yellowonblue

my kitchen needs HELLLLLLLLP!!! :)

yellowonblue
10 years ago
Ok we just purchased this home and im not a huge fan of the kitchen-pretty basic cabinets-but I don't have the budget to get new cabinets. ive been debating on painting them white or staining them dark. im having a hard time figuring out which will look good with black appliances. any advice would be much appreciated!! I dont have a huge budget and I enjoy doing DIY projects. Also this may be a dumb question but I have no clue about flooring--can you sand and restain laminate? my understanding is laminate is just thin wood glued on plywood or whatever. please correct me if im wrong. if that is true I would think if you lightly sanded you would be able to stain it again?? THANKS!

Comments (75)

• PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    Yellowonblue....once you decide what colors you want to use, experiment on a drawer front or the island doors. Since a good paint job is all about prep this will give you a chance to figure out the best technique that you can then carry thru the space.

Good luck! Lots of DIY here for you!
  • lexmex1262
    10 years ago
    A few years ago, I painted cabinets that look almost identical to yours. I will warn you, it is a lot of work, but they turned out beautiful and it was very rewarding. People flipped out and couldn't believe they were the same cabinets. You must first sand and then fill in the grain with wood filler and then sand again. Then two coats of primer and sand between coats (I used spray can). I ended up using Sherwin Williams Pro Classic crisp linen paint and added Floetrol to the paint to help rid brush marks. Do not over brush even if you see brush marks (do not use a roller). The Floetrol slows the drying time so the paint will flatten out. I did three coats of paint and sanded after each coat (even final). Then I used Minwax polyacrylic from the spray can for a clear top final coat. Now, I am currrently remodeling another kitchen. This time, I am ordering unfinished new doors and drawer fronts from refacedepot.com. I wanted a style more updated and had no desire in sealing the grain and all the prep work before the painting, which I felt was the worst part. I still will need to do the frames, which isn't near as bad as the doors with all the ins and outs. This may be something that interest you and a huge savings over a new kitchen. Also, the crisp linen is an antique white and I was concerned with my black appliances too. However, I actually had many people state they liked the contrast of the black over the stainless. Obviously, I never regretted it and here I go, ready to do it again! :)
  • Related Discussions

Need help for my kitchen

Q

Comments (1)
    Have you tried browsing around the Modern/Contemporary photos of kitchens? I think you can find some pretty good ideas from there: https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2105 https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103
    ...See More

Need help for my kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    Your drawing does not show enough information to render much advice. I assume the few dimensions you show are in centimeters ? If you are looking for advice from US designers we are work in inches. The best advice I can offer is to hire a certified kitchen designer. Believe me it will be well worth the money when you consider the dollars spent on a kitchen remodel. You can find designers in your area thru NKBA.org.
    ...See More

Need help to determine where to place my inbuilt oven

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Fred, Thanks for the want of the precise measurements. The U shape area in my kitchen is 64" - 104 - 99" (left - centre - right). Height of the kitchen area is 107". The wall with the fridge has total length of 99" Fridge is 32" wide, 29" deep, 73" high (I bought this fridge on a good bargain but realized it was slightly oversized in this kitchen area, but got to live with it now) The wall beside the fridge is 23" deep I know some gap has to be left between this wall, the fridge and the wall mounted/countertop cabinets for ventilation I guess. So I'd say the cabinets on this wall will have a length of only 63"/64"? The microwave is 18.5 wide, 13" deep, 10.5" high The oven is 24" wide, 24" deep, 24" high. The wall next to the fridge which will have this feature cabinet 42" wide, 110" high which is next to the main door. I'm thinking the feature wall is kind of plain, but it covers up where the fridge is sticking out.
    ...See More

