leightx

Help with door at the top of our stairs

leightx
5 years ago

Our house is 111 years old, and the people who lived here before us finished the attic and added this staircase decades ago. It is hideous, to put it mildly. We plan to take out the carpet and put down wood steps - a subject for another post. But my first question is how to fix the door at the top of the stairs - the trim is hanging off the edge because the door is flush with the rise of the last step (which is really the entry to the door). There is no room at all for a landing, which would be ideal. There is a tiny bit of room to push the door back a few inches - would that make things look more normal up there? I can't even find pictures of what this situation should look like!

I know why it looks like this - he needed to create a staircase in a limited amount of room. But I'm hoping it can look at least slightly less awful. Maybe??

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.