esmejoy

love my 70s kitchen -- need countertop help!

Esme
7 years ago

Am replacing countertop and sink in my kitchen -- butcherblock held up well for decades, but now suffering from serious mold problem around sink. The rest of the kitchen will likely stay more or less as is -- will paint, including the door and window frames, and change art and wall hardware. I have a new sink, stainless, and am trying to decide on color for quartz countertop and ?tile backsplash. Worried about the many different things going on -- cherry cabinets, Saltillo floor, blue tile, grey grout, aging white fridge and black dishwasher/oven... and now countertop. Fabricator suggested Cambria Parys, which I agree would work colorwise, but feels like way too much action for me. I am looking at Caesarstone Urban Safari or Shitake, or maybe Clamshell, Pebble, or possibly Dreamy Marfil. And still open to other suggestions! My gut is not to go with anything too white/cream and definitely not anything too dark.

There's really no hope of replacing fridge unless I tear out the whole (beautifully crafted) surround, and I'm not really interested in replacing anything else. I grew up in this house & have lots of emotional attachment to the kitchen. Anticipate living here another 5-10 years, not really worried about resale value, just don't want to make a big design mistake and end up hating it!

Oh -- and backsplash ideas? Subway tile?? Above range as well as on sink wall??

(And, probably needs a separate post -- any brilliant ideas for cleaning up the cabinets without going for a full-on refinish? I'm worried any major cleaning effort might make them look worse not better.)

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (52)

• thinkdesignlive
    7 years ago
    And honestly I also love a lot about this kitchen. If I owned it I would look into salvaging those butcher block counters and if it wasn't possible I'd replace w new to match....why Quartz here when the butcher block has held up (in general) so well? Then I'd paint just the upper cabinets over the sink wall to match the wall color. I'd leave the ceramic counters as they look to be in excellent shape. Really the refrigerator sticks out like a sore thumb so I'd do my best to replace that w a black one. The rest of the wood cabinets I'd degrease and clean. The Saltillo tiles are wonderful. You really don't need a backsplash either. I'd rethink all the art on the far wall (placement is off). Tread lightly. Good luck!
  • sandi125
    7 years ago
    Samsung makes a frig with the pulls that are inset. I don't know if they make it in black, but it would be nice not to have handles extending into your room. They have a 33" wide which should fit in your space.
  • Related Discussions

Help with an open plan kitchen, dining and living area...

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi, Could you add a pic of the lounge area outside bedrooms? There seem to be too many palettes of colours within furniture from white tv cabinet to dark brown book shelf to light brown dining to black/blue/beige sitting pieces. Tie up sitting by adding few cushions in possibly black/white/blue combo. Extend sitting area of living through the entire span of AC wall. You need a larger rug for this space. Angle dining table between 30 to 45 degrees with long length between detached counter corner to bookshelf end towards lounge. This will add the flow to lounge. Add a table runner along the centre of the long length. You need larger artwork pics or a collection of art pieces on living room wall behind beige sofa. Lounge can have a console and wall with a composition of family picture frames to personalise space. Remove blue artwork in the last pic. Instead, you can add a composition of wall shelves with artefacts on them or wall hooks with hanging artefacts. Rugs, table lamps, floor lamps and few bold decorative pieces will add the required warmth. A round centre table in the living room can be good.
    ...See More

"Need help for 3rd Floor of my House

Q

Comments (7)
    So you just want to enclose the top area to make it a place to sleep? Does it need to have a kitchen and bathroom or just a sleeping area? I am not an architect but you might want to ask more direct questions like " How can I enclose this upper floor to make it livable?". It looks like you live in a very mild climate. Perhaps you should put up wood walls with windows that match the design on the balcony panels. I am not a builder so I hope someone else has some ideas for you.
    ...See More

