toywen327

am i being ripped off by my contractor?

toywen327
9 years ago
Hi everyone, I live in Sacramento, CA area. I recently had my kitchen countertop remodeled from tiles to Cambria quartz torquay, so excuse me for my cabinetry, they are not that pretty and I'm hoping I can paint them to white one day when I can afford it. I love my torquay quartz; however, I feel the contractor overcharged me. I'm a mother of 2, so I didn't have time to do too much research about my countertop. But now I wish I did mitered edge for my center island so the countertop looks thicker than it is now, which is 3cm. I wish the contractor had told me about it, but of course it's more work for him and he probably didn't know that's what I would want. Anyways, I paid $9,900 for the countertop to be installed. I think my countertop is about 78-80 sqft, but I could be wrong 'cuz I calculated that myself. They did everything in 1 day which I really appreciate (less stressful for me and the kids). But this really worth $9,900? If they charge this much, I feel i should at least get mitered edge for the island... but now it's too late. I just want to know your opinion, am I being overcharged? If yes, I guess I learned my lesson, more research before I start my next project. Oh, I also got quotes from 3 other contractor, one is a chinese guy and he quoted the lowest. Another guy quoted about $8,500, but he is too slow on giving me the quote and kept wanting me to go into the store, but I was really busy with the kids. The third kid quoted $11K, that's why I decided to go with my contractor, he is in the middle, and he promised to finish quick. The other guys all said about 5-7 days. So that's the whole story, what do you think?

Thanks for any comments! Btw, I'm new to house remodeling and this site, so pardon me for my silly question.

Comments (17)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.