pink and yellow. And I LOVE the idea of the pink grout! I would never have thought of that. THANK YOU all so much, really appreciate all of your advise!!!!

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I 100% agree with Sonia and Jonathan. It's a tricky one because to a certain extent it's down to personal preference. I would slap some white paint onto the pink to obliterate it as it is so distracting that it makes choosing another colour difficult. Pink and lime green are opposite colours which mean that they really fight for attention and clash when saturated. Tone them down if you want to use them effectively. Whatever you test, I would paint it onto large sheets of paper and pin them in two places, next to the curtains and on the wall right up to the cupboard in picture 1. It has to work with the kitchen and the curtains. Paint over the pink first as the first step, it will give you a blank canvas and make testing colours easier.

• PRO
    Test
    4 years ago

I love that your husband fitted your kitchen! It looks great.

Completely understand not wanting to lose the bright and vibrant Fuchsia, it seems like your home is rather vibrant and fun.

My recommendation would be to have one feature wall in the Fuchsia (I would advise the one behind the armchair) as this would keep the fun whilst picking up the accents of your table runner and kitchen accessories. I would then paint the walls by the window a grey to complement the colour used in the kitchen.

To compliment your curtains (instead of having to buy new ones) once you have toned down the walls, I would consider adding a throw pillow in a plain lime colour on the armchair to pick up the colour of the curtain.

It is a very personal choice, but that would be my recommendation :) I hope it helps!

• PRO
    The Rigid Kitchen Company
    4 years ago

Your new kitchen looks lovely. I would tone the colour down slightly...if you like colour then maybe change the pink for a green/blue. Or keep it neutral and add colour furniture.

Remo - Matt Dove & Silver Grey · More Info

Glacier Gloss White - Vero · More Info

• cushioncover
    4 years ago

What about adding a square panel of Alusplash behind the hob. It comes in bright colours (sadly not fuschia) and dcould add a balancing pop of colour. It can be fitted over the existing tiles and the edges tidied with trim.

We've used the dark blue in our kitchen and it.'s gorgeous.

• E D
    4 years ago

Came across this Amsterdam home and thought about yours.

Maybe not to everyone’s taste but I think it’s great.

Btw, they have a bold blue kitchen...

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.