flermoen

Cottage renovation opinions needed!

flermoen
10 years ago
We just spent our first week in our new to us 1960s beach house. The place has character, just not our character as of yet. :) The main floor is open concept with cathedral ceilings and a massive fireplace in the middle. We met with a few contractors to begin getting estimates on some structural fixes needed as well as bids to remove the paneling from all the walls on the main floor. We will upgrade the electric and insulate as well. The post & beams on the ceiling and beach wall will remain. I'm stuck on a couple areas and would love to get Houzzers thoughts.

1. What can be done for the "bedroom" on the main floor. It currently has panel walls and no ceiling. Any thoughts on how it would look with a ceiling? Could the walls go up to the top of the cathedral ceiling or would everything become unbalanced? After spending the week in the dampish lower level bedrooms, I would love to have the master bedroom on the main floor but need privacy to do that.
2. The paneled closet shown in the pictures will be re-built with walls and placed in the corner, eliminating the 9 inch gap. Is there anything I should think about when building a closet? Standard sizes? We plan to store vacuum, beach towels, outside cushions, etc in this closet
3. The horizontal black beam at the top of the walls is not really a beam. It is a painted black thin wood. The contractors said it would be difficult to have drywall go up over this and around the beams. Thoughts?

I've always lived in standard subdivision homes. I love having this more unique home, but I have to admit it is challenging! Thank you for your thoughts!

Comments (20)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.