Need help to determine where to place my inbuilt oven

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Fred, Thanks for the want of the precise measurements. The U shape area in my kitchen is 64" - 104 - 99" (left - centre - right). Height of the kitchen area is 107". The wall with the fridge has total length of 99" Fridge is 32" wide, 29" deep, 73" high (I bought this fridge on a good bargain but realized it was slightly oversized in this kitchen area, but got to live with it now) The wall beside the fridge is 23" deep I know some gap has to be left between this wall, the fridge and the wall mounted/countertop cabinets for ventilation I guess. So I'd say the cabinets on this wall will have a length of only 63"/64"? The microwave is 18.5 wide, 13" deep, 10.5" high The oven is 24" wide, 24" deep, 24" high. The wall next to the fridge which will have this feature cabinet 42" wide, 110" high which is next to the main door. I'm thinking the feature wall is kind of plain, but it covers up where the fridge is sticking out.
    ...See More

Help needed to design dry and wet kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    Please help by scanning your plan flat.. not distorted
    ...See More
  • Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thx so much for comments!

1) I would love to replace fridge -- sadly, when I looked into it a few months ago, there were none that fit, even approximately. All the 33" were too tall -- my space is only 65". I'm really not sure what I will do if/when this one dies -- probably will have to rip out the surround and cabinet above, and then deal with flooring below (not tiled underneath).

2) Butcherblock *has* held up mostly, but the water damage/mold around sink has been pretty severe especially under my less-than-perfect housekeeping (my mother was far superior in that department). Honestly wood + water just seems like a stupid idea to me in the first place, and that is one aspect of this kitchen that I *don't* love -- I feel a little overwhelmed by all the wood. And no backsplash behind the sink?? That sounds easy but iffy!

3) Totally get the recommendation to pull out the blue tile -- if I was looking to resell I'd probably do that :-) But as I said a lot of emotional attachment, and I love that tile, love the blue, plus it's in decent shape, and I don't think I want to go through the expense and trouble of pulling out something I love even if the aesthetic result were more pleasing -- I think I'd probably miss it daily. But something to consider.

4) In the pics the wood frames look like they match the cabinets well, but in reality they don't really -- it's a lighter, honey-colored wood (something in between the cherry and the butcherblock) and not in the best shape especially around the windows. My thought with painting would be again to diminish the wood tones, and to get *rid* of an extra surface by matching the wall color, not to create a new one! Not going to paint cabinets. They are a bit worn but truly beautiful -- more so than what comes thru in these photos.

5) Agree on the wall art!

6) No specific quartz recommendations? Anyone, anyone?? Would it help to post pics of the options I'm considering? I'm not sure exactly how to do that...

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Both counters should be replaced and I rather like the idea of a white countertop, myself. I don't think anything should compete with those floors. I like them.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

I like the blue and so not reason to replace it if it is not for sale, you like it and it is not damaged.

Pictures of choices would help.

Some people simply don't want to rip out everything just to get new.

I personally don't care for white counters but it is often done.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

I like the dreamy marfil

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

• nonna36
    7 years ago
    I have Dreamy Marfil but with white shaker cabinets and I love the look. However, with all you have going on, I think it would just add to the confusion. Looks like your blue tile has some black in it, and even though you said definitely not black, I would seriously consider it. I think it would blend in better. No sense in putting in one more thing that doesn't match. I had dark cabinets and black granite countertops in my last home and it looked great. Also, I recommend you figure out now what you want to do with that fridge instead of waiting until it breaks down and having to make a hurried decision you might regret. And....that spice shelf looks dangerous so close to the gas cooktop.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    You have too much going on. You can restain the cherry cabinets and it will bring out the finish. This will involve some work, but in the end you would have nice cabinets.

You need to unify the space by putting in the same counters throughout. I know you said you were emotionally attached to the blue tile, so If you 'love' the tile, save some of it during the demolition and put it on a pot or a table. With the orange tile floor, I would consider something like soap stone which has green undertones or if you like the blue, look at granite with a blue undertone. You can go to a fabricator to see if they have remnants that will fill your space which is generally much cheaper than buying an entire slab. Lastly, please update the hardware pulls on the cabinets. I had that 70's kitchen for the last 10 years, but my cabinets were not as nice. I did the restaining and new counters and got another 15 years out of the kitchen before I had to tear it all out.
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

I love my cream backsplash.

