lesley_delle_grazie

New Custom Home Needs Windows

Lesley Delle_Grazie
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I've been asked by my SIL to help her choose materials and finishes for her new custom home, so she asks my opinion about a lot of things with which I don't have a lot of experience. I'm hoping someone here can give us some advice. She's been told by a window supplier that her windows should have real mullions on the exterior, not the ones that are usually fixed between the two panes of glass. I asked her if the salesman was going to come and clean her windows for her. But seriously; is this really the expectation for window mullions for a custom home?

Beach Style Living Room · More Info

Comments (37)

• dclostboy
    10 years ago
    With that view I much rather have large open panes. But, yes, my French doors are like that.
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The house will be built in a typical suburban neighbourhood, so the views won't be so stunning. In fact, all of her neighbours' homes were built in the 70's & 80's, so not much to look at.
  • Related Discussions

Living room ideas

Q

Comments (6)
    HI -- Great windows !! Full white drapes right across the whole window wall , full length ceiling to floor and wall to wall . Long low 3 or 4 seat sofa or square sectional in white (leather or fabric ?) and a swivel chair or two in black (leather or fabric ?) Have the sofa and chair-s in either material just not both the same . A long reclaimed /distressed wood dining room table -- you need the wood for a bit of warmth in the room. Modern white and chrome chairs and maybe two funky statement chairs for each end of the table.Too cold and flat looking to have total black and white. An area rug for living room area -no rug under dining room table. The area rug could be one with a salt and pepper texture or a chevron pattern or similar . Then silver accents as in side table bases with glass tops and lamps . Then some big colorful modern art.
    ...See More

Singaporean Houzzer? Say Hi!

Q

Comments (91)
    Hi Everyone! We are a creative, caring, energetic team of individuals who take pride in striving to be the best we can be for ourselves, our suppliers and our customers. We are excited by giving our customers the tools to create homes that are not only good to look at, but are fun, comfortable and functional to live in too. We aim to spark the imagination, so that our collections will give their owners a sense of putting their own unique stamp on their environment. Twenty years of travelling the world, searching for the unique has given us the inspiration and resources to create our own ‘Originals’ blend of furniture for the home. Shop at our online store : www.originals.com.sg or drop by our showroom at 896 Dunearn Road, Sime Darby Centre #02-03, Singapore 589472 Tel: +65 6471 9918 | Email: Shop@originals.com.sg Cheers, Originals
    ...See More

My first house! Need your insightful advice!

Q

Comments (19)
    I very much agree with what Beverly said regarding adding shutters to your home. You don't have the space on either side of the windows to accommodate appropriately sized shutters. Awnings would definitely be an option. Since you're in the Caribbean, you can add color by using a brightly striped awning. One shutter option that you could consider would be a Bahama Shutter. Since they mount at the top of the windows, you wouldn't have any problem adding them if you like.
    ...See More

Tiny Apartment

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Amuro Elaine, Are you working with an interior designer to renovate your home? You'll probably be asked a few questions such as: How many people will live here? Is the bedroom wall a structural, load-bearing wall? Do you intend to entertain? But what an interesting space you have, and especially if you are living alone, there's so much potential to transforming it into your own pretty pad! If I were you, I would swap the living space with the bedroom, that means hacking the bedroom wall open, and then erecting a wall from that point where your kitchen wall ends. Have the wall in glass, with sliding glass doors, so that you can open it up when you have guests over. And when you're alone, you'll be able to enjoy the entire length of the apartment from your bed. Here's a photo of the wall idea:Keep us posted on the progress of your renovation, please :)
    ...See More
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    Are they true divided lights. Panes are individual ?
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked grobby
  • User
    10 years ago
    I have true divided light wood windows, but I was interested in a historical look. They are more expensive and difficult to clean, it doesn't seem necessary in her case.
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked User
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    I believe you mean "mullions." Alot depends on the style of home, where the house is located, sited and maintained. I would be inclined, just for ease of maintenance and cleaning alone to avoid TDL windows (true divided lites) in all windows and doors. I would suggest being consistent troughout. Happy Houzzing.
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked DMH DESIGN
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lol, yes DMH, I guess mullions is what I mean. Our contractor for our addition called them "muntings" (didn't quite sound right to me either). Grobby, they wouldn't be true divided lights; they're still completely flat on the inside. Thanks @bluenan and DMH, we both thought the same thing, and being a new-build in a non-historic neighbourhood, it makes sense to forgo the added expense and difficulty with maintenance. I appreciate your input, and will pass it along to my frazzled SIL. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice very soon!
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I edited to use the right terminology, thanks DMH!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Today the trend is either no muntins (grills) or, for those who want them, often only in the front windows so that a view out the back can be appreciated, even if it is only your yard.

