billybelldance

Paint?!?

billybelldance
10 years ago
So this is my NYC dining room / home office. I need some help I can't decide what to do with the walls. Any color suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It tends to be a darker room and I'd like to brighten it up a bit while still keeping it a warm and cozy space to eat dinner and drink whisky in with friends.

Again, any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Billy

Comments (21)

• Cheryleen Nel
    10 years ago
    Hi Billy
    I would paint the walls a lemon yellow.
    Regards
    Chez
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Warm the walls, and brighten the ceiling. Rough example:
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Those colours translate a bit more wildly than intended, but you get the idea.
  • billybelldance
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure if painting the ceiling is so much of an option as I think it would look strange since it's open to other rooms as well that might not feel right with a yellow ceiling. I do like the sandy color though! Any other suggestions?
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    Benj Moore Plantation Beige is a creamy light warm shade the would give your room some personality.
  • Nancy Searle
    10 years ago
    I would go with a pale buttery yellow
  • C Bromley
    10 years ago
    navy blue would be great
  • C Bromley
    10 years ago
    And with a more dramatic light fixture
  • C Bromley
    10 years ago
    Me again. The light fixture is very cool but try it in the kitchen, And the drapery treatment is unfinished looking., Try putting 2 panels on each window and pull the back as you have done here. navy blue is wonderful and surprisingly does not make the room look at all dreary or small. Quite the reverse.
  • pamelatyrrell
    10 years ago
    [houzz=
    A Ranch Re-dressing Hanover NH · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    West Newton Living Room · More Info
    ] I think a gold would brighten and warm; it is one of the hardest colors to pick so you would need to sample several in your space (get samples and paint a large piece of poster board and move it around the room to see how it looks in different light). Notice how well these gold/yellow tones go with woods and accent colors… Have fun
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I think your window treatments are way too heavy for the space. Replace the sheers with shades, hang single panels on the outside end of each window. Choose something lighter, a natural color linen, for example.

The shelving on your back wall is very cool: industrial and open looking. Add to it enough components to store everything in the cabinet you want to be seen and send the cabinet somewhere else to live. In its place put a credenza to store your office stuff and anything else you wish to hide. Above it put a large bright piece of canvas art.
  • pamelatyrrell
    10 years ago
    I like your industrial light but it looks too small for your table. And the room looks very dark. You could go with something larger, but still industrial that might reflect more light around the room like a cage type pendant http://www.lampsplus.com/products/industrial-style-cage-bronze-double-multi-light-pendant__y0404-w8377.html (watch the video for ideas). Get a dimmer on it in case it's too bright for hanging out drinking whiskey
  • newman1958
    10 years ago
    Your ceilings are low or either your furniture and drapes are hung hig. To give a open airy feeling declutter the tops of the furniture and consider lowering the drapes.
    I have done a Ben Moore beige on walls and Ben Moore pale blue on the ceiling. You could keep the blue on ceilings that connect. You could also reversing the two colors.
    Since the room is small and you want to keep it a guys scotch drinking room then remove the other collectible a from the room that have nothing to do with the guys coming over.
  • daniellesarah
    10 years ago
    Hey there may take everything out and start from scratch, I would paint it a nice crisp white and replace the dark cabinetry with maybe some nice white open shelves, add colour with books and accessories , and some nice bright art work, I would also maybe try some blinds that fit in the insert of the the windows and then dress them with some shares for display purposes only (lol) , good luck and I would love to see some"after " pictures!!
  • daniellesarah
    10 years ago
    Actually forget the sheers keep it clean and simple binds only!
  • R and S M
    10 years ago
    try potterybarn.com dining room gallery photos. find a look you like and recreate the look. using the items that you already have in the room. you have some fun pieces. i would suggest you minimize the amount of smaller items. so many can be distracting. the middle space inside of your open shelving unit should have a taller piece of simple wall art...one that would fill most of the space and bring your eyes up to the taller shelf level (maybe a mirror or a picture that brings in your favorite color. then balance the other side. i agree with others about the window treatments. the color seems heavy. take them down while you decorate, then see how much weight to give the opposite side of the room. good luck!
  • PRO
    Advanced Construction Enterprises
    10 years ago
    I'd paint the walls Linen white or White dove and super white on the ceiling. Put in pleated off white blinds or roman shades. Bring in color with accessories. Keep it bright - you can always change accessories when you want to change things up.
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
    Hi, Billy! I think the first thing I would do is replace your window treatments with something brighter so that you can get an idea of a color you may like to paint the walls, while still brightening up the room. Here are a few options for you. To purchase any of these items or see others, just click the orange buy product button, and it will take you to the page:

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/jute-angeline-curtain/ (masculine but still brings color in)

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/taupe-accacia-curtains-54inwx108inl/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/fresco-print-jute-curtain-48inx108in/ (my personal favorite!)

Hope this helps!
  • whitebranchstudios
    10 years ago
    First thing I saw was the small size of the light fixture. There needs to be a larger fixture with some presence. And I agree with the others about the window dressing. For an industrial style room, these don't fit in plus they don't do much for the window. I would do a pleated shade (not too $$ if you go to a home builders store) maybe in a dark brown with side panels of a midtone neutral. But not if you paint the walls navy! I agree with Mr. Navy, I have a room painted yacht club blue and it is a small room but you don't see the edges of the room when the walls are dark and the room has a great look. I would start with the wall color and go from there, fixture, window shades. Good luck!
  • designworksarch
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Your room has very expressive elements in it (shelving, light fixture) so I would concentrate on simplifying the surfaces, not to compete with color, so I would keep the color neutral, white or linen, depending on other finishes. I agree with other suggestions to get rid of the window treatment and go with something simple, plain,'whittish' and inset, so the window sills can be used for display (i.e. glass) and add some space into the room. A great advice is to add a good piece of artwork for the spot between windows. If the character of the room is established by the light future and shelving, then I would work with a different table/chairs combination to align character better; perhaps something from Restoration Hardware. I would suggest to work with a square or round table, more comfortable chairs for a more casual, 'clubby' feel. A square table may work well rotated 45 deg. A rug with a corresponding shape for a complete look.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.