annab6_gw

Microwave in upper cabinet, how much clearance is needed?

annab6
14 years ago

I have seen so many pictures of microwaves surrounded by wood, almost flush and without a trim kit.

It looks really nice and I thought that would be the way to go. Then someone mentioned that microwaves need "clearance" for venting and now I have the same question.

The operating manuals all say something like "don't block the sides of the microwave" or "this microwave is designed to be used either as a countertop or with a trim kit". I haven't seen any specific clearance requirements in inches for either back or sides. So I called GE customer service and asked if I can install GE Spacemaker this way. They said it would not be an approved installation and would void the warranty. Ok, does that mean it is also a fire code violation?

But it also appears to be a very common installation as well. In fact, I searched google images for "microwave in upper cabinet", and the first image that comes up shows it done and it is a photo from a cabinet company's website.

(I hope it is ok to post the link)

http://www.baycustomcabinets.smugmug.com/gallery/1320607_xA4af/1/62470078_FaBxA#62470078_FaBxA

So, is there a trick to it?

I am considering either using the wood around it or just having it inside the cabinet with the door closed when the m/w is not in use. For either one the clearance issue becomes important because the cabinet can only be 27" wide (24" interior width) so there isn't that much room.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.