kkristie

Wool rug

K G
6 years ago
I’m in the process of decorating our home - and I am wondering if a wool rug is worth the cost? I suppose it is in the budget if I want it to be, I am looking fo 8 x 11 and the ones my designer keeps suggesting are in the 2500-3000 price range. I’m not sure if this is worth what I consider a splurge.

I have request less expensive options but so far have not liked any of the ones suggested.

I’m keeping my eyes open at homesense and other stores but even then I’d probably spend 1,000-1,500 and in that case.

This is for our living room.

A sample photo of the one I am considering is attached including the back for reference

Couch photo including and fabric sample will be the curtains.

In comments will post pillow fabrics I’ve decided on.

Comments (66)

• K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Melissa - yes.

Smallish town Ontario, so have access to pier 1, the brick, Ashley, structube, lazy boy, carpet/flooring stores. Plus homesense.

Have been looking at local design store but all price is in the above range ~3000.

Do have access to Surya and Albert and dash - but only some samples would have decide based online.

Also ordered a pottery barn rug 6 weeks ago and still hasn’t arrived for our principal bedroom. Thinking I might cancel it.

Mainly looking on wayfair now but can’t tell quality or know what to look for.
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Room (chair in 2nd photo is not staying)

2 Chair that has been order is in 3rd picture in a slightly darker grey, with slight purple/blue undertones
  • Related Discussions

LOST - color and look match

Q

Comments (3)
    I would reupholster the rosewood furniture in natural canvas or a natural linen look . Ask the upholsterer to do the job with NO welting. That will make it look more contemporary. Then stop by West Elm, Pottery Barn, or Crate & Barrel for some brightly colored pillows. I'm thinking coral might work well with your tile, but you be the judge of what color works best with it. For now we'll assume it's coral. So I'd like to see one wall painted coral if you're so inclined. Otherwise, I'd leave the walls white. Next, let's cover some of that tile you don't like. Two choice: 1. A rug you'll take with you. Perhaps a shaggy offwhite one. 2. A rug you'll leave in your rental. This could be a large piece of carpeting, cut and bound like a rug. Measure for size before going to the carpet store. Most carpeting is 12' wide, so figure on making a rug 12 x something so that there is no waste, or you could make a couple of 6 x somethings. If you could change out the rosewood coffee table for another, I think you'd be happier with the furniture. It needs some variety. Even a couple of small tables from IKEA could work for 6 to 8 months.
    ...See More

Anyone ever tried painting upholstery? Color suggestions for bedding

Q

Comments (11)
    I opened my earlier post to edit the paint name in case you ever want to paint non-tufted, no-nap fabric. Unfortunately, my cat Linguine loves the binging and bonging sounds of the computer when he stands on the keyboard. Not helpful. It disappeared so... here is the name: Simply Spray Fabric Paint for Upholstery. (They have your charcoal gray) It did not make the fabric crunchy, stiff or weird. Nobody wants crunchy, stiff, or weird :-) Again, I would not paint the fabric on your gorgeous bed but I would change the wood color. The black edge and empty white room are the reasons it looks heavy. If you paint the black, I would suggest using an artist brush on the edge that meets the fabric even with fabric covered. House or painter's brushes are too wide for good control in that tight space. They are not as flexible as artists brushes nor as small. The Paris bed I mentioned was gray velvet and soft matte metallic gold wood. Soft, romantic, dreamy and transporting to a world of Princesses and Kings. If you keep the purple, I vote for gold or silver wood but NOT high gloss.
    ...See More

Clueless on rug color! Help me find my perfect rug!

Q

Comments (27)
    You already have your accent colour as your sofa pillows (log roll pillows). I would take one of them shopping with me to get a rug that has that colour in it. It doesn't need to be a lot of that colour (I love the idea of burgandy rug here...but it might be too much with your monotone scheme). You can find a large rug that incorporates that red/raspberry in it so that you have a colour that is now your accent.
    ...See More

Rug for striped sofa?

Q

Comments (18)
    So is it a chair and a sofa? If nothing else they are a conversation piece! No one could ever enter your room w/o saying something. I love your idea. But if you are serious, remove the like striped pillow covers, and replace them with plain any colored pillow covers or continue the fun & add a zig zag black & white area rug & one or two more striped items, such as lamps & a painted zebra coffee table. I love it.
    ...See More
  • lhutch13
    6 years ago
    If you have littles, don't pay more than a few hundred bucks for a rug. Little kids will puke on it, sippy cups leak, when their potty training, drop Popsicles on it. I would lose my mind if I had to watch over a $1000 rug and my kid constantly.
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    If anyone wants to way in - here are the coffee table options.

Either an ottoman style

Room is edge comb grey by bm. Light fixtures throughout home are aged iron style.