Need help for my kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    Correction: to construct two separate 2 ft run concrete slab at the each opposite end of the 9ft length kitchen (with access of 3 ft space at each end but has 5ft space in the middle)
    ...See More
  • shannonfederinko
    10 years ago
    I had a similar kitchen and grounded the island with black beadboard around the bottom. I also used black granite on the counter tops and a mixed granite fornthe island with black in it to extend the island with stools. It broke up the wood floor and cabinets and was less expensive than redoing the cabinets. Also knobs on the cabinets and some type of black light fixture and a backsplash-neutral with accents. Good luck.
  • cathyjoco
    10 years ago
    I think everyone here posted great ideas. Lkrintine followed up with a good picture. The only thing I would add would be - the counter top on island - lif it were redone - it ooks like you could add about 8" - 10" or so, which would enable you to put stools there.
  • Voncia Perkins
    10 years ago
    If you put to much color it's going to make kitchen look smaller so if you what to brighten it up do a nice backsplash and stain your cabinets some type of white. And at some point darken your counter top.
  • elitexas
    10 years ago
    I had the same color in the kitchen when I bought my house, I painted the cabinets dark, see after and before
  • Sharyn
    10 years ago
    Check out the product at www.Rustoleumtransformations.com. Many on here have used it, as well as myself. They offer tons of paint color options, as well as stain options. No Sanding!! - 3 step process. It is time consuming, but very cost effective and GREAT results. Look at the posted before and after pictures for ideas.
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    If budget permits, I think it's better to change the black sink and black appliances to stainless steel and the laminate flooring to a cream or white flooring, rather than to paint over the wood cabinets. I am not a fan of DIY painted cabinets which may chip in time.
  • Susan Phan
    10 years ago
    I would paint and I would consider the dreaded oil base or enamel. I painted ours 13 years ago and have only had to touch up once. But you need to take into account your appliances unless you can buy all new ones. I love the green example and she gave you appliances and a sink similar to your color kitchen. It is a little dark and it looks like you might only have one natural light source. So keep that in mine. When we redid the kitchen I also thought about ambient light. My favorite thing i did was put under counter light it gives a nice warm glow and no harsh overhead lights unless I need them. Best splurge I did for myself
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    I think the photos mpoulsom posted would look best in your kitchen: dark gray or black base cabinets with white/light wall cabinets. Are you purchasing a new refrigerator? Get st. st. - black refrigerators stand out like a sore thumb because they are so big. You could get a st. st. panel to fit your DW http://www.frigodesign.com/custom-kitchens/appliance-frames-and-panels/one-piece-dishwasher-panels-shell-design.html . You will still have the black sink and probably the black MW, but you can switch over as time and budget permit. In the meantime, I think the mix of black and st. st. appliances will be fine. I think a mid-gray would actually look nice and very up-to-date, would blend with both black and st.st. and the laminate floor. I hope you can replace the countertops. If so, go with a dark material on the perimeter (so the sink blends in more) and a white/light on the island if you can - or, as someone else mentioned, Ikea butcherblock is a very attractive and cost-effective material. Add a simple white backsplash tile. As far the the paint itself, look at Benjamin Moore Cabinet Coat (by Insl-X, a BM company). It comes in ANY BM color, it does NOT require a primer, and it is self-leveling. It goes on smoothly and dries in 6 hours when you can re-coat. It is a fabulous product.
  • PRO
    Decorated Bathroom LLC
    10 years ago
    Dark stain. Just about to do the same thing to a kitchen (& floor) myself.
  • shayshay
    10 years ago
    If they are laminate or wood, paint with chalk paint...I like Annie Sloan. Paint the island another color!
  • Marlene Servant
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I have painted cabinets using Rustoleum cabinet transformations, and the result is pretty spectacular... we used Chocolate with glaze ...looks wonderful. (our cabinets started out the same as yours ) and please add some pulls.......... Laminate cannot be stained or painted....
  • Denise Cashin
    10 years ago
    add door pulls and knobs-be creative use different ones for each cabinet and drawer. Paint the walls. Use the tops of the cabinets as shelves and put your favorite eclectic items on top. You could add a bright back splash. Take out the island or at least the counter top and add a butcher block.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    No you cannot stain laminate. One of the problems. But floors are not your problem. It's the cabinets. Don't paint never works. Stain darker get samples and try on a Inside door. Will have to sand. Please google, or get help with this. Add brush nickel long 8 " pulls to sides on end. Vertically. On drawers can go horizontally.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Go a glass tile long backsplash. Are you keeping counters? Take a shade from counters and add a 2-3 other shades to it, try one with some teal for color. Do you have recessed lights? If so, over island hang a pendant, in brush nickel. Also. Over sink. On window a dark bamboo shade. Accessories in a teal.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Stay in taupe shades, with dark brn for backsplash. Wall color works.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Marlene above posted idea for paint. I would ask how long she has had paint on cabs. My experience is after a year starts to chip. But, I have not used that product.
