cassigirl

Built in living room cabinets and bookshelves

cassigirl
8 months ago

Reaching out to this experienced group for some advice. I'm adding cabinets and bookcases to my living room surrounding a large window. For ease of installation, etc., our plan is to use Ikea Besta cabinet frames for below the large window; 95"x15"x15" built-in as a long window seat but mostly for storage under the window. The "window seat" is not expected to be used functionally as a window seat, except for the dog and cat! On either side of the window, the plan is to "built in" a 29" w x24" deep x35" high cabinet. My husband will build a 13" or 14" bookcase to the ceiling on top of each side cabinet. Then trim it all in and add crown molding. The alcove where the side cabinets will go is 39" deep. We hope to use unfinished kitchen base cabinets for each side of the window. My concern is will the 24" deep side cabinets look out of balance with the 15" lower cabinets below the window? 24" seems very deep, yet 12" won't provide adequate storage space. Thanks so much!

Comment

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.