My style is transitional - not too modern.
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lhutch - I honestly wonder already what I was thinking with the light couch. I don’t even let me son enter this room, but obviously that’s no practical.

I’d love to find something in the 1000 price point.

I am looking at ikea too which are going to be less than 500
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

lol Kate - We weren't allowed in the living room either because my mom bought a white couch. The room was rarely used at all. The couch eventually got stained by our babysitter's boyfriend's hair creme during one of their make out sessions.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Want good advice ?! Save the floral and vine for an accent chair and pillows ! You WILL tire of it and custom curtains are $$$$.

Go to a carpet store that carries Stainmaster pet proof. Have a simple and neutral rug ( generous) area rug created from broadloom ! It can even take bleach!!

Add texture in thriows. Add pretty lamps ( even blue!! ) ! Add a cofee table.

Save some money for art and wall interest!

Presto and room to embellish forever and to withstand occasional tweaking for seasonal change or on a whim.

Pattern goes where you can remove it easily, unless you're sixty and have had many many many decor evolutions:) !!

If you were my client Id drag you out of that furniture store in a single heartbeat.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Kate, keep in mind that your furniture store "decorator" is first and foremost a salesperson. Take anything s/he recommends with a whole shaker full of grains of salt.

• K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Groveraxle - yes that seems to be the issue. I couldn’t find a designer that wasn’t associated with a store in the small town that has a portfolio that I liked the style. You are right though - it is more of a sales role than advice giving.

Jan - I will take your advice. I’ll head to the carpet store that did our basement tomorrow. That seems like a good idea. Do you think it is worth switching to another designer non related to a store or just doing it on my own?
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The coffee table and ottoman photos are from another store - not the designer boutique.
  • drdeb1234
    6 years ago

You don't need to do it on your own!!

You'll get great advice here from Groveraxle and Jan and others

• K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @ drdeb1234 aw thanks! I thought I’d love the decorating phase but it’s too overwhelming with a new entirely empty house.

I think I just need to focus on one piece at time, but that doesn’t work well for decorating since things should really go together.
  • drdeb1234
    6 years ago

Focus on one room at a time. Post pics of the room from all angles, and if you can a drawing with the dimensions etc.

Im sure you'll get some great guidance from some of these very talented people (who, unlike your store designer have no incentive to get you to spend excessive bundles of cash!)

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

Wool is unbelievably durable

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

First,, draw your room, and put all the dimensoins of every wall, every doorway, entrance and window.Every last inch, and total length and width.

Second, take a very clear picture of that ugly picture, and upload it here on Houzz.

Third , RELAX: The "empty room police" will not come!! . You have a bed? A roof? A way to feed yourself and the child, and get clean? The child is warm, fed and dry and HEALTHY? Nobody will DIE. I mean that. Chill out. It's furnishings. That is ALL it is.

Do NOT fall victim to judgement; be that your own or that of "friends" . You have another 85 years on this planet barring disaster , and life is a journey, not a race. Decor will change and morph with life. this is the first of many - you aren't going to die with a single stick of it. That...........you can absolutely count on: )

• P Banos
    6 years ago

If you want a plain rug, getting a wool remnant cut and bound is a good way to go. You can measure the room and go 12-18" from the wall. Down the road you can have it made smaller for a smaller room.

We have an undyed wool with a bit of a hi-low pattern. I love the color, it's got natural variations and is overall a neutral taupe color.

• Casandra383 Dean
    6 years ago
    If you have little kids; $300 should be about the top range for a rug. They just get too disgusting despite scrubbing after a couple years.
    Right now with 5 kids, rugs are considered disposable. I stick with wipeable leather furniture in neutral colors and change out the rug and pillows every few years.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Or you can make the "food stays in the kitchen " rule. A good idea anyway. Either way, plenty of great broadlooms will withstand you can't imagine what. My parents had oriental hand woven rugs through three kids, and 50 years of marriage. You don't need to throw your hands up and give kid the run and ruination of the entire house. Your decor will be bereft /ugly until they MARRY.......or start paying for their own possessions. Just sayin.........

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    OP, I just went through this for my master bedroom as I have wool Persian rugs downstairs. I looked at what others have posted and IMO carpet such as Stainmaster look like garbage compared to wool because they are garbage. There is nothing more durable, more elegant or more resilient to stain and wear than a wool carpet. You have exquisite taste and do not cheapen it by listening to anyone who tells you to buy Stainmaster which is sold at Lowe's. One caveat, I looked at a absolutely gorgeous carpet that I wanted so badly but it is made with a new fiber mixed with wool that can never get wet with water. I have dogs and nixed that so be sure you know what the ingredient fibers are on the carpet. Yes I have wool carpet in my master mixed with a touch of rayon and it has survived a spill of red wine with no stain at all. Please enjoy your home and your wool carpet!
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Jan - I complete agree. I don’t want to live in a house where the kids run completely wild. This room is not off the kitchen - we do have a living space off the kitchen area, that I’ll go a little more children friendly. Has an ikea, slipe cover couch which we all love and likely a new ikea rug soo

I want this room for our family Christmas morning, chats with my husband in the evening, tea or wine with girlfriends and end of the day space for me that holds no toys.

