christa_somerville_chase

Living room

I need a living room update and ideas for better furniture placement .

Comments (23)

• angela70
    11 years ago
    Maybe leave one wall a colour and tone down with a neutral colour for 3 walls
  • PRO
    Second Glance Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    The darker wall color shrinks the room size...I would lighten up with a warmer tone to enhance your wood flooring. Also, is that a book case that the photos are on top of? I looks as if your room may be a little tight on space with so many large pieces. I imagine the TV is your focal point in this room, so I might consider taking out the loveseat and replacing it with a recliner or just downsizing on the sofas all together. They look too big for this room, adding in all the tables as well. I would relocate the bookcase to another room and swing your seating area around so all can see the TV. Take out one of the end tables and perhaps get a floor lamp to go in between the 2 sofas or chair and sofa. I would consider a nice rug for underneath the coffee table to soften the space, and some toss pillows to coordinate.
    If you can move the TV, then I would think about putting it in the corner of the room between where the love seat is now and the book case. Swing the couch around so it's angled in the room facting the TV with a chair next to it. With the light coming in the windows where the TV is now may make it hard to see the screen on a bright day. Hope this helps!
  • Related Discussions

Need urgent help for my living room layout

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi 4evazx, I believe that you had given your designer a good and clear brief of your wants and needs and discussed all details with your designer. Your designer has done a great job as i can see from the floor plan and lighting layout. Trust your instinct and have faith in your designer. The only thing i would recommend is that you get your 12w downlight at 4000k. This is a natural daylight glow and is great in apartments. Do post pictures of your apartment when its done. Enjoy the process.
    ...See More

Help me furnish the living room

Q

Comments (3)
    Would definitely look great with some cushions in your living room, and i would recommend you to get not just normal cushion but decorative sofa cushion P/S: They are doing promotion of FREE shipping now.
    ...See More

Small space in the big living room for our housekepper

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, I think your idea works. But it doesn’t have to be full length. You can reduce it wall aligned with Master room wall so this creates a vestibule to somewhat hide the door. The new room you can still divide, at entry some kind of hanging space for new laundry and another door for the room. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

wall colour for living room

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all, Would like some suggestions regarding the wall colour on either side of the white panel. ( brown wall in the picture ) I have high ceilings and get a great amount of light. Was thinking should I go dark with deep navy, but not sure. Or should I stick to safe colours? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
    ...See More
  • Christa Somerville_Chase
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Loving the ideas!!! Would like new wall scones ideas and more artwork to reflect traditional style with a flair with to enhance my hubby's many collectables from his travels . I know grey is a very popular colour now but would prefer a colour for the room to compliment the wood, slate top table and the travel items
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    and yes we need new furniture:)
  • PRO
    Rayco Painting
    11 years ago
    You should consider an accent wall
  • 2leftsocks
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Love the warm, classic cinnabar wall color - I'd keep that. Welcoming & a nice contrast to the white trim. Start by completely emptying the room. Including wall decor. Ground the space w/ eg. a classic oriental rug w/ the same red tones of the wall. This w/ balance the room's visual weight. Re layout - oblong spaces look amazing divided into two areas. The room's left side is cave-like (but cozy) & perfect for snuggling & TV viewing. Arrange your TV & main seating areas here. Have your cable rewired & hang the TV where the glass curio is now. (No window glare.) If keeping the curio, clear the top of photos/knick-knacks & move it directly across from the TV to the sofa wall. Put the sofa against the end wall, centered, where the loveseat is now. Place the loveseat so it floats in the center of the room, facing the sofa. Put a pretty console table behind the loveseat. (A nice place for some of your curio photos & a lamp.) Center the coffee table between the sofa & loveseat. Consider replacing one side table w/ a lighter piece to break up the matchy-matchy static look of the set. Three hefty slate tables may be too much for this space. Because your furniture is so solid looking, adding some "leggier" pieces w/ allow light to pass thru the space & visually open up the room. (Shop your house for unused items. W/ give these things, & this room, new life.) Last, re the sunlit side of the room w/ the windows/french door - invest in one or two comfy reading chairs & an ottoman. Angle them in front of the windows, facing into the room. Put the small table, currently hidden behind the door, between the two chairs, against the wall. (Where the TV was.) Hang a piece of art above. Introduce wall decor back into the room sparingly. Only a few things you really love & large enough to stand on their own. (The less is more approach.) eg. hanging 1 large or 3 smaller light reflective pieces on the dark end wall, to reflect the opposite wall's windows, would brighten the room tremendously. Ballard Designs offers many architectural style, window-like decorative mirrors. Or, fill this end of the room w/ white floor-to-ceiling bookcases. Brightens & cheers spaces very nicely. You can move your seating closer to the center of the room to allow access to the shelving.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Agree with what has been submitted thus far - in fact, really like 2leftsocks comments - making it 2 seating areas - You mention you want to show off husbands collectibles - so keeping the curio and moving it to opposite wall might work with TV where curio was -
    The artwork you have lined up with the sconces and the lamps is not working - as was suggested try one large and 2 small pieces - would work better. Pull them off wall arranging them on floor to get a feel for what looks best in a grouping. Possibly adding a mirror would be helpful and to the room.
    Pillows and rug accents will add to the room if you keep the wall color.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The living room is only 12' feet deep(from french door to wall with the sofa) X 18' long(from windows to blank back wall). So the idea of floating the love seat would be tight with the present furniture ...it's in desperate need of replacing.
    I do like the idea of the TV going to where the glass front cabinet is now but again unsure what to do with the cabinet if I do that ,it's a beautiful piece I still love.
    I like the idea of the mirrors on the blank wall. I had thought of it but didn't want to overwhelm the room with mirrors as the other wall has a mirror that use to belong to my grand mother
    Any picture you can provide for examples of furniture, art, mirrors etc would be helpful and appreciated:)
  • Jeffery Rost
    11 years ago
    lots of great ideas, here are a couple more, I love your floors and white trim, so for me the color of the room is good. work with what you have first , if that doesn't work then change more. If you have "furniture movers" pads under furniture legs so you can move it yourself, then of course take picutures to show us.