  • Elizabeth Sutor
    10 years ago
    Cherrywood stain would look elegant with the black and as a contrast to the lighter floor.
  • PRO
    Sonoma Decorative Arts
    10 years ago
    There are lots of long, long threads on painting cabinets on this site, with good information on proper prep and products. My 2 cents is to not fight or fill the grain, but work with it. Do a google search for 'cerused oak' and see what you get. It's one extra step, but not rocket science, for a seasoned DYIer. A soft grey would be very current.
  • Jennifer Brown
    10 years ago
    If you are we on a tight budget work on the island. You can make that different than the rest of the kitchen and invest in a counter top that would bring it all together. New pulls make the world of difference and crown gives it an upscale look. Leave the laminate until it wears out a bit while you are saving your money than replace with the real thing.
  • njcook53
    10 years ago
    The Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations does not chip. It is similar to a stain. I redid a nasty bathroom cabinet, old, old, old builders basic oak, and it looks great after a year.
  • Frances Corwin
    10 years ago
    Rustoleum cabinet transformation would be great . Since you like the farmhouse style , the new (old formula) chalk paints would be great . Chalk paints,( Not blackboard chalk paints) are a thicker paint mixed with a medium so you do not have to pretreat or sand old finishes. You can finish with satin or gloss polyurethane for protection of the surfaces. Easiest is to take cabinets off & spray paint 2 to 3 coats of the poly on , allowing to dry in between coats .
  • Lynne Gerwing
    10 years ago
    There's nothing wrong with your floors - you can replace them when you have the do-ray-me! Yes paint the cabinets - very rewarding - and paint them the colour YOU want - if you want white - do that - because you have only shown that room it's hard to recommend a colour! Oak til you choke went out with the 80's! OR if you wish, I have developed a paint colour (through Home Depot - Behr) that LOOKS like stain after its done - e-mail me at lynne.gerwing@telus.net if you want the colour ingredients - takes Oak to dark mahogany!
  • Frances Corwin
    10 years ago
    Also , for the island , can remove the old top & have a wider top built to hold a nice piece of natural stone like marble or granite or soapstone .Place beadboard wainscot over the old surface , moulding on the edges.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    I am a big fan of the dual color cabinets. Just make sure what you use is made for cabinets... I would never try to refinish a laminate floor! :-)
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    You should just paint the walls for now and get your appliances. Live in the house for a while then think about what is most important to change. Is there a range going in under the microwave? What does the rest of room look like. The kitchen is basic but is far nicer than many I have seen here that really need help. You may want to install a dramatic or neutral backsplash and some colorful accessories to brighten the look.
  • drmitzi
    10 years ago
    I have the same cabinets and floor in the home we just purchased! I did a lot of research and I am planning to paint my cabinets. We will replace the laminate flooring at another time. I found an amazing product called Caromal Colours. Please check out www.fabulousfinishes.wordpress.com I am in no way affiliated with these products/blog or FB page, I have just watched the amazing transformation and ease of use! I am not an artist but I believe anyone can use this paint and I am going to go for it. It will definitely be better than this golden oak! Best wishes!!!
  • Sue Hershelman
    10 years ago
    I had all pine cabinets and painted them white, took off some doors on upper cabinets to create open shelving which made a very narrow galley kitchen look wider and much, much brighter. Also created 4 pendant lights out of mason jars. Paint the cabinets. it's a painstaking job but well worth it.
  • PRO
    Sonoma Decorative Arts
    10 years ago
    Lynne - I love 'oak 'til you choke'!
  • andreayoungc
    10 years ago
    I have black with flecks of gold quartz counters and a black built in dishwasher. I painted my cabinets accolade-kind of a marshmallow color it is either Benjamin Moore or Pittsburg. the colors look nice together, but sometimes I wish I had used a gray, but not enough to repaint them. Gray would be beautiful in yours. A backsplash would really help the room shine. and I agree, just put some rugs done for now. Check into concrete counters -half the cost and can look just like granite. black appliances will be fine with your updates. I'm seeing a curtain with roosters.
  • PRO
    Budget My Build
    10 years ago
    Painting can transform a kitchen, whether you paint the cabinets, walls or both. You may also want to consider installing a tile floor. I've added a couple blogs that may help with this project.
    http://budgetmybuild.co/remodeling/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets/ http://budgetmybuild.co/flooring/simple-install-tile/
  • Maureen Randall
    10 years ago
    I was watching QVC the other week, and they had a product called the PaintZoom, it was a "sprayer", this product painted (sprayed) and even coat of paint in seconds, and they used cabinets as an example. They looked amazing, almost professional. So my advice would be to either stain the cabinets in a richer color, or paint them a classic white or a linen. You can then rub a gel stain and create a glazing effect in the squares of the doors. I too am a fan of the two toned look! Well, good luck to you and keep us posted!
  • daarnold05
    10 years ago
    Here's a before and after kitchen and also how to make your cabinets seem taller. http://www.theyellowcapecod.com/2012/09/making-cabinets-taller-builder-cabinets.html
  • daarnold05
    10 years ago
