kbatiancila

kbatiancila
12 years ago
we have spent most of our efforts inside and need to do something about the horrible curb appeal of our home, which we bought 3 years ago. The yard has no gardens, except along the driveway which we redid. We have removed the stone walkway-to-nowhere and the strange square garden bed that you had to step over to get to the steps. We will be reseeding the lawn and creating garden beds. What should we do about the walkway/steps etc? what direction to create a nice flow for getting out of the car, for visitors etc? what materials would match our house and neighborhood? (mix of houses from different decades, large old trees, walking neighborhood). Thanks!

Comments (15)

• joffler
    12 years ago
    First thing I'd be tempted to do would be to drop a couple columns at either side of the front door. I'd space them far enough apart so that the door would be right in the center between them but the columns, when seen from straight on, would not impede the view of the house number or any lanterns you might add (which might not be a bad idea). A wider landing may be required. The front of your house appears to be all about windows so I think the front door requires a little more attention and prominence.
  • bepsf
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    As with most other houses we see here - It's not the house that's the issue, it's the landscaping.

The asphalt driveway needs replacing with pavers, the front stoop could be expanded, the walkways needs to be redone and defined with appropriate edge plantings and rather than grass in between, you should have creeping thyme or another low groundcover. Your shrubbery needs beefing up and the random little pots need to be replaced with more substantial pieces...
    ...and the kids toys, strollers, lawn chairs, etc need to be put away - if not within the house, then a nice little garden shed.
  • kbatiancila
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Just adding we do not normally have a ton of kid stuff out - stroller usually in the car, etc. But most in our neighborhood do not have a garage and do have kids, so strollers and bikes are par for the course!
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    First lets start with some hardscaping --- Have a deck front landing 6 ft x 6 ft built over the old landing and steps - start from the front left of the house - with a step just as wide and a railing on the right side. Edge the driveway with a couple of rows of pavers or bricks - replace the old sidewalk with a curved - just as wide as the front deck - walkway. The area inbetween the driveway and the sidewalk can have some low plantings or a few big rocks and small gravel. The shutters need a color - Ben Moore "Willow R-9988 or Overcoat R-9989 " and then a color for the front door. Ben Moore " Teal Ocean 2049-30 or Rusty Nail CC -390 " Or something you love . You also need some nice wide trim around the front door and a larger light fixture on each side of the door and bigger black house numbers. Add to your landscaping along the walk and a tree or two.
  • ej610
    12 years ago
    I would create a larger patio entrance out of stone, or wood, depending on budget. Speaking of stone, you could put stone on the front of the addition to the left.
  • PRO
    Garrett Churchill Inc.
    12 years ago
    Create a larger landing, one large enough to put a few large planters to draw attention to the front door. If the driveway feels tight when opening the car door bring the walkway out to the driveway to give a wider birth and more comfortable feeling. Materials could be stone and bluestone or pavers and segmental retaining wall block, it would depend on your budget. Remove a section of the driveway that looks like it went to the garage, even if it is only 5' it will make a big difference. Remove the plantings across the front of the house and plant new. Use a variety so there is interest throughout the year. Conside curving the bed line to soften the house.
  • mousemaker
    12 years ago
    it's not horrible! and i love the snow! i think you've got some good suggestions..i would just add that perhaps a red twig bush (i'm not sure if it's a bush, sorry :)) would be great, especially in the winter.
  • rmsteinmetz
    12 years ago
    Your front porch would benefit from pillars on each corner and then a railing along the front and down the steps in white to match your trim. A brick step and walkway would fit in nicely with the style of your home. I would plant boxwoods in front of the porch, they are denser than what you have and would hide the foundation and are low maintenance. You can then plant annuals like geraniums in front of them for color and add more hanging baskets. The back door also would benefit from railings especially with the children. I would invest in an edger and run it around those stones in the walkway. It will make them look so much nicer and with little expense.
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    From your post it sounds like you have taken out the flagstone walk and the small garden area where the Hosta was? I'm not clear on what you said. For a very little investment: I like the hanging basket, keep that but add a trailing green vine to it next time. I think the outside of your house is beautiful and you do not need to add anything. You *do* need to subtract a few things, though. Remove all of the flower pots from the stoop and anywhere else in the front yard / driveway. These are nice, put out them on a back patio; in the front they are competing with attention for the door & creating a messy unkempt atmosphere & taking up space on the stoop. Thats all you have to do, add some mulch under the shrubs and you're done. Keep that front door stoop bare. It is not very large and is safer for visitors if there is noting on it and it will give a neater appearance bare except for a door mat. As for paths: I like the old flagstone that was there, it is / or was very in keeping with your home. Nice with the tufts of grass between, too. The shape & direction of paths can usually be determined by seeing where the grass does not grow b/c people are using that area as a path!
  • Linda
    12 years ago
    How about a "not quite so pricy solution"? In the photo the proportion of the door and the heaviness of the right-hand overhangs bother me. Demolish the stairs, build a wood/timber deck thay extends over to the pile of stuff. Put an access door underneath that opens onto the driveway and gives you a place to stash baby strollers when not in use. Now that we have added some balance to that corner of the house and found a home for that pile of stuff, darken up the front door. The color value reads as too close tothe roof and the copper. Either snd it and stain it a deep walnut/ebony or paint it an "almost black" color. Don't like dark? Then go light. The point is to move it out of the mid-tones....where all the colors of your home reside...and then make a focal point.
  • PRO
    Julie Powers Design
    12 years ago
    Actually the photo was meant to illustrate the roofline following the shape of the bay window. This house has now been updated with most of the issues you mentioned addressed.
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    Sorry for quick drawing but wanted to send you an idea. Planter box , trellis and some other things could help pop the front of your home.
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    A couple more pictures to help add some impact.
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    I would play up more of colonial style garden with some formal areas mixed with flower beds and that cute little picket fence. Doesn't need to be white! :)
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.