I'd move the TV to the far wall where the loveseat is. Which ever fits better the sofa or love seat facing the TV. Placed in the room where if the french doors were closed it would be framed nicely on the far side (so if only one door opened) the couch would be where the door would not bother it.
    Place the curio/bookcase directly centered from the french doors on the wall where the coach is now, place a lamp on top and display the collectibles inside so they are easily seen from the entry, maybe even a flameless candle or 2 inside to show off the treasures.
    The other sofa should be moved down the wall toward the TV along with one end table and lamp. The coffee table can be place infront of either, The slate might come out and a nice piece of glass put in to add interest instead of the matchy matchy look, the one left over table and lamp can be place on the wall where the TV is now.
    Rug,mirror,sofa table,extra chair would all be great too, just add them as and when you are ready
    While you are moving the TV, have the dated sconces removed. Do you have art work else where in the house you could re-purpose to fit this room? Leather cleaner for the furniture and a couple of warm inviting throws and maybe a few pillows will add texture. A couple of cube ottomans will also add interest and extra seating if needed.
    Have fun , keep posting pictures :)
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Will assume cable connections limit moving the TV, so I would put the curio where the 2-seater sofa is now to counter balance the height of the TV and windows on the other end of the room. Put the demi-lune table in the entry with the mirror from over the sofa hung vertically 4'6" above it. Bring the hall chair to the window corner left of the TV with a chair seat cushion in black and white print. Replace the two sofas with with three or four swivel/rocker upholstered armchairs sitting on a nice area rug - maybe sisal - with a round glass topped coffee table in the center. Hang art between and under the wall uplights, making a gallery on each wall.
    Family Room Wall Unit · More Info

Morgan Creek Residence · More Info

jewell - lounge · More Info
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ movethisnotthat. We tried putting the tv at the back, blank wall but found the glare from the opposite end windows made for unenjoyable viewing
  • Jeffery Rost
    11 years ago
    I understand , I have the same problem at times,
  • 2leftsocks
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi Christa. Agree, 12' is tight for floating large furniture pieces. Consider replacing the sofa & loveseat w/ a sleek & modern "L" sectional. Add a few large, colorful throw pillows & that end of the room should brighten & open up significantly. Keep the configuration similar, filling the end wall & right corner of the room. The space, although cozy, is also very masculine looking. Adding something simpler w/ clean lines will help tone the bulk. A balanced mix of lighter feminine & heavier masculine furniture usually works well together. Also, don't be afraid to move your g'mother's lovely mirror. (Two people, being super careful, of course.) Mirrors look best reflecting something other than just an opposite wall - eg. a single piece of art, a plant or a window view. Also, don't place it too high on the wall. Hang it (& other large pieces of art) 8"-10" above your seating pieces &/or a table. This way it's anchored to something & belongs to a grouping. Otherwise it may look lost out there all by itself, & go unnoticed.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Seems a sectional is a popular choice for this room:) I was surprised by the positive response to the colour( hubby will be happy) I do agree with it needs more art work and a lighter feel to the room. I tend to be the only one who uses the room so yes a more feminine touch would be welcomed.... Maybe the glass front curio will have to find a new home???? Anyone who has more picture ideas would be most helpful. Thanks everyone so far for all the great ideas!
  • PRO
    Second Glance Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    Me again. I really think a sectional would be too big for this room. They take up a bunch of space and tend to command all the attention. If you are the only one who uses the room, then I would go with more separate seating selections, and would still consider a different, lighter paint color. I don't see the color in there blending well with that hard wood floor coloring...Looks like you lean toward neutrals. Sorry!
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    I think a sectional would be perfect-it wouldn't take up any more space than what you have now. A pendant over the corner as I previously suggested. Without a doubt, I do think you should paint your walls a less saturated color and use this russet color as an accent. Your wood tones would look better against a more muted hue----TRUST ME... Definitely need a rug... Good Luck!
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm half thinking of painting the walls a BM putty colour I had used in my previous home . A designer helped me pick it out and it went so well with white trim and the similar light maple hardwood I have now..... I can't seem to find or remember the exact name of the paint colour. Anyone have some ideas or another suggestion??
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi Christa -
    see if the putty looks comparable to the SW 7016 Mindful Gray color I suggested for you. I'm glad to hear you're considering changing the color. Your room has enough warm hues, need to simmer it down some. Can't wait to see the transformation... Good Luck!
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    On the computer the colours aren't too far off from each other:) thanks!
  • camillealbert
    11 years ago
    Sectional is too big for this room. And a lighter color on the walls would make the room look bigger.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Art arrangements ideas???
  • Jeffery Rost
    11 years ago
    do you ever finish this room ??
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.