    Also like how (in the link above) she painted some of the doors black. That lantern in that kitchen would be nice over the island area. They have some at home depot. Home Depot also has hanging pot racks like this: http://www.homedepot.com/s/pot+rack?NCNI-5 But, I found a really nice one on Craigslist for my Daughter-in-law and Son's new home.
  • maccar88
    10 years ago
    Dont paint your cabinets. I have a similar dilemma in my kitchen Reno right now and I think you will regret painting them especially if that shade of wood is throughout your home. We are going to put new hardware on ours and a new high end laminate counter top by Formicas-FX 180(google formica and see what their products are like|). It looks like granite but much cheaper and then update the back splash. We are then going to purchase Stainless steel appliances to compliment the new look and paint our walls. If you want you could change up the flooring and it would help to update your kitchen along with painting the island a lighter color that would compliment the current wood. Take your time so you don't end up disappointed with a rushed job. You can do it in stages as we are and make complimenting decisions as you go along
  • cyberdeedle
    10 years ago
    Don't paint those cabinets. You will regret it in a few years when they start to chip and fade. Try a different wall color that compliments the warm hues in the honey oak wood. That beige paint on your walls is fighting with the wood tones. I found a pic on line that uses a tuscany color that brings out the warm wood colors. Take a look.
  • PRO
    Chicago Custom Decorating
    10 years ago
    I love the idea of painting them green. It would go beautifully with the black appliances and blend with the laminate. Another idea is to paint the cabinets a creamy white and stain just the island dark. I would add crown to the cabinets too if you can afford it.
  • PRO
    Barbara Purdy - Purdy & Associates Design
    10 years ago
    It isn't necessary to hide the grain. It actually looks really good painted, and the grain is a subtle detail. It would be advisable to put a clear coat on top of the paint or you will have chipping, re-painting to do in 3-4 years time. I did my own which were very much like yours without the arches...
  • dwogensen
    10 years ago
    This is my kitchen, started with the same floor and oak cabinets that you have. Did dark countertops, backsplash, brushed nickel pulls and new appliances. An easy fix that i am very happy with!
  • Brandon
    10 years ago
    Paint the cabinets white and add a grey glaze. The grey would help tie in the black appliances. Later on you can replace the countertops with a white/grey/black pattern. Of course, granite would be great, but there are plenty of alternatives that are more affordable. There are companies that make countertops that look like granite and they are more durable than linoleum. I wish I could remember the name of the company I am thinking of. Hopefully, someone on here can think of the name. Anyway, you could change the laminate on the floor to a dark brown color to bring in some warmth. Look into adding a backsplash with some inexpensive tile. Maybe white? Good luck!
  • PRO
    Kt Hunter Cabinetry & Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    DO NOT paint - the oak graining will come thru you are better off using a dark stain. Is there any way of rearranging the cabinets - stove should not be by the wood pantry. Maybe swap out some of the cabinet. Send each measurement of the cabinets and I can rework the room for you. And your island should not have a backsplash on it.
  • Scott Booth
    10 years ago
    I don't know your dollar amount for this kitchen make-over so am going to say to start with a wall color... different shades will change the look of the cabinet color... black and white for me is too stark... I would see what a shade of green on the walls would do to the cabinet color... different colors will bring out different tones in the color on cabinets now.... You could stain the cabinets either a cherry stain or mahogany.... that would be nice with the black appliances... there are tin tiles in big box stores that would be a nice back splash if you like colonial/farmhouse style... if you like the country style I would paint or stain ( staying with the green wall theme) the island a darker shade of green than the walls... I would suggest going with a grey-green. I would find a granite top for the island big enough so you could put some bar stools on the side where the counter top back splash is... ( get rid of that back splash).
    I would put in new counter top when the budget allowed... The flooring would be the final phase for me.... a great runner would cover worn areas for the time being. dowegen had a great remake on their kitchen... Keeping budget in mind and easy make over ideas would keep me from refinishing cabinets... just add draw and cabinet hardware and paint the walls a different color...
  • kissoncontact
    10 years ago
    Modern, Chic, and Clean. :)
  • Connie Bundy
    10 years ago
    I'm going against the majority here, but I would see if the cabinets could be restained a darker color. Then add knobs and pulls. Pick a color with some drama for your walls, and then think about if you want to do Granite Transformations. I did my kitchen with dark cabinets, left the medium oak floors, and did my walls in my favorite gray (there was not much wall in my kitchen). I think the contrast between the light countertops, dark cabinets, and medium-light floors turned out great. Will try to post a pic.
  • Connie Bundy
    10 years ago
    One last thought...stained wood is much more forgiving than a paint finish. If it chips, you see the underlying color.
  • Jennifer Brown
    10 years ago
    Here is the secret to painted surfaces. Paint them and then put on two or three coats of poly urethane over it. Doesn't chip.
  • Lisa Riley
    10 years ago
    N-Hance has a great product. You can do a variety of options with your cabinets from toning them up to darkening them to recoloring them. I've got natural cherry cabinets and want to darken them to the espresso style.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.