I hybrid version would be to keep the muntins in the transom, but no divided light in the bottom panes.

An exception would be a historic home.

So, it really depends on the homeowner, weighing all the positives and negatives: looks, ease of cleaning, cost, view, flexibility to remove in the future if you want to, less/more light coming in the windows (yes there is a difference).
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • User
    10 years ago
    Correct you are, CDR!
  • Christine W
    10 years ago
    No Mullions/Mutins. I opt for large panes of glass to capture that view and then invest in some electric privacy roll shades that disappear when they are open. Also invest in a sun-bloc window tint to save the floors and furniture from the sun.
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked Christine W
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks CDR; I never thought of using grills in the front and not in the back of the house. I'm already anxious to change out my front windows that don't match my new windows in the addition we just did in the back of our own home. It's ok that they don't all match even if both the front and back windows can be seen at the same time?
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ahahaha! I'm calling them "grills" from now on! I learn so much on Houzz! Thank-you! Btw, spellcheck doesn't like the word "muntins"
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    I too, stand corrected. I was thinking of muntins in the classical sense, as those dividing panes in a transom window above a fixed pane or opening sash, such as in a craftsman home. Sash bar or grilles, as CDR and Bluenan demonstrate are best.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    It does get confusing.....and words evolve. One time, on Houzz, a person chided another for using "expresso" as opposed to "espresso". Since English is one of my majors, I am interested in how words evolve.

Knowing how often "expresso" is used now, I looked it up. Sure enough, in many dictionaries, "expresso" is now listed as an alternate spelling of "espresso".

I like "grills" also. Spellcheck doesn't correct me!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    On a personal note, I live in a lodge-style house, but my style is more "contemporary lodge style". Last year, I grew tired of removing the muntins for cleaning and the obstruction of the view. I removed them all. I love it without them.
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, we do tend to anglicize everything in North America, so I wasn't surprised to see "expresso" advertised on an Italian menu. That's akin to swearing in our house as hubby is Italian. Just like I hate it when someone calls me "Scotch" instead of Scots or Scottish, but we can't get tied up in trivialities. I just like knowing what the proper names are for things for myself; I'm always learning.

Thanks for your help with this; my sister-in-law is getting snowed under with decisions right now, and I like to help where I can. It really helps to get the opinions/experience of others. Having just done an addition on our own house, I have some experience, as it's basically the same as building a mini-house. But, there are some things that I didn't have to choose because the builder had to match what was existing.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I guess one more thing I would like to add about grills that may be obvious, but some people overlook: they add a decided pattern in the room. Yes, they do sort of fade into the background, as far as a pattern goes. Yet, they are still there.

