mizfitt

Please Help Make My House Less Orange

mizfitt
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello -

My family has purchased a cottage at the lake and we would love advice on how to make the main floor less orange. We chose this house because we love the natural light, the floor plan works for us and we could afford it but I am not loving the floors and cabinetry. In the short term we just want to enjoy our summer and get a feel for the house; it is not feasible to make major changes such as replacing the floors/cabinets/countertops due to costs, a shortage of labor in the area and the man in my life putting his foot down. I would appreciate suggestions for how to tone down the orange hues - realistic short term options are painting the walls, replacing the appliances with stainless steel ones, changing the cabinet hardware and choosing complimentary furniture/floor coverings. The furniture pictured is not ours. The blinds are white aluminum horizontal mini blinds but we have no neighbors behind us so I am okay to just remove them entirely.

Long term I'd like to replace the floors and cabinets to create more of a lakehouse / cottage feel. I'd also love suggestions for a great kitchen table to fill the great empty space in the middle of the kitchen that I think is begging for an island. Or maybe I am wrong?

I am very grateful for any help.

Comments (41)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.