I don’t want it to be so stuffy that no one is comfortable, including me and we all live in fear of spilling but I also don’t want my son running around with chocolate chip cookies eating on this couch. I hope to get that happy medium!

Also thank you for the perspective. What a privilege problem to have. I need to take a moment and thank my luck stars that right now this is my worry and actually enjoy the process. I still pinch myself that this Home is mine and have put too much pressure to get it ‘right’
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    PS I grew up in a house that had wall to all wool carpet and what lasts longer a nylon coat or a wool coat. And if you have children you want them on wool not fibers made from chemicals.
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ugly photo attached

So far purchased two chairs and the couch.

The rest drawn is just the idea of layout I had in mind.

Anyone have a good program online I could turn this into something more readable?

Everything in inches

Lighting is 6 potlights - no center light.
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Two of these chairs have been ordered

I believe it is a Canadian and Canadian made company so maybe not known in the states
  • sondramartina
    6 years ago

I agree with Bellburgmaggie. I would not put a broadloom .

Nowadays people are ripping off and trowing away broadlooms from their bedrooms and living rooms and replacing them with hardwood floors and rugs , why would you put it? Nothing can beat a good, quality wool rug! However a solid coloured rug will not be as practical as a patterned one.

• K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    bellburgmaggie believe it or not my parents had a beautiful wool carpet in their kitchen for years. It had previously been my grandparents - it was under the kitchen table. A deep burgungry with blues red golds. Beautiful and held up to the rest of time. Only now is it really really showing its age. The colour and pattern of course helped but it really was a beautiful rug. The wool lasted.

The other issue I have is not all ‘wool’ rugs seem to be treated equal. I’m not really well versed to know what is good vs. What is poorly made.

The one I have posted may not be the timeless one I should splurg on.

Thank you! I really appreciate the nice comments about my taste too ❤️
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Meant to say ‘test’ of time in above
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

She has time for a 4000.00 to 8000.00 rug folks. ............she has time. Stainmaster has some fantastic stuff. I didn't say go to Home Depot? Did I?

And hate to say this, but much of what passes for wool in area rugs is imported crapola, too. Tufted junk!! Ala Pottery Barn/Wayfair. And the 3k number the store designer is suggesting! Or it can be highly pricey Rosecore! , built to self destruct with a single drop of water, as it contains...... viscose.

A GOOD nylon , even patterned, is going to last years, and survive cleaning, better than a rug labeled " wool" and low end of the spectrum wool fiber. Or even a luxury high end blend meant for style/looks over substance.

A nice wool broadloom can do the same. ...... Just stay away from Wilton wool : ) And the best bet of all is a wool and nylon blend

• sondramartina
    6 years ago

Kate, I agree. Most likely, the cheap wool rug will shed. They also have that canvas backing .

If you don't want to invest in expensive wool rug find something that you like in Home Sense or check rug stores in your area and save money.

• K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Jan, I will keep those in mind. The problem with today’s options are they are not made us the timeless ones that are in my grandmothers home. I just end up paying for either a brand or a designer name but that still isn’t going to last me.

There is a reputable flooring store close by I will check out as they did our new hardwood and were quiet helpful. I like the idea of getting a rug bound, then I can choose a colour that goes perfectly but is neutral, something with a bit of texture.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

@ Kate Gold:

!/4 inch equals one foot: on a quickie from your sketch and dimensions.

With "furnishings."

Certainly not the ONLY way, but you have quite a bit of "dead" wall, to be cozied up.

Hence the long open/airy console on the end wall. Nice place for a mirror!! A room with no warm lighting, is dreary, there are four lamps on here. Two alongside sofa on side tables, one on writing desk and one on the long console.

If you don't have SOMETHING that looks like this from the furniture store? I think that tells you more than you want to know.....

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Oops , just realized you have two chairs on order...... : )

The end wall of that room, long term , is a great place for a wall of built ins, assuming you read. Otherwise.... they tend to become a bunch of clutter.

The point to this exercise, is to get you feeling"furnished" and cozy, without a ton of furnishings. So you are basically one console, one rug, one airy table, and one cocktail table , and four lamps......from the base of the room. Then you add four lamps, some art, a mirror......