Well, I guess this Scotch lady has now become a muntin expert. Let's have an expresso in your honor. LOL. (Sorry, couldn't resist typing that!)
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    I have Pella architectural series windows and french doors, and the grilles snap out for ease of cleaning. From my experience in researching windows when I built a home, I found the windows will grilles inside the pane which don't give the depth that I like. True divided lights are used many times in historical homes and very expensive ones. The TDL looks great but cost considerably more. One thing to remember with the snap out grille is you can get a very contemporary and unobstructed view.
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked grobby
  • love2browse
    10 years ago
    I had my kitchen window replaced when I remodeled. The contractor used Pella windows with the snap in mullions and they also have a removable pane to clean in between the glass. I'm terrified every time I pop the mullions out to clean, I'm going to break it. I did actually break one of the window panes when trying to pry it off. So, to me they're a pain and it's possible the contractor put in the cheapest Pellas at the time. I've replaced all the other windows in my house and used Marvin Fiberglass windows with the Mullions between the glass and I love them. On another note, it depends on the style of your house whether you need to use mullions or not. I have a colonial style home and have mullions on the front and back of the house. I think colonials without them tend to not look right and it's an HOA requirement in my neighborhood.
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked love2browse
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Too funny CDR! I like your sense of humour!

Thanks grobby; I will tell my SIL to look at that option too. I don't think she looked at Pella windows; I think they might have been Pollard, but I'm not sure (and that might be a Canadian brand). I get that you lose the dimensional quality with the inside grilles, we just don't see the outside-mount ones a lot around here, other than in the historic neighbourhoods.
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How long have you had the fibreglass love2browse? It doesn't get offered as an option much, other than doors. It's always wood, vinyl or aluminum. I worry about weathering with vinyl, and paint on aluminum can peel and chip. Wood is just too much maintenance. My SIL is thinking she wants black windows, so I'm thinking vinyl might fade over time too. I wonder about black fibreglass?
  • love2browse
    10 years ago
    They were expensive, so I did them in two phases (I have over 33 windows). I originally had wood windows with storms added. I did the back side of my house about three years ago. It faces, so the paint and caulk was cracking and peeling not to mention feeling the cold air come in.. We took advantage of the Government rebate. Vinyl windows only came in a few colors and the frames were so bulky. That's what lead me to Marvin's. They come more colors, frames were less bulky, and you could make the interiors a different colors or paintable and they are one of the highly rated windows.. I had a previous house where I put in vinyl replacement windows. If I move and need to do it again, I would do fiberglass. I swear I feel more air coming through my walls with the cold polar vortex winds! Hope your SIL gets quality contractors.
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked love2browse
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks love2browse. I will tell my SIL to look into the Marvin fibreglass windows. Because she's building a custom home, she can pick any materials she wants; she's not stuck with the builder-grade materials that they use to just throw up houses with these days. She has a lot of confidence in her builder and he won't allow her to use shoddy products.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    I will suggest that you also consider a Canadian mfr. called Loewen. Their "Stormforce" line is likely competitive with Marvin, in terms of performance and cost. Also, I am partial to fir windows and these folks make a nice window and, if you like a folding patio door, theirs is very nice, too.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Loewen windows are beautiful, but during my research they came in at greater cost than Marvin. But they did look first rate. Just fyi.
  • kerrybalch5
    10 years ago
    True divided light is old school because they are truly individual pieces of glass. SDL is the way to go (single divided light). Jeld-Wen window and door would be a great resource.
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked kerrybalch5
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Jn, are you stateside? I know with our currency at par, and the shipping, maybe that is a contributing factor? VG fir is not inexpensive, as well.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Yes, the home is being built near Seattle. Almost Canada!
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    10 years ago
    Hi guys...grills are not really interchangeable with muntins in the window world. Grills, when discussing the dividing of the window lights (each pane is a "light") were/are the snap in plastic bits used to dress up REALLY cheap vinyl window. Your window salesperson will know the difference and if you say grills...you may get them!
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked Ironwood Builders
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    As a Brit I'd like to say three things; we say espresso, but bizarrely the French say expresso. Muntins add character. Marvin windows are lovely but very expensive in the UK.
    Lesley Delle_Grazie thanked Victoria
  • rbcola
    10 years ago
    I'm in the window "due diligence" mode as well for a new home build. Our home design is ….Fr. Country Eclectic" I would say. We are in S. IN
    We have the muntin/mullion/grill style and, like you Lesley, having them inside the grill for cleaning benefits seems like a "no-brainer". However, a side of me (which leans contemporary!) like the ones you pop out to clean the window….or for that matter have the option to put in the garage and get the full view. However, my builder feels the real thing is better….but I'm still assessing.
    I posted a "design delimma" discussion to solicit comments on Anderson (Architectural or Eagle which is what both the architect and the building materials supplier recommended/promoted) and an alternative Jeld-Wen Siteline EX. The J-WSEX could save us $$ (10K?). However, I feel somewhat limited on the exterior color option (want dark chocolate), and some negative reviews.
    I've also learned about Quaker Windows which is headquartered in MO. So not too far away. Their Brighton series (wood, extruded vs Jeld-Wen rolled aluminum clad). Each window is made to "order"/custom but somewhat limited on wood choices. Fine w/pine wood except my husband's office needs wood stained window frame. So, I'm still info gathering to compare.
    I agree, Marvin has an excellent reputation but may be out of our overall budget on their higher end. I did look at Marvin Integrity but didn't feel it compared as well to the others (Jeld-Wen EX Siteline, Quaker Brighton series).
    Overall I've kept in constant assessment and it can be frustrating never having all my questions/concerns resolved to this point..seems like I've been on this quest for almost a month. Right now it looks like I will end up with the Jeld-Wen but until I resolve or give up on my my due diligence check list….or my builder says….DECIDE NOW: I'm still assessing.
    Like you, Lesley- I value Houzz.com tremendously. I tell all the building suppliers, contractors "get your business" listed, get involved in the discussions because it benefits everyone. And I thank each of you private or professional people for contributing/responding to comments/questions!
    Related to my project - one thing I may take more seriously is to keep the front (traditional look w/grills) and the back without for the view - heavily wooded behind the recreational area.
    FYI: My husband and I have had (when we lived in SFL) and love plantation shutters. He is light sensitive and I want sunlight, views, etc. The shutters help keep the marriage in tact…LOL…..We meet each other half way in positioning the shutters, etc. Hope to do that again. Not cheap but worth all the benefits in my opinion.
  • Stewart Colley
    9 years ago
    I'm having the same dilemma. Mine is a "Mountain" style home much like the lodges you would find in western resorts but not so grand. I have a nice long-distance view of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The style of the home and the drawings call for divided lights but the view would indicate no divisions. I'm thinking of going with something along the prairie style with divided lights along the top of the windows and none below that. However I still am unsure if that would seem out of place in this style of architecture.
  • PRO
    Royal Windows Manufacturing Corporation
    8 years ago