My pics -work in progress: · More Info

Here is a pic from farther back:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58830325

I did end up refinishing my cabinets. They were in not too bad of shape, but I did not want to spend the money on quartz if I couldn't make my cabinets look nicer first. I was giving them a good cleaning and saw the finish was deteriorating around pulls and wear on the sink base cabinet. I did mine myself, but my mother and sister had a refinisher do theirs. My mother just had a few done that had steam/water damage and the refinisher matched them perfectly to the original tone. So, you could have a few done at a time.

I did paint my 70's trim which was dark stained pine - also very nicked up.

I love my farmhouse sink - but see you have the cabinet doors that go all the way to the counter, so you could not do that unless you had the doors shortened or went with a curtain under the sink. You didn't ask about the sink - but I love mine so I thought I would mention the possibility.

• Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Many thanks for all the feedback so far!! It's useful... if a bit disheartening :-( I'm including some more photos of the fridge and it's surround. I appreciate the idea that I should think ahead toward a new fridge -- the only solution I can see is pulling out the surround and cabinets above. I can't see restructuring the cabinetry to accommodate a taller fridge. A standard 36" fridge would then fit in the space left -- but would be left naked -- and it seems like the only appliances built to be seen these days are super high-end retro models. Argh!! All that gets back to the blue tile counter -- if I *did* take that out, I think it would only make sense to deal with the fridge issue at the same time. AND probably get a new cooktop, for that will surely die at some point as well. And in the end, thousands of dollars for...?? truly an improved kitchen?? Not sure. Hard for me to get past the "if it's not broken, why fix it" mindset. Again, help! If just in how to think about the whole project even if you don't have particular solutions in mind.

• izeve
    7 years ago

If you love the blue tile and the cooktop, leave them in. I think they are funky and fun.

As to the fridge, I think you should do a bit more research. I think for a lot of fridges, the overall height includes the hinge which is going to be outside of the enclosure (look closely at your picture, the area with the hinge is higher than the fridge and would not fit in anyway). So I think you could find a fridge that fits the same way as yours does. I would go to the store and measure it before ordering.

Here is one that would be worth exploring:

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-21-cu-ft-top-freezer-refrigerator-w/p-04670219000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

It has the following specs:

• Height to Top of Case (in.):

• Height to Top of Hinge (in.):

• izeve
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

As to the countertop, I like Shitake for your kitchen. Don't go with something too light. Your cabinets need a bit of TLC - cleaning, restaining and refinishing. Otherwise they will look crummy with your new counters. Do you know what the original finish was on them? Was it oil? Or polyurethane?

BTW, I love your floor!

• Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

izeve -- thank you!! You might be right about the fridge -- I was looking for counter depth but the one you link to is I think almost exactly the same dimensions as what I have now - not ideal to have door sticking out as it does currently, but certainly workable. Pretty sure the original cabinet finish was oil -- I've had a couple of carpentry guys take a look and shake their heads about refinishing -- but maybe I just need to look harder on that front as well.

• izeve
    7 years ago

I think a black fridge would make a huge impact in the overall look of your kitchen.

As to the cabinets, it looked like oil finish from the pictures. That's probably something you can just renew yourself. Clean your cabinets well with oil soap and then apply the oil finish.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/understanding-oil-wax-finishes/

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Just a note, with the built-in you will want the fridge to extend a little, so the door will open fully.

*Edited: if the fridge is black, even though it sticks out past the edge of the cabinet, it will be far less noticeable. Especially if you purchase a model with flush handles, as described above.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

If you keep the spice shelf, consider unifying the jars to create less visual clutter:

http://m.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/art/40064702/

http://m.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/art/20152870/

• acm
    7 years ago

I'm sure that a competent carpenter could retrofit you a panel for a new fridge, either using the old one and patching some extensions or using a solid panel in some reasonably well matched wood. You have the space to bump that one set of cabinets higher to make any shape of fridge fit.

• thinkdesignlive
    7 years ago

Here is an image that I think works for your 70's home. It's mixing in elements of your existing kitchen (and new lighter tones above for your upper cabinets) with darker counters. I think if you keep the blue tile (which I adore) I think you go darker but more solid for your other counter....maybe leathered absolute black granite? for a matte, uniform but more rustic spanish modern feel.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/private-residence-rustic-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~459783

• PRO
    Picture Framing & Art Gallery, LLC
    7 years ago

Wow, that's super nice for a 70s kitchen! We had one that was very "country" looking back than and wasn't as nice as yours. I would go with either a solid surface or granite countertop...and paint the cabinetry in a complimentary lighter color...maybe a gray or creme to be a highlight between the darker floor and possible dark to mid tone countertop. As far as backsplash, I love the bang for the buck that you get with the vintage looking tin backsplash material.

• ker9
    7 years ago
    Black granite would work well. Might find one with hints of blue in it.
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

If your current counter color is good for you: light ones such as hockeymom's linen, ivory. If blue is also good, paint chairs blue if you'd like.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Embrace the blue tile with a more is more approach:

COLORFUL MEDITERRANEAN · More Info

Old to New · More Info

Note that these kitchens have white counters and light walls, for contrast. I love pic one, but I would recommend no border on it for your space.

• Dawn Y
    7 years ago
    I'd take that old fridge out and the surrounding wood plus cabinet above it. Get a counter depth one. I like idea of stainless appliances and all new countertops solid in color nothing busy. Soapstone look or white. Then I think cabinets and floor would look fine.
  • Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Again, thanks so much for all the ideas! I think it is somehow comforting to get recommendations of everything from white to black and in between on the countertops ;-) Makes me a little less worried about making a totally "wrong" choice, and a little more willing to trust my own aesthetic instincts.

SO, next scenario:

Let's say I succeed in finding a black fridge to fit the cabinet. I leave the blue tile alone. Go with something like Shitake Caesarstone (a warm brownish/grey, not too much movement). Spruce up the cabinets. NOW -- what do you recommend for backsplash? I don't think I'm ready to go for the "more is more" blue tile idea (tho I do appreciate it!) Am thinking subway tile in a slightly off-white, then all walls and trim in similar off-white paint. So if I did that -- would there be anything to be gained by putting up the same tile on the stove side as well, or would that just be weird, especially if the spice rack stays? (I know the spice rack is less than ideal, but honestly it is so useful there, and none of the drawers really work for spice jars. I think it's staying -- but I might take you up on your idea for matchy matchy Ikea jars, Lindsey!)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Personally I think white subway tile would add another element and make the space less cohesive. I know you said no blue, but have you seen glass tile?

Terrapin Villa Kitchen · More Info

Block House · More Info

Square tile too

200 Riverside Boulevard · More Info

• Susan
    7 years ago
    Even though I suggested pulling out the blue tile, I do love that color with your beautiful tile floors. If you keep it, you might think two or three times about the "more is more" idea. What's odd about the existing blue tile counter is that it's the only blue. For the other countertop, you might look at one of the warmer tones like dreamy marfil. I think it goes better with the warm tones in your room than something like shiitake.
  • Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So -- I get the oddness of the counter being the only blue. I was thinking of trying to work on that with accessories -- towels, blue pots (there's a greenhouse window over the sink I didn't show), etc. Is your idea (Susan & Lindsey) that another blue tile (glass or otherwise -- can't imagine I would find a really close match to the counter, and also not sure I would want *that* tile all over the walls) wouldn't read as "yet another surface"? My thought was that subway tile would just kind of blend into the wall and serve a functional purpose but not really read as a distinct surface. As for the Dreamy Marfil -- I keep looking at it and feeling like I *should* like it -- but the grey in the Shitake or Urban Safari feels warmer to me, and also like it picks up the grey grout on both the floor and blue counter, without clashing with the cherry cabinets. But I could be wrong :-0

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

I have three hesitations about white subway: 1. It is another shape of tile, and you have two already 2. Your window is quite close to the counter, so it might look awkward underneath there 3. It feels cold and sterile to me, and your kitchen is so warm.

I was thinking a square blue tile that compliments the tile in your stove nook. You could also do a single row of 4x4 white or off-white squares. It's not very fashionable but it would fit in the area perfectly and not command attention. Plus, trends always come back around. Or glass squares.

The blue pots idea is a great one, definitely pull that deep blue over to the other side somehow.

• Susan
    7 years ago
    Have you thought about Raven for the countertop? It's got that similar blue tone. Maybe with a simple 3" backsplash in the same material? Maybe even run a shelf on top of it the you have on the stove side? It might be worth it to look at a few different samples in your kitchen. I think the gray tones will really clash with the other warm tones in the room, but maybe it will look different in your actual space.
  • Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm... maybe time to take a little reconnaissance trip to the tile store. And the big appliance store. Oh, and then there's the question about whether it's even a good idea to paint the wood trim in the first place. My head spins!!

• Susan
    7 years ago
    Or maybe Ivory on the countertop and backsplash and all the walks and trim in the same color. Then bringing the blue accessories to that side of the room
  • Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The Raven is nice -- I just have a small glossy photo in the brochure to look at -- but I'm not sure that it's actually warmer than the Shitake/Urban Safari. I find it so hard to judge what a whole countertop would look like based on tiny photos or the tiny samples they hand out! Raven seems a little darker than I wanted to go -- but definitely not black. I don't really see the blue in it... There's also Lagos Blue that seems similar but with more of a brown less of a black (don't see the blue in THAT either, despite the name!).

• Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK -- much that I don't like about this kitchen -- but I'm looking at the cherryish cabinet with the greige counter (in this case Lagos Blue) and then also at the off-white subway backsplash. The tile does seem to me to disappear in a good way. Not sure what I think about the cabinet + counter -- does it work, or not?? Despite the vastness of the internet, I've had a really hard time finding photos that seem to address my situation in any useful way!

Craftsman Kitchen · More Info

• Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Or.... here's another idea and a look I actually DO love -- not my cabinets, obviously -- but the Caesarstone is Buttermilk, and I think very close to the existing tone of my butcherblock. Plus some blue tile.... hmm!!

Minnetonka kitchen · More Info

• Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

I like the Buttermilk! Sanford Desert is similar to your butcherblock, but I don't know about the pattern. It has more red tones, which might tie in with the cabinets and floor.

If you like the blue on the counters, the casaerstone eggshell and quartz reflections are both much lighter, but have that blue in them. You could use a similar tone backsplash to lessen the business.

Eggshell

Quartz Reflections

But I might just be losing my mind...

• Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

Also, a Europen fridge would fit in your cabinet. Here's two i found that are a little under 33" x 65".

https://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/BKRF15W

http://www.accucold.com/product/CTR15LLF2

• izeve
    7 years ago

The one advantage of a new fridge (in addition to the appearance) will be the fact that it will most definitely be more energy efficient.

If you keep the fridge enclosure, your fridge will have to be positioned to stick out a bit, otherwise you will not be able to open the door fully.

As to the counter, I like Emily's recommendations as well (Buttermilk or the light blue ones). I think you have a bunch of options, but avoid anything shiny, sparkly or with much movement. Take a door off one of the cabinets and some color pictures of your other elements to a showroom and try out some samples. Once you pick the counter, I'm sure you'll be able to find a neutral backsplash that will blend into the walls.

• izeve
    7 years ago

As to your comment about having a hard time finding helpful pictures, search Houzz Photos for "kitchen with saltillo tiles". Here are just a few I found that may give you some ideas for the countertop and backsplash:

Rustic Kitchen · More Info

Andy Berman Residence · More Info

Hurst Texas kitchen remodel · More Info

Hacienda Kitchen · More Info

Rustic Kitchen · More Info

Contemporary Tuscan · More Info

• Bette P
    7 years ago
    If you look at a quartz concrete counter similar in color to the grout in your blue tile or the grout in your floor, it should tie in nicely.
    Do your cool kitchen a favour, buy a carousel spice holder and store it in a cupboard. Spice jars by a stove do not stay clean, they get and look grimy fast. You want this kitchen to look it's best.
  • Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

I have to agree with not going the white back splash route, you will end up with a red white and blue kitchen which may not be your desired end result.

lots of good advice now that people are embracing your desires :)

• Bette P
    7 years ago
    Pic of the Caesarstone concrete grey Quartz

Moore Kitchen · More Info
  • Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, so much good advice -- I've never done anything on Houzz before but I am LOVING the crowdsourcing of ideas that happens here!! Again, thanks to all of you!! I'm already getting excited about posting about some of the *other* funky rooms in my house ;-) But meanwhile... I poked around a bit in the basement and found....

this!

Just these 6 tiles, but seems like I should really consider doing something with them -- accents in backsplash over sink counter?? Thoughts?? After mulling over discussions above, am current leaning toward countertop in either the buttermilk (retaining current butcherblock tone) or raven (which would definitely pick up the grey from the grout) -- my biggest concern with the latter would be darkening the whole kitchen too much. With either of those -- what do y'all think about a creamy tile backsplash with blue accents + cream paint??

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Great find! I don't know that there's enough to use as accent pieces, they might get lost. But they would make great coasters to bring the tile into the dining space.

• izeve
    7 years ago

I think if you look at the stove side of your kitchen, that gives you a good idea of what a dark countertop looks like in your kitchen. If you go with Raven, the other side will look like that too. It will make the kitchen darker but also more unified looking.

If you go with creamy tile backsplash with blue accents and cream paint and cream countertops, you will have a light side and a dark side in your kitchen. Nothing wrong with that, but keep in mind that there won't be much tying the two sides together.

Both of these kitchens have cream and blue tile with light colored countertops.

Andy Berman Residence · More Info

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

yes on all!! I would like to suggest taking out spice rack and continuing your cream tile behind stove and using those tiles with it above your cooktop???

I think the lighter counter and lighter backsplash will look good with your cabinets.

• Kathy Yata
    7 years ago

If the body of the new tiles is dark I wonder if they can be cut and used as accents. Big blotches of blue might not very subtle in the back splash but it sure would be nice to use them.

Hope you find a refrigerator that works. Mine is in a repurposed wall oven cabinet with 24" deep cabinet above and we have definitely maxed out on size. To shoehorn it in had to take the bottom moulding off the wall and the light switch was in peril. The door opens 90* even though the door is about 1/2" from the wall. It's super fun taking the bottom shelf and vegetable bins out but otherwise fine. I love it, kitchen looks so much more finished with a fitted refrigerator.

• Esme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm -- tiles are glazed (I think that's the right way to describe them -- tile body itself is light grey, then has blue glaze on top). Hadn't thought of cutting them -- but sounds like that maybe wouldn't work anyway?

In terms of fridge -- what a headache that is. So few choices -- but there are a few. I found exactly one that is 32.5" wide and *maybe* could be squeezed in at 65.5" tall (but might need to cut down the upper lip of the surround). And then a few more choices that are 29.75" or 30" wide and 65 3/8" tall -- which I think will juuuuust fit. My question about that is: surround opening is 33" -- will a 30" wide fridge look strange in that opening? Or would you not even notice? I do think that modifying the surround to accommodate a 70" tall fridge would be big job -- and really, I'm hoping to make this kitchen last 5-10 years, not necessarily longer.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.