Just one more reason to stay away from expense not necessary. Like custom pillow. Like Patterned drapery, that could WELL be nice linen simple panels, even ready to go. Or just beautiful woven wood roman shades and no panels! Add an accent ottoman to one chair and tuck it under the open console! ( meant to do that ) There ya go. You're "almost" done lol

• K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you Jan!

These look great and are very helpful. I’m going to start making a list of the things I need for the room. Then I will find a few options for each and see how everything starts to go together.

This layout looks lovely, its a long awkward room so this seems to set it up well.

I appreciate the help especially in where to focus my money.

For the ottoman is it best to get one to match the chair in the same fabric or something a little different?
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I love to read so a built in someday would be great! I hope to use this as my drink tea with a book in peace room!
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Woolridge is one manufacture of wool carpet - I believe another is Atrium. The one I loved but was too scared to install was Rosecore. It was very luxurious but was made from recycled paper or wood - and couldn't get wet. PS I could not put in wood floors without great expense. My house was constructed with steel beams down the center and over the last 50 years it has settled meaning I now have a pretty significant ridge in the center of the room requiring that the floors on the second story be floated. That would have created a rise from the bathroom floors etc. Couldn't be done - so no not everyone has wood floors in bedrooms. Staunton and Stark also make wool rugs. I got mine through my interior designer and because I used him for the whole house, he provided a discount to me.
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Out shopping and came across this rug at homesense- size works but not sure what I think.

Anyone like it?
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Another options - is pretty busy, but I like the pattern.
  • PRO
    KHB Interiors
    6 years ago
    Hi

That rug is worth every penny. It will last as long as you want it to. It’s a fabulous brand - can’t go wrong. But better than the cheap machine made poly rugs.

Best of luck !

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz!

https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago

This isn't a wool rug at $500. It's propolene and will not wear right.

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Love it!
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I prefer the first one.

I'm not fond of polypropylene rugs either but they have a place; kids rooms, dorm rooms, not wanting to break the bank, may get tired of it in a year or two- no big deal, you didn't spend $5000 on it so no worries .

Unless it looks super cheap, then why not?

Remember when you wouldn't be caught dead wearing polyester? Well, now practically everything is a synthetic blend.
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    A wool rug is a very sensible investment because of durability.rugs lat 50 years and more.
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, these aren’t wool. The first one I posted originally was, but it was suggested I look around for something chalet so here are to I came across. I believe the similar store in the US is home goods - homesense in Canada.
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Melissa, I like the first one too. It doesn’t look or feel cheap. It’s pretty soft and I figure could be a place to save money if I like. I feel like we have similar taste since you’ve given advice on my other room - kitchen backsplash specifically. The one person against my original tile, which I ended up not using, it sits in my garage now waiting for someone to buy it or a project I can use it.

I’m not sure if it is a little too glam and shinny for me- but I’m going to try and picture it tonight. Plus if purchased this week it’s returnable within 60 days
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    kHB thanks so much - yes the original is wool and thank you for commenting on the brand. I had never heard of it and no one else seems to have. I understand it’s mainly through designers so that’s maybe why. Glad to know if I decide to go with the wool and pricer option I getting quality
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Kate, I always give my honest gut opinion. Your home looks lovely. I think you should try breaking out of your safe zone and try something different. It's usually returnable! You can try selling the tile on Craigslist or donating it to a Habitat restore type charity...Homesense sounds like our (US) Homegoods.

Buy and try it. Rugs are hard to conceptualize until you get it in the room. There's many rugs I love on the internet or in a store and have them tried in my room and they just fell flat.
  • Linda x
    6 years ago
    Like the 2nd choice best.
  • Olga Kramar
    6 years ago
    The best choices for heavy use are dark and patterned. Think about hotels. Do you see beige, lightly patterned rugs on the floors? I once did a carpet in the family room similar to your first selected rug, when the kids were young. Regret. The piece that stayed with us forever because it continued to look good was a dark tapestry pattern sofa. I know tapestry was a phase and is totally out now, but you get the idea. Random patterns will be your best friend when you get a random stain. Dark will take a beating of foot traffic without creating dingy paths.
  • K G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I haven’t really seen many dark patterned rugs, but it definitely makes sense. I love the lighter and calm look - I always find dark so glam but heavy. I do probably need to go in that direction in one of the other rooms though. I have a family room and am also looking for a rug so in that case I have decide I need to go much darker and patterned as it is off the kitchen so snacks can happen their and lots of foot traffic!
  • PRO
    The Persian Carpet
    6 years ago

Be aware wool rugs with a canvas backing as shown in your picture are hand tufted with latex ( glued on ---- not knotted ) and can not be washed like a hand knotted wool rug can. Once it's soiled it's a throwaway rug. Budget about $2000.00 + for a quality hand knotted rug using good dyes and good wool in 8 x 10 size

• PRO
    Vadap
    3 years ago

Melissa - yes.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.