Unobstructed
    views even with grills between the glass. Photo of Custom Window Unit
    with Slim Line Grills between the glass.Easy to clean and no need to
    take them off and on by #royalwindowsanddoors.com

• janedoe2012
    8 years ago
    When I am house shopping, either between the glass or pop on/off grills result in me immediately deducting the cost of replacing all the windows from the price I would otherwise pay.

I really can't stand them, and I don't understand the reasoning behind them. Why try to fake something, but basically advertise that they are fake? They are like really bad boob jobs - looks good when you first put them in to people who don't know any better. But after you live with them for a while you realize you should have done more research.

I don't have a problem with SDL (in fact I will be installing some this year), but I can't stand totally implausible attempts to simulate individual panes of glass. So I guess my gripe is with the execution, and not the concept. But if I were building g a new custom house I would prefer no grills or muntins to obviously fake ones.
  • Stewart Colley
    8 years ago

I really like the snap-in dividers. They can be removed for easy cleaning and/or when you don't want the grid and snapped in when you want that cozy cottage feeling. More versatile I think. There is no need to replace the windows if you don't like them as you can remove them lol.

7 years ago

Fixed grill between glass is one of several options Pella offers. Easy clean I think the contractor was giving her good advice if she is concerned with cleaning . It's a feature she might enjoy if she gets salt water residue or air conditioner condensation. Grill vs no Grill preference. I have the same windows with similar view and I love the look.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.