pacerwaala

Installing new floor - suggestions needed on 5 inch width

pacerwaala
9 years ago

Hello

I just joined this forum and am slowly learning a lot. Based on conversations here, I have eliminated buying chinese made stuff, lumber liquidators, buying online, Home Depot , lowes, etc. I visited couple of local shops and found that there is a whole different world out there when it comes to hardwood floor.

I live in Metro Detroit, Michigan (Obviously severe winters). I have 1200 square feet of carpet and vinyl on my first floor. This is on top of a full basement, Currently, I have a wood(I think plywood) subfloor under the carpet and vinyl floor. I want to replace the carpet and vinyl with Hardwood floor.

My requirements are as follows but can be altered based on suggestions except for the 5 inch width.

1 - 5 inch width planks (I want this for sure)
2 - square edges ( I prefer this if available but can adjust with micron or micro beveling)
3 - solid hardwood ( I prefer this but when I went to the local stores, everybody was pushing me towards engineered hardwood because the solid hardwood at 5 inch width will gap up during Michigan winters).
4 - I do not want oak as I do not like the look. I prefer wood that is plain like Maple, maybe cherry, etc.

Questions -

5 - With my locations, humidity, etc, would you guys/girls suggest that I buy engineered hardwood instead of solid hardwood if I want the 5 inch width. If I do this, am I settling - will the feel of engineered hardwood and solid hardwood be the same.

6 - Is there a 5 inch width solid or engineered hardwood that comes with square edges or should I settle for mirco or micron beveled planks.

7 - What manufacturer do you guys recommend - I want to go medium to high end as I will live here for atleast 10 to 15 years. Mirage and Lauzon are expensive, is there anything else that you recommend that is a little lesser in cost but comparable in quality.

8 - One local shop had the Mirage Nevada Maple engineered hardwood. We liked this a lot but it was $13 a square foot retail price. He said he can reduce it 10% if we get 1200 sq.feet. Is this a normal price or am I being taken for a ride. Are their any other manufacturers with lesser price.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.