andrea_coffman

Saving original tile or installing new?

Andrea Coffman
7 years ago

We are renovating our guest bathroom in our 1927 bungalow house, and can't agree on what to do about tile!

The bathroom has one inch white hexagon tile flooring with dark gray/black grout, which we uncovered when we ripped up the carpet that the previous owners had installed (ugh!). We think the tile is original to the house. The tile was in pretty rough shape- rust stains, cracks and breaks from the carpet nails with a corner area missing, adhesive residue, and a hazy buildup over the grout.

My husband and I are at odds- he desperately wants to restore, patch, and save the tile floor, while I think it would be better in the long run and for resale to replace the tile (as much as I like the original tile!). What do you think?? Try to save the old, knowing it won't be perfect, or install new marble hex tile? Do you think the charm of having original tile outweighs the value of having perfect new tile?

(So far, we have reglazed the original tub and installed large marble tiles in the shower, with insets backed with 1 inch marble hex tile. We will have a navy marble top vanity, and Delta champagne bronze fixtures throughout.)

